PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Whittier. (Los Angeles)

Hissingroach
08-22-2011, 03:19 PM
My name is Rick. I am 31 years old and have been interested in Falconry since I was a young boy, however I have not given it much though until recently due to the fact that I was moving almost every year. I have passed the time with other forms of animal husbandry such as breeding snakes, geckos, scorpions, praying mantis and yes hissing roaches (hence the screen name...it always seems to be available :D). This may come as a surprise to falconers everywhere, but reptile folks for the most part are a bit on the nutty side. I have lurked on reptile forums for over 10 years and have posted a handful of times. I have 1 close friend that is a "herper" and we both agree that it is a different world of people. It doesn't require much to own and destroy a reptiles life, a few dollars, a trip to Petco, and sum poor desert dwelling critter will be misted to death upon the advice of someone who knows less than they did.

After going through a divorce, tearing/replacing my ACL, and getting my business off the ground, I decided to take a break from my animal hobbies and sell my breeders. I now have only a beagle (maverick), cat (Pierre),Sulcata tortoise (Big Hurc.) and a few Vampire Crabs. Im Looking forward to working with animals that combine my love of the outdoors and hunting with a few less nutty people.

I have read the responses to new people that post here and after only 10 minutes I wanted to say hi. I have been hunting (despite being socal born and raised) since I was 16. My best memories are from being out doors. Im looking forward to going to Utah this year for elk. Once that is put behind me, I will be ready to start taking the next step to hunting with a raptor. I have ordered the guides from CHC and the Kestrel book by Mullenix. BTW this book is about $390 on the Barnes and Nobel website......crazyy I think I paid $25. I asked my gf Ashley if she thought you got a voucher for a free pair of Kestrels with each book... LOl

If anyone is local and heading out I would love to tag along and help split gas money. I would also be willing to meet up in the field if that works better.

Thanks in advance!

Rick Lewis

FredFogg
08-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Im Looking forward to working with animals that combine my love of the outdoors and hunting with a few less nutty people.

Dude, you picked the wrong sport if you are looking for less nutty people than in the reptile world! LOL :eek: :D

(welc) to NAFEX anyway!

Hissingroach
08-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Let me clarify. I meant nuts that have to do a bit of homework before they get started. :D

hawkguy1
08-22-2011, 09:31 PM
(welc) to NAFEX Rick

SubLevel
08-22-2011, 10:20 PM
(welc)(welc)(welc)(welc)(welc)(welc) and (welc) :D

i think my emoticon button got stuckconfusedd

dirtwinger
08-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Let me clarify. I meant nuts that have to do a bit of homework before they get started. :D
Good job you are not in the UK then, your description would sadly fit many in Britain entering falconry these days. We are very lucky to have the apprentice system here in the USA to filter out the dilletantes.
Oh and welcome to Nafex.

raptrlvr
08-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Spent many a Saturday night cruising down Whitter Blvd when I was a young man.

Tranloi
11-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Hi Rick, my name is Loi and I'm Getting started as well. When are you planning on taking the test for license?

Venomlust
11-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Hey Rick and Loi,

First of all, welcome to Nafex! It's truly a great place to discuss falconry and help each other out.

I live pretty close to both of you, though I've only just begun my apprenticeship. It will be a while before I can offer tons of advice but I have a little.

1) Join the Cal Hawking Club, this will give you access to a contact list of registered falconers in CA, and some folks who will attempt to find you a sponsor. They also periodically update us on the legal status of falconry in CA, which is really important. A few changes are coming soon.

2) Attend the CHC field meet in Bakersfield this coming January. Many falconers in one place, many are friendly and chatty and may know of falconers willing to sponsor you, or just allow you to join them on their hunts. There's a banquet with a raffle, gear/equipment vendors, seminars, and all-around good times.

http://www.calhawkingclub.org/

I think these 2 things will help you have an easier time of the whole pre-apprenticeship ordeal.

Once I get going and comfortable with my first bird, I think my sponsor would be cool with me showing you my bird/mews if you haven't already seen that stuff by then.

Tranloi
11-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Hi Venomlust, thanks for the info. I've been spending a lot of time lately reading and researching about falconry.

I just joined CHC and bought some books. I'm going to show up in Bakersfield in January as well.

Thank you.

Venomlust
11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Awesome, I hope we get a chance to say hello.

gyrmaster
11-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Get a sponser you wack job!