PDA

View Full Version : Found Gyr x peregrine

Jared
05-06-2011, 03:31 PM
If any one has lost a white gyr x peregrine please contact me at jaredtanner@comcast.net.
Seems to be in good health other than some broken primaries.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/jtbear1/IMAG0607.jpg

sevristh
05-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Very nice looking bird! Hopefully it finds its way back home!

FredFogg
05-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Hope you find its owner. Just curious, was there any telemetry on it or mounts of some sorts where there might have been telemetry? Or do you think it was an escapee from its mews?

JRedig
05-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Hope you find its owner. Just curious, was there any telemetry on it or mounts of some sorts where there might have been telemetry? Or do you think it was an escapee from its mews?

I was thinking the same thing in addition to a band?

FredFogg
05-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing in addition to a band?

I think I see a band on the right leg below the anklet.

Also, this is another perfect example of having a database out there with every raptor that is banded where anyone could go to it online, put in the band number and get a name and number or email address (which ever the owner prefers to be out there). Even if it wasn't always kept up to date, at least you would have a contact of someone who used to have the bird and they could lead you to the current owner.

If I created something like this I wonder how many folks would take advantage of it? Hmmm, maybe in another thread.

JRedig
05-06-2011, 05:46 PM
I think I see a band on the right leg below the anklet.

You win, that's what i get for viewing on my phone....

AK Rev
05-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Hope you find the falconer. I'm sure it is missed. Nice looking bird.

Jared
05-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Yes it has a band, also it was wearing a neck mount merlin systems transmitter. No signal, dead battery. Should have been a Marshall :))
Makes me wonder how long it's been out. I dot see any posts on the raptors nest that fits the description. I will post it there as soon as I remember my password...
I will also check with the fws on Monday when they open.

Hoods really well. Good manners, a bit vocal when approached, grips the glove and checks for food when picked up. Talons a bit dull. Eats well. Not starving what so ever. All in all a very healthy bird.

FredFogg
05-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Jared, sent you a pm about the bird. Let me know if it is his bird.

Thanks,

Jared
05-06-2011, 09:35 PM
After spending some time with him today, Im willing to say that someone is really missing this bird. I want to go fly him now.

the_falco
05-06-2011, 10:03 PM
If I created something like this I wonder how many folks would take advantage of it? Hmmm, maybe in another thread.

I'd use it.

the_falco
05-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Jared, i called everyone I know and no has heard anything yet, but we are rapidly getting the word out.

Hawkmom
05-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I sure would. Registry just like for the Pet Finder site for chipped animals.

Jared
05-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Jared, i called everyone I know and no has heard anything yet, but we are rapidly getting the word out.

Thanks

Dirthawking
05-06-2011, 10:33 PM
why not just chip your bird? Sorry, off topic...kinda....

Hawkmom
05-06-2011, 10:37 PM
I've considered it, but just Hate the needle and sticking something in my bird. Personal, and not logical, but I have them wear ID tags (two, a medium on one leg and a small on the band).

Dirthawking
05-06-2011, 10:40 PM
I am still trying to figure out how to get bands made with my phone number.

frootdog
05-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I've considered it, but just Hate the needle and sticking something in my bird. Personal, and not logical, but I have them wear ID tags (two, a medium on one leg and a small on the band).

It's fine for demo birds but for hunting hawks I like less stuff on my birds legs.

jfseaman
05-06-2011, 10:47 PM
why not just chip your bird? Sorry, off topic...kinda....
I believe: Its not common to chip raptors and I believe less common for rehabbers, state agencies or USFWS to have readers.

A few of my birds are chipped for protection and identification in case of theft but I wouldn't count on it to reunite me with them if they were 'found' from flying free. ID tags and/or ID lids on telemetry.

I believe there is a clause in the regs about chipping so assumptions expressed in the first line of this post could change.

Mr. Mossberg probably provides more protection than chipping and in a pinch Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson would probably lend a hand.thumbsupp

NMHighPlains
05-06-2011, 11:54 PM
It's fine for demo birds but for hunting hawks I like less stuff on my birds legs.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y307/Redtail71/IMG_0349.jpg

From this thread:
http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=11196

Why not just put a phone number there?

BrianD
05-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Hey Jared, How bout the story of how the bird was recaptured?

GONEHAWKN
05-07-2011, 05:31 AM
thats why, provided it remains on the bird as in this case, i put my contact info on my transmitters. I use Marshall tx's and i use an electric engraver to put the word REWARD and my cell # on them . i have done this with a Micro too....i hope that this bird finds it's way back home....

falcon56
05-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Yes it has a band, also it was wearing a neck mount merlin systems transmitter. No signal, dead battery. Should have been a Marshall :))
Makes me wonder how long it's been out. I dot see any posts on the raptors nest that fits the description. I will post it there as soon as I remember my password...
I will also check with the fws on Monday when they open.

Hoods really well. Good manners, a bit vocal when approached, grips the glove and checks for food when picked up. Talons a bit dull. Eats well. Not starving what so ever. All in all a very healthy bird.

You're saying that had the bird been wearing a Marshall transmitter it either wouldn't have been lost or the battery wouldn't be dead? I see the smiley, but that to me is a dig against Merlin Systems that make damn good equipment.

Jared
05-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Hey Jared, How bout the story of how the bird was recaptured?

I got a call from Randy Hieght saying that someone had called and found the bird sitting on the road. I called him (this was all about 10:30 at night. While I was talking with him he got a call from the wild life division telling him he could not keep the bird. DUH. (I will come back to that.) So I went down and got it. He said that it flew from him a couple of times but not far. He took a glove and put it over its head and picked it up by the body. For a non falconer he did well I thought.

So back to the UFWS. WHY is it that we cant get them to call back with in a month but they will call a guy like this at 10:30 at night to tell him he is in violation by having it!!! LAME!

Jared
05-07-2011, 09:59 AM
You're saying that had the bird been wearing a Marshall transmitter it either wouldn't have been lost or the battery wouldn't be dead? I see the smiley, but that to me is a dig against Merlin Systems that make damn good equipment.

Calm down and take a joke would ya. I personally have nothing against merlin systems. I am a marshall fan though.

Silver Sage
05-07-2011, 10:35 AM
I have heard merlin or marshall can track a transmitter to the person it was sold to using the serial #.

outhawkn
05-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Why not just put a phone number there?

Thats exactly what I do......nothing else dangling from their legs.:D

tacatanach
05-07-2011, 02:34 PM
I have heard merlin or marshall can track a transmitter to the person it was sold to using the serial #.

Also, at least all my merlin transmitters come with my name and phone number on them. It might be hidden under the shrink tubing, but they're on all of mine.

sevristh
05-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Also, at least all my merlin transmitters come with my name and phone number on them. It might be hidden under the shrink tubing, but they're on all of mine.

Yeah, and I have yet to have that stuff survive being on a bird, haha!

Jared
05-07-2011, 05:00 PM
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/jtbear1/IMAG0609.jpg

Yeomanfalconer
05-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Looks a little like Dave Skinner's hybrid. He uses a neck mount on him. He lives in Fairfield, Idaho. I should call him to see if someones missing.

Jared
05-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Still no dice...
found the breeder (03 hatch) and the next person but the feds confiscated it in '05 because of a paper work issue and I'm still waiting to hear back from them on where they sent the bird. So my trail is dead till I hear from them...

frootdog
05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Still no dice...
found the breeder (03 hatch) and the next person but the feds confiscated it in '05 because of a paper work issue and I'm still waiting to hear back from them on where they sent the bird. So my trail is dead till I hear from them...

Looks like you got a new bird.:D

Hawkmom
05-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Another opportunity for me to promote my ID tags for hawks. If you don't like a lot of equipment on your bird. The small tags are ideal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160520939191&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_3665wt_234

AK Rev
05-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Still no dice...

Odd. Well, either the owner turns up or you have a new bird. Win, win.

FredFogg
05-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Still no dice...

As long as it normally takes the feds, I would go ahead and plan on flying it this fall. LOL

frootdog
05-13-2011, 10:32 PM
I would go ahead and plan on flying it this fall. LOL

How many birds do you know that even come with free telemetry?:D

Jared
05-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Odd. Well, either the owner turns up or you have a new bird. Win, win.

yep. The whole thing has been really odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

Lowachi
05-13-2011, 11:08 PM
yep. The whole thing has been really odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

Did you file the necessary paperwork with the feds???? Your permit's not full is it???? Do you have proper fqacilities to house this bird.......crazyy. something's fishy here....fishslap

FredFogg
05-13-2011, 11:31 PM
How many birds do you know that even come with free telemetry?:D

Now if it had come with a hood, I would really be worried! LOL :eek: :D

frootdog
05-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Now if it had come with a hood, I would really be worried! LOL :eek: :D

Seen that happen too. Luckily it did not go far.:eek:

jfseaman
05-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Did you place an ad on RaptorsNest?

FredFogg
05-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Did you place an ad on RaptorsNest?

It can also be posted on the Lost and Found on the NAFA website. If you are not a NAFA member and would like for me to post it for you, pm me with all the information.

Jared
05-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Yes there was an ad on raptors nest. I took it off.
The State has put the bird in my name until further notice. So for now I'm just waiting till they get together with the feds and figure out whats going on. since there seems to be no record of it between '05 and now.

Jose
05-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Jared,

Just saw a picture on "1badweb" profile, the bird on there looks a lot like the little guy you found.

Looks like he's here in utah too.

Jared
05-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks, Just sent him a pm.

awahl
05-17-2011, 04:49 PM
He also posted his phone number on one of his few other posts 8016870926 (curiously it was for a lost prairie confusedd)

Jared
05-17-2011, 08:40 PM
eureeka!
Thats our missing link boys. Thanks for paying attention!

sevristh
05-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Jared,

Just saw a picture on "1badweb" profile, the bird on there looks a lot like the little guy you found.

Looks like he's here in utah too.

That was some pretty impressive detective work! Great observation!! clapp

frootdog
05-17-2011, 09:28 PM
The question is why did he put seemingly little effort into finding the bird?

Jose
05-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Nailed it! Haha.

oldguy
05-19-2011, 01:53 PM
I have to ask. Has this bird found its way back to its owner ?

For some reason this whole deal bothers me. None of my business, I know, but I can't get my mind off it.

Not going to be judgmental toward someone losing their bird. I guess its the assumption that a federal band will be an identification source of some good, instead of just telling who the breeder was.

Appreciate an update if possible.

Thanks, Dan.

Jared
05-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Adam came and picked up his bird today. He was very great full. He had a death in the family recently and has been out of town at the funeral.

All the confusion on the paper work has been cleared up.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/jtbear1/IMAG0659.jpg

JRedig
05-19-2011, 02:39 PM
clapp

awahl
05-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Glad to hear that he found his way home. Stuff happens sometimes. I would sure be appreciative as well if someone went as far as Jared did to get the bird, take care, and find me while all of the other stuff was going on. Good job Jared!

Tom Scheib
05-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Well done, Jared.

Jared
05-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Would have been tougher with out you guys! Thanks for the leads!

AK Rev
05-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Good work sir.

Hawkmom
05-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Another ID tag plug: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160520939191&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_3665wt_234

FredFogg
05-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Is it ok to ask how long the bird had been lost? And how it was lost (during hunting or flying or escape from its mews)? Makes the story more complete if we know that information.

Jared
05-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Lost while flying. out about a week before it got to me. It was found a few miles from where he lost it.

FredFogg
05-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Lost while flying. out about a week before it got to me. It was found a few miles from where he lost it.

Very cool, glad they were reunited! Good job Jared! clappclappclapp

1badweb
05-21-2011, 11:32 PM
just to let everyone know, he's my bird. i have been flying him as much as possible, before he started dropping feathers (dropped two today) he loves to fly and he's even better when you swing the lure or flush a bird. we were out flying where i have flown all my birds, when my wife, little boy and dogs jumped a pheasant. walle (the bird) was up above it 700' saw it flush and stooped it he grabbed it in the air and rode it down(dog). they were about 500 yards away from me so i figured jog over there let him have a bite then have him jump to the glove for his quail. before i got over to him my wifes german shepard got a little too close for comfort and walle jumped back into the sky. he started ringing up right as the wind picked up. where i live we are surrounded with mountains that rise up about 5000' from the valley floor, he got blown right up the mountain, into a pine filled valley, i hike up the mountain until it got dark i had him on close range on my receiver but it was too dark, the next day i drove the valley no signal at all, i hiked back up the mountain and when i got close to where i was the previous night started getting beeps, went over a steep ridge line and found my tail mount transmitter on the carbon plate and a broken tail feather. the rest of my searching i didnt find anything. as the timeline goes, walle was picked up while i was hiking up the mountain to my other transmitter. he is nine years old and pretty well mannered. i'm sure he didnt have a fun night out and was more than happy to be picked up by any human. that day we had a death in the family and left the following day. when i got back home i check everywhere one last time drove about 150 miles around the mountains and sent my lost hawk/falcon paperwork into the state. timeline it was the same time the state told jared they didnt have any paper work on the falcon. the following day jared calls my phone, we talk and a day later i have a bird that is 150 grams heavy and walle is singing me songs from his perch in my living room. thank you again jared for looking after my big guy and finding me,you're alright in my book, i dont care what they say about youhaill

calebstroh
05-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Great work to you and Jared! Glad to hear when things work out this way. Looking out for the other guy...something less and less common these days. Again, outstanding!

hawkguy1
06-07-2011, 01:05 AM
clappclapp