PDA

View Full Version : Just a couple of pics from 1/29/11

RT-Angel Fire
01-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Here's my boys hot on the trail of a Jack. i wish I could tell you that it ended in success but it didn't. I wouldn't change a thing though. That Jack deserved to get away. He was wise and intense!http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x392/rtangelfire/Goodpic.jpg

Here's me and the boys(and girl) going home happy but empty handed. Lola was a bit heavy today cause I didn't think I'd be hunting so I fed her up yesterday. She still flew like the Red Baron but she wasn't willing to take the abuse.........Oh well at least she got some exercise and I got some photos.http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x392/rtangelfire/DSC_0069.jpg

Dakota
01-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Excellent!!!

biskwisk
01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
are you hunting your bird off of your fist? in tree-less settings i have had success with the aid of a tall, telescoping, t-perch. the taller the better! it gives the red-tails a little more of the gravity umph the need.

KEEP AFTER THEM!

sharptail
01-30-2011, 02:31 AM
Great foto, nice big red tail, thanks for sharing!

Rachael
01-30-2011, 09:58 AM
:) 'Lovin the hat & outfit... and yeah the RT & dogs..

Squirrelhawkin
01-30-2011, 11:20 AM
That looks like it would be a blast! Is that a walker hound? Does he bark while running the jacks? That would make it even better! I love running hounds. Good luck.:D

raptrlvr
01-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Nice shots Robert. Ill have to make a trip up and hawk that country with you sometime.

RT-Angel Fire
01-30-2011, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=biskwisk;171218]are you hunting your bird off of your fist? in tree-less settings i have had success with the aid of a tall, telescoping, t-perch. the taller the better! it gives the red-tails a little more of the gravity umph the need.

Yeah I'm hunting off of the fist. You're absolutley right though as the winter comes to a close I'm finding it more difficult to get a handle on these smart and healthy ones.

RT-Angel Fire
01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
:) 'Lovin the hat & outfit... and yeah the RT & dogs..
Thanks Rachael, Women can't resist me when I put on the George Straight hat and that old upland game coat. LOL JK actually that coat smells like a dead animal and I think the hat reveals my extra chin.

RT-Angel Fire
01-30-2011, 01:04 PM
That looks like it would be a blast! Is that a walker hound? Does he bark while running the jacks? That would make it even better! I love running hounds. Good luck.:D
Since I was A boy and read (where the red furn grows) I wanted to have a hound. This is my third hound. I started with Blue tics and did the coon hunting thing for a while but I'm just not a night person.....It was a great excuse to stay out until the next morning cause my girlfriend at the time knew I loved to coonunt so I never got questioned as long as I took the trio of Blue tics. LOL This is my first Walker and HECK YEAH he bays when he's got the scent or see's one and let me tell you it's sweet music to me. I absilutley love that old hound dog and I'll always have one.

RT-Angel Fire
01-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Nice shots Robert. Ill have to make a trip up and hawk that country with you sometime.
Jim, I hate to sound like a broken record but if not for Nikon, Subaru and Lake Roberts I wouldn't be doing this. So I have to thank you again....I am far from reaching you're abilities with a camera but I continue to try. It's FREAKIN HARD! It's a lot to carry and seems like nothing ever goes right when the action is perfect......I'm not giving up though. I've got to go to T or C in a couple of weeks and I was thinking of heading out your way. I'll PM you when I get ready to go. I'd really like to get out with you at least once this season.

Squirrelhawkin
01-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Since I was A boy and read (where the red furn grows) I wanted to have a hound. This is my third hound. I started with Blue tics and did the coon hunting thing for a while but I'm just not a night person.....It was a great excuse to stay out until the next morning cause my girlfriend at the time knew I loved to coonunt so I never got questioned as long as I took the trio of Blue tics. LOL This is my first Walker and HECK YEAH he bays when he's got the scent or see's one and let me tell you it's sweet music to me. I absilutley love that old hound dog and I'll always have one.
Lol,me too. I had blueticks since I was a kid,coon dogs and beagles.(True to the blue here,my brother in law used to run Walkers,I had to think it over before I married into that family! :D) I'd love to have more coonhounds,but it's way too built up around here to run them now. For years I worked at UPS from 6am-9am,then head out on a logging job until 4 or 5,come home sleep till 11 then head out coonhunting until I had to go to work at UPS in the morning. Running the jacks must be fun,gotta sound awesome on a sight chase! Hope ya post up some more pics!

raptrlvr
01-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Robert, believe me, I know that "nothing ever goes right" with the camera. You are doing every bit as good as I do with your shots. Its got to be right place, right time and decent equipment to get a good shot off. It will get easier as you go along, but, there will always be those shots that are not keepers. Just try and have a good time with your camera and don't worry about the shots.If they turn out good keep them{ post them for us to see}, if not, delete them and try again. I shoot in Aperture Priority, ISO 400 and try to use the fastest shutter speed I can. Sometimes that means I am shooting with a wide open aperture and sometimes on a bright sunny day I'll be able to shoot all the way up to F7 on the aperture. Also, go into your menu and set your camera up so that your AF is set on the AF-ON button on the back of your camera. That way, you can use your thumb to hold down the AF-ON button continuously while you shoot the pictures. If you don't do this, then your camera has to AF every time you release the shutter. You have a D90, so, its pretty good at ISO 400. Let me know when you head my way and we will try and get some hawking in together.

RT-Angel Fire
01-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Lol,me too. I had blueticks since I was a kid,coon dogs and beagles.(True to the blue here,my brother in law used to run Walkers,I had to think it over before I married into that family! :D) I'd love to have more coonhounds,but it's way too built up around here to run them now. For years I worked at UPS from 6am-9am,then head out on a logging job until 4 or 5,come home sleep till 11 then head out coonhunting until I had to go to work at UPS in the morning. Running the jacks must be fun,gotta sound awesome on a sight chase! Hope ya post up some more pics!
I'll try to get some video in this week so you can heat him sound off. What I love best is that he tells a story. You know what I'm talking about. It's just like coonhunting. If you remember just listening to the hounds on a pitch black night you could tell when the chase began and when the coon was in the tree just by the tones and inflections in the baying as the hunt went on.

RT-Angel Fire
01-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Robert, believe me, I know that "nothing ever goes right" with the camera. You are doing every bit as good as I do with your shots. Its got to be right place, right time and decent equipment to get a good shot off. It will get easier as you go along, but, there will always be those shots that are not keepers. Just try and have a good time with your camera and don't worry about the shots.If they turn out good keep them{ post them for us to see}, if not, delete them and try again. I shoot in Aperture Priority, ISO 400 and try to use the fastest shutter speed I can. Sometimes that means I am shooting with a wide open aperture and sometimes on a bright sunny day I'll be able to shoot all the way up to F7 on the aperture. Also, go into your menu and set your camera up so that your AF is set on the AF-ON button on the back of your camera. That way, you can use your thumb to hold down the AF-ON button continuously while you shoot the pictures. If you don't do this, then your camera has to AF every time you release the shutter. You have a D90, so, its pretty good at ISO 400. Let me know when you head my way and we will try and get some hawking in together.
Thank for the tips Jim. You're right. I've had to remind myself recently that I do this because I love it. I started getting stressed if the dogs or the hawk didn't perform well or if I coudn't get a good pic. I'd like to think I'm not alone in that regard. It can be a bit stressful at times if you're not willing to accept all aspects of the hunt.

Squirrelhawkin
01-30-2011, 04:38 PM
I'll try to get some video in this week so you can heat him sound off. What I love best is that he tells a story. You know what I'm talking about. It's just like coonhunting. If you remember just listening to the hounds on a pitch black night you could tell when the chase began and when the coon was in the tree just by the tones and inflections in the baying as the hunt went on.

Cool,I'd love to see(hear) the vid. Yep,I know exactly what you mean.:D

RT-Angel Fire
01-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Cool,I'd love to see(hear) the vid. Yep,I know exactly what you mean.:D

Man i've been kicking myself in the rear this evening. I didn't take my camera this evening and we had the best slips. The hawk was overweight and just pretended to hunt but the dogs were spot on. My pup almost caught one on his own today. I could have jumped out of my skin when I saw him close in on it. I'm truley proud of my boys today.