PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NAFA Meet in Vernal, Utah

FredFogg
04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Registration for the 2011 NAFA Meet in Vernal, Utah is now available. You may register online or you can fill out the registration form and mail it in. Go to the Meets (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Meets.htm) page on the NAFA website for the announcement from Mark Holmes, Meet Chairman and follow the links to register. There will also be a registration form in your April Hawk Chalk that you should be recieving shortly.

Chris L.
04-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks Fred for the update. I'm looking forward to it. Never hunted in Utah before. It should be a blast

Are you going? Any idea about out of state hunting fees?

Thanks for doing such a great job with keeping the NAFA site up to date. It's great to see The NAFA site with all the online abilities. Great work!

Joby
04-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Don't forget to check out the site below to ensure that you don't bring any "unwanted" visitors home with you!

http://www.bedbugreports.com/city/ut-vernal

FredFogg
04-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Chris, not going this year unless I win the lottery. LOL
The Hawk Chalk has a more complete announcement by Mark Holmes, the meet chairman. If anyone hasn't received their HC, you can view it on the NAFA website. But he says a hotel price will be announced in the August HC and gives some other hotels in the area. He also says they are working on a 5 day hunting license and a health certificate is required.

FredFogg
04-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Wow! The mad rush to register for the meet has been unbelievable. 1 person so far. I guess being the first 100 to register to get a commemorative gift isn't a big enough deal to get folks to register early. LOL toungeout :D

outhawkn
04-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Born and raised 30 miles east of Vernal...I am excited to be going home!

FredFogg
04-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Born and raised 30 miles east of Vernal...I am excited to be going home!

Bill, I sure wish I were going this year. I hear Utah is a beautiful state. And the hunting ain't bad either! LOL :D

Lowachi
04-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Wow! The mad rush to register for the meet has been unbelievable. 1 person so far. I guess being the first 100 to register to get a commemorative gift isn't a big enough deal to get folks to register early. LOL toungeout :D

I registered along time ago toungeout...but then I'm workin' it againfrus), so it probably doesn't count.

outhawkn
04-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Bill, I sure wish I were going this year. I hear Utah is a beautiful state. And the hunting ain't bad either! LOL :D

Thats too bad, I havent hawked there in a very long time but it will be the same as always I'm sure. Now to figure out where that password is so I can register.......confusedd

FredFogg
04-26-2011, 10:58 AM
I registered along time ago toungeout...but then I'm workin' it againfrus), so it probably doesn't count.

Ok Rich, let me walk you through this, this is a yearly event, you have to register each year. LOL toungeout :D

Lowachi
04-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Ok Rich, let me walk you through this, this is a yearly event, you have to register each year. LOL toungeout :D

You & Krys, always with the spurs :eek:.:D

FredFogg
04-26-2011, 11:22 AM
You & Krys, always with the spurs :eek:.:D

I can't help it if NAFA always holds their meets in the wild, wild west! :D

FredFogg
04-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Thats too bad, I havent hawked there in a very long time but it will be the same as always I'm sure. Now to figure out where that password is so I can register.......confusedd

Bill, the ID and PW will be in your Hawk Chalk. If you can't find it, let me know and I can email it to you. It is also always listed over on the left in the Presidents emails.

jfseaman
04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
... a health certificate is required.
Is the hcert required for every animal or just the raptors?

Saluqi
04-26-2011, 12:31 PM
I asked Mark Holmes, and it's just for raptors.

outhawkn
04-26-2011, 03:25 PM
It is also always listed over on the left in the Presidents emails.

Uh...maybe I should try reading that more carefully..toungeout

I dont know if it would help you any, but if you could make it to Minnesota you could ride the rest of the way with me.....

FredFogg
04-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Uh...maybe I should try reading that more carefully..toungeout

I dont know if it would help you any, but if you could make it to Minnesota you could ride the rest of the way with me.....

Appreciate the offer but it is almost as far to get to Minnesota as it is to Utah. LOL

Eragon
04-27-2011, 04:14 PM
I just looked up the hunting license fees for Utah.

Looks like they have a Falconry Meet Permit listed under hunting licenses for $15. Does anybody know if that's all we need for the week or would we have to purchase the $65 full season hunting license along with it?

goshawkr
04-27-2011, 05:12 PM
I just looked up the hunting license fees for Utah.

Looks like they have a Falconry Meet Permit listed under hunting licenses for $15. Does anybody know if that's all we need for the week or would we have to purchase the $65 full season hunting license along with it?

The meet permit is all you need to falconry hunt during the week of the meet (I believe that is Mon-Fri that it will cover). If you hunt any other days, you need the full season non-res small game permit UNLESS your only hunting vermin (Jacks, starlings, sparows, pigeons)

joekoz
04-27-2011, 08:34 PM
not going this year

Fred:

Just checked distances and it looks like with are both approximately 2,000 miles and a 30 hour car drive from Vernal, but only 500 miles and 8 hours from each other.

I think it's about time that some of us here on the East Coast pool resources and organize an East Coast Meet.

WHO's IN????

michaelberan
06-07-2011, 12:06 AM
I loved hunting in Vernal last time we were there, awesome game, awesome scenery, can't wait to get back there!

ukroper
06-09-2011, 10:38 AM
I understand that the double room rate for the meet hotel is $89..is this right?..
Does anyone even try to get a special rate anymore???..confusedd

JRedig
06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I understand that the double room rate for the meet hotel is $89..is this right?..

I was just in Boston for work, $285/night before taxes etc, ended up over $340/night. frus)

michaelberan
07-17-2011, 11:02 AM
This NAFA meet is shaping up very nicely, lots of land, room and most importantly ....... rabbits.

Talk from the locals (non-falconers) is that the sage had a later bloom and that the jacks have/did benefit from this, lots of young jacks running around in the 18" sage, older jacks sitting in the middle of "eat out" circles

Farm pivot points in Roosevelt and Loka are holding strong numbers of cottontails and "higher than last year" numbers of game birds (pheasant and quail)

*disclaimer* this information comes from local ordinary people in Vernal and Roosevelt that I have met online. My most accurate informant runs blue tick hounds on bear and mountain lion (he sends me awesome pics) so I believe him as far as I can believe a non-falconer***

There have been a lot of oil and gas wells punched around Altohah and Altamont, the new pads built for this production has sprouted growth of different types of forbes (weeds), the older pad sites are holding pheasant the newer pads sites are holding rabbits, these pad sites are leased from BLM by the production companies, some have no trespassing signs on them, others don't.

Vernal has changed a lot since the last NAFA meet, lots of growth, construction and oil & gas production, the hunt has already started for me, I can't stay off google earth ......addicting

Hunter45
07-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Well, believe it or not, this is my 40th NAFA Meet in the last 45 years. The first one I attended in 1966 was in Centerville, SD. Fellow IN falconer Bob Buskirk and I stayed at Ma Henning's Boarding House - - - for $4 ea./night. For that you got fresh baked homemade pastries and hot tea or coffee plus came home each evening to fresh (ironed!) bed linens. A more sumptuous breakfast (more than you could eat) could be had for less than $1.00 at the Koffee Kup Kafe. A steak dinner with all the trimmings, apple pie ala mode for desert and tip set you back about $2. Hunting license??? Uh, nothing for rabbits and I recall $5 for upland game/waterfowl.

Now for Vernal, and other hotels in the plains and mountain west, we are on the end of one of two "sharp sticks" when it comes to rates. Vernal and some other places in the West have a steady stream of energy exploration/production related people staying there that are keeping the occupancy up, and hence room rates as well. I can assure you NAFA negotiated the best rate we could get for a facility that can handle our size crowd. You want to see unhappy? Try a hotel that CAN'T handle us.

In some of the rural great plains states occupancy is down and they have to get a better rate to keep their doors open. Per head costs go down of course with shared rooms. RVs and tent camping are about the only thing left that's "cheap". Oh, and don't ignore that "bed bug report" site if you choose a "lesser" hotel :D.

Vernal is a spectacular place to hold the Meet and well worth the drive. It's 1,380 miles for me and a "Oh, Lord, I hope it doesn't snow!" hike over the Rockies. Lots of neat places to go and see, like Dinosaur National Monument, nearby.

As one of the chairs of the 1979 Meet in Lebanon, IN,I know that those of you who'd like a Meet in the East have a few challenges before you. Foremost is the lack of jacks and lots of wide open public and private land. You'll need to be able to offer good waterfowl, and maybe quail, opportunities for the longwingers, lots of bunnies and squirrels for the shortwingers, and do a ton of landowner relations work. And, while I'm gritting my teeth saying this, even some quality put and take pheasants wouldn't be a bad thing if wild ones aren't available.

Now I have a question. Does anyone know how many days before you arrive that your health certificate is good, and likewise, how long once you are there? I know, I'm a NAFA DAL and should know this, but as I type this, I don't! Hope to see LOTS of all you good NAFEX people there like I did in Dodge City last year!

Saluqi
07-17-2011, 02:24 PM
One problem with high hotel rate at Dodge City, other than paying a lot for sub standard facilities, or so I was told, is that it set a precedent for future meets. I'm sure the management of the this years hotel called the Dodge City hotel to ask questions about having a convention of falconers, and I'm sure one of the questions was what room rate did they charge. These things tend to perpetuate themselves...

Chris L.
07-17-2011, 02:36 PM
If you are paying under 100.00 for a room these days you are getting a deal. Hotels are expensive and have gone up like everyone else.

let me add you will pay that for a nice place to stay. As Greg said you may pay less but you will take home some extra baggage

frootdog
07-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Now I have a question. Does anyone know how many days before you arrive that your health certificate is good, and likewise, how long once you are there? I know, I'm a NAFA DAL and should know this, but as I type this, I don't! Hope to see LOTS of all you good NAFEX people there like I did in Dodge City last year!

Usually 10 days and you don't need one to go home but every state/airline is a bit different.

outhawkn
07-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Every health certificate I've ever had was good for 30 days, except some airlines wont accept it over 10 days.

Hunter45
07-17-2011, 08:54 PM
One problem with high hotel rate at Dodge City, other than paying a lot for sub standard facilities, or so I was told, is that it set a precedent for future meets. I'm sure the management of the this years hotel called the Dodge City hotel to ask questions about having a convention of falconers, and I'm sure one of the questions was what room rate did they charge. These things tend to perpetuate themselves...

Good point, Paul. Something for the Board to discuss this year, for sure. Another thing we've forgotten that affects hotel rates is that the municipal fathers tax everything they can to milk the "outsiders" who don't vote there. And I'm not just talking about the hotel taxes you can see; they nail the hotel owners in sundry ways that roll on through as overhead that pushes the rates up.

But, hey, what are we going to do about it? There was a move some time back to buy out local Mom and Pop RV parks and consolidate them into a national system where they could offer somewhat nicer, more consistent facilities/other perks AND charge more.

I remember when Jim Weaver used to camp in his tepee no matter how cold it was :D I figure my body has a long time ahead in a cold grave, so I think I'll keep it comfortable while I'm still here toungeout!

Lowachi
07-17-2011, 09:22 PM
here we go...haill The 2nd Annual Nafex Gypsy Hawkers' Encampmentpeacee Sorry, my lodge poles don't fit on this yardtrailertoungeout

Joby
07-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Oh, and don't ignore that "bed bug report" site if you choose a "lesser" hotel :D

Actually Greg, the old view that these bugs can only be found in "filthy" sites is a misnomer. Many, many 4 star hotels and luxury apartment buildings have had issues with them as well. Disney World's Port Orleans resort is jam packed full of them.

Since the late nineties, and even more so since our troops started coming home from abroad, these bugs can be found ANYWHERE!! New York city and Ohio have been particularly hard hit and a number of cities are near epidemic proportions with them. After WW2 we had almost killed them entirely off with the use of DDT. But pockets of them survived in areas of the far east (e.g. Afganistan, Pakistan and parts of China). But as the kid in Poltergeist said, "They're Here!!"

The biggest problem is that the one pesticide that will kill all of them (many varieties of bed bugs are immune to the major pesticides available to treat them today), Propoxor, is no longer available via the EPA. The company that makes it let their licensure for home use lapse in '95 and the EPA won't renew it without a number of years worth of studies.

The bugs are TOUGH to get rid of as they hide (in cracks in floors, walls, furniture, etc.) and can live without food for a year. They are "hitchhikers" and are known to crawl inside of your luggage (and clothing left on the floor, computer cases, shoes, etc.) and thus you take them home (and from home to school, day cares, restaurants, church, etc.). The only sure way to get rid of them is to heat up the interior of your entire house up to 150 degrees farenheit (including the inside of the walls) for 3-5 hours. Treatment cost for a small 900 square foot home is around $2,000, beyond most people. So, they just live with them and end up transporting them all over. Another problem is when people get them they end up throwing out their furniture, beds, etc. and other people trash pick them, bringing the little buggers home with them.

The foremost expert on these bugs, Susan Jones, is a Professor at The Ohio State University. She predicts that if the EPA doesn't allow the use of Propoxor soon to stop the spread of these little suckers, that the whole US will be innundated with them within the next 3-5 years. Not a happy prospect!

frootdog
07-18-2011, 07:45 AM
I can't wait. Got the pre-registration done. Plans seem to be firming up. Looks like I will be spending 10 days hunting in Vernal. The scenery is unreal in Vernal, but it's some of the toughest terrain I have ever hawked in. You will get a real work out walking up and down all the ridges.

mainefalconer
07-18-2011, 08:51 AM
I can't wait either Krys. I'll see all of you folks there! Looking forward to it. Joby, thanks so much for all of the bedbug info. Interesting stuff!

Hunter45
07-18-2011, 02:53 PM
I can't wait. Got the pre-registration done. Plans seem to be firming up. Looks like I will be spending 10 days hunting in Vernal. The scenery is unreal in Vernal, but it's some of the toughest terrain I have ever hawked in. You will get a real work out walking up and down all the ridges.

You're right on the ridges giving you a real workout, but I love how, properly worked, they let you get some great jack slips.

Jacks sneaking ahead of you and over the ridge in front of you usually don't go too far down the other side (thinking they are safe because they can't see you).

If you approach the crest of the ridge as noiselessly as possible sometimes you get a surprisingly close, downhill slip where you also get a great view of the action!

Eragon
07-18-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm getting so excited for this trip! haha Not fair that there's so long to go! A friend here in Boise is thinking about making this her first NAFA Meet, so I may not get to stay witht he Gypsy Hawkers this time around... Maybe I can talk her into it though ;)

Lowachi
07-19-2011, 03:20 AM
I'm getting so excited for this trip! haha Not fair that there's so long to go! A friend here in Boise is thinking about making this her first NAFA Meet, so I may not get to stay witht he Gypsy Hawkers this time around... Maybe I can talk her into it though ;)

Hey this is a family forum! What would Bernie say? :D

Eragon
07-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Hey now, I never said nothin bout that! And I bet Bernie would just laugh at me! ;)

muwala
07-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I checked rates on the internet last weekend and found 2 motels in Vernal that had rooms with 2 beds for $70 a night which I didn't think was too bad. Not as good as the days when Motel 6 was 6 bucks a night but gas was under a dollar then too

Chris L.
08-29-2011, 01:21 AM
What hotel is everyone staying at?

frootdog
08-29-2011, 01:43 AM
What hotel is everyone staying at?

Meet hotel

Chris L.
08-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah that one is full. They wanted to put me in there older hotel. I decided with the sage motel. I was able to secure a discount. Have a look here http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?p=204265#post204265

NMHighPlains
08-29-2011, 02:29 PM
I just booked into the Super 8 for $65/night. After reading Chris' post, I might look into that instead. But at least we've got a place to stay for now.

I'd do the Gypsy Hawking thing again, but I'm not finding any nearby campgrounds. Anyone else having luck there? This time, though, I'm bringing TWO little boys so having an in-room bathroom is probably a good thing.

outhawkn
08-29-2011, 05:09 PM
I just booked into the Super 8 for $65/night. After reading Chris' post, I might look into that instead. But at least we've got a place to stay for now.

I'd do the Gypsy Hawking thing again, but I'm not finding any nearby campgrounds. Anyone else having luck there? This time, though, I'm bringing TWO little boys so having an in-room bathroom is probably a good thing.

Look in Jensen ut, its a very short drive and they have a least one campground that I know of. Not sure about a shower and bathroom though....

Shehawker
08-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Check Steinaker State Park, might be open year round, don't think they have showers though. There is the KOA which I'm sure has showers but I don't know if they are open then, maybe they would agree to open back up for that week? A couple of other RV parks but you will have to verify if they are open and then there is plenty of BLM land to camp out on.

-missy

Chad L.
08-30-2011, 09:06 AM
here we go...haill The 2nd Annual Nafex Gypsy Hawkers' Encampmentpeacee Sorry, my lodge poles don't fit on this yardtrailertoungeout

As of now I know of at least 4 falconers possibly 6 that are planning on carrying on the Gypsy Hawkers "tradition" this year. I've been busy planning Elk hunts so haven’t had much time to investigate camp grounds but I should be able to start looking into it next week.

Hopefully we will be able to find a place that is a little more "campy". After the stay in Dodge City’s Watersports Campground last year I felt like we needed to change the name from Gypsy Hawkers to Ghetto Hawkers.

I'll start a thread so we can try and keep ideas for camp sites consolidated.

Ken S.
08-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Anyone driving or flying from the east coast? I really want to make it to the meet but as I'm looking at the driving times for it... it's really gonna cut into my hawking time to spend so much time getting there and back. I may end up driving it anyway, but for now I'm gonna start looking into flying out and just renting a car to hawk out of.

Hunter45
09-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Anyone driving or flying from the east coast? I really want to make it to the meet but as I'm looking at the driving times for it... it's really gonna cut into my hawking time to spend so much time getting there and back. I may end up driving it anyway, but for now I'm gonna start looking into flying out and just renting a car to hawk out of.

I've done NAFA Meets both ways (drive and fly).

For driving figure $.50/mile average actual driving cost for mid-size hawking vehicle PLUS maybe two extra hotel nights & two day's meals.

Now for flying figure the flight, car rental (talk to agency you will be picking the car up to be SURE you get the car you want/need), and, finally, figure air shipment cost for your hawk (at least $200 each way). I've heard Continental may offer the best animal shipping costs.

Finally, figure 40 hours of windshield time the flying will save you - :D

The real fly in the ointment is the hawk shipping costs. Let us know what your research shows.

muwala
09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
The real fly in the ointment is the hawk shipping costs. Let us know what your research shows.

The closest airport to Vernal is Salt Lake City and for you guys from the east, there are only a few airlines that fly into it, not like the dozens that fly into an east coast airport. Delta and United both fly into it, and maybe some others, not sure which though. Denver would probably have more airlines going into it but it would be farther away and you would have to drive over the rockys, which might make for an interesting trip in late Nov. if the weather turns nasty.

outhawkn
09-02-2011, 05:21 PM
The closest airport to Vernal is Salt Lake City and for you guys from the east, there are only a few airlines that fly into it, not like the dozens that fly into an east coast airport. Delta and United both fly into it, and maybe some others, not sure which though. Denver would probably have more airlines going into it but it would be farther away and you would have to drive over the rockys, which might make for an interesting trip in late Nov. if the weather turns nasty.

There used to be an airport in Vernal, I learned to fly there. Is it not there anymore....?

goshawkr
09-02-2011, 06:52 PM
There used to be an airport in Vernal, I learned to fly there. Is it not there anymore....?

The airport is still there.

The airline that serves it keeps rotating around though. Looks like that is currently Great Lakes Airlines.

Those tiny regional airports are fun.

outhawkn
09-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Those tiny regional airports are fun.

Oh indeed they are......................;):D

harrishawker21
09-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Me and my dad are flying out on United Airlines to Salt Lake City. From what I gather, United is one of the only airlines that will allow you to fly your birds out as checked baggage. I'm hoping everything is going to work out smoothly.

Chris L.
09-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Me and my dad are flying out on United Airlines to Salt Lake City. From what I gather, United is one of the only airlines that will allow you to fly your birds out as checked baggage. I'm hoping everything is going to work out smoothly.

Pat,

Not sure of the size of the bird but make sure you have the correct carry-on size for the pet container or they will not let you on. You may already know this, just a friendly reminder.

Please let us know how it goes.

harrishawker21
09-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Yea we called United and they gave us information as to what is allowed and whats not. Were definately bringing our 2 HH's out right now but depending on what happens during trapping season we may add another to the mix.My dad has gone to several NAFA meets and most of the time he flew out to them but, he hasn't done it since 9-11. I'm praying everything is going to work out fine cause I can't wait!

Ken S.
09-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the info Pat! Good to hear some other Falconers from MD will be making the trip. I am still checking into this as well, I'll let you know what I figure out. I have a female Hh that I want to fly with, will leave my dogs behind this time. So far I had been looking at shipping my hawk separately but if I can arrange to fly with her as checked baggage that would be ideal. I plan to look for a direct flight to SLC and rent a car, even if I have to drive as far as NY or DC on this end.

Chris L.
09-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Ken,

When are you going to arrive? Lets get together to fly the harris hawks again! I will be there early, November 16th, and leave that next Wednesday. When are you going to make it? Where are you staying? I sure hope we can get some flying time together. Be safe in your travels.

Ken S.
09-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Ken,

When are you going to arrive? Lets get together to fly the harris hawks again! I will be there early, November 16th, and leave that next Wednesday. When are you going to make it? Where are you staying? I sure hope we can get some flying time together. Be safe in your travels.

Woohoo, I am booked!! I'm so excited I can't stand it... I didn't think I was going to make it this year because it's so far and I've got a lot going on, but I decided to just go for it and deal with the consequences later. :) I would love to do some hawking with you again!

I'm coming in on the 16th, and leaving on the 23rd... and staying at the Sage hotel (thanks for arranging the discount!).

For those that are curious, I've got a direct flight and reserved a spot for my hawk to fly as checked baggage. My flight was cheaper than it would cost to drive, and will only take me 4 hours to get there. I'm hoping the shorter travel time will actually be better for the hawk than the long ride in the truck. For costs, I figured it ends up being the same price or slightly cheaper to fly to the meet including the rental car costs and airline pet fees, etc.

Now I just have to do the NAFA registration, line up the health cert paperwork, and figure out how to fly with all my hawking clothes and gear.

See you there!!!

goshawkr
09-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Pat,

Not sure of the size of the bird but make sure you have the correct carry-on size for the pet container or they will not let you on. You may already know this, just a friendly reminder.

Please let us know how it goes.

With all the great Giant Hood manufactuers out there these days, has anyone made one that is airline approved? You dont have to use a pet crate from a store, and getting an airline approved carrier is as simple as pulling up the FAA requirements and designing around them.

The most simple one is that it has to have ventilation holes on at least three sides. This is because the airline needs to be able to pack boxes tightly around it, and if it is only ventilated on one side that may be blocked by nearby bagage. That is also part of the reason why dog/cat crates are not shapes with square sides. Having angled sides makes it much harder to block things up by packing around it.

Chris L.
09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Geoff

Yes the hoods I made were airline approved. I have shipped bird all over the USA with my PVC giant hoods. They also have to have a carry handle and a lock.

I forgot to add the birds were shipped as cargo. Not carry on. The hoods are to big for carry on

goshawkr
09-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Geoff

Yes the hoods I made were airline approved. I have shipped bird all over the USA with my PVC giant hoods. They also have to have a carry handle and a lock.

I forgot to add the birds were shipped as cargo. Not carry on. The hoods are to big for carry on

Do you still make them? If so, can you point me to some info about them?

I am in the market for replacing my Giant Hoods. I was planning on building a nice one out of wood this summer, but I may have to opt for buying one or using the old beat up ugly ones for one more season.

shutterdawg
09-07-2011, 03:59 PM
What is going on at the meet and why would I want to go? Is there a schedule of events somewhere? I saw the post on NAFA about the meet and saw this one here but so far it's all geared toward people who already know they want to go. What if I can only come for a day or two, how do I know which days to come for what interests me? Help me out here.

Hunter45
09-07-2011, 04:40 PM
What is going on at the meet and why would I want to go? Is there a schedule of events somewhere? I saw the post on NAFA about the meet and saw this one here but so far it's all geared toward people who already know they want to go. What if I can only come for a day or two, how do I know which days to come for what interests me? Help me out here.

It's become almost an annual pilgrimage for me. This will be my 40th NAFA Meet since joining in 1966. I go to

1. Visit with old falconer friends from all over the country.

2. Make new ones (hey, the old ones were new ones, once :D).

3. Listen to interesting speakers/presentations in the evenings, attend workshops, catch up and/or learn more on the national issues regarding falconry, and get insight from other falconers flying the same and/or different species.

4. Try my luck at the awesome Nightly/Grand Finale Raffles.

5. Get Meet prints, memorabilia to make sure my bookshelves and walls at home are not empty.

6. Hunt game species and/or be in country I don't have at home - great photo ops.

7. Buy stuff direct from the vendors that are there, discuss their products' uses, issues, etc.

8. Great road trip! I just punch up Bobby Seger's "Roll Me Away" every time I roll up onto the interstate highway headed to the Meet!

9. Gets my head right from whatever cares and concerns bother me at home.

10. Contribute some time and effort to the sport that has given me so much joy for so much of my life!

shutterdawg, if I only had a few days to be there, I'd pick Wed-Fri to make the nightly raffles, the NAFA Business Mtg, the Thanksgiving feast and any Thursday evening presentation, and, of course, the Friday night Banquet and Speaker along with the Grand Finale Raffle. Yes, it's expensive to go these days, but heck, you want to die having money in your jeans and no lifelong valued experiences in your heart? Didn't think so. See ya there!

Oh, and my old friends reading this, be sure and give me heck and tell me what I've forgotten that is one of YOUR good reasons (that isn't listed here) for going to the NAFA Meet.

michaelberan
09-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I just like the environment, there is a certain electricity in the air, I can feel it when I enter Vernal. The people, the birds, the dogs, the prey ......

I find it very enjoyable to bump into a Falconer I don't know and instantly have a bond, talking and learning about people is very fulfilling, I like to hear other peoples stories and I like to hunt with other peoples birds. I'm just as excited to see Jim's bird catch a rabbit as I am my own.

shutterdawg
09-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Greg, you should be the NAFA Meet poster child! You sold me after #3. Thanks for the info. :) I guess I need to look into joining NAFA (do you have to be a member to attend?) and costs of that and registration, etc. And get my wife to agree that Thanksgiving is better spent with live birds in Vernal than dead birds at the in-laws. Not sure if that'll fly...

frootdog
09-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Greg, you should be the NAFA Meet poster child! You sold me after #3. Thanks for the info. :) I guess I need to look into joining NAFA (do you have to be a member to attend?) and costs of that and registration, etc. And get my wife to agree that Thanksgiving is better spent with live birds in Vernal than dead birds at the in-laws. Not sure if that'll fly...

You do have to be a member but can join at the meet. Cost depends on you. Want to go to the banquet? get an extra shirt? hat? mug? Raffle tix? etc. I think my registration with membership renewal and my daughter attending was somewhere around $200. You could do it on the cheap for probably $80 - $100 depending on weather or not you want to go to the banquet.

Dirthawking
09-07-2011, 10:18 PM
. And get my wife to agree that Thanksgiving is better spent with live birds in Vernal than dead birds at the in-laws. Not sure if that'll fly...

Pun totally intended correct! toungeout

Chris L.
09-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Do you still make them? If so, can you point me to some info about them?

I am in the market for replacing my Giant Hoods. I was planning on building a nice one out of wood this summer, but I may have to opt for buying one or using the old beat up ugly ones for one more season.

Hi Geoff,

No I am sorry I do not. I do not have the PVC supplier like I did when I lived in Sc. They are made of expanded pvc 1/4. Have a look at this thread and PM if you need any help. They are great and I still have my original one. Its still looks great and is going strong. http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=4720 Also contact Laj on here. He makes some out of ABS. Both materials make great hoods that will last forever.

SimoneBird
09-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Anyone know what kind of quarry might be available for a female coops in Vernal? She has taken pheasant, rabbit (western cottontails though, probably smaller than those in UT?), quail and duck (Northern Shoveler). I have no idea what to expect in Vernal!

calebstroh
09-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Anyone know what kind of quarry might be available for a female coops in Vernal? She has taken pheasant, rabbit (western cottontails though, probably smaller than those in UT?), quail and duck (Northern Shoveler). I have no idea what to expect in Vernal!

There are all those exact species (and more) in a 100 mile radius of Vernal, UT.

The area has five varieties of cavy, White-tailed Jacks, Black-tailed Jacks, Mountain Cotton-tail (slightly smaller than their eastern cousins, in my experience, and in much different terrain), Pigmy Rabbit (very small populations; recommend we don’t harvest) and Snowshoe hare.

Pheasant and California quail are hard to come by, and mostly on private land. But it’s doable.

Many species of waterfowl at your mercy, in a variety of settings (from big water to streams/rivers, to irrigation ponds)

Much of the area is like eastern Washington State (kinda), although a little drier and higher elevation. Typical steppe country, high desert sage, grass farmland, and mountain country.

Vehicles with 4x4 would be HIGHLY recommended however.

As far as the female coop's goes, there are some Eurasian Collared doves in town (lots of 'em), as well as starlings, sparrows, and a variety of ground and tree squirrels (most ground squirrels will probably be hibernating by then though.)

Hunter45
09-08-2011, 06:10 AM

Yes you do need to be a member . . . . and not just because you want to go to the Meet. How, exactly, do you think falconry has survived and thrived in spite of all the regulatory twists and turns and attacks by its enemies? There are no free lunches out there. Since there's only 15 falconers for every MILLION people in the USA, we gotta stick together and work together if we want to be able to keep on flying our birds. Oh, and that includes belonging to your State club as well.

Go to www.n-a-f-a.com and click on the "Join NAFA" button on the main page. Go to the NAFA Field Meets drop down menu under the About NAFA button for more info on registration, etc.

Now, as to that selling your wife on not being there for that Thanksgiving thing with the relatives . . . . . there will be plenty of other families there and enough non-falconer spouses for her to hang out with that she won't feel like the Lone Ranger. She'll have a good time - promise. I was home for only 5 Thanksgivings since 1966.

Hope to see you there.

NMHighPlains
09-08-2011, 09:03 AM
What is going on at the meet and why would I want to go?

I've been a falconer since 1983 and attended several NAFA meets over the years. Kids and job and personal struggles kept me from going and the last one I attended was in 2000. This year, my youngest son was showing a falconry interest, the meet was in Dodge City, an easy 4 hr drive, so I told him "Hey, let's go to the meet". He's a big fan of gyrfalcons, esp white ones, having the Nature movie on such, and wanted to know if there would be gyrfalcons there. I said "Yes and you can probably go watch them fly!" That got him all excited and he talked about gyrfalcons for most of the way to the meet. So, we get there, check in, go to the weathering yard and there, of course, are gyrfalcons, including a nice white one. As we're standing there, a fellow named Bob Collins walks up to me, reintroduces himself (we've met at previous meets) and says they're going to go fly some birds. I ask if we can tag along. "No problem".

Bob then walks out to the yard and picks up... the white gyrfalcon. My son's eyes get huge and glittering and he says "We're going to fly THAT!" As Bob came out, I told him that my son was a big fan of gyrfalcons and he was all excited about this. Bob then took my son's hand, slipped it alongside his in the glove and ta-da... the first falconry bird my son held was a white gyrfalcon.

THIS made the whole trip worthwhile:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh62/NM_HighPlains/Hawks/P1000003-1.jpg

And after that, we got to fly Harris' hawks with Beran during which one caught a bunny almost between my son's feet. We watched a golden eagle take a jack and I got to help another falconer dispatch his first jackrabbit. I got to re-meet a bunch of guys whom I've known for decades but haven't in a decade, including Greg Thomas himself who, incidentally, might be the first guy I met at the first NAFA meet I attended.

You just never know what might happen.

Squirrelhawkin
09-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Bryan,Cool story and even better picture,yep he looks happy!:D

goshawkr
09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
There are all those exact species (and more) in a 100 mile radius of Vernal, UT.

The area has five varieties of cavy, White-tailed Jacks, Black-tailed Jacks, Mountain Cotton-tail (slightly smaller than their eastern cousins, in my experience, and in much different terrain), Pigmy Rabbit (very small populations; recommend we don’t harvest) and Snowshoe hare.

Pheasant and California quail are hard to come by, and mostly on private land. But it’s doable.

Much of the area is like eastern Washington State (kinda), although a little drier and higher elevation. Typical steppe country, high desert sage, grass farmland, and mountain country.

The cottontail in Vernal are about 1/3 the size of the subspecies of Eastern cottontail that Simone is used to chasing around home, and right in line with the cottontail that her peppy little coops has caught.

And not to be picky, but there are two species of cottontail in the vernal area - desert cottontails and Mountain cottontails (Nutalls). Most of them in the vernal area are desert cottontails, which are even smaller than the nutalls that Simone is used to chasing with her coops in Eastern Washington.

Eragon
09-08-2011, 11:06 PM
How close to town could you find Snowshoe hare? I've never had the opportunity to hawk them or White-Tails... Hopefully I can bag one of each!

goshawkr
09-09-2011, 01:01 AM
I ran across an excellent web app today that shows very detailed range maps of all the animals that occur in Utah.

http://dwrcdc.nr.utah.gov/rsgis2/Search/SearchVerts.asp

This will not show you the granularity of exactly what habitat types are used or where to find them, but its a fantastic start. Also, I know some of the data is a bit -ahem- incorrect, such as the goshawk data (probably close to acurate for breeding habitat, but not for wintering/foraging)

rhall
09-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Snowshow hares are in the much higher elevations here. A 45 minute drive will get you in the areas the habitate. The issue would be access. Normally we have 3-4 feet of snow on the mountain by Thanksgiving and most roads are closed for the winter. You may see a hare along the main highways though

SimoneBird
09-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the good info everyone. I remember someone telling me the cottontails in UT were larger than those here in western WA (eastern cottontails, which is what I meant in my previous post, not western cottontails) but smaller is what I like to hear (for the coops at least). She has trouble holding on to eastern CTs but then again I only showed her a few. Too bad quail and pheasant are hard to come by (I wonder if there are any good numbers an hour or two away?) but ducks should be fun with the coops if we can find the right set up. Looking forward to seeing some of you there!

Chris L.
09-10-2011, 01:42 PM
I may have missed it, when is the soonest we can apply for import permit. I was looking at the web site but see there is no info on that http://ag.utah.gov/divisions/animal/health/entry.html#entry

wyodjm
09-10-2011, 02:28 PM
I may have missed it, when is the soonest we can apply for import permit. I was looking at the web site but see there is no info on that http://ag.utah.gov/divisions/animal/health/entry.html#entry

I think my wife and I might drive down to Vernal next weekend to do a little looking around and scout some areas. We only live about 90 miles from there. We bought a nice little camp trailer this summer.

I'm planning on going to the meet for a few days and I'll probably bring the trailer and park it at one of the trailer camp areas. It looks as if there are a couple of parks there with full hook-ups for trailers.

I wasn't aware that Utah required an import permit to bring a bird in from out of state. I thought they just wanted a health certificate. I need to check out a few things.

frootdog
09-10-2011, 02:33 PM

I think it is one month

Chris L.
09-10-2011, 02:55 PM
I think my wife and I might drive down to Vernal next weekend to do a little looking around and scout some areas. We only live about 90 miles from there. We bought a nice little camp trailer this summer.

I'm planning on going to the meet for a few days and I'll probably bring the trailer and park it at one of the trailer camp areas. It looks as if there are a couple of parks there with full hook-ups for trailers.

I wasn't aware that Utah required an import permit to bring a bird in from out of state. I thought they just wanted a health certificate. I need to check out a few things.

Dan thats great. I look forward to meeting you in person. I want to chat with you about eagles for sure!

Yeah you have to have a HC and a permit have a look here http://ag.utah.gov/divisions/animal/health/entry.html#parrots

Psittacine and Passerine Birds and Raptors
Psittacine and passerine birds and raptors entering Utah require the following:

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (Health Certificate)
Entry permit
No Psittacine and passerine birds and raptors shall be shipped into the State of Utah unless a permit is obtained from the Department prior to importation. Request for a permit must be made by an accredited veterinarian certifying that the birds are free from any symptoms of any infectious, contagious or communicable disease. The request must also state the number and kinds of birds to be shipped into Utah, their origin, date to be shipped and destination, all listed on the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection.

I think it is one month

I will call them monday and find out for sure. Thanks Krys

Eragon
09-10-2011, 06:30 PM
I sent an e-mail to the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources asking what was required to bring a bird into the state, and asking for exact details about what the Non Resident Falconry Meet Permit covers and what time period it would be good for. I'll post whatever reply they send me on Monday.

COMEAUX
09-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I just called the # for the entry permits,asked if I had to have a HC for my dogs.The answer was yesfrus) with a date of rabies vac. and when it expires. Dogs do not need a entry permit # HC must be with in 30 days. Not sure what my vet is going to charge for HC about $25 3 years ago,so 2 birds 2 dogs at least another $100 and not even left yet. It's a damn shame that we have to jump thru so many hoops to attend the Utah Meet.:(

Chris

Lowachi
09-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Yea, look at mine. 5 birds and at least 6 dogs (4 are the doxie pack) and any of the new pups that aren't sold yet. Plus 2 birds of Brandon's....D*mn!
Be cheaper ta go to the sandhills and hawk.

I better sell alot of buckles amennn

michaelberan
09-15-2011, 07:10 PM
I talked to my vet (who is very knowledgeable about hawks)*wink*wink* the HC's he has has multiple lines for entries and the UT people said you can have multiple birds on one HC so he's only charging me $35 for one HC with three birds on it. Each bird needs it's own entry number but there is a place for it on the HC.

Lowachi
09-15-2011, 07:18 PM
I talked to my vet (who is very knowledgeable about hawks)*wink*wink* the HC's he has has multiple lines for entries and the UT people said you can have multiple birds on one HC so he's only charging me $35 for one HC with three birds on it. Each bird needs it's own entry number but there is a place for it on the HC.

I'll be looking inta that!!!

FredFogg
09-26-2011, 08:21 AM
If you haven't already seen it, there is new information at the meet blog page by meet chairman Mark Holmes about purchasing a 5 day hunt license with a link to do it online or you will have to wait until Monday morning to get your license the week of the meet. Go to the NAFA Meet page (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Meets.htm) and click on the link to Mark's blog.

frootdog
09-26-2011, 08:26 AM
If you haven't already seen it, there is new information at the meet blog page by meet chairman Mark Holmes about purchasing a 5 day hunt license with a link to do it online or you will have to wait until Monday morning to get your license the week of the meet. Go to the NAFA Meet page (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Meets.htm) and click on the link to Mark's blog.

And you will have to go to the Wildlife office not walmart to get the special meet permit. I bought mine online yesterday.:D

michaelberan
09-26-2011, 10:25 PM
I just bought mine online, the valid dates are wrong it says 11/01/2001 thru 11/05/2011

frootdog
09-27-2011, 01:26 AM
I just bought mine online, the valid dates are wrong it says 11/01/2001 thru 11/05/2011

You will recieve the real one in the mail and it will have the right dates on it. I sent Mark and email and that is what he said.

redtailflyer
10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Wildlife and Raptors entering Utah require the following:
Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (Health Certificate)
Entry permit (http://ag.utah.gov/divisions/animal/health/entry.html#entry)
Certificate of Registration from the Division of Wildlife Resources
It is unlawful for any person to import into or export from the state of Utah any species of live native or exotic wildlife or to possess or release from captivity any such imported live wildlife except as shown below, or by the rules and regulations of the Utah Wildlife Board without first securing written permission from the Division of Wildlife Resources, Utah Department of Natural Resources, 1596 West North Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah 84116, (801) 538-4887.

I was looking at the Utah Requirements, and It says that for Raptors you need a Certificate of Registration from the Division of Wildlife Resources. Would that just be 3-186A? I was just kind of confused...

goshawkr
10-12-2011, 03:12 PM
You will recieve the real one in the mail and it will have the right dates on it. I sent Mark and email and that is what he said.

I recieved mine in the mail, and it had the wrong dates on it.

I am calling Utah DNR to get that resolved.

goshawkr
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
I was looking at the Utah Requirements, and It says that for Raptors you need a Certificate of Registration from the Division of Wildlife Resources. Would that just be 3-186A? I was just kind of confused...

The "Certificate of Registration" is a catch all permit issued by the Utah DNR. Its takes many forms, but is essentially used as a permit to posses wildlife. I dont know what language you are refering to, but its clear to me that it was targeted at Utah residents importing raptors, not at non-residents coming to Utah temporarily.

For that, you need a health cert with an import number authorized by the state of utah. The Utah Department of Agriculture is quite militant about issuing their authorization. Last time I took a hawk to Utah my vet got a very nasty phone call because he didnt get Utah's blessing before hand.

redtailflyer
10-12-2011, 03:24 PM
The "Certificate of Registration" is a catch all permit issued by the Utah DNR. Its takes many forms, but is essentially used as a permit to posses wildlife. I dont know what language you are refering to, but its clear to me that it was targeted at Utah residents importing raptors, not at non-residents coming to Utah temporarily.

For that, you need a health cert with an import number authorized by the state of utah. The Utah Department of Agriculture is quite militant about issuing their authorization. Last time I took a hawk to Utah my vet got a very nasty phone call because he didnt get Utah's blessing before hand.

Thanks Geoff. I thought that was what it meant, I just needed some clarification!

frootdog
10-12-2011, 07:19 PM
I recieved mine in the mail, and it had the wrong dates on it.

I am calling Utah DNR to get that resolved.

As did I. They already know about it Per Mark and are sending out new ones.

goshawkr
10-12-2011, 07:32 PM
As did I. They already know about it Per Mark and are sending out new ones.

Ah - so you are one of the 9 who has already ordered their meet permits. ;)

frootdog
10-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Ah - so you are one of the 9 who has already ordered their meet permits. ;)

Indeed.:D

michaelberan
10-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I gots mine

Chris L.
10-13-2011, 06:51 PM
I have not received my new one yet. I will keep an eye on the mail for the corrected one

xjturnerx
10-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Just for kicks.... but seriously...would anyone like to adopt me and take me to vernal? I will be good I promise....

JRedig
10-13-2011, 10:58 PM
So it looks like I might be able to fly out for a few days, anybody know of someone looking for a roomie to split costs Sun-Thurs? Doesn't sound like the most of the MN contingent is going to make it this year...brickk

Tasha55403
10-14-2011, 02:48 AM
So it looks like I might be able to fly out for a few days, anybody know of someone looking for a roomie to split costs Sun-Thurs? Doesn't sound like the most of the MN contingent is going to make it this year...brickk

It's gonna be weird if it's just us two! REALLY weird...

Lowachi
10-14-2011, 03:34 AM

welll that depends..... takin' pix???toungeout

Tasha55403
10-14-2011, 04:01 AM

?Umm...yes, of course...(I feel like I'm missing a dirty reference, but I can't quite figure it out...must be time for bed, lol)

Lowachi
10-14-2011, 04:19 AM
:D:D
?Umm...yes, of course...(I feel like I'm missing a dirty reference, but I can't quite figure it out...must be time for bed, lol)

I can't picture it!!! :D Sorry, long day....I couldn't resist.:eek::D

frootdog
10-14-2011, 09:58 AM

I got the dirty old man's reference toungeout

Tasha55403
10-19-2011, 02:22 AM
I got the dirty old man's reference toungeout
I knew there was something...I still can't figure it out though...of course, it IS bedtime again, lol confusedd:D

Dirthawking
10-19-2011, 02:23 PM

I knew there was something...I still can't figure it out though...of course, it IS bedtime again, lol confusedd:D

Sometimes you make it too easy there Tasha! clapp Is two people not enough? Nevermind....not as much fun if we have to explain it! toungeout

Tasha55403
10-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Sometimes you make it too easy there Tasha! clapp Is two people not enough? Nevermind....not as much fun if we have to explain it! toungeout

Sometimes it's safer to just play stupid:D

FredFogg
10-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Only 2 days left for pre-registration!

Get ur done or your registration fee will be $20 more at the meet!

Tasha55403
10-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the reminder Fred-I almost forgot!:D

FredFogg
10-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the reminder Fred-I almost forgot!:D

Hey Tasha, I won't be there but I can tell you, $20 is a fortune for me! LOL Have fun! I might drive out to Dodge City instead, only 20 hour drive versus 30+ to Vernal.

Last day folks, pre-register or pay more when you get to the meet and maybe not get the goodies that come along with pre-registration (print, mug, pin, hat).

Tasha55403
10-31-2011, 01:02 AM
Hey Tasha, I won't be there but I can tell you, $20 is a fortune for me! LOL Have fun! I might drive out to Dodge City instead, only 20 hour drive versus 30+ to Vernal.

Not nearly as pretty though! We'll miss you at the meet, but from the sounds of it, there's going to be an awful lot of falconers who aren't going to NAFA, tooling around Kansas/Nebraska that week so you could probably have company if you want it, lol :)

FredFogg
10-31-2011, 01:06 AM
Not nearly as pretty though! We'll miss you at the meet, but from the sounds of it, there's going to be an awful lot of falconers who aren't going to NAFA, tooling around Kansas/Nebraska that week so you could probably have company if you want it, lol :)

Yeah, I think there is about 10 or so that I know of going to Dodge City. I just hope I can swing it. I will make my decison by the end of this week. My red-tail has gotten kills the last 3 times out so she is doing well. The funny thing is, I have been out west 5 times and I have never jumped a jack when I had a red-tail flying. I jumped one once with a male finnish gos but he flew up the jacks butt and took one look and said, no way. He caught a rabbit later that day. So I am hoping to show my red-tail a few and see what she does with them. It should be fun. Plus, I am going to try and trap a prairie falcon. I can't decide if I want to trap a male to fly on doves or a female to fly on crows. I guess I will decide when I have one in my hands. LOL

Tasha55403
10-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I think there is about 10 or so that I know of going to Dodge City. I just hope I can swing it. I will make my decison by the end of this week. My red-tail has gotten kills the last 3 times out so she is doing well. The funny thing is, I have been out west 5 times and I have never jumped a jack when I had a red-tail flying. I jumped one once with a male finnish gos but he flew up the jacks butt and took one look and said, no way. He caught a rabbit later that day. So I am hoping to show my red-tail a few and see what she does with them. It should be fun. Plus, I am going to try and trap a prairie falcon. I can't decide if I want to trap a male to fly on doves or a female to fly on crows. I guess I will decide when I have one in my hands. LOL

Lol, yeah...best thing to do is let the fates decide for you-either one would be fun, though my vote goes for a male :)
Hawking jacks is kinda tough when you only get to see them once or twice a year at best. The birds frequently think you're nuts and even if they are gamey enough to go for it, it's a whole new quarry for them to learn as well as you. I've only caught two jacks and I've been going to NAFA meets for 10 ? years now. Of course, I tend to fly male redtails too which doesn't help. They usually try but rarely connect and when they do connect I usually can't get there quick enough to give them a hand :P

FredFogg
10-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Lol, yeah...best thing to do is let the fates decide for you-either one would be fun, though my vote goes for a male :)
Hawking jacks is kinda tough when you only get to see them once or twice a year at best. The birds frequently think you're nuts and even if they are gamey enough to go for it, it's a whole new quarry for them to learn as well as you. I've only caught two jacks and I've been going to NAFA meets for 10 ? years now. Of course, I tend to fly male redtails too which doesn't help. They usually try but rarely connect and when they do connect I usually can't get there quick enough to give them a hand :P

Yeah, it will definitely be a learning curve. This girl I have this year seems to be pretty gamey, so I think she will give it a good go. It will be fun to see how she does. I am not real happy with her following and recall but I think that is just a little weight problem. I fed her a little less today to see if that helps tomorrow. As far as the prairie, to be honest, I feel more comfortable flying a female at crows as I have a little experience at that, flying a male from a pitch at doves will be completely new for me, hence, my lack in confidence there. Either one would be fun though. We will see what happens.

Tasha55403
10-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah, it will definitely be a learning curve. This girl I have this year seems to be pretty gamey, so I think she will give it a good go. It will be fun to see how she does. I am not real happy with her following and recall but I think that is just a little weight problem. I fed her a little less today to see if that helps tomorrow. As far as the prairie, to be honest, I feel more comfortable flying a female at crows as I have a little experience at that, flying a male from a pitch at doves will be completely new for me, hence, my lack in confidence there. Either one would be fun though. We will see what happens.

Something tells me you wouldn't be too choosy if you have a nice passage male in your hands, lol :) Either way you'll have fun though, that's for sure :)

FredFogg
10-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Something tells me you wouldn't be too choosy if you have a nice passage male in your hands, lol :) Either way you'll have fun though, that's for sure :)

Something tells me your right! LOL :D

Tasha55403
10-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Something tells me your right! LOL :D
Oh goody! I love being right! toungeout:D Lol...

Tasha55403
10-31-2011, 11:57 PM
Hmmm...trying to get my 5 day license but I don't see it in the available options...I thought I had till midnight, but maybe not?

Tasha55403
11-01-2011, 12:10 AM
All I see is a NRES 3 day small game license...that can't be it?

Tasha55403
11-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Looks like I'll hafta stand in line on Monday morning :(

Eragon
11-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Looks like I'll hafta stand in line on Monday morning :(

So will I. At least I remembered to pre-register for the meet today!

I'm getting psyched for this trip! Time to start organizing the gear!

JRedig
11-08-2011, 01:55 PM
So when's everyone getting into town?

goshawkr
11-08-2011, 02:02 PM

I havent decided yet - I have family in Salt Lake I may stop and see on my way into town. I'll either be getting there Sunday or Monday morning.

michaelberan
11-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Driving up the 16th should be ready to hunt the 17th

Ken S.
11-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Driving up the 16th should be ready to hunt the 17th

Me too... flying in the night of the 16th and staying at the Sage motel. I've never been to Vernal so I have to start doing some research on where to find rabbits/jacks there. I'll be up early on the 17th to start looking for hawking spots. Michael, let me know if you want to go together some time... I'm bringing a female HH.

Besides flying my HH as much as possible, I'd also like to try and tag along with someone flying a falcon on game... so if anyone could let me tag along for an afternoon or something send me a PM. I've been a falconer(east coast) for about 15 years now and gone to 4 NAFA meets... and still have that on my list. I saw the NAFA blog update that the ducks have arrived in Vernal and I would love to go see a duck flight. Ideally on the 20th provided they have Sunday hunting. :)

** Hunting License fyi **
For those of you that are arriving to the meet early, I hope you noticed that the "Nonresident Falconry Meet" license is dated 11/21 - 11/25. I ended up buying an additional non-res 3 day small game license for the 17th-19th just to be safe... and then realized that I'm not covered for the 20th. I don't know if they have Sunday hunting or not... so figured I could use that day to let the hawk rest and look for more places to hawk or something. Or just tag along with someone else. Not sure if others noticed this... figured I'd share.

goshawkr
11-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Me too... flying in the night of the 16th and staying at the Sage motel. I've never been to Vernal so I have to start doing some research on where to find rabbits/jacks there. I'll be up early on the 17th to start looking for hawking spots. Michael, let me know if you want to go together some time... I'm bringing a female HH.

Besides flying my HH as much as possible, I'd also like to try and tag along with someone flying a falcon on game... so if anyone could let me tag along for an afternoon or something send me a PM. I've been a falconer(east coast) for about 15 years now and gone to 4 NAFA meets... and still have that on my list. I saw the NAFA blog update that the ducks have arrived in Vernal and I would love to go see a duck flight. Ideally on the 20th provided they have Sunday hunting. :)

** Hunting License fyi **
For those of you that are arriving to the meet early, I hope you noticed that the "Nonresident Falconry Meet" license is dated 11/21 - 11/25. I ended up buying an additional non-res 3 day small game license for the 17th-19th just to be safe... and then realized that I'm not covered for the 20th. I don't know if they have Sunday hunting or not... so figured I could use that day to let the hawk rest and look for more places to hawk or something. Or just tag along with someone else. Not sure if others noticed this... figured I'd share.

You need no license of any kind to hunt jacks in Utah, so you could just focus on that during in lapses in coverage.

Chris L.
11-08-2011, 08:42 PM
I will be there the 16th. I am hoping to get started on some evening hunting that day. I will need to see how the birds look???

I will be at the Sage with plenty of adult beverages if anyone wants to stop in to BS and have some cold beer. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone.

I need to buy that 3 day license, Thanks Ken for the heads up on that.

Lowachi
11-09-2011, 02:40 AM

Heading out the 17th. Be in sometime on Sat, and the yard coming together after that, and some coffee!! additives not with standing!!!!!

Tasha55403
11-09-2011, 12:50 PM
I should be getting there Sat or Sun (19 or 20th)...

Hunner
11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Rich,
Are you bringing Crystal? See you there probably Sunday. Going to stop at the Malad Sky Trials on Saturday.
Allen

frootdog
11-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Getting in early early on the 17th, get some sleep, and then get hunting on the 17th.

Lowachi
11-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Rich,
Are you bringing Crystal? See you there probably Sunday. Going to stop at the Malad Sky Trials on Saturday.
Allen

Yep Crystal and her potential mate, and a lil prairie tiercel. Will be good ta see ya again.

ukroper
11-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Be there(states) on 17th,.head up to the sky trials (ticking off my 19th state in the process:eek:) and back to Vernal sunday....clapp:D;)

Lowachi
11-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Anyone having trouble getting an entry permit?? Utah is not responding to my vet's requests or returning phone calls

muwala
11-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Anyone having trouble getting an entry permit?? Utah is not responding to my vet's requests or returning phone calls
Holiday today but I'd start bugging them big time on Monday.

COMEAUX
11-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Hey Rich, I was going to get mine today also,then saw that they are open Monday-Thursday:eek: Had to change my appointment to Monday, so much BS for us,really wanting to see if some one is there to check the permit. I know it was done before, might have been last time in Vernal.

Chris

Lowachi
11-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Holiday today but I'd start bugging them big time on Monday.

I know, I was referring to yesterday. My vet called 3 times and just got a recording.

frootdog
11-12-2011, 01:35 PM
My vet left a message and got a call back rather promptly. No issues at all.

Chris L.
11-12-2011, 02:44 PM

No not at all. It was really painless.

Keep trying dude!

Eagle Owl
11-12-2011, 11:30 PM
So, does anyone know if Utah is 3.2? Gotta know if we need to stock up on beer before we leave or can buy it there. :D

Lowachi
11-12-2011, 11:36 PM
So, does anyone know if Utah is 3.2? Gotta know if we need to stock up on beer before we leave or can buy it there. :D

State liquor stores.....stock up!! Kim & I am!!!

Goshawk635
11-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Some hawking buddies landed there yesterday and caught three bunnies today. They said they saw 5 or 6 jacks but it was slim pickens at the traditional spots. They were expanding their search parameters today.

Have to sit this one out this year but good luck and safe travels to all of you.

frootdog
11-13-2011, 04:38 PM
State liquor stores.....stock up!! Kim & I am!!!

I remember the state liquor stores, but the question was about the alcohol content. Anyone know the answer?

Saluqi
11-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I remember the state liquor stores, but the question was about the alcohol content. Anyone know the answer?

You can buy full strength beer at the state liquor stores, 3.2 from grocery stores.

http://www.utah.com/visitor/state_facts/liquor_laws.htm

frootdog
11-13-2011, 05:51 PM
You can buy full strength beer at the state liquor stores, 3.2 from grocery stores.

Gotcha. Thanks!

jfseaman
11-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Monday or Tuesday depends on the weather and hunting in KS.

jfseaman
11-13-2011, 06:56 PM

I might bring some 3.2 home.

NMHighPlains
11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
The NAFA meet is not looking good for me at all this year. I have a 10 yr old son with severe anemia (not the one in my avatar) who is requiring blood transfusions to stay alive. If any of you know your blood, his hemoglobin was 3.5 g/dL on Thurs. Unfortunately, the frequency of those transfusions is increasing to every other week. He had 2 units this past Fri and 10-14 days falls right on Thanksgiving week.

I _could_ come up by myself, but I'm not comfortable leaving home under these conditions. I think I"ll probably cancel my Motel 6 reservations and bail. Hate to miss it, but there are sometimes more important things.

goshawkr
11-13-2011, 10:42 PM
The NAFA meet is not looking good for me at all this year. I have a 10 yr old son with severe anemia (not the one in my avatar) who is requiring blood transfusions to stay alive. If any of you know your blood, his hemoglobin was 3.5 g/dL on Thurs. Unfortunately, the frequency of those transfusions is increasing to every other week. He had 2 units this past Fri and 10-14 days falls right on Thanksgiving week.

I _could_ come up by myself, but I'm not comfortable leaving home under these conditions. I think I"ll probably cancel my Motel 6 reservations and bail. Hate to miss it, but there are sometimes more important things.

Bryan,

That is not good news to hear. Hope things turn around soon. Your priorities are certainly in the right place.

RedTailDoc
11-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Would love to get a PM from anybody who has been to Vernal and would share hunting locations. I have a Tiercel RT and Tiercel Goss and I'm hoping for a black tail jack, cottontails and ducks.

Maybe I could tag along as well with a group?

Ian Hollaman

Chris L.
11-14-2011, 11:18 AM

Bryan that is very low, what are his oxygen sats when it's that low?! Are his platelets ok? I am so sorry

If you need anything please dont hesitate to call

NMHighPlains
11-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Bryan that is very low, what are his oxygen sats when it's that low?! Are his platelets ok? I am so sorry

If you need anything please dont hesitate to call

Oxygen is usually around 97-100%. Platelets run from 22k to 50k.

As of Friday, we have a preliminary diagnosis of porphyria from the Mayo Clinic. More testing to commence, of course.

Thanks,

Eragon
11-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Bryan,

Best wishes for your son. If anyone can help him get better it's the Mayo Clinic.

Chris L.
11-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Oxygen is usually around 97-100%. Platelets run from 22k to 50k.

As of Friday, we have a preliminary diagnosis of porphyria from the Mayo Clinic. More testing to commence, of course.

Thanks,

Im so sorry Bryan, Please hang in there... We are hoping the best for you and your son.

COMEAUX
11-16-2011, 04:20 AM
Hmmm...trying to get my 5 day license but I don't see it in the available options...I thought I had till midnight, but maybe not?

5 day license are back online,I got one yesterday.

Chris

frootdog
11-16-2011, 04:23 AM
5 day license are back online,I got one yesterday.

Chris

From the meet chair.......

Hunting Licenses
I stopped by the local Division of Wildife Resources office to confirm that they had recieved the 5 day Meet hunting licenses. I was told that they had decided not to print the licenses due to costs and the fact that they had no idea how many to print. Rather, they are still offered online and will be until the Meet is over. If you don't have computer access, well, you're probably not reading this but, for those who don't they can still go to the DWR office. However, the process will be to stand in line and use one of their computers to do it online. My advice is to purchase the license online and print it out now. To purchase online go to https://secure.utah.gov/serv1-hflo/hflo/login (https://secure.utah.gov/serv1-hflo/hflo/login)

Tasha55403
11-18-2011, 01:28 AM
Ha! Saw the email and got mine today!:D

Lowachi
11-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Made it to Rock Springs, WY. 2" of snow & zilch visibility. Staying here til morning and will try the rest of the way in the daylite. Thanks for the heads up on the licence, 'dog!

Ally
11-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey all,
Richard (muwala) and I are staying at the Motel 6 just a few blocks down from the Meet hotel. I'm here with a passage female RT that just had her first free flight and we're going to see if we can get her on a CT.
We'll be at the shrimp boil and the banquet, got in late last night and will be staying the full week.
Anyone else at the Motel 6? Would love to go out with a few folks from here, hope to see you around.

DLemieux
11-22-2011, 04:00 PM
I'll be there wednesday evening and can't wait. Does anyone know where I can find the meet itinerary online I've been searching but can't seem to find it. I was mainly wondering what was happening wednesday evening when I arrive. After that It should be easy to figure out.

FredFogg
11-22-2011, 05:01 PM
I'll be there wednesday evening and can't wait. Does anyone know where I can find the meet itinerary online I've been searching but can't seem to find it. I was mainly wondering what was happening wednesday evening when I arrive. After that It should be easy to figure out.

Darren, that is an excellent idea to have the meet itinerary online but nobody gave it to me to put there. I will add that to my list of things to add to the Meet page next year. Thanks for the idea! Have fun at the meet, wish I were there.

DLemieux
11-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Darren, that is an excellent idea to have the meet itinerary online but nobody gave it to me to put there. I will add that to my list of things to add to the Meet page next year. Thanks for the idea! Have fun at the meet, wish I were there.

I know I saw it somewhere. Was it in the latest Hawk Chalk? Or maybe in a presidents report e-mail? If anyone has it could they please post it.

DirtHawker
11-22-2011, 06:18 PM
I know it is hard to break from the field, seminars and bird talk, but how about an update on the hunting? Is there much quarry? Weather?
Sue

frootdog
11-22-2011, 09:14 PM
I know it is hard to break from the field, seminars and bird talk, but how about an update on the hunting? Is there much quarry? Weather?
Sue

Rabbits are hard hard hard to find. Been here 6 days now. Caught 5 cts and today FINALLY saw out first jack and caught it. Saw only 2 more after that. What no one bothered to tell anyone was that according to the DNR the pop crashed 4 years ago and then 2 years ago a tuleremia outbreak nearly finished them off.

Weather is great. Snowed Sat/Sun/Mon. Now the highs are in the 40's.

Having a blast. Great friends and great scenery!

Ally
11-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Here's the Meet Itinerary I had from my email:
Sunday, 11/20/2011
1:00—6:00 PM Registration (Weston Plaza)
7:00 PM Orientation Meeting (Weston Plaza)

Monday, 11/21
1:00—3:00 PM Old Timers Meet & Greet
1:00—3:00 PM Registration
7:00—8:30 PM Aspergillosis Findings—Steve Layman

Tuesday, 11/22
8:00—Noon NAFA Open Board Meeting
1:30—5:00 PM NAFA Strategic Planning Meeting
7:00—8:00 PM Annual NAFA Business Meeting

Wednesday, 11/23
Noon—? Marshall Telemetry Fox Hunt
7:00—8:30 PM NAFA Meets in Review—Cliff Kellogg

Thursday, 11/24
At your Leisure Thanksgiving Dinner
7:00—8:30 Accipiter Food Relations— Steve Layman

Friday, 11/25
9:00 AM—Noon Sky Trials Demonstration Flights
7:00—8:30 PM NAFA Banquet

Saturday, 11/26 Collapse on couch and dream of that Goshawk I just haven’t been able to trap.

My passage RT got her first and second hunts, and had a great wingover and crash on a CT this afternoon but just barely missed.
The most slips I've seen was when I was out with Krys and Michael on Monday morning, since then it's been kind of hit and miss. We got about 5 CT slips for Geoff's goshawk this morning, 2 for my RT in the afternoon, and 2 for an ornate hawk eagle yesterday. I'm with Krys...bunnies are suuuupppeeerrr hard to find. I think he may be the only person to take a jack so far, yes? (congrats by the way!!!)

Ken S.
11-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Nafex friends!!!

I just got home from the meet, and had a great time! I was glad I got to hang out with some other Nafex folks this time. Yes, it was tough finding game this year, you had to really work for it and put in a lot of walking, driving, scouting, walk some more, etc. It reminds me of something one of my duck hunting friends used to say, if it were easy we'd have to call it "killing and catching" instead of "hunting and fishing" ... But the scenery was fantastic and so were the fine friends to spend it with. I only caught one rabbit on my own out there, was hoping to catch a jack on this trip... but I did get to see Krys and Heather get one and that was awesome too. I think we must have been at least 2 miles from the truck or more with nothing else in sight in any direction. You gotta realize how cool that is for an east coast hawker like me where it's rare to hunt anywhere so remote and peaceful. I spent a bit of time hawking alone with just my HH, probably 20 miles or more from the closest blacktop, and it's cool how quiet it is... no cars, houses, or people for miles and miles in any direction. At one point I was walking up a rocky canyon alone to scout out a spot where I had seen a roadkilled jack, and I realized that if I fell or something, I could't even explain on the phone to someone where I was. Maybe not too smart in hindsight. But yeah, there were jacks out there if you worked for it. Chris and I got at least 3 or 4 flights on jacks, you really had to put in some miles walking for them. Although we did bump one 10 feet from the truck at one point before we even unloaded the hawks... that's how it works sometimes.

Maybe I will post some pics later.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone! Hope to see everyone next year!

(... And I hope everyone has a safe trip home. )

rhall
11-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Ken, glad to hear you returned home safely. I really appreciated your time, freindship and advice while you were here in Vernal. I am also glad that you enjoyed our area so much. I know how you feel about being out in the open space with the quite. There were many times I would just sit and listen to the sounds of those wetlands we hunted that day. To bad the Rabbit pop's are so far down. Look forward to seeing you next year in Nebraska