PDA

View Full Version : Harris hawks raising a coops?

dtl8686
01-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Has anyone ever heard of or experienced other birds raising a wild eyas? In specific, I was wondering about harris hawks raising a wild Coopers hawk. Anybody know if this has been done? How did the birds turn out?

I would be interested to hear about any accipiters raised by this method and what the opinions are of those who have actually done this or seen it done. If you haven't done or seen this, please, reserve your opinion. I am looking for factual information. Plenty of opinions here.

Thanks,

Hawkmom
01-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Floyd Presley's old RT Quinny was a surrogate to many birds, Harris, even Coops too. She was an imprint RT and would only let few people near her mews. She has been dead since the lat 80's I believe.

goshawks00
01-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Dave, a few years back I raised coop using one of my older goshawks... Problem was the gos was a very protective female and anyone that came near the chamber set her off... She was very aggressive and extremely animated in her attacks against the chamber bars... It seemed to be transfered over the the coop which, I think became very unmanageable and didn't do so well , as I remember, as a falconry bird.

dtl8686
01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. I wonder how that may be different by having the Harris' do it. They allow you in the chambers and are over all very calm. I just wonder if the Harris' being around the bird will make the bird realize it isn't human and thereby have some respect. I would think this would be the best of 2 worlds. The respect of a chamber bird ( by respect I mean having some fear of you, thereby no face bating.) and the calmer nature of an imprint ( only by having the human exposure in the chamber daily).

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Jimmy
01-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Any thoughts?

Depends on the HH's that are doing the raising. If they're protective of the chamber like some of mine are, I suspect the bird would pick up some of that reaction towards you. Once manned it likely wouldn't be an issue though.

We pulled a coop from a nest at my place last year. We thought about letting my birds raise it, but the timing wasn't quite right.