PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Northern Colorado

Indy Jones
11-20-2007, 03:24 AM
That subject description was a typo - sorry.

Look on the above as a test of the sense of humour (English spelling) that is found here.

I really think that falconry is an art form, a pleasure as well as a serious business, and something not to be lightly entered into.

Do I have time for it? Can I juggle all the rest of my responsibilities and look after a bird as it deserves? Do I have years of dedication to give to another hobby, life style choice, or time consuming "pet". The answer to all these questions is no - which means for the moment I am an envious spectator. Ah well, my Beretta and I will have to hunt as we always have done. (And perhaps you all really do suck?)

To all you falconers out there - get as much of your hunts as you can on tape so I can at least get a peak into your experiences. Vicarious falconry will have to suffice for a while.

All the best and hello
Indy [smilie=icon_pray.gif]

`Chris L.
11-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Indy,

I fixed your subject line for you...

I hope it truly was not meant to be there. Welcome to NAFEX and I hope you enjoy the forums.

sharptail
11-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Hey Jones, Are you even PRO Falconry, or just another PETA type bent on it's distruction?

Indy Jones
11-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Chris

My subject line was not really a typo but OK to change it, and Indy Jones is not really my name. Do I need to work under an actual first name and last initial here? I registered under my real name.

Jeff,

I took my 11 year old to the Environmental Learning Center here in town today - we stood in the snow for an hour watching and listening while they fed two golden eagles and a bald eagle. All three are non fliers and have been in captivity for a combined total of about 55 years. That's a lot of rats, prairie dogs, chickens, fish and venison. Yep venison is on the menu for the eagles. (They feed about 10+? ounces 5 times a week).

We have good access to viewing captive raptors here at close quarters at two locations. I take advantage of that.

Put me down as PRO Falconry, an active hunter, a snake owner (too many) and a mouse breeder - for the snakes. I also keep chickens for eggs. PETA would love me.... - strung up.

Best Regards
Indy

sharptail
11-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Indy,

Some think that allowing the general public to view falconry footage will be the down fall of falconry. With some of the stuff that is out their, I cannot disagree. Some is unsporting and some of it makes me cringe and I have been hawking for most of my life.

I am pleased to have you say that you are Pro falconry...WELCOME ABOARD [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

wesleyc6
11-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Chris

My subject line was not really a typo but OK to change it, and Indy Jones is not really my name. Do I need to work under an actual first name and last initial here? I registered under my real name.

Indy

We ask that you use your real name. It doesn't have to be first/last, but what makes this board work is that it is friendly and we kind of like being on a first name basis.

Thanks for asking and understanding, and if there is anything you need, let me know.

Wes

chamokane
11-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Welcome, Indy.

I see some danger signs already. It seems that snake keeping and shotgunning are gateway hobbies that can be the first steps on a slippery slope to the hard stuff: all out addiction to falconry. The fact that you are attracted to, and curious about, birds of prey leads me to abandon all hope.

Take it from me; I was once a semi well adjusted bear hunter with my own pack of hounds. Then, I started looking into falconry "just out of curiosity." I boasted to friends and family: "I could get just one hawk, hunt with it for a while and quit whenever I want to."

Well, you guessed it; now, I have a hawk, two falcons, two pointers and a terrier. I sold my hounds decades ago and I wake up every morning hoping it will stay warm enough so the duck ponds won't freeze, but also hoping it will snow enough to make it easier to find slips on Huns and pheasants. As I drift off to sleep at night, my mind just keeps replaying a particularly spectacular stoop by one of my Peregrines that ended in a sharp "crack", an explosion of feathers and a duck or game bird cartwheeling out of the air and along the ground to lie still while the falcon shoots up to burn off speed while looking back over her shoulder to assess the damage.

I certainly hope that nothing I have said will have the effect of encouraging you in this folly.

Indy Jones
11-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Dave,

I have a 11 year old black Lab with terminal cancer (dang it all). We may get another dog and I secretly find myself matching the new dog and its breed to its suitability for falconry - perhaps another Lab or another German Shorthair Pointer? Worse yet. I bred ferrets as a kid (OK the first time was by accident) and used them for years for netting rabbits and later for shooting over them. Now I think we should let the kids get one so I could sort of use it. You talk about gateway pastimes to the harder addictions. I've been there.

I am still in the denial stage about my interest in Falconry (not yet gone to Falcons Anonymous). I have no bird so there is hope for me. Intervention is least expensive at this stage and perhaps the most successful.

Do you know of any local Northern Colorado Chapters of Falcons Anonymous? – See, I’ve reached the first step by myself - admitting I have a problem. Thank you for your mentoring support.

Cheers.
Indy

TR541
11-22-2007, 11:07 PM
James,

Just joining this forum and coversing with these guy's/gal's show's that you may well have the fever... I am only in my third year and I know there is no hope, I will always be a dirt hawker and proud of it!!!

chamokane
11-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Hmmm.... hunting dogs, ferrets, snakes, shotguns.... I see that this could be serious. You might try these guys: Colorado Hawking Club. I'm not sure how to contact them but I'm sure they could nip this in the bud for you.

My wife used to keep ferrets for pets. I used to take a small female ground squirrel hunting - not with a hawk but just to watch her work the burrows and bolt the squirrels. She was a hard working little hunter. I don't know if it's legal to use them for falconry in Colorado. By the way, staying 100% legal is the only way to go if you do weaken and decide to get involved.

I'm sorry about your dog. It almost kills me when that happens. It's one of life's tragedies that dogs have such a short life span. There are a lot of dogs that make great falconry dogs. The best choice depends on what kind of hawk you're flying, what type of game you're hunting, and what the terrain is like.

Hang in there, and whatever you do, don't contact your state game agency and ask for a falconry information packet.