PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Oregon

cbdfox
11-16-2007, 01:39 AM
hello everyone. my name is Chris Fox i am a general falconer. husband and father of 2 great kids who have a firm grip on life and death.

i am sponsoring my wife who is training her second RT. and doing a great job.

i am native to OR and live in the beutiful Willamette valley currently in Eugene. spent a year and a half in Iowa where i also practiced falconry.

my current bird is an imprinted female Northern Goshawk crossed with European Finnish Goshawk. she is in her second season. this is my first Goshawk and i am having a blast with her. i raised and trained her myself and am pretty pleased with how she came out. she hunts cottontails, black tailed jacks and pheasant. i also plan to try her on ducks this year.

i also have a mature female w redtail i have been working with this year. the bird is a dark morph originally trained by my apprentice. i will be releasing her to free up more time for the Gos.

some of you traditional Austringers might disagree with my training but i do things a little differently.
i dont hood my Gos except in the giant hood. never have by choice. maybe if i flew a passage bird i would feel differently but my Gos is pretty solid and it takes a lot for her to spook. and i dont have trouble with her perched.

i also free loft my hawks. i dont get to hunt often during the week. so i find it important that my birds can be active in the mews. i think it helps maintain condition and it works pretty well for me. i can also feed them in it on nights when i get home late.

i am open minded to knew idea's and find i am still learning as much now from my sponsor Richard Hoyer as i was when i was his apprentice. and i hunt with him as much as i can. he is a great falconer.

Jimmy
11-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Glad to have ya, Chris.

chamokane
11-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Welcome, Chris.

`Chris L.
11-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Great another Chris [smilie=icon_hang.gif] .. glad to have you here. I hope you enjoy the forums. Welcome [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]