PDA

View Full Version : Southeastern Director Nominee Michael Beran

michaelberan
06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
So now that I'm officially on the web site (meaning my nomination made it there in time), I'm interested in knowing how many active NAFEX members are in the Southeastern area and will actually be voting this time?

FredFogg
06-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Me! :D

michaelberan
06-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Me! :D

I would have figured no less! :)

doggoneit
06-07-2011, 04:51 PM
me

laj
06-07-2011, 05:42 PM
I will.

michaelberan
06-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I guess I will start with a little about me then, but what do people really want to know about a person?

That I consider myself of high moral standards, always thinking to act in a way that keeps me beyond reproach?

That I'm a Scoutmaster for BSA Troop 205, just a small way to ensure our boys grow up with solid principles?

That I quit a 6 figure job in the corporate world to start my own Nuisance Wildlife Control business, so I could work with animals?

I don't know, what do you want to know?

Joby
06-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Michael,
What did you do in the corporate world? Financial/business savvy is something that I think would benefit NAFA well.
-Joe

Byron
06-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I will vote

Byron

michaelberan
06-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Michael,
What did you do in the corporate world? Financial/business savvy is something that I think would benefit NAFA well.
-Joe

Good question Joe,

In the mid 90's I was a Sales Manager for several cellular companies, back when we had one cell tower in the whole town and 15 lb cell phones. When cellular companies switched from outside sales force to inside sales showrooms I got out of cellular.

I did a short stint as a Sales Manager in the uniform industry before moving over to construction materials.

In 2003 I was made an offer I could not refuse with a construction company and served as the Vice President until 2010, it was a medium sized company 6-10 million a year so I was the Estimator, Project Manager, Sales Manager, Human Resource Manager and Vice President (Golden Gopher)

My first year on my own, just me, no employees I made $20,000.00 in profit.

longbow
06-07-2011, 09:12 PM
And how do you intend to help NAFA ?

michaelberan
06-07-2011, 10:12 PM
And how do you intend to help NAFA ?

I was sitting in the hotel meeting room in Garden City, Kansas in 2004 at the NAFA meet, there was a lot of moaning and groaning, and just plain down right pissy bitching going on about "NAFA" when Kent Carnie, blue in the face, jumped up and said,"NAFA?, NAFA? ...... you are NAFA!" That has stuck with me since then, it's not really NAFA I need to help, it's you, how can I help you "NAFA" better?

Razorback
06-08-2011, 09:28 AM
I am voting.

echotadog
06-08-2011, 10:15 AM
I to will be voting . What is your Strategy / Mission statement to Help organize and represent the falconers in Each state , especially those states without Falconry groups , clubs or Organizations ?

Do you intend on visiting each State's sponsored Meets and gatherings to keep the NAFA Members up to date for regional changes and to search for input on any changes ?

What kind of Stance or Relationship do you plan on developing with the Wildlife Resource Agent in charge of Falconry Licensure and Regulations in each State ?

Thanks for your Time and consideration in doing this here , It shows stones to put yourself out here and willingly answer questions .....

Jimmy
06-08-2011, 11:31 AM
What kind of Stance or Relationship do you plan on developing with the Wildlife Resource Agent in charge of Falconry Licensure and Regulations in each State ?

Hopefully none! I'm sure I speak for most falconers in my state when I say that we don't want anyone that doesn't live here, to be trying to influence things that may affect us.

Joby
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Good question Joe,

In the mid 90's I was a Sales Manager for several cellular companies, back when we had one cell tower in the whole town and 15 lb cell phones. When cellular companies switched from outside sales force to inside sales showrooms I got out of cellular.

I did a short stint as a Sales Manager in the uniform industry before moving over to construction materials.

In 2003 I was made an offer I could not refuse with a construction company and served as the Vice President until 2010, it was a medium sized company 6-10 million a year so I was the Estimator, Project Manager, Sales Manager, Human Resource Manager and Vice President (Golden Gopher)

My first year on my own, just me, no employees I made $20,000.00 in profit.

Sounds like you've got the background to run the whole d@mn thing Michael! Any thoughts of running for NAFA president next, I'd sure vote for you! :) Unfortunately I'm in Ohio, or you'd have my vote.

michaelberan
06-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Any thoughts of running for NAFA president next, I'd sure vote for you!

I think I need to be older to be the NAFA President, they normally have a lot of grey hair.

michaelberan
06-08-2011, 03:06 PM
What is your Strategy / Mission statement to Help organize and represent the falconers in Each state , especially those states without Falconry groups , clubs or Organizations ?
My goal is to meet with these groups and ensure there is smooth continuity for the ratification of the regulations that will ensure Falconry stays legal in each of the states, mind you that you are NAFA and each state will have to pull together to make this happen.

Do you intend on visiting each State's sponsored Meets and gatherings to keep the NAFA Members up to date for regional changes and to search for input on any changes ?
I don't want to make a campaign promise that I don't know I can keep BUT, personally, I would like to visit each of the states I will be representing to talk with Falconers face to face.

What kind of Stance or Relationship do you plan on developing with the Wildlife Resource Agent in charge of Falconry License and Regulations in each State ?
As a resource only, each state will have to develop a relationship with these agencies for long term survival, in Louisiana we have had a difficult time but things are now moving forward, this thing does not need to be reinvented, it can be slid into place with very little "work"

michaelberan
06-08-2011, 03:21 PM
It shows stones to put yourself out here and willingly answer questions .....

Just temper reading this thread with the, "You don't know what you don't know until you actually take the seat", too many times people running for office write checks with their mouth that their hiney's can't cash!

echotadog
06-08-2011, 07:32 PM
clapp

wyodjm
06-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Just temper reading this thread with the, "You don't know what you don't know until you actually take the seat", too many times people running for office write checks with their mouth that their hiney's can't cash!

Yes, that’s true. But keep in mind also Michael that we're talking about an organization with perhaps 1300 members. You’re not running for Congress and you’re not going to be offered a corporate jet to conduct official duties. You’ll be a volunteer working for an organization with an overall apathetic membership. There’ll be very little thanks when things go right and it will be your fault when things don’t go right. It will also take you about a year for you to get up to speed on the issues and for you to get a read on the small power clusters within the organization.

With that being said, hats off to you. Thanks for wanting to get involved. Here’s to you succeeding.

All my best,

michaelberan
06-08-2011, 09:10 PM
With that being said, hats off to you. Thanks for wanting to get involved. Here’s to you succeeding.
All my best,

Thanks Dan,

There will a curve to learn but there is now more transparency in the organization, I've been to the NAFA business meetings over the past 9 years during the meets (I'm a meet junkie), I think it is easier now for newbies than it has ever been in the past.

rri32701
06-08-2011, 10:37 PM
I'll be voting

Lowachi
06-09-2011, 01:32 AM
I'll be voting

Glad to see ya throw yer hat in the ring! And yes I heard Kent then too!clapp Newbies take awhile ta get settled in. I Hope yiu accomplish your desires and stick with it long enough ta do it.

ATB
Rich

ericedw
06-09-2011, 08:25 AM
I think it is easier now for newbies than it has ever been in the past.

MUCH MUCH easier, things are running so much smoother now and NAFA is overall in a good place, in my opinion.

Within a few months of me taking office 4 years ago our agendas were up to 20 items (most of them nonsense) and we came out of those meetings bruised and bloody but right now there is a great group of directors that are working together for the members.

Read through and understand the Constitution and Bylaws as well as the policies and proceedures manual (that's a fun read) and you'll certainly be ahead of the learning curve.

And good luck in the election.

Saluqi
06-09-2011, 08:28 AM
We're going to have a new director orientation at the meets starting this year. That's where you learn the secret handshake and are given the number to the bat phone.

jondarp
06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
MUCH MUCH easier, things are running so much smoother now and NAFA is overall in a good place, in my opinion.

Within a few months of me taking office 4 years ago our agendas were up to 20 items (most of them nonsense) and we came out of those meetings bruised and bloody but right now there is a great group of directors that are working together for the members.

Read through and understand the Constitution and Bylaws as well as the policies and proceedures manual (that's a fun read) and you'll certainly be ahead of the learning curve.

And good luck in the election.

I'd agree that NAFA is indeed overall in a good place thanks in no small part to the efforts of people like Eric Edwards and other NAFA directors who are not afraid to get involved, speak their minds and make an concerted effort to affect some meaningful changes to the organization.

Regards,

Lowachi
06-09-2011, 12:12 PM
I'd agree that NAFA is indeed overall in a good place thanks in no small part to the efforts of people like Eric Edwards and other NAFA directors who are not afraid to get involved, speak their minds and make an concerted effort to affect some meaningful changes to the organization.

Regards,
haillthanks to all for their efforts in my/our behalf. I appreciate it!!!!!clapp

michaelberan
06-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I've had several requests about what I've done as in Falconry.

I was raised in the swamps of Louisiana around Catahoula Lake in central Louisiana, a child of the 70's I always had a bird of some sort around, in 1973 I rescued a crow and free flew it around the house, in 1975 I rescued a young Red Shoulder Hawk and flew it for three years, never jessed it, never caged it just hunted craw-fish and frogs with it, for all accounts it was a free bird, but when I called it down with a leopard frog (it's favorite) it would come right away.

2003 I received my Falconry permit, I didn't know about NAFA that year, flew a RT "tweener", 2004 was my first NAFA meet in Garden City, KS (have attended everyone since then), released 1st RT, trapped and flew another RT, then a CB HH, in 2006 I traveled to AZ, Tuscon and trapped a passage HH, in 2009 I trapped another passage HH. 2009 was the year I imprinted a male Saker Falcon for an abatement job I was doing, turned out a perfect imprint, flying puppy dog and not a peep. 2010 I imprinted an EEO to hunt Jackrabbits with but the Film industry side tracked me, we have done a few films and a few commercials, currently I am imprinting two Saker Falcons, a brother/sister combo to fly this fall.

I'm active with the Texas Hawking Association, I teach an apprentice work shop for the summer picnic and I've done apprentice workshops during the winter meets.

I've hunted most of the central states and enjoy gang hawking HH's with other Falconers, I enjoy the company of other Falconers and really love the different meets I've attended.

michaelberan
06-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Interesting personal story:

I'm securing funds for a large project coming up and I'm seeking the money from the private sector, one of the possible sources paid to have me take a personality test, very complex test, over 300 questions.

The results came in the mail Saturday.

Does anyone what to hear the results of this test?

Tony James
06-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Interesting personal story:

I'm securing funds for a large project coming up and I'm seeking the money from the private sector, one of the possible sources paid to have me take a personality test, very complex test, over 300 questions.

The results came in the mail Saturday.

Does anyone what to hear the results of this test?

Given that most falconers are slightly unhinged, I'd love to knowtoungeout

michaelberan
06-12-2011, 06:26 PM
OK Tony you asked for it!

And I know this is "putting it out there" but I am who I am and thats what I am, wouldn't you like to know who your voting for ..... for a change?

It says I'm and "I/D" personality : Influence/Dominance, Interest in People/Directness, Witty/Task Oriented, Easy Going/Decisive, Outgoing/Organized

"I/D's" are persuaders who are outgoing and energetic. They enjoy large groups and use their power of influence to attain respect and convince people to fallow their lead. Sometimes they can be viewed as figity and nervous, BUT it comes from their need to be a part of challenges that have verity, freedom and mobility. "I/D's" could benefit from looking before they leap and spending more time being studious and still. They make inspiring leaders and know how to get results from and through people.

"Now the nitty gritty"
Opportunities for Personal Growth:

If you are an "I/D"
A. Weigh the pros and cons before making a decision; be less impulsive
B. Remember to help with tasks more
C. Exercise control over your actions, words and emotions
D. Focus more on details and facts
E. Remember to slow down your pace for other people
F. Talk less; listen more

Having a sales background I've taken several of these over the years and they have always been very accurate AND I'm always exploring opportunities for personal growth.

Tony James
06-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Opportunities for Personal Growth:

A. Weigh the pros and cons before making a decision; be less impulsive
B. Remember to help with tasks more
C. Exercise control over your actions, words and emotions
D. Focus more on details and facts
E. Remember to slow down your pace for other people
F. Talk less; listen more

I can only imagine, if you take that advice, you could be a real asset to NAFAclapp

Best of luck,

Tony.

Tony James
06-12-2011, 07:15 PM
I've had several requests about what I've done as in Falconry.

Hi Michael,

I keep thinking about this, as I remember some of the most inspirational and valuable 'workers' in the various falconry clubs and associations I've had contact with.

Strangely, but perhaps unsurprisingly, there seems to be no connection between a falconer's experience or ability in the field, and their ability to provide valuable service to the members.

Sure, some of those members use any perceived inadequacy in falconry terms as a stick with which to beat you, and for sure it's nice to have a record that prevents them doing so, but in truth some of the finest defenders of falconry, and some of the most useful and committed 'club men' I've known, have not always been the best falconers.

I'm assuming the post of director calls for an understanding of 'direction' and good policy, commitment and a host of skills that may be used for the benefit of others, and yet the first thing we all want to know of anyone standing for election is, "What are your falconry credentials"?

Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Best wishes,

Tony.

frootdog
06-13-2011, 05:16 AM
Strangely, but perhaps unsurprisingly, there seems to be no connection between a falconer's experience or ability in the field, and their ability to provide valuable service to the members.

This may be true, but I want gamehawkers running my club, not petkeepers or rehabbers. THA members recently elected a rehabber as a director and his first directors report was a pathetic paragraph. You reap what you sow.

echotadog
06-13-2011, 04:49 PM
This may be true, but I want gamehawkers running my club, not petkeepers or rehabbers. THA members recently elected a rehabber as a director and his first directors report was a pathetic paragraph. You reap what you sow.

clappamennn

Tony James
06-13-2011, 05:21 PM

Hi Krys,

sorry, I was taking that much for granted (nobody is keener than me to preserve the distinction between falconers and others with an interest in birds of prey).
But, the best falconer may not necessarily prove to be the best servant of a falconry organisation, nor the best representative of other falconers.

Best wishes,

Tony.

frootdog
06-14-2011, 02:49 AM
Hi Krys,

sorry, I was taking that much for granted (nobody is keener than me to preserve the distinction between falconers and others with an interest in birds of prey).
But, the best falconer may not necessarily prove to be the best servant of a falconry organisation, nor the best representative of other falconers.

Best wishes,

Tony.

I agree with you on that 100%.

michaelberan
06-15-2011, 10:15 PM
OK, Tony and Krys, this thread is about ME and I'm both, awesome Falconer, awesome Southeastern Director material! :D

Tony James
06-16-2011, 04:46 PM
OK, Tony and Krys, this thread is about ME and I'm both, awesome Falconer, awesome Southeastern Director material! :D

In that case you should be very well received ;-). I wish you the best of luck,

Tony.

michaelberan
06-22-2011, 04:01 PM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/Titaniumtalons/IMG_0173_edited-1.jpg

Michael Beran

Michael Beran is a Master Falconer from Bossier City, Louisiana. He became a falconer in 2003 and has been a NAFA member since 2004. He has trained and hunted with passage Red-tailed Hawks, passage and captive bred Harris Hawks. His current hunting team is a cast of Harris’s Hawks. He enjoys attending NAFA meets, traveling and hunting with his hawks, and hunting with other Harris’s Hawkers. Michael has also organized and conducted training workshops for apprentices of the Texas Hawking Association and the Arkansas Hawking Association.
Michael holds a Special Purpose Abatement permit and performs various types of abatement projects. He has imprinted and uses primarily Saker Falcons for this work. He has also trained and used his Eurasian Eagle Owl and European Buzzard for conservation education and film industry work. Michael’s raptor experience started at the early age of eight, when he rehabilitated everything from Barn Owls to Red-tailed Hawks.
Michael is the owner and manager of A All Animal Control of Northwest Louisiana, a business that conducts nuisance wild animal control in Louisiana. He can arrange his schedule to be available for all NAFA meetings and other NAFA duties. He is very fortunate because his lovely wife, Bonnie, and two sons, Chance and Michael David fully support his commitment to falconry and NAFA.
His leadership experience includes his current service as Vice President of the Louisiana Chapter of Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators of America. He is also on the Editing Board for Wildlife Damage Management at the University of Nebraska, and has authored chapters in wildlife management books. For the past four years, Michael has been the Scout Master for Troop 205 in Bossier City, Louisiana.
As Southeastern Director, he would work toward the following goals. He would do everything in his power to assist the southeastern states with the adoption of the revised falconry regulations. One priority here is to ensure that states reciprocate with respect to travel, moving to, and hunting in other states. He would also lobby for legalization of a Peregrine Falcon to take in all southeastern states where it is not permitted now but could be. As your Director, Michael would engage the southeastern members as much as possible, and include reports from falconers and clubs in his Director reports. Michael’s impression is that the average NAFA member finds the leadership aloof and not concerned enough with hunting issues. He will strive to make NAFA into something all falconers want to be a part of, and encourage non-member falconers to join NAFA. He will also urge NAFA to make hunting the first priority for NAFA meets. He will encourage NAFA to develop more training materials for apprentices and to offer apprentice workshops. Also, Michael plans to help organize such training in the southeast directorate. As your Director, he will encourage NAFA to get more young people involved in falconry. He has never been convicted or plead guilty or nolo contendere to any felony of whatever kind, or any misdemeanor falconry or wildlife related activity.

FredFogg
06-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Personally, I would change all the he's to I, etc. Talking in 3rd person seems like you are posting the bio of someone else. LOL

michaelberan
06-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Talking in 3rd person seems like you are posting the bio of someone else.

According to all the great research I did, Biography's are best read in the third person, so they say, the first person perspective makes the reader think the person of the Bio is being braggadocios.

Icantmove
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
He has never been convicted or plead guilty or nolo contendere to any felony of whatever kind, or any misdemeanor falconry or wildlife related activity.

Why do you bring this up?

Jimmy
06-23-2011, 11:24 AM
because it's a stupid requirement of nafa's.........

michaelberan
06-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Why do you bring this up?

Mostly because I have never been convicted or plead guilty or nolo contendere to any felony of whatever kind, or any misdemeanor falconry or wildlife related activity. It is a required statement in your Biography when running for NAFA office. But mostly because I am clean as a whistle, a new whistle, not a Falconers whistle ......

FredFogg
06-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Mostly because I have never been convicted or plead guilty or nolo contendere to any felony of whatever kind, or any misdemeanor falconry or wildlife related activity. It is a required statement in your Biography when running for NAFA office. But mostly because I am clean as a whistle, a new whistle, not a Falconers whistle ......

Hmmm, if you are sooooo clean, why the larger font and in red? LOL toungeout :D

Icantmove
06-24-2011, 09:36 AM
because it's a stupid requirement of nafa's.........

<offtopic>

Does NAFA check these statements for accuracy somehow?

Also, will your bio be in the next Hawk Chalk, will it be posted online, or is this as far as it goes?

FredFogg
06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
<offtopic>

Does NAFA check these statements for accuracy somehow?

Also, will your bio be in the next Hawk Chalk, will it be posted online, or is this as far as it goes?

Yes to all of the above except for the as far as it goes.

michaelberan
06-24-2011, 11:51 PM
is this as far as it goes?

It goes and goes and goes as long as you want to talk about it, but if you live in Texas it's all nill because you don't vote for the Southeastern Director you vote for the Central Director

What part of my Bio do you want to know is accurate?

Icantmove
06-25-2011, 01:24 AM
I don't doubt you personally, Mr. Beran, nor do I mean for it to seem that way. The presence of a disclaimer in what is otherwise a shining bio is simply strange to me.

If I carry this further, it will be through PMs. My train of thought doesn't relate to the topic at hand any more.

frootdog
06-25-2011, 12:58 PM
The presence of a disclaimer in what is otherwise a shining bio is simply strange to me.

You will see the same disclaimer at the end of every candidates bio when they all come out. As has been said it's a NAFA requirement. Odd though considering how some of the biggest names in falconry are among those excluded from running by said disclaimer.

michaelberan
07-07-2011, 10:29 AM
The ballots will be mailed out July 15th, who here feels strongly enough about my candidacy to help me make 15-20 phone calls on or about the 15-17th to remind NAFA Falconers to actually fill out the ballot and mail it back in....... and if they ask, promote me as a meaningful candidate.

jfseaman
07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
The ballots will be mailed out July 15th, who here feels strongly enough about my candidacy to help me make 15-20 phone calls on or about the 15-17th to remind NAFA Falconers to actually fill out the ballot and mail it back in....... and if they ask, promote me as a meaningful candidate.
I would but I'm not sure it would help confusedd

michaelberan
07-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I've been getting a ton of those political family picture from Louisiana politics and it reminded me that I need to post a family picture as well, so here ya go, My Wife Bonnie, My 15 year old Eagle Scout son Chance, me and one of my new apprentices and wildlife control technicians.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/Titaniumtalons/owl11025b.jpg

frootdog
07-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I've been getting a ton of those political family picture from Louisiana politics and it reminded me that I need to post a family picture as well, so here ya go, My Wife Bonnie, My 15 year old Eagle Scout son Chance, me and one of my new apprentices and wildlife control technicians.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/Titaniumtalons/owl11025b.jpg

That is the Texas flag behind you and not in the SE Directorate.toungeout

michaelberan
07-12-2011, 07:44 PM
That is the Texas flag behind you and not in the SE Directorate.toungeout

Right you are happy one, flag Texas, as was in Texas!

americansharpy
07-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Michael, what other falconry and hunting related organizations or groups do you belong to? Thanks

michaelberan
07-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Michael, what other falconry and hunting related organizations or groups do you belong to? Thanks

Texas Hawking Association
Arkansas Hawking Association
Red River Dirt Hawkers
North American Falconry Association
Ducks Unlimited
National Wildlife Control Operators Association
National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
Bossier Chamber of Commerce
Better Buiseness Bureau

frootdog
07-16-2011, 08:25 PM
At the risk of upsetting some people.......

I have known Micheal for nearly 8 years. He comes to town quite often and hawks. He ALWAYS asks for permission to hawk "my" fields. He also does a TON of legwork prior to and during the NAFA meets to ensure he has good hunting land.

Think twice about who you vote for. Micheal would have my vote in a heartbeat if I were in the SE Directorate.

*******EDITED: DO Not talk about someone who is not here to defend themselves. This type of "debate" needs to be on the NAFA site not NAFEX. NAFEX will not be the debate platform for NAFA. Take this to the NAFA site**********

Jimmy
07-16-2011, 10:54 PM
If I was still a nafa member, Michael would certainly get my vote over his opponent.

Chris L.
07-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Krys and all NAFEX members, see my edited post above.

I know this has happened before during the NAFA elections but I am not going to do this anymore on NAFEX. NAFEX is not a political platform for NAFA candidates. I do not mind people posting about themselves or a candidate but it has to be done in a positive way. I do not want my site to get wrapped up into the politics of NAFA. This puts me and NAFEX in a bad situation. I do not want anyone assuming that NAFEX or myself are supporting one candidate over another.

Thank you for understanding

Chris L.
07-17-2011, 11:36 AM
I am closing this thread until I figure out a solution to this problem.

Michael, Good luck with the election