PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Canadian....

Boabab95
06-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey,

Soo, not quite sure how to introduce myself, so I'll start with something.

I breed Poison Dart Frogs, and keep a variety of other reptiles and amphibians...as well as a Golden Retriever [who hates water], and a Conure...

I've loved Raptors and falconry since i first learned how to talk, and Have always wanted to get my license. I was going to last year at the Falconry Centre of Canada, bu they closed down and turned into some weird bird trading thing [i have no idea,] so i wasnt able to...I'm thinking of getting it again, but this time going through the Department of Naural Resources [do they do it in Canada?] then going onto apprenticeship...

My Goal is to eventually own a few Sakers and African Fishing eagle...maybe an owl or two, and Of course, a redtail. :D

I do have a redtailed hawk, but its mounted[:eek:] in my room...[yes, i'm crazyy]

Well, I think Thats about it....
Any questions, feel free to ask.rtsqrl[< love that emoticon!!!]

Boabab95
06-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Couple things to add ;

I'm a 16 year old guy, love all things nature, have over 63 species of tropical plants, and while i'm sure TONS of people did the same thing, the one thing that really got me into Falconry [and got me researching it more] was [I]My Side of the Mountain and the other two sequels...

If anybody is in the hamilton area [or even kitchener] I'd love to ''pick your brain''...haha

P.s. I haven't stopped reading threads since 2 pm...this is a great site!

Tom Scheib
06-27-2011, 06:56 AM
I raised reindeer until last year and would exhibit them many places during Scandinavian festivals and around Christmas. I was frequently asked, "do you breed them"?

My reply was always, no, I have a big bull reindeer that does that.

welcome to the forum.

Joby
06-27-2011, 09:24 AM
First off welcome to our obsession!! Second, before the "police" get on you, you'll want to start signing your name to all your posts. It's one of the only rules here on the forum and helps to keep folks civil. BTW I went to the Falconry Center of Canada's web page (http://www.falconrycentre.com/p1.htm) and all I could say was WTF!! Was that place ever a real BOP center or what?

sakerjack
06-27-2011, 09:31 AM
First off welcome to our obsession!! Second, before the "police" get on you, you'll want to start signing your name to all your posts. It's one of the only rules here on the forum and helps to keep folks civil. BTW I went to the Falconry Center of Canada's web page (http://www.falconrycentre.com/p1.htm) and all I could say was WTF!! Was that place ever a real BOP center or what?

LMAO,, Wilf has certainly changed,,I bought a very nice gos from years ago. He has his own views on things for sure..

Pedioecetes
06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Google "Ontario Hawking Club". There is a lot of excellent falconry in Ontario and the OHC is the center of it.

Squirrelhawkin
06-27-2011, 11:38 AM
BTW I went to the Falconry Center of Canada's web page (http://www.falconrycentre.com/p1.htm) and all I could say was WTF!!

I'm gonna shoot a cow and see if I can trade him for a Forest hawk.:D

varanus
06-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Wow thats all I can say. The trade values on some of those birds is crazy an OZ of gold for an AK.

hawking
06-27-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm gonna shoot a cow and see if I can trade him for a Forest hawk.:D

I was pondering the same thing..........I have never bought a bird there but have spoken to them in the past. Just ran across there web site, It does seem to have gotten a bit odd, not sure what that is all about??? I can repsect a guy who stands up for what he believes but that is going a bit over board. His prices have certainly jumped. Not sure if he is just yanking the MNR around or what......

hawking
06-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Hey,

Soo, not quite sure how to introduce myself, so I'll start with something.

I breed Poison Dart Frogs, and keep a variety of other reptiles and amphibians...as well as a Golden Retriever [who hates water], and a Conure...

I've loved Raptors and falconry since i first learned how to talk, and Have always wanted to get my license. I was going to last year at the Falconry Centre of Canada, bu they closed down and turned into some weird bird trading thing [i have no idea,] so i wasnt able to...I'm thinking of getting it again, but this time going through the Department of Naural Resources [do they do it in Canada?] then going onto apprenticeship...

My Goal is to eventually own a few Sakers and African Fishing eagle...maybe an owl or two, and Of course, a redtail. :D

I do have a redtailed hawk, but its mounted[:eek:] in my room...[yes, i'm crazyy]

Well, I think Thats about it....
Any questions, feel free to ask.rtsqrl[< love that emoticon!!!]

You should look into the regulations. The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources is the place you need to contact. Do a web search it is all available online. Just curious but what do you wish to hunt?

Boabab95
06-27-2011, 06:07 PM
You should look into the regulations. The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources is the place you need to contact. Do a web search it is all available online. Just curious but what do you wish to hunt?

I've called everywhere today, i was on the phone for 3 hours...HAHA, i'm going for a small game license on the 16th...

I honestly dont know...does goose count as small game? mabye ill get a nice dinner :P no, but honestly, i dont know...whatever the hawk catches i guess...

hawking
06-27-2011, 08:18 PM
I've called everywhere today, i was on the phone for 3 hours...HAHA, i'm going for a small game license on the 16th...

I honestly dont know...does goose count as small game? mabye ill get a nice dinner :P no, but honestly, i dont know...whatever the hawk catches i guess...

I appreciate the enthusiasm.

Seriously, you need to consider the question of what you wish to hunt.

Your selection of bird, your ability to succeed, as well as picking the right sponsor will depend on what you wish to accomplish. I have sent potential apprentices down the road to the next guy because they were a better fit for what they wanted to fly and do.

You also need to do some soul searching about your intent and motivation. Where you really want to go in this sport. Please don't take this as an insult or criticism. Some decide to fly a certain bird or style and catch what they can, some decide to fly a certain quarry and pick there bird and style based on that. It is a different road to the same end.

The privilege of working and hunting with these birds.

Welcome and the best of luck to you.

Boabab95
06-27-2011, 09:42 PM
I appreciate the enthusiasm.

Seriously, you need to consider the question of what you wish to hunt.

Your selection of bird, your ability to succeed, as well as picking the right sponsor will depend on what you wish to accomplish. I have sent potential apprentices down the road to the next guy because they were a better fit for what they wanted to fly and do.

You also need to do some soul searching about your intent and motivation. Where you really want to go in this sport. Please don't take this as an insult or criticism. Some decide to fly a certain bird or style and catch what they can, some decide to fly a certain quarry and pick there bird and style based on that. It is a different road to the same end.

The privilege of working and hunting with these birds.

Welcome and the best of luck to you.

Based on whats actually found around here, it would be rabbits, squirrels, geese and the occasioanal seagul or something...

As for my intent, it's really just to enjoy a sport that has been around forever, that incorporates my two favourite things, Birds of prey, and being outdoors... and being able to care for one of the worlds most beautiful creatures, and experience one of the greatest hunting techniques first hand...

i appreciate the constructive critisism...honestly, i do, it actually helps alot...

hawking
06-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Based on whats actually found around here, it would be rabbits, squirrels, geese and the occasioanal seagul or something...

As for my intent, it's really just to enjoy a sport that has been around forever, that incorporates my two favourite things, Birds of prey, and being outdoors... and being able to care for one of the worlds most beautiful creatures, and experience one of the greatest hunting techniques first hand...

i appreciate the constructive critisism...honestly, i do, it actually helps alot...

There are many options available to you. I will not go into them all but here is my suggestion. Rabbits and squirrel are good fun, without a large bird and a lot of experience, geese are a hazard at best, seagulls are protected so are off the menu.

So i suggest you enter a proper apprenticeship(this is the most important step). Forget what you learn't from the center that closed.

Travel around, watch the different birds fly and catch game. Decide what you want to fly. If you decide on a bird other than a RT such as a Gos ect. Spend a year with your new sponsor watching him train, fly and hunt his bird. After a years time, when you better understand the requirements of the bird you desire, look at getting your own bird and starting your path to becoming a licensed falconer.

or if you are set and happy with the quarry you have selected

Find a sponsor that fly's and catch's rabbit and squirrel, preferably with a RT and study under them, with luck they will be close by, if not spend the money to travel. Buy a female RT and learn(forget the other species for now). Any money you spend learning the right way first time around will more than pay you back with a lifetime of good sport.

Did I mention to find a decent licensed sponsor who is not interested in selling you a course or a bird!

From here listen to your sponsor. There are more ways to train a bird then there are falconers, don't go trying to learn them all. Learn from your sponsor first and then go and develope your own style after you have a good understanding of what you are doing. Research so you better understand the lesson yes, but your sponsors word must be the end all and be all until you are trained, you really do owe them that much for there time and effort in training you.

This is the best way in my opinion(I may have a few). It will give you the highest likely hood of success. Sure, there are short cuts(courses ect), but they will cost you both money and confidence, as well as rob you of a proper learning experience and result in many days or seasons of frustration(Been there).

Hope this helps

Boabab95
06-28-2011, 11:53 AM
thank you, that helps a lot.