PDA

View Full Version : UK RED TAIL NUT FROM ENGLAND

RED_TAIL
10-18-2007, 09:43 PM
So here i am, good to meet you all.
As you can probably work out i am a red Tail nut from England.
I own a Red Tail, Harris Hawk, and until recently a Pere/Saker.

I have mainly come on here as you guys love your Red Tails, not that many owners of them in the UK compared with HH flyers
Hope its fun[smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Jimmy
10-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Good to have you, Nut. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

sharptail
10-18-2007, 11:01 PM
welcome!

chamokane
10-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Howdy.

What do you hunt with your birds?

RED_TAIL
10-20-2007, 03:53 AM
Just about anything.
We have a wide variety here from snakes to pheasant and Hare [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

qdgban
10-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Just about anything.
We have a wide variety here from snakes to pheasant and Hare [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

snakes ? you flying in a zoo ? besides the fact that theres barely a snake in the uk over 3 ft long ( and thats a daft as a brush non poisonus grass snake )theyre hardly a commonly taken quarry in fact your the first ive heard mention it, do you live in dorset?

i fly a FRT amongst other things

RED_TAIL
10-20-2007, 05:39 PM
There snakes and here is one taken by my FHH last season and my MRT this season.

Just because you have never heard of it it does not mean it does not happen. [smilie=icon_pray.gif]

Here you are..... [smilie=icon_toilet.gif]

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/harrishawk_rt/EMMAONSNAKE1.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/harrishawk_rt/PICT0461.jpg

qdgban
10-20-2007, 07:10 PM
wow a killer grass snake what was it going to do hiss you to death
im more interested in the medival metal work on the reds leg? [smilie=eusa_think.gif]

RED_TAIL
10-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Can somebody enlighten me what this person is on?
I come here say hello answer a question (snakes are snakes whether its a grass snake or anaconda). I said snakes as just a loose term not 'Highly venemous large snakes'

The medievel metal work is on a straight forward clip that clips onto the bird.
'Clipping up' ...so its not around the birds leg. I have seen it used many a time in the US.

I have no idea who or what you are but please will others enlighten me that you are all not like him/her.

Who are you?....Please PM me .

qdgban
10-21-2007, 05:51 AM
sorry i shall clarify,i wasnt being facetious i was simply making the point that our US friends should not be under the illusion that snakes are a common or even tangible quarry for a hh or redtail in the UK
ive caught everything from shrews,frogs ,mice,worms and little owls (and saved them im glad to say) with my hh's (i fly a cast) but i wouldnt class them as a quarry species,i just thought it was funny knowing how harmless a grass snake is (for the uninitiated its as easily pickup able as a corn snake and generally a lot smaller)that you should consider it a quarry species

actually your lucky to live in an area where there are enough to get caught on at least 2 occaisions! so that was a bit of fun

as for the chain on the anklet ,why, whats wrong with the bird is it likely to fly off from you,do you have problems in the exchange/taking it up with it? as thats the only reason i can see for attaching it to a rather ugly clip a simple threaded leash would be even more secure ,if that is the purpose
and personally id snip the end of that cable tie as they can be quite sharp and ive seen them cause leg damage

RED_TAIL
10-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks for your reply by PM it does seem we both got the wrong end of the stick.

However, (as in this case) he had taken the quarry very close to a very used bridleway on a sunday and was his entering kill, i think that the whole situation needed to be secured.

it was a eyass.

It was its first Kill

It was very close to a busy bridleway on a sunday

I had not picked him up off quarry yet so was very un-sure how he would react.

I see your point and agree that 12 kills down the line if trained properly it should not need to happen but considering the circumstances above i think it was definately the right thing to do.

And i might add the old medievel chain is actually B&Q finest chain most expensive chain in the section [smilie=smileys13.gif]

robhawkyyz
10-21-2007, 02:54 PM
take the quarry you can !!! good to have you here! what kind of snake is that ? it is still bird food...

robhawkyyz
10-21-2007, 03:01 PM
I forgot to ask, and it may sound dumb... do you all have redtails there in the wild.

qdgban
10-21-2007, 03:49 PM
no we dont rob although i suspect theres a reasonable number of escaped birds knocking about
the snakes are grass snakes (harmless constrictor grows up to 1.75m long)
we also have a poisonous one called the adder /common viper up to about 2ft long the bite can be serious if not treated in good time but is rarely fatal
the smooth snake similar in appearance to the grass snake and without seeing the head it could easily be either of the ones in the pictures as it particularly popular around where redtail lives
and there is also the slow worm which is often refferd to as a snake but is actually a legless lizard

robhawkyyz
10-21-2007, 04:01 PM
so what's up with the redtails, are they captive bred over there? i'm just curious. my mother was from Scotland and always talked about Wales but i don't know much else about the area...

qdgban
10-21-2007, 04:06 PM
and with a name like yours !!! was your mother welsh?

all captive bred ,i dont know of anyone importing these days especially in light of bird flu etc
as for gods country (wales ) i suggest you get yourself a trip over ive travelled all over the states i suppose the nearest i could compare it too are that parts are similar to the blue ridge mountain area not a very good comparison im afraid but i can think of anywhere else unless you start talking about banff and the rockies on a smaller scale and of course we can sing like no other nation ! [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

sorry redtail for hijacking your thread ,still itll be a long intro ! [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

RED_TAIL
10-22-2007, 05:08 AM

all captive bred ,i dont know of anyone importing these days especially in light of bird flu etc
as for gods country (wales ) i suggest you get yourself a trip over ive travelled all over the states i suppose the nearest i could compare it too are that parts are similar to the blue ridge mountain area not a very good comparison im afraid but i can think of anywhere else unless you start talking about banff and the rockies on a smaller scale and of course we can sing like no other nation ! [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

sorry redtail for hijacking your thread ,still itll be a long intro ! [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

No problem.

To be honest in my opinion if beginners had a RT first they would learn more. And if it did escape it would survive.
If a HH (which seems to be the beginners bird over here) escapes which a lot of them do if they survive one or two of our winters they are lucky.
Its not the cold that kills them its the frost.

Yes the welsh can sing, and they can eeeerrrrr [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] [smilie=sleepy2.gif]

robhawkyyz
10-22-2007, 09:02 PM

about as welsh as could be , her maiden name is Welsh... I almost had a chance to go there when i worked for a Rolls Royce dealer but it didn't happen. Someday so i can see where i came from i'll visit and I'll get in touch with some of you fellow falconers...