View Full Version : long lost Peregrine

Dennis Samnee
12-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Help me help someone find their falconry bird.
I picked up a immy Peregrine that landed on someones handrail in Sullivan Mo.I have called the Mo Dept of Conservation and they tried to track the breeder by band # and they think it did not come from our division.They have emailed other divisions of USFWS to track the # and they do have enouph staff to track it till after the new yr.Also called World Bird Sanctuary,posted Raptors Nest found,NAFEX found left a message with transmitter manufacturer with the #s that are on the transmitter..So far the bird does not seem to have come from around this area.
I have fed enouph now since the 27th to have it in pretty good shape now and it weighs in about 600 grams.May be a anatum but I think it is a tiercel Peales.Who knows I may be way off.So if you know of some one who has lost a Peregrine let them know I have one in my possession and to call me.
Can you folks think of another way to go about finding its owner?
Dennis Samnee
636-337-7109

biggsley
01-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Is it not kosher to publish/make known the Federal band number?

borderhawk
01-01-2011, 11:31 AM
If it has a federal band number on it, the feds should have it archived. They are "national" after all and should be able to trace it anywhere in the country. I would say to wait until you get an answer from USFW before doing anything else.
Does it even have transmitters on it?

Hawkmom
01-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Frustratingly, the USFWS band number for tracing a lost bird is essentially USELESS. I have NEVER heard of a banded bird being traced to it's falconer. Other than a falconer having matching paperwork and contacting the finder. There is no database that can trace lost or recovered birds. Ridiculous!!!!

The transmitter manufacturer will be your best bet in locating the falconer.

That is how my recovered male prairie falcon was traced to me in 1985. LL Electronics keeps his records current. My bird was lost in Thurmont, MD and recovered in Burlington, VT (400 miles away) a MONTH later through LL's excellent record keeping. That is why I'm so loyal to them. www.radiotracking.com

Guys, I sell ID tags on Ebay. I donate sets of tags to NAFEX, NAFA, meets, etc. Check it out. My goal is to have all of our beloved birds marked with their falconer ID info. Why falconers don't do this is beyond me. The cost is reasonable.

Tom Smith
01-01-2011, 12:13 PM
If it has a federal band number on it, the feds should have it archived. They are "national" after all and should be able to trace it anywhere in the country. I would say to wait until you get an answer from USFW before doing anything else.
Does it even have transmitters on it?

That is another thing we don't get for our 100 bucks

goshawks00
01-01-2011, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=Hawkmom;165289]Frustratingly, the USFWS band number for tracing a lost bird is essentially USELESS. I have NEVER heard of a banded bird being traced to it's falconer. Other than a falconer having matching paperwork and contacting the finder. There is no database that can trace lost or recovered birds. Ridiculous!!

You are so absolutely right!! I have beat that drum, as I know you have, for to long. It is a shame that technology isn't available , or I should say used in times like this... They can trace a license num. on a vehicle in about 10 minutes, or less. why shouldn't they/ we be able to do the same with a band number. With the new on line 3-186 system it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to check bands ...
Maybe there is a market for a 'Hess' type band that would capture info for the falconer...

Lowachi
01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=Hawkmom;165289]Frustratingly, !!

They can trace a license num. on a vehicle in about 10 minutes, or less. why shouldn't they/ we be able to do the same with a band number. With the new on line 3-186 system it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to check bands ...
Maybe there is a market for a 'Hess' type band that would capture info for the falconer...
Oh, a license check runs faster than that, a criminal history may take 10 tho.:D

sevristh
01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Dennis,

One thing that occurred to me is to maybe try calling around to some of the breeders and asking if that band # was in their 'pile' so to speak. Granted, there are probably quite a few peregrine breeders in the states, but maybe start by hitting up the more well known. Just a thought.

PeteJ
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Posting a picture of it might be useful. Sometimes these birds can end up a long long way from home, even in a very short period of time. Also, seeing it might jog someone's memory as to knowing someone that might have had a new peale's or anatum or barbary or similar. I was told by our division USFWS person (past) to let her know relatively quickly when I lost a bird as often the come to her with the band number and it is easy to put two and two together when you know one is lost rather than have to go through all the paperwork. But yes, arguably it would be so much easier if you could just type in the number to track the owner down. Really this is a huge oversight in the whole process of putting seamless bands on the birds in the first place. The point was?????

frootdog
01-01-2011, 06:26 PM
My goal is to have all of our beloved birds marked with their falconer ID info. Why falconers don't do this is beyond me. The cost is reasonable.

The cost is not the reason. I don't want any more stuff on my bird than absolutely needed.

Dennis Samnee
01-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi all,
I didn't put the band # down because I didn't want somebody trying to claim the bird if it was not theirs. Believe me I am trying to find the owner.Have had about a half a dozen calls and so far nothing.
I have a guy in Wyoming that called last night after I went to bed.I just tried to call him back and I guess hie cell went dead about three different times.I called again and left a message.
This bird did have telemetry on it and I left a message with the manufacturer to see if they can track the only # I saw on it.
Our dept of Conservation said they have a database to track the breeder and then as soon as they find out who that was we can track the bird from there.
So I should find out something from them this wk.HOPEFULLY;)
I will post something if I find the owner.
Thanks for you help
Dennis Samnee

Ross
01-01-2011, 06:59 PM
The racing pigeon people use traceable bands and I have had several of my birds tracked back to me from AU bands. They can tell you over the phone in a few minutes who the band was sold to. They also respond to email inquiries. Possibly since the feds aren't doing it maybe NAFA would keep a database. Or AFC or NAFEX for that matter. With the feds backing out would it be possible for one of our organizations to take over band issuing and registry?

NMHighPlains
01-01-2011, 08:06 PM
The cost is not the reason. I don't want any more stuff on my bird than absolutely needed.

Stamp your phone number on the bracelets or write it on the transmitter, then.

I've told this story before but I once lured down a female peregrine using a shoelace and the ham from my lunch. Had 2 transmitters on her, both dead, and a round metal nametag. I called the number and got a lady in California. Bird turned out to belong to one of my co-workers and had been missing for 2 weeks. Thanks to the name tag, he had her back 30 minutes after I caught her.

Hawkmom
01-02-2011, 11:16 AM
And again, a bird with a name tag is re-united with it's falconer. Rather than sitting at a rehab facility. Some know how to deal with raptors, but enough are clueless. The thought of my falcon sitting in a facility that has NO CLUE of proper raptor and falconry handling techniques is enough to have ID on my birds. ALL of my birds wear TWO tags. A medium one, and a small one. Cheap insurance guys.

jfseaman
01-02-2011, 11:29 AM
It doesn't mean they will call.

jballone
01-02-2011, 12:11 PM
For Those Using Marshall Scout Transmitters:
I was at Marshall's website and they offer engraving to the lid of the scout for a small fee, exactly for situations like this :D

jfseaman
01-02-2011, 12:28 PM
I was at Marshall's website and they offer engraving to the lid of the scout for a small fee, exactly for situations like this :D
I have converted to this. Tail mount or trackpack and 'reward xxx-xxx-xxxx' engraved on the lid of the TX.

For guys that work for me or when I have to use a leg mount, I have id tags.

As a side note on ID tags, I believe that is what saved a couple birds from electrocution. The current passed through the bewett and id tag rather than through the birds. Before you start, these where not transformer electrocutions, but flybys. One a female gyr/peregrine, the other a female rednape. The hybrid few 1/2 miles on an outrun, the rednape had to have gone 2 miles when she was chased off the balloon by a tiercel prairie who wanted her starling. He killed it, she came back to it 5 hours later :eek:.

Pedioecetes
01-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I lost a first year Peregrine one winter that just vanished in the sky. The signals from both transmitters were strong, but I had to go a fair ways to get across the river. By the time I got about where I figured she was there was no signal and it was dark, and cold. I looked all the next day, putting on 2 tanks worth of gas for miles without anything. An hour after I got home the phone rang and a rancher over forty miles away asked if I was missing a "hawk". I said "yes" and he said she is sitting on a chair in his kitchen. He had seen her that morning when he was feeding his cows sitting on a post beside his corrals and didn't think anything of it. When he went out to feed in the late afternoon she was sitting on the gate post as he went to open it and he was surprised how tame it was. He drove his tractor through the gate and when he was done she was still there, so after putting his tractor away he walked over to her and heard her bell. He figured it must be someone's pet so he stuck his gloved hand out and she stepped up on it, carried her into the house and set her on the back of a chair. His wife noticed the phone number and he called me. I was there within an hour. She had a huge crop, which from the casting turned out to be a partridge. Without the name tag, I'd never have gotten her back. Incidentally, she, and all my birds, wore two bells, two transmitters, a black band and a name tag on their legs and killed 75 head that season. All that junk looks a bit much, but my birds can fly and over the years many have killed close to or over the 3 digit mark. I don't think I've ever handicapped my birds abilities. My own opinion, of course.

rrcoati
01-02-2011, 01:28 PM
I don't see why NAFA/AFC could offer closed bands to breeders one band on each leg, that way we could trace our birds That would be a service to N. American falconers and encourage membership.

Rabbit Jaeger
01-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I can't think of a base that you didn't cover. Good on you for all your efforts to reunite this bird with the owner. I hope this comes to a successful outcome shortly.

BTW, one of these days I want to get a hood for my female Harris from you.

Stay well

keitht
01-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Try flying him. If he flys high, hangs tight and kills stuff, I think it might be mine.

outhawkn
01-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Good thing it had telemtry on it..............confuseddtoungeout:D

hawkerev
01-02-2011, 04:21 PM

Joe,

Exactly what I did, the less stuff on the feet the better. Cost is $25.00 for the lid & inscription.

Dennis Samnee
01-06-2011, 02:08 AM
Well guys and gals.
I just got off of the phone and its midnight.I have to get up at 4;30 am for work and I don't even care because this guy is SO HAPPY,it made me happy.
The owner is from Mo, but far away from me!
It is Kevin Sudemeyer and is so excited!He said someone at L&L called him and told him.It was them that I called about the # on the transmitter.
This guy flew hrs in a plane and drove hundreds and hundreds of miles looking for his Peales tiercel.He is so stoked,he just couldn't believe it!
I guess the bird had only been lost for a day or two when someone in Sullivan picked it up off their handrail.I think he said he lost it Christmas day and I picked it up on the 27th.
I'll post some more after he comes to pick the bird up.
Nice to have a happy ending to this thread!:D
Dennis Samnee

FredFogg
01-06-2011, 02:30 AM
Well guys and gals.
I just got off of the phone and its midnight.I have to get up at 4;30 am for work and I don't even care because this guy is SO HAPPY,it made me happy.
It is Kevin Sudemeyer and is so excited!He said someone at L&L called him and told him.It was them that I called about the # on the transmitter.
This guy flew hrs in a plane and drove hundreds and hundreds of miles looking for his Peales tiercel.He is so stoked,he just couldn't believe it!
I guess the bird had only been lost for a day or two when someone in Sullivan picked it up off their handrail.I think he said he lost it Christmas day and I picked it up on the 27th.
Dennis Samnee

That is awesome Dennis! Kevin had a really rough 2010, so this should really make 2011 a lot better for him. Always great to see a bird and a falconer reunited! clappclappclapp

Hawkmom
01-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Exactly as to why I'm sooo loyal to LL. Another bird re-united with it's falconer through great record keeping. Thanks to LL Electronics, and to you for making sure the falconer is found.

YARAK191
01-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Maybe we can get LL to do the record keeping for the feds from now on!!!!!

sharptail
01-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Great job Dennis!

Falconman
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Everyone - I am not sure how to begin to say thank you. I'm in tears..

Dennis, sir, you have my heart felt gratitude.

As of the afternoon 1/5/2011 & since 11:15 am 12/25/2010 I had driven 891 miles with headphones on, two antennas on the roof of my truck, the receiver blaring - trying my best to locate my bird all day and all night...
I hired a pilot on two separate occasions - we flew a grid for many hours covering over 900 square miles flying 650 feet above ground listening for a transmitter signal. All to no avail...

Yesterday I received a call from L&L Electronics - they left a message, I was out looking for the bird, saying Dennis called - recovered my bird and transmitter and had provided them with the serial number of the transmitter. It was my old but trusty LF-3 Merlin transmitter. It was my bird - many prayers answered.

Believe me - last night I fell to my knees looked at the stars and thanked the lord for Dennis' tenacity - he never stopped trying to locate me.... God bless you Dennis...

The old transmitter will go back to Louis to "see if anything failed" as the receiver was beeping when the falcon left my fist - new batteries - the falcon went up and out of sight - I flushed game & waited for the "sizzling sound of the falcon in a full bore stoop" it never came - no bird - several minutes later, now no signal - I did see a giant female bald eagle several minute later after losing the signal & my heart sank...

I raced to the top of the nearest hill - no signal, swinging the lure - no bird - nothing. The search began - and now the search is over...

What I have learned is this - 1. Never stop looking - the bird is somewhere. 2. Pray Dennis Samnee is close...
3. Always wear telemetry - just like clean underwear - you'll never know when you'll need it - or how it will help recover your bird. The transmitter was not transmitting - perhaps it was a catastrophic multiple battery failure - however the serial number was recorded & maintained by L&L Electronics. Nice job L&L Electronics - thank you.

I know that persons from Missouri, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, & Idaho were involved in the recovery of this bird - God bless each of you...

I checked my log book this afternoon - in the previous 46 days of hunting - I hunted every day (except time recovering from an automobile accident) - prior to loss - the bird caught 52 head of quarry (birds) of all shape & size.

The tiercel Peales is extremely fit - I am not surprised he could fly as far as he did - I am surprised he did - he flew approximately 157 miles in fourteen hours... nice flight sorry I didn't see the whole thing - he was recovered with a crop... good bird, great bird...

Happy New Year Everyone - now I am going to take a nap...

Kevin R. Suedmeyer

amennn

JRedig
01-06-2011, 10:45 PM
So glad to read about a happy ending, good luck the rest of the season Kevin!

NMHighPlains
01-07-2011, 12:57 AM
That's cool.

FredFogg
01-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Kevin, so glad you got your bird back! There is another thread talking basically about how falcoenrs are all different and bull headed and argumentive but it is times like this that make me proud to be a falconer. When one of us is in need, there is never a shortage of other falconers out there to help. clappclappclapp

awahl
01-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Cool story. Glad to hear of the outcome. Congrats Kevin.

Jared
01-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Pictures of the couple?? :D

Jimmy
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I think Kevin should recieve the "best 1st post" award.......

Saluqi
01-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I think Kevin should recieve the "best 1st post" award.......

Agreed! (He even signed his name!)

redtailsrule
01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't think he gets the best 1st post... No pictures!!! Lol jk great story glad you got your bird back!

everetkhorton
01-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Kevin:
It is great new's that you got your falcon back.

Dennis Samnee
01-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Hey all,
I'll try to see if I can figure out how to post a pic after Kevin comes to pick up his bird.
Thanks to all that helped in this endeavor.
A special thanks to Julie Love of the Mo.Dept of Conservation.She called later that same morning that Kevin called me about his bird.Julie had found out the breeder in Idaho and we were going to contact them and trace the bird down from there.So the Fish and Wildlife Service had helped her to track the # in a different region.So thanks to them too.
Thanks to Fred Reinhold for calling me and letting me know about the lost bird.
Hey I know this bird is not mine, but it made me feel really good to help in any way I could.
Our raptor vet, Tim Sullivan told me he would help Kevin with imping in some new feathers as the non falconer who originally got the bird didn't really know how to care for him.His feathers are really trashed but who cares at least he is going back to where he belongs.
Happy hawking
Dennis Samnee

Lowachi
01-08-2011, 01:10 AM
thumbsupp. you seem to keep the Great Spirit watchin ya bro! Again, congrats on yer lil buddy's return.

Rabbit Jaeger
01-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Well guys and gals.
Dennis Samnee

Great job Dennis!

Dennis Samnee
01-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi falconers
I took pics today of Kevin and his bird getting back together.I have never figured how to post pics.I had a rush order on a lure I was trying to finish tonight after flying my falcon ,so I ran out of time.Tomorrow I have a couple of things I have to do after work so no flying.I will try to post the pics tomorrow night if I have enouph time to figure it out.You guys and gals will like this I'm sure. I did!
This guy is FIRST CLASS A # 1
Dennis Samnee

sevristh
01-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Dennis,

It's pretty easy to post pics. Make an account at www.photobucket.com and upload them to the site (pretty easy and straight forward, just click upload button and browse for their location on your computer). Once this is done, you will see a couple different 'codes' below each picture. Copy and past the 'IMG' code into your message. Leave at least one space on each side of the code. That's it!

Other than that, if you want, you can email them to me and I'll post em for you. sevristh@charter.net

sevristh
01-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Here are the pics Dennis just sent to me...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/sevristh69/KevinS1-1.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/sevristh69/KevinS2.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/sevristh69/KevinS3.jpg

Gotta love the man hug! :D

bgibson
01-11-2011, 04:33 PM
brothers don't shake hands....... brothers hug! a little "tommy boy" lingo:D

Jared
01-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Nice Finish!photoo

FredFogg
01-11-2011, 08:35 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/sevristh69/KevinS2.jpg

Very nice! But I have to say to Dennis, love that piece of furniture behind the peregrine! I love old wood furniture, they don't make them now days like they used to! I have a side board that is very similar.

SoutheastHawker
01-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Awesome job, Dennis! Glad you got your bird back Kevin! clapp Hope your seasons are going great!

Hawkmom
01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
So glad to see a bird re-united with it's falconer. Great job everyone!!!

mosman
01-11-2011, 10:41 PM
I gotta say I like the wood tool box on the table in the second photo... I have always liked them and will get one for my "hobby" stuff sooner or later

mosman
01-11-2011, 10:43 PM
I gotta say I like the wood tool box on the table in the third photo... I have always liked them and will get one for my "hobby" stuff sooner or later

Falconman
01-14-2011, 11:24 PM
The time has come - the bird is home & on weight, transmitters working (new batteries - again), receiver is just clicking away - two antennas on the roof of the truck - dogs ready - lure garnished. Boys, I'm nervous - the butterflies are working their magic - the sun will be on horizon in nine hours - we're gone...

If anyone hears my echos of joy - rejoice - echos of sorrow - I'm flying on 216.064 & 216.046.

I've said my prayers, fingers are crossed, bought bigger boots so I could cross my toes... have a branch of sage tied to the front of my truck - have my lucky rabbit foot bone - the fur wore off when I was ten (that was a long time ago). Why am I so nervous? What could go wrong?

I'll tell ya - the bird could disappear into the heavens, fly 170 miles in fourteen hours - that's another story for another time...

Regards to all - time to take a nap.

Kevin R. Suedmeyer

Dennis Samnee
01-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Well Kevin,
How did it go?
Dennis Samnee

Falconman
01-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Dennis,

First flight - all is well - spent about seven minutes on the wing & he was tired... Half-hearted stoop at a crow - I am certain that 19 consecutive days without flying has tempered this first flight.
We'll go slow and build him back up - our second duck season begins shortly.
I was a little disappointed - not in the bird but rather in myself - I set my expectations of the bird too high & it was unrealistic.
We'll move forward on his schedule and hunting every day should get him back into shape - again...

Thanks again brother - hope all is well on your end...

Kevin

Flatwater Falconer
01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
:D

Love happy endings!!

Hooray x3!

Kevin - so glad you're up and running.

longwinger2010
01-16-2011, 06:49 PM
I just love happy endings....clappclappclapp

amennn