PDA

View Full Version : Patience, still working on that

capnsanders
03-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Hello,
I am beginning my study of the art of falconry. I have been a hunter for over 30 years with gun and bow. My brother is a general falconer and I have a small collection of falconry friends in my part of KS.

oldguy
03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Hello Chris,

May I ask are you military or contractor in that lovely country ?
Are you able to interact with locals ? I know we are trying to "win the hearts and minds" over there, (maybe we'll get it right this time). Falconry and Afghanistan are intertwined in history.
I wouldn't pretend to know what protocal is in dealing with locals, but commonality can bridge cultures.

Be safe, Dan.

everetkhorton
03-04-2011, 04:21 PM
(welc) to NAFEX Chris: Thank you for your service to your country.

Desertfalcon
03-04-2011, 08:22 PM
(welc) From me as well and thank you for your service!

capnsanders
03-05-2011, 04:17 AM
Thank you for the support. I have 23 years in the military. I am here as part of a agribusiness development team not as a civilian contractor. My interaction with the locals is sporadic. I have members of my team that are developing strong relationships. I have spoke with most of the folks I have ran into about falconry. Our lead interpreter told me that since the Russians come into the country that the wildlife population has been deteriorating. I have one man that said he flushed a covey of scaled quail along a run of concertina wire high in the mountains. I have only seen one bird of prey since I arrived and it was to far away to identify. The most common birds are sparrows and magpies but those to are rare in the area I am posted. you may see a single and five to ten days later see a couple sparrows. Feral dogs and cats are more common. I have worked with some non governmental organizations based in Kabul who made mention of a individual requesting financial assistance to build a mews. It was of course not provided as it was for personal use rather then the benefit of the community.

KidK
03-05-2011, 02:27 PM
(welc) Welcome to NAFEX!

christopher.vly
03-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Chris, thank you for your service. I wish you the best. Where about in Kansas are you from? Who is your brother. Im working on gaining my apprenticeship too.

All the best,
Chris

capnsanders
03-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Chris,
I am from El Dorado. You?

Chris

Montucky
03-07-2011, 02:57 AM
I have worked with some non governmental organizations based in Kabul who made mention of a individual requesting financial assistance to build a mews. It was of course not provided as it was for personal use rather then the benefit of the community.

I'll donate some cash for the guy's mews assistance project. Seriously...

Then you can take some pictures of his falconry and post them. Or maybe not if it is a life-threatening excursion. All the best and be safe. By the way, I did a stint in El Dorado - hawked chickens in the Flint Hills. Nice country.

capnsanders
03-07-2011, 06:53 AM
I'll donate some cash for the guy's mews assistance project. Seriously...

Then you can take some pictures of his falconry and post them. Or maybe not if it is a life-threatening excursion. All the best and be safe. By the way, I did a stint in El Dorado - hawked chickens in the Flint Hills. Nice country.

The individual was not a private citizen. He will be able to fund his own MEWS just looking to see if anyone wasn't watching the cash flow in the details of a proposal.

I found a interpreter who was on a mission where the Soldiers were having a discussion with a very old man in a sub valley in our province. He had two eagles and a couple dogs. The interpreter said he wore long gloves on both hands. He used the eagles to attack game but used a shotgun to finish the game off.

I also ran into a graduate of Nangahar agricultural university that said he had a falconer in his village but didn't know the details. While I was walking through the downtown market yesterday I saw a young boy with seven live sparrows in a thin clear plastic bag. I didn't have time to ask what he was using them for but they were obviously trapped.

MrBill
03-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Hey Chris,

That's pretty cool what you are seeing over there. If you run into a falconer, perhaps you could send us some photographs.

Take care and keep your head down.

Bill Boni
USMC (retired)

christopher.vly
03-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Chris,
I am from El Dorado. You?

Chris

I live in Hutchinson, but moved here from Pratt. Ive spent a lot of time with the Kansas Hawking Club out around Dodge. Thats where we hold a lot of the meets.

Chris