PDA

View Full Version : AZ raptor lotto

murraym
01-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know the state of AZ will be accepting applications for resident/nonresident permits for the take of Peregrine falcons, Northern Gos hawks, and Harris hawks. Permits will be accepted starting February 22 until March 15. Permits are a $7.50 but you also have to buy a non-resident hunt license ($151.25) to put in.

If you go to azgfd.gov then click hunting and fishing on the left. From that page click on rules and regulations then you can download the 2010-2011 raptor regs.

sevristh
01-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Matt,

Any idea on how many permits for each species will be issued? That hurts to have to buy the license in order to be put in the drawing. I guess it's along the same lines as a quota deer hunt, but they fail to realize that while hunters will most likely still hunt deer elsewhere in the state if they are not drawn for a quota hunt, a falconer from out of state will most likely have no use for the license if they are not drawn in the lottery.

hawking
01-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Matt,

Any idea on how many permits for each species will be issued? That hurts to have to buy the license in order to be put in the drawing. I guess it's along the same lines as a quota deer hunt, but they fail to realize that while hunters will most likely still hunt deer elsewhere in the state if they are not drawn for a quota hunt, a falconer from out of state will most likely have no use for the license if they are not drawn in the lottery.

Can someone clear this up, is it possible to obtain a nonresident trap permit if you live out of country and intend to export the bird?

murraym
01-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Matt,

Dave, there are 3 Peregrine permits, 3 Goshawk, and 10 Harris permits. I dont know the "draw odds" but I think there are usually left overs. I will ask our G&F guy tommorow for you to see what they typically are.

I agree with the system not being the greatest. It seems like a lot of money to put up to maybe get a chance to maybe trap or pull a bird. I think an application fee with the full fee if you are drawn would be more "fair". I think our current system is there to gain more money from our big game tags as we are known to have big elk and our "strip deer" are world class mule deer.

If you draw a permit and can legally export the bird out of the country our regualations do not prohibit that.

Coopergirl
01-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I put in for an AZ Harris for the first time last year, and got it. Not sure if I was lucky or maybe the demand is not all that great? Anyhow got my permit, had a good trip trapping and my bird is flying and catching game. Did they push back the application time, I thought it was in Jan last year?