PDA

View Full Version : INTRO;

jim blake
08-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi everyone,my names Jim, I live in Norfolk,England.
I've been a falconer for 30 yrs or so.I've flown Peregrines at rook,Merlins at lark and HH's,RT's and currently a female Gos at rabbits,both here in Norfolk and on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire.I work a Hungarian Viszla,a breed i've used for the best part of 25 years now.
Looking forward to the coming season,all the best, Jim

Keith Denman
08-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Hello Jim my name is Keith I live in Texas. It is nice to meet you.

jim blake
08-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Cheers Keith,likewise.

ATB Jim

outhawkn
08-14-2011, 11:11 AM
(welc) to Nafex and this side of the pond.....:D

jim blake
08-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Many thanks.I've never been, but my good friends John and Laila Green used to be the NAFA reps over here for many years.we fly our Gosses together throughout the season,

Yours, jim

sugezwolf
08-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone,my names Jim, I live in Norfolk,England.
I've been a falconer for 30 yrs or so.I've flown Peregrines at rook,Merlins at lark and HH's,RT's and currently a female Gos at rabbits,both here in Norfolk and on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire.I work a Hungarian Viszla,a breed i've used for the best part of 25 years now.
Looking forward to the coming season,all the best, Jim

Hi Jim - good to have you aboard mate! :D

Gerry x

flymt
08-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Welcome Jim
I have never been to Norfolk area or any of the west coast for that matter. If your hare population is anything like it is up north or west of london along M4 I envy your opportunities.

jim blake
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi Gerry-so this is where you're hiding!<G>
(Mr Hill doesn't want me on his little site anymore,though I can still visit it,so I followed Phil's link from that marvelous clip "glove waving etc" and here i am!)

Hi Rod, Norfolk is on the East coast here in the UK.There are plenty of hares here too, but i'de rather be in your State with my best Orvis rod in my hand!!<VBG>

ATB Jim

flymt
08-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks Jim
I realized my mistake when I was researching for a trip to see friends in Scotland. It seems the grass/stream is always greener on the other side of the fence/pond.

jim blake
08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
True Rod, true.I had a spell where i would take the hawks north to Mull every year.Tried a saker at Hoodie crows one time,(caught one or two).
But the best fun was rabbits with Hawks.The best time was when my female HH caught 49 rabbits and a hen pheasant in five days.Used to give the rabbits to the local pub, where we ate and enjoyed 'preferential rates' for our food.
Mull used to litteraly teem with rabbits but the flu thinned them out so much, it became a hopeless cause.
the way i see it now is;when you have plenty of quarry at home,why go anywhere else?

ATB Jim

flymt
08-17-2011, 06:00 PM
49! that is the stuff of dreams here. A few years ago I traveled from Inverurie/Kemney to Aberdeen Scotland for several evenings and was amazed at the number of rabbits along the road.
I have purchased a farm recently and I am trying to build the population of bunnies to a huntable level. The addition of brush piles along the fences seem to be working quite well.
The planting of wheat to the exclusion of all other crops in this area limits habitat for rabbits. I manage to find plenty, but I have to go from one small pocket to another.

thunderheartiii
08-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Hello and (welc) to NAFEX.

jim blake
08-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks Jim.
You're right about the roadside verges Rod.There are thousands of rabbits littering the banks and roadsides of the UK.Safe as houses too i'de say.
Talking with my hawking buddy,we agree there are slips that you could consider with a harris that you'de never take on with a Gos,(due to the set up),but I wouldn't take on a slip next to a road with a HH.I'm sure in time, the rabbits on your land will find themselves drawn in to look for a food source and possibly a bank or hill to build a warren in.
Do your rabbits live above or below ground?

Jim