PDA

View Full Version : Intro

kurt
12-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Hello, I'm a 1st year general from west of St Louis MO. I've had 3 different RTs. The first was a small female that I flew through my apprenticeship and released last spring. My second was a large male I trapped in Sept, he started slow but came on well and was an impressive hunter. Unfortunately he was electrocuted last week while hunting along with a wild female he was attacked by.
I'm training a new male I trapped last week and will probably release after this season. Haven't decided what to fly next year but leaning towards an accipiter. Kurt

Jimmy
12-26-2006, 08:21 PM
That's a shame about your bird. Sorry to hear that. It's bad enough when 1 gets shocked, yet alone 2 at once. Which accipiter are you thinking about trying?

kurt
12-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Either a Cooper's or a Goshawk. I'd like to try the tame hack method that Mike discribes in American Falconry, actually got to see that bird several times. Kurt

Shortwingn
12-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Glad to have you here Kurt,
Hope you find something good.
Erik

`Chris L.
12-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Kurt,
Welcome to the board. I am sorry to hear about your loss. It really sucks to hear that.

I too am looking to start with an accipiter. I am going to go with the coops. I am looking right now. I too have read that article

i started a topic about hit here http://nafex.net/viewtopic.php?t=139 please contribute or if you have questions. This will be my first coops so we will see. Well got to trap one first [smilie=icon_hang.gif]

Good luck, please keep us posted

Bobby Parrott
12-27-2006, 09:27 AM
welcome, Kurt. Sorry to hear about your RT. I have been pondering an eyass coops next year. Gotta love the lil psychos.

Bobby

kurt
12-27-2006, 11:37 AM
If I'm lucky this year I'll only have to go about 200 yards from my front door for a bird. Last two years a male coop used my bird feeders as it's primary hunting spot while supplying the chicks. Two young survived to hone their skills here too. Prey of choice were morning doves. Kurt

`Chris L.
12-27-2006, 11:44 AM
If I'm lucky this year I'll only have to go about 200 yards from my front door for a bird. Last two years a male coop used my bird feeders as it's primary hunting spot while supplying the chicks. Two young survived to hone their skills here too. Prey of choice were morning doves. Kurt

[smilie=banana.gif] oh yeah, how nice.. waht are you going to use as a trap kurt,

I dont know if I should use sparrows or doves..

let me know

I bet that is great to watch with a nice cup of warm joe..thats awesome

Lilroof
12-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Kurt,
Welcome. I hope you trap a coops soon. Chris cant stop talking about trapping one. It will be nice to read your posts on one

good luck

jen

kurt
12-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Trpping a coop will have to wait until next season as I'm at my two bird wild take limit. Plus, I'm training the new MRT and would like to have him going by our January meet. That'll keep me occupied for the rest of this season.Kurt