PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NAFA meet, when and where??

STait
02-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I heard it was going to be in UT again, is this true? what are the dates??

Saluqi
02-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi Steve,

It will be in Vernal during the Thanksgiving week. I hope there's plenty of game, it's a long haul to get there!

FredFogg
02-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Details will be coming soon and online registration will happen earlier this year than it did last year.

http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Meets.htm

STait
02-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks....Duhstupd, I knew it was Thanksgiving week. When I went to the
first one in Vernal there was lots of game. Hopefully the rabbit numbers are good, but I'm sure there will be ducks in good areas.

frootdog
02-03-2011, 02:03 PM
There was a lot of game for dirthawkers in Vernal. Fred any idea when online registration will start?

Ken S.
02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
I hope there's plenty of game, it's a long haul to get there!

Looks like about 35 hours worth of driving for me to get there from the east coast... I might have to sit this one out. :(

Lowachi
02-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks....Duhstupd, I knew it was Thanksgiving week. When I went to the
first one in Vernal there was lots of game. Hopefully the rabbit numbers are good, but I'm sure there will be ducks in good areas.

Had a couple msgs from the meet chair. I'll see if he can put something up.

dirtwinger
02-03-2011, 03:27 PM
What is the land like around Vernal is there large open grasslands with jacks suitable for my falcon and dogs?

Heatherg
02-03-2011, 03:43 PM
lots of BLM land....jacks and cottontails can be great. Been there 2xs and had some of the best hunting to be found. Just a couple of things to think about
***check/ re check and check again the weather...while traveling out there and coming home :) it changes quickly
****make sure that the 4 wheel drive in your vehical works, and if you dont have that.....keep checking the weather!!!!!! traveling out of Vernal can be interesting without it!!!
*****and if you blow off the above 2 statements...make sure you have extra alcohol in your vehical for when/if you get stuck in a blizzard in lets say NE, for 3 days.....because the church you will be staying at, while providing a safe, warm place....3 meals a day and countless snacks DOES NOT provide any alcohol. You will want this after the 200th person comes into your "room" and asks you if they can "pet your eagle" :)

this has been a public service announcement :)

FredFogg
02-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Fred any idea when online registration will start?

Once I have all the prices and what will be available (hats, shirts, etc.), I can create the forms for folks to download and fill out and mail in and change last years online registration page and then I will make them available when the tell me to go live. I am sure it won't be until Mark Holmes (Meet Chairman) can get all of that organized and then write up something for the spring Hawk Chalk. But I am sure it will be a lot sooner than it was last year due to last year being the first year we had online registration. I really would like to get it up and going as soon as possible because I think it is much easier for folks to register when they have the money than to wait until the last minute and then realize they are short on cash. And of course, I will post something on NAFEX as soon as it is available.

dirtwinger
02-03-2011, 03:51 PM
lots of BLM land....jacks and cottontails can be great. Been there 2xs and had some of the best hunting to be found. Just a couple of things to think about
***check/ re check and check again the weather...while traveling out there and coming home :) it changes quickly
****make sure that the 4 wheel drive in your vehical works, and if you dont have that.....keep checking the weather!!!!!! traveling out of Vernal can be interesting without it!!!
*****and if you blow off the above 2 statements...make sure you have extra alcohol in your vehical for when/if you get stuck in a blizzard in lets say NE, for 3 days.....because the church you will be staying at, while providing a safe, warm place....3 meals a day and countless snacks DOES NOT provide any alcohol. You will want this after the 200th person comes into your "room" and asks you if they can "pet your eagle" :)

Thanks for the info although you didnt specify what the ground is like. I need open grassland a section in size as a minimum or I can run out of field really quick. Heavy sagebrush or tall weedy fields will also screw up my style of flying. Plenty of jacks is no use to me if the ground is wrong, sorry if I wasnt specific enough.

All the best Terence

Heatherg
02-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Terence....there is a lot of sagebrush....some open grassland but not like KS.....you will typically find the jacks and cottontails in the sage. In and around town you may find shorter grass fields with jacks in them....but not very many options there.....anything out of town will most likely have sage! I hope this is more of what you were looking for!

dirtwinger
02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Terence....there is a lot of sagebrush....some open grassland but not like KS.....you will typically find the jacks and cottontails in the sage. In and around town you may find shorter grass fields with jacks in them....but not very many options there.....anything out of town will most likely have sage! I hope this is more of what you were looking for!
Thanks Heather good info but sadly not what I wanted to hear. I will perhaps have to wait for a meet with more suitable land before I show my face at a NAFA meet again.

Shehawker
02-03-2011, 04:44 PM
There are ducks aplenty and while I don't think there will be as many rabbits as there where in 2005 they are defiantly on the rise if the number of road kills I've been seeing in the past few months is anything to judge by. School has kept me grounded this year or else I would have been out in the field more after them. The population bottomed out about 4 years ago and is this year was the first normal year since then. I work with several people who spotlight looking for the Black-footed ferrets and they report seeing bunnies every night they go out as well.

There are some very wide open spaces with little sage if you go further east and south but I have not hunted out there so not sure of what critters you will find other than deer and pronghorn. I should have a better idea as summer comes around.

For those Dino lovers out there the Quarry is scheduled to re-open this fall, something I am very excited for as I never got to see it before it was "condemned".

-Melissa

Fawkes
02-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Ooo - this is only a 20 hr drive for me... would love to bring my own bird though.

Any Canadians had any experience bringing a hawk over, and what's required?

Anyone at all know who I would contact in the states about crossing the border with a bird?

goshawkr
02-03-2011, 06:17 PM
There are some very wide open spaces with little sage if you go further east and south but I have not hunted out there so not sure of what critters you will find other than deer and pronghorn. I should have a better idea as summer comes around.

Those areas have large tracks of sage that is very short. It might work good for a falcon flying jacks.

For those Dino lovers out there the Quarry is scheduled to re-open this fall, something I am very excited for as I never got to see it before it was "condemned".

Thats great to hear - the first time I took my wife and her kids to Vernal to visit my family that lives there I was very excited about taking them to the quarry, and incredibly disappointed to learn it was condemed.

The quarry is quite a sight. I dont have any idea what the new building will be like, but the old one was amazing. The building was built to enlcose 30-50 feet or so of near verticle cliff face, with hundreds of nearly complete individual dinosaur skeletons exposed. When I was a kid going to see it with my grandmother they were still doing active digs out of it, and you could watch a few active dinosaur oligists at work there. Now the 'ologists are leaving it alone because there is more value in leaving the bones in the cliff than diggin em up.

Heatherg
02-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Those areas have large tracks of sage that is very short. It might work good for a falcon flying jacks.

When we tried hunting those areas last time the meet was there....we found very little game.....that was 5/6 years ago.....having hunting in WY this season....I am a little concerned that rabbit/jack populations may be down like the rest of the west....only time will tell I guess.

Kenn Filkins
02-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Thanks Heather,
that is a great PSA....
I believe every bit of it.
The same thoughts came to me as I looked at the map and mountains between Michigan and Utah! confusedd

goshawkr
02-03-2011, 06:48 PM
When we tried hunting those areas last time the meet was there....we found very little game.....that was 5/6 years ago.....having hunting in WY this season....I am a little concerned that rabbit/jack populations may be down like the rest of the west....only time will tell I guess.

I have never hunted those areas, but that dosnt surprise me.

Jacks and cottontail populations boom and bust in very localized cycles throughout the west. That their populations are down in WY has no direct bearing on what they will be doing in the Vernal area.

In '84 or '85 the cottontail population boomed so strongly in the foothills of Diamond Mt, NE of Vernal, that the roads looked like they were paved in cottontail carcasses. Driving through the area in the early morning you would see thousands of them sitting around. Just a few miles away there were few rabbits to be seen, and very few roadkills.

I dont say that to get anyones hopes up - its not likely to be like that when we are in town. Atlhough there is a chance it will be like that somewhere else in Utah...

Heatherg
02-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks Heather,
that is a great PSA....
I believe every bit of it.
The same thoughts came to me as I looked at the map and mountains between Michigan and Utah! confusedd

Its kinda funny now...but it wasnt so funny when I was in the middle of it those few years ago. Unfortunately it wasnt my truck that was without 4 wheel drive, but a good friends truck, and a group of us were traveling together. Being stuck in a church for 3 days was something I will never forget. Nor the Red Cross and how they helped SO MANY people those few days.....they shut down I80 and we were forced of the road. It had a profound effect on my travel planning :)

Chad L.
02-03-2011, 07:33 PM

Or make sure your in range of the Gypsy Hawkers camp. There is plenty of food, a warm fire to toast up next too and I'm pretty sure there is always enough alcohol in stock.;) Damn Gypsy Hawkers. Turns out they're good for something.

Lowachi
02-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Allowing 3 days ta get there<4 if you count Sunday> and 4 to get back before I'm late to work. Pulling the trailer might get to be fun...not!

jfseaman
02-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Hi Steve,

It will be in Vernal during the Thanksgiving week. I hope there's plenty of game, it's a long haul to get there!
With the obligatory requirement to avoid Colorado, you have 660 miles.

I have 950, the shortest of the field meets.

but

Ken's gonna do over 2000 miles.

michaelberan
02-04-2011, 03:41 AM
I have 1300 miles to travel, I'll love every hour of it!

Not only is the area rich with game it is some of the most varied and beautiful land to hunt.

My PSA is this, the sun rises from the extreme southeast, there are NO rabbits on the northwest side of the outcroppings (mountains in my book)

If you get bored hunting flat sage, there are steep hilly laurels, then there are deep ravens and flat plateaus, and land, land, land for everyone!

You can drive "up" literally, 40 miles and see the snow, but don't miss out driving into and seeing the flaming gorge!

Ken S.
02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I might just make the drive... hard to say. I'd probably want to extend the trip for longer than just the NAFA meet though... cause 3 days driving out, 3 days back... that hurts.

Jason Hines are you reading this? (I wouldn't want to make the trip without stopping in Kentucky to pick up a co-pilot. :))

Or... maybe some other east-coast folks would want to meet up somewhere for a NAFEX mini-meet somewhere closer to the middle, like Missouri or Iowa. Just a thought.

goshawkr
02-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I have 1300 miles to travel, I'll love every hour of it!

Not only is the area rich with game it is some of the most varied and beautiful land to hunt.

My PSA is this, the sun rises from the extreme southeast, there are NO rabbits on the northwest side of the outcroppings (mountains in my book)

If you get bored hunting flat sage, there are steep hilly laurels, then there are deep ravens and flat plateaus, and land, land, land for everyone!

You can drive "up" literally, 40 miles and see the snow, but don't miss out driving into and seeing the flaming gorge!

Flaming gorge is quite a sight. My cousin will kill me for mentioning this, but the fishing in the river below the dam is incredible. One of the best in the country for fly fishing.

While you can certainly appreciate Split Mountain Gorge from town, taking the 20 minute drive east of town see it up close and personal is well worthwhile. It is, reputedly, the only mountain in the world that has been split by a river. Its on the way to going to see the dino quarry that was mentione earlier.

ukroper
02-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Well..i have over 4000 miles to travel,and i will be there..good hawking..spectacular scenery...even better people...

BE THERE..OR BE SQUARE....clappclappclappclapp

Ken S.
02-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Well..i have over 4000 miles to travel,and i will be there..good hawking..spectacular scenery...even better people...

BE THERE..OR BE SQUARE....clappclappclappclapp

Good point... I'll quit whining. I'll save you a beer and a seat at the banquet. :)

Lowachi
02-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Good point... I'll quit whining. I'll save you a beer and a seat at the banquet. :)

And a sip from my flask! Wonder if I can find chains for the truck.....?

NMHighPlains
02-05-2011, 12:07 AM
With the obligatory requirement to avoid Colorado, you have 660 miles.

I didn't get the memo. Why do we avoid CO?

frootdog
02-05-2011, 12:29 AM
I didn't get the memo. Why do we avoid CO?

Import/Export Permits?

michaelberan
02-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Import/Export Permits?

Only if you stop for gas right, I think we can drive through with no problems.

Dirthawking
02-05-2011, 12:34 AM
You don't need permits to drive through the state. People are just afraid of Colorado because of the snow.

frootdog
02-05-2011, 12:37 AM
You don't need permits to drive through the state. People are just afraid of Colorado because of the snow.

According to CO DOW last I checked I you plan to stop you need a permit.

NMHighPlains
02-05-2011, 12:38 PM
According to CO DOW last I checked I you plan to stop you need a permit.

What about unplanned stops? :)

jfseaman
02-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Only if you stop for gas right, I think we can drive through with no problems.
http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/aetsch.gif Don't stop, don't pee, don't eat, don't look like hunters, don't make any mistakes that result in being pulled over, lie at the border if asked about birds. Maybe CO doesn't have border check, CA does for AG. toungeout

:D Now that I understand that it's an AG law, I don't have a problem with it. It can be cumbersome and I wonder about interstate trucking of livestock/poultry/plant products but it's the law. :D

ranttIt would be really interesting to verify the terminology of the law, what types of animals and plants it applies to, then follow the law and regulations to their convergence. IE, if this is an AG law intended to protect commercial flocks and wildlife, does it just say birds or poultry, then under the law are captive raptors poultry in CO? What about parrots, does it apply to them? Just playing devils advocate. Like I said, I no longer have any problem with the import/export as long as it's not falconry regulations related. http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/rant.gif

http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/aetsch.gif You are now free to move about Colorado, keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times. http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/peace.gif

Dirthawking
02-06-2011, 12:49 AM
http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/aetsch.gif Don't stop, don't pee, don't eat, don't look like hunters, don't make any mistakes that result in being pulled over, lie at the border if asked about birds. Maybe CO doesn't have border check, CA does for AG. toungeout

:D Now that I understand that it's an AG law, I don't have a problem with it. It can be cumbersome and I wonder about interstate trucking of livestock/poultry/plant products but it's the law. :D

ranttIt would be really interesting to verify the terminology of the law, what types of animals and plants it applies to, then follow the law and regulations to their convergence. IE, if this is an AG law intended to protect commercial flocks and wildlife, does it just say birds or poultry, then under the law are captive raptors poultry in CO? What about parrots, does it apply to them? Just playing devils advocate. Like I said, I no longer have any problem with the import/export as long as it's not falconry regulations related. http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/rant.gif

http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/aetsch.gif You are now free to move about Colorado, keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times. http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/peace.gif

Any bird (yes live stock included) is required to have an inspection. Birds (game or otherwise) in large numbers only need a certain percent checked. All parrots need to have bands, and all need health cert. You only need a import permit if you are planning on stopping in Colorado. Stopping for gas is not counted in that. If you are only passing through you are okay.

DirtHawker
02-06-2011, 02:00 PM
I went last time hauling a 24 ' trailer. After the most white knucle drive in my life over rabbit ears pass outside of Colorado Springs, I ended up leaving the trailer in Vernal, not wanting that to deal with for the ride back. Idid leave a day early due to snow coming, so I drove back through rain to MI.

That aside, I have been to 5 meets now, Vernal had the most spectacular hawking for RT or Harris. I have no idea how the loongwingers did, as this was my first meet, so I stuck with a MI falconer who showed me the ropes, thank you Ev. The bunnies are not in town or field, they are out in the step canyon type of areas. This leads to spectacular long flights that you get to see in increadibly beautiful canyon type areas. I caught rabbit, there, but the best flight was on what I would call a giant chipmunk, but is ground squirrel there. Two hundred yards of 2 feet off the ground, turning screaming fast twists and success. I was the best ground flight I have seen on one of my birds on ground prey.

I am tempted to skip Vernal (no four wheel dr currently) the other option is taking a long trip, go south to NM, come up the other side, and go back what ever way is best. HMMM.

As a PS I went back the following may and picked up the trailer and had a month long trip with my daughter to the Canyon Lands, Brice wow, Zion my favorite, then discovered Antelope Canyon...priceless.
Sue

NMHighPlains
02-06-2011, 03:10 PM
As a PS I went back the following may and picked up the trailer ...

Just out of curiosity, where and how did you just leave a trailer there?

ukroper
02-06-2011, 03:21 PM

peaceepeaceepeaceepeacee

NMHighPlains
02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Seems to me, looking at the results, that everything is important. :)