PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Cmoore
06-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Hello everyone,

Thought I might as well put in a little introduction as I'm very interested in eventually joining the world of falconry. Unfortunately, I will be departing to Alaska in late August to attend college (majoring in Wildlife Biology) so my space and time for falconry will be next to none. I'm hoping this forum will be a good way to keep me somewhat involved and keep my interest in the sport alive. Currently I'm volunteering at a rehabilitation center and am taking care of everything from Common Ravens and Doves to Peregrines and Bald Eagles, I really love doing it.

I'm hoping I will be able to contribute to this forum somewhat and can't want to learn more about the sport itself so I can transition into it a little easier when the time comes. I'll be sure to ask questions!

Thanks

Ross
07-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Welcome Chris,
Neither going to college or living in Alaska should stop you from getting started. There are many of us that got started in college. I started falconry while in vet school [a very time limiting program], and had an extremely tight budget in those days. I believe that the towns in Alaska large enough to have colleges would all have practicing falconers. The problem with Alaska is while there is some very cool raptor availability the hunting conditions can be pretty tough. I would view it as an opportunity.

REYNALDO
07-01-2011, 07:21 AM
(welc)chris...some good readings here.

Cmoore
07-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks you very much for the welcomes, I look forward to contributing to the forums as I have said. Hearing that some of you have started in college is definitely comforting and encouraging. My main concerns right now lie with what exactly will be done both with my bird and with my apprenticeship as I live in Arizona over the summer. I'm not sure exactly how many falconers are active in Alaska over the Winter/Fall. Looks like I have some more research to do and will likely look into apprenticeships as well as the ADF&G. I may have already found a chapter of falconers in Alaska I can contact :D

Thanks for the words of encouragment!

calebstroh
07-01-2011, 08:12 PM
College threw a wrench in my falconry spokes also! (But I suspect them Alaska gals aughta be able to keep an Azrizona guy warm...)

Then I come on here and find out lots of folks are doing it successfully. Wish I'da known that!

Welcome!

NMHighPlains
07-01-2011, 10:11 PM
My main concerns right now lie with what exactly will be done both with my bird and with my apprenticeship as I live in Arizona over the summer.

Where do you claim residency? That's where your apprenticeship program can happen. Suppose you claim AZ residency- get a sponsor there who will agree to work with you on this. When you get to AK, find another falconer (maybe the two will know each other) to sort of supervise you and act as a surrogate sponsor. He can talk to your real sponsor. You're traveling and there's no law against that. Or, if you claim residency in AK, then you're golden- get a sponsor there, and "travel" to AZ for the summer. Better yet, just ask AK what they'd like for you to do.

You're only under apprenticeship for 2 years and in the long run of your falconry career, that's nothing. Just get it done and over with, move on the General and it'll all be peaches.

As for college, I started in college (Wildlife Sci major. I edited the dept newsletter and got published on a personal research project as an undergrad, so don't tell me I wasn't busy). During summer, I took my bird with me. Having discovered the virtues of a bolt-together mews, it was easy enough to toss the mews on a trailer and take it along. Or, just let the bird go come summer and trap another one in the fall.

Main thing is- where there's a will, there's a way.

Cmoore
07-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Where do you claim residency? That's where your apprenticeship program can happen. Suppose you claim AZ residency- get a sponsor there who will agree to work with you on this. When you get to AK, find another falconer (maybe the two will know each other) to sort of supervise you and act as a surrogate sponsor. He can talk to your real sponsor. You're traveling and there's no law against that. Or, if you claim residency in AK, then you're golden- get a sponsor there, and "travel" to AZ for the summer. Better yet, just ask AK what they'd like for you to do.

You're only under apprenticeship for 2 years and in the long run of your falconry career, that's nothing. Just get it done and over with, move on the General and it'll all be peaches.

As for college, I started in college (Wildlife Sci major. I edited the dept newsletter and got published on a personal research project as an undergrad, so don't tell me I wasn't busy). During summer, I took my bird with me. Having discovered the virtues of a bolt-together mews, it was easy enough to toss the mews on a trailer and take it along. Or, just let the bird go come summer and trap another one in the fall.

Main thing is- where there's a will, there's a way.

Thank you so much again for the words of encouragement. I was actually thinking about trying the first method you described, so it appears I'll need to make some phone calls to probably both Game & Fish depts. I currently claim residency in Arizona and can't really change that as I rely on it for a scholarship. I will also be flying across both destinations so I'd either need to find a way to do so with the bird or just man it up and take the drive confusedd Are there any rules or regulations regarding traveling with your bird that might be a problem?

Thanks!

outhawkn
07-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Ask Falconboy about college and falconry.....he did great at both at the same time...you can do it if ya want to