PDA

View Full Version : Book on feeding raptors

roscogruen
02-07-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm reading books but not coming across information to familiarize me with weight management of a hunting red tailed hawk. I'm looking for specific discussion of weights, temps and foods. actual discussion of weights, temps and food type. Real numbers.

also, i've read North American Falconry and hunting hawks. i'm now reading Beebe's "the complete falconer." how much different are they? i'm seeing the same stuff. i've read the first part of beebe's, "a falconry manual." are they the same books? these two books and others are due back to the library very soon. so i need to focus my attention on new material.

Squirrelhawkin
02-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Look through the threads on here.

roscogruen
02-07-2011, 04:51 PM
yes, i have. if you know of one with the real numbers i'd like to see, please post a link.

dtl8686
02-07-2011, 05:35 PM
yes, i have. if you know of one with the real numbers i'd like to see, please post a link.

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=42&highlight=weight+control

There you go!

roscogruen
02-07-2011, 07:31 PM
dtl8686 - Thanks.
i'm looking more for long-term weight management program over a hunting season. i didn't read the entire thread as it seemed to be adjusting for hunting weight the following day.

Squirrelhawkin
02-07-2011, 07:48 PM
confusedd Not sure what are you looking for??? That thread explains it about as good as you're going to get.

chamokane
02-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I've always had to get those numbers from the individual birds themselves. The books can only speak to the birds that the authors have known, in their particular environment. They haven't known your bird in your environment. We're dealing with living things, not machines that are all alike and can be assigned narrow operating parameters. Watch your bird's behavior and tweak her weight as needed, or as you can, depending on what you want from her. Then you can wright a book. :) Good luck.

jfseaman
02-07-2011, 11:28 PM
dtl8686 - Thanks.
i'm looking more for long-term weight management program over a hunting season. i didn't read the entire thread as it seemed to be adjusting for hunting weight the following day.
I think you may be over thinking this.

frootdog
02-08-2011, 03:09 AM
Rosco no one will be able to tell you how much of what food your bird will need. They are all different. They burn at different rates and the rates even change based on how much you feed them. You learn by doing. The 2 best RT books don't even go into the detail you are asking for.

dtl8686
02-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Rosco,

Take a look through the link I posted. All the information is there. It's like the others have said, they are all different. Caloric burn rates will be different based on the type of food fed and the condition of the bird, Activity level of the bird and temperature are factors as well.

No book or chart will tell you that ...A red tail at 35 oz. at 75 degrees given 4 oz. of rabbit will be at a caloric burn of .25 oz per hour, making it exactly xx oz. by 6 hours later. You and only you can figure this for your individual bird. You should discuss this weight control with your sponsor and read the full thread on 22 hour weight control. It is a great thread and extremely beneficial. Nobody can calculate that for you ahead of time. Make a chart on graph paper and start to learn your birds burn rate. You'll see it change at different burn rates the closer they get to actual hunting weight. It will slow down a lot as compared to the nearly linear drop they have when they are higher in weight.

Hope this helps.

Tom Scheib
02-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Since I fly a RT I jotted these figures down some years ago, probably Modern Apprentice, but as the folks are saying, temp, weather, wind, and metabolism vary with each bird.

A 1200g RT reqmts:

inactive bird------------ 85.719417966 Kcal
normal bird--------122.45631138 Kcal
active bird----------159.193204794 Kcal

calories per 100 grams of food type
pigeon 294
quail 192
chicken necks 135
rabbit 114
beef heart 165
squirrel 149

rkumetz
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
A few years ago I came across a spreadsheet that could predict weight based on the type and amount of food and the weight of the raptor but I seem to have lost it. Has anyone else seen that spreadsheet?

Jack
02-08-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm reading books but not coming across information to familiarize me with weight management of a hunting red tailed hawk. I'm looking for specific discussion of weights, temps and foods. actual discussion of weights, temps and food type. Real numbers.

also, i've read North American Falconry and hunting hawks. i'm now reading Beebe's "the complete falconer." how much different are they? i'm seeing the same stuff. i've read the first part of beebe's, "a falconry manual." are they the same books? these two books and others are due back to the library very soon. so i need to focus my attention on new material.

If you have read one falconry book, you have pretty much read them all.

rkumetz
02-09-2011, 09:15 AM
I haven't quite determined what you are looking for that is not in any of the books you listed but you may want to try Nick Fox's "Understanding Birds of Prey" which approaches things with a bit more of an analytical approach than a nuts and bolts falconry style.

frootdog
02-09-2011, 11:24 AM
If you have read one falconry book, you have pretty much read them all.

Yes go get the Flying of Falcons and you will be prepared for the falconry exam. One book fits all.

roscogruen
02-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Rosco no one will be able to tell you how much of what food your bird will need. They are all different. They burn at different rates and the rates even change based on how much you feed them. You learn by doing. The 2 best RT books don't even go into the detail you are asking for.

i agree.

but to pass the exam one only needs the California Study guide. ???

i'm just starting to read the Nick Fox book. i got tons of books from the library and it will not be possible that i finish them by their due-dates, 2-12 to 2-14. thanks for bringing this book to my attention.

to fix this headache, i simply eliminated all but three types of food. before i was using about twenty types of food and was keeping her under different conditions as i was reconstructing our facilities. life is about hunting now rather than weight management.

Thanks all!

frootdog
02-11-2011, 07:36 PM
i agree.

but to pass the exam one only needs the California Study guide. ???

You never said anything about needing it to pass the exam. Are you looking for the books you need to study? It would also be helpful to know what state you are in. TX, OK, and ID all have 'panhandles'.

roscogruen
02-12-2011, 12:38 AM
You never said anything about needing it to pass the exam. Are you looking for the books you need to study? It would also be helpful to know what state you are in. TX, OK, and ID all have 'panhandles'.

frootdog - i'm doing a permit from China through Puerto Rico.