PDA

View Full Version : New regs and out of state take

SimoneBird
01-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Does anyone know where information might be available about new state regs and out of state take? I am interested in flying a pygmy owl but my state (WA) does not allow take. They do, however, allow you to possess one for falconry. I am trying to figure out if nearby states (i.e. ID and MT just passed new regs) allow take of that species AND out of state take. I haven't been able to find the info and have emailed the clubs for those states, etc. Any ideas? I doubt the info is all in one place but it would be so helpful if it was!

mainefalconer
01-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Simone,

Idaho is now operating under their newly approved regulations, and I would guess that you could find a copy on their state Fish and Game Dept. website, or request a hard copy by calling their office. And congrats also, for being in one of the other states that got their regs passed this year.

goshawkr
01-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know where information might be available about new state regs and out of state take? I am interested in flying a pygmy owl but my state (WA) does not allow take. They do, however, allow you to possess one for falconry. I am trying to figure out if nearby states (i.e. ID and MT just passed new regs) allow take of that species AND out of state take. I haven't been able to find the info and have emailed the clubs for those states, etc. Any ideas? I doubt the info is all in one place but it would be so helpful if it was!

Hey Simone,

You dont have to limit this to states on the new federal regulations.

The old federal regulations allowed owls for falconry as well. Most states had a state level regulation limiting it to great horned owls only, includeing washington, based on a restriction that the feds had in place in the early 80s. I dont know when that federal limitation to GHO only disappeared, but it did at some point.

harrishawk_79
01-10-2011, 01:54 PM
well as most states allowed owls to be used in falconry michgan didnt allow trapping of them until this yr.but you could go to another state and trap it and bring it back to michgan and use it for falconry

SimoneBird
01-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the info everyone!

FredFogg
01-12-2011, 02:57 AM
If I may ask, what game were you planning on flying a pygmy owl on?

SimoneBird
01-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Fred,

Good question! I would fly it on sparrows and starlings and perhaps even larger prey. I have seen numerous photos of pygmy owls with sparrows, kingbirds, even a robin and a quail. Type "pygmy owl prey" into Google and there are some photos of them with birds their size or larger. If I ever do get one I will certainly let everyone know how it goes.

goshawkr
01-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi Fred,

Good question! I would fly it on sparrows and starlings and perhaps even larger prey. I have seen numerous photos of pygmy owls with sparrows, kingbirds, even a robin and a quail. Type "pygmy owl prey" into Google and there are some photos of them with birds their size or larger. If I ever do get one I will certainly let everyone know how it goes.

She is just being modest. She is going to be taking ducks, huns, and pheasants with it.

Hopefully your owl wont get you stuck under a fence in your mad rush to help on the kill though. :D

mainefalconer
01-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Nice one Geoff! I take it you heard the story about our gal Simone out there doing her thing! (and maybe saw that photo as well!!) I think you're right, she'll be pulling down geese with the damn thing before long. It's good to see you here Simone. You practice our sport with a passion that is inspirational.

keitht
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Well why not? Remember, Mannix took sparrows with a toad.

FredFogg
01-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Hi Fred,

Never even seen a pygmy owl, other than pictures on the web, so that was why I was asking. And yeah, definately start a thread on it if you get one, would love to see more done with owls. We all know the potential they have but from what I have seen, it really takes a special falconer to be successful. I, for one, would love to see more folks flying owls succesfully! clapp

goshawkr
01-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Nice one Geoff! I take it you heard the story about our gal Simone out there doing her thing! (and maybe saw that photo as well!!) I think you're right, she'll be pulling down geese with the damn thing before long. It's good to see you here Simone. You practice our sport with a passion that is inspirational.

Ya, I did hear the story. Made me real mad, she was hunting "my" duck spots when it happened. :D

REYNALDO
01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
ok now guys...be nice:D like what fred said owls have potential... even the pygmy owl.
probably when people started thinking and even using kestrels in falconry people probably thought of the same thing. now look where they are at now.
they are so freaking cute though i want one now.
yes please post about it if you do get one.

sandman
01-12-2011, 11:30 PM
... I, for one, would love to see more folks flying owls succesfully! clapp

I'll second that clapp

SimoneBird
01-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks Scott. And why yes, I think I will try geese with my pygmy :)

Geoff-I did not know that was a spot where you hunted! But then again, I guess lots of people go there, huh?

I'll keep everyone updated! I think it is going to be hard to secure a pygmy owl anytime soon, though.

FredFogg
01-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks Scott. And why yes, I think I will try geese with my pygmy :)

Geoff-I did not know that was a spot where you hunted! But then again, I guess lots of people go there, huh?

I'll keep everyone updated! I think it is going to be hard to secure a pygmy owl anytime soon, though.

Ok, Simone, I am just going to warn you, even though your name is in your ID (same with me), if that is your first name, one of the few rules on here is you have to sign each post with at least your first name. The easiest way is to change your Signature by clicking on User CP, it will put whatever you put in there to each post. If I didn't tell you, someone else would eventually. LOL :D

SimoneBird
01-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Thank you for the heads up!

goshawkr
01-13-2011, 01:03 PM

I hope you realise I was just kidding about it being my spot.

I suppose I shouldnt joke about that since so many falconers, and other hunters in general, get very possive of their hunting turf. Sometimes that anger gets very pathetic. There is a falconer in Ellensburg that goes into an extreme mental snit if any hunts within 20 miles of his house. He would probably react more civilly to someone he found in bed with his wife than someone he found hawking in the valley he lives in.

I dont have exclusive land owner permission, I didnt lease it, I didnt buy it. Your just as entiteled as I am to hunt it. Particularly since I didnt show it to you.

Even when people hunt out my spots I dont care, I can always find other places to go. If they cant, thats there problem.

SimoneBird
01-13-2011, 09:20 PM
I figured as much Geoff :) No worries. And yes, very true, there are lots of spots! Just have to do a bit of driving around to find them! Don't worry though, those ducks are safe from Hula till next fall. Damn!