PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Reno, NV

Great Basin Ben
03-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi there. My name is Ben, and I'm a 4th generation native Northern Nevadan. I live in Reno, and am hopefully going to be moving out to the North Valleys again, where I lived, the first time, I sought out a sponsor, and kestrel, or RTH for my apprenticeship. Long story short, I've lived in a duplex near downtown, for the last 2 years, and am eagerly awaiting the end of our lease, so that I can have some more elbow room, (and hopeful Raptor room as well), and once again, try to embark upon a partnership with a bird, FINALLY.

I've hunted and fished in the Northern Nevada area, for almost all of my life (36 years so far), so I'm quite familiar with the area, and its quarries. When I used to work at the University (before I was hit by a car on my bicycle), I kept journals of the American Kestrels that inhabit Mackey Stadium, and their patterns, as well as their fledglings. It has been almost 5 years since then, and once again, my interests have directed me towards the world of Falconry yet one more time.

So with that said, I would LOVE to meet and get to know ANY of the other local Falconers/Hawkers, in the area, in the mean time. I am always free on the weekends, and would gladly tag along with any interested party, if they were so inclined, or would just love to simply chat, or talk on the phone as well.

I know one of the hardest things about Falconry, is being able to find a sponsor in the area, in which one lives. I'd hopefully like to be able to limit my frustrations, by meeting, and becoming friends with the active Hawkers/Falconers in the area, before I needed to actually obtain a sponsor for myself, so when the time arose, there'd be a higher likelihood for success, in actually obtaining one. Not to mention, the experience of being able to learn from first hand experience, is worth probably more than ANYTHING that a book is willing to offer.

I look forward to hopefully meeting MANY of you at some point, and joining you, in your shared love of Raptors, and the traditions, of Falconry. If you EVER would like to have a tag along, chat, or even just shoot the bull, please don't hesitate to contact me. Thanks a bunch for your time.
All the best,
Ben C.

Great Basin Ben
03-29-2011, 12:20 PM
...I'm usually free most evenings, after 4:00pm as well. Thanks again for reading...

Chris Proctor
03-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Do you know Tony?

Great Basin Ben
03-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Do you know Tony?

I'm afraid not. While I'm an active birder, and outdoor enthusiast, I have yet to meet any local Falconers/Hawkers. Tony, if you're reading this, and interested, PLEASE contact me if you're in the Northern Nevada area. I'm definately interested in becoming a part of the local Hawking community.

Unfortunately, all of the hunters, I know, and am related to, use Ithicas, not Hawks or Falcons. ;)

passagejack
03-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Ben... you have one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet right there in Panther Valley. Dave Jameson. He is a true gentlemen of our sport. Another gentlemen by the name of Martin Staisny lives in Antelope Valley just north of you. Both are large scale breeders of gyrs and gyr hybrids for the middle east market.

Great Basin Ben
03-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Ben... you have one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet right there in Panther Valley. Dave Jameson. He is a true gentlemen of our sport. Another gentlemen by the name of Martin Staisny lives in Antelope Valley just north of you. Both are large scale breeders of gyrs and gyr hybrids for the middle east market.

While I've never heard of Martin, it's nice to see that Dave is still at it, and STILL in Panther Valley. He was on my "list" of folks to get in touch with, but I could not for the life of me, remember his last name, so a VERY BIGH THANK YOU, to you, for helping me refresh my memory, on this one.

Obviously, Dave probably doesn't fly American Kestrels, or Rth, but he will likely be a WEALTH of info, and someone who I will need to contact without question. Does ANYONE on here actually fly Kestrels??? I'm MOST interested in eventually flying Merlins, but BABY STEPS, I know....

MANY thanks again for the heads up, and I'll have to look Martin up as well.ALL THE BEST.

harrishawker1
03-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Ben

Contact Julie Medows fron NDOW, she has the contact information for the apprentice falconry coordinator in your area.

Also Cory Dalton may be able to help you out if hes not to busy getting prepared for our up-coming commission meeting.

Great Basin Ben
03-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Ben

Contact Julie Medows fron NDOW, she has the contact information for the apprentice falconry coordinator in your area.

Also Cory Dalton may be able to help you out if hes not to busy getting prepared for our up-coming commission meeting.

MANY thanks!!! I did get in touch with Corey, and hope to be able to show my support at the meeting on the 16th at the NDOW. I will get in touch with Julie Meadows as well. I GREATLY appreciate this. This forum is AWESOME!

everetkhorton
03-29-2011, 05:57 PM
(welc)Ben!

California Native
03-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Hello Ben,

Welcome to NAFEX and I wanted to add some other names of people in that part of Nevada. Steve Baptiste and Dave Jamieson were some of the earliest among falcon breeders in the USA. Steve is still around and lives northeast of Sparks. Further south is Mike Gourdeau in the Washoe Lake area and further south yet is Frank Ely in Smith Valley, Nevada. All of these falconers have a long history in falconry and a wealth of information and experience among them. I hope you are able to meet each of them.

Dan

Montucky
03-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Ben,

I will second Jeremy by saying that Dave J. and Martin S. are a great resource not only because of their experience but because they are really really nice, decent people aside from anything to do with falconry.

Mike Gordeau is also a really nice guy and very approachable. Best of luck! -J

Colt
03-29-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm in Carson City and I know a few Falconers in the area.

Great Basin Ben
03-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Again, a BIG Thank You to you all for the warm welcome, and being able to steer me in the right directions. I guess I never realized just how lucky I am to be here in Reno, as far as hawking is concerned. As was mentioned, this are is a virtual Who's WHO, in terms of falconry, and raptor husbandry, in this area, and I look forward VERY MUCH to be able to be a part of such a wonderful community, both here online, and out in the field.

-I'll be the 275 lb., 6 foot 2 inch guy with the 95 gram Kestrel! thumbsupp