PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the rookie "Sugar"

threetoe
12-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi all.

I finally got off my duff and logged into my web server. I posted a few pictures for your viewing pleasure.

There are a variety of shots on my fist, in the air, on game and hunting. I have pictures of her mews, her equipment and a coping party.

Beware slow connections because several of these are very large.

Please note the MASSIVE feet of this RT. She's a very large Western.

For those of you who want more, let me know. I could put so many pictures up that you could waste an entire work day viewing them.

I hope you enjoy them.

http://www.rhinehart.net/pictures

threetoe
12-04-2007, 08:56 PM
http://www.rhinehart.net/pictures/P1010666.JPG

wesleyc6
12-04-2007, 11:32 PM
That is a very nice looking bird. How is your hunting season going with her now? I can't remember, but wasn't she the rehab bird? This is your first year, right? What do you think about it all so far?

Bodarc
12-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Beautiful bird Bill. I love those dark red tails and you're right, she does have a set of feet on her................look out rabbits.

threetoe
12-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks Johnny. Problem is that she's beautiful and I'm Butt ugly. She looks much better on the glove of someone who doesn't break mirrors.

Wes: Yea...she's a rehab bird. First year for me.
All the "Experts" said it couldn't be done. She didn't even know how to fly when I got her. (or stop for that matter)
Have you ever been hit in the glove by a 45mph 2 1/2 pound talon? She nearly knocked me over. I was unprepaired.
Yes, she's hunting. In fact as soon as I can pry myself away from this web site, we're off.
She's exactly 1080 grams (38oz)

There is little game to be had in So. Cal. Everyone is facing the same issue here and that's why I'm crying for restraint on the part of the Falconers who would NORMALLY take multiple head in a hunt. I'm asking everyone to be satisfied with singles this year.

Conservation means "Wise Use". It's wise for us to restrict ourselves this year and leave a healthy brood stock. For February.

I'm asking people in the South West to cool their heels however there are those who will justify greed.

wesleyc6
12-05-2007, 12:59 PM
I hope you will find some game and have a blast. I doubt there are many experts on rehab or captive bred RT's in the states. There may be some guys who know something about a passage bird though. LOL

Well, I am sure the guys in that area realize that the game isn't plentiful and will restrain themselves.

cbdfox
12-06-2007, 02:12 AM
good looking bird. i think your going to have a great time. it will be a learning experience for both of you.

dont be too held back about the rehab part. i flew a passage bird that was hit by a car. the bird had a broken wing a torn crop that had to be surgically repaired and lost capacity. and the hawk had a previous eye injury that left one eye darker and it appeared cracked like a marlbe wiht fishers running through it.

i hunted the bird through a winter and found it was able to recover enough to release. it ended up haveing problems with the crop. but it flew well and didnt have trouble with depth perception. at least that i could tell.

good luck.

threetoe
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
I got her 5 good slips yesterday.

The terrain we hunted provides a few bunnies and a couple Jacks but is VERY difficult to hunt because of all the escape routes.

She JUST missed on her 2nd slip. I saw what she did. She tried to get to the bunny without smashing the brush. Her legs are long but not near long enough to reach down to the ground. The only game she's gotten has been out in the open which is a rare thing.

She was on a rock and suddenly took off. I saw no movement until she did a wing-over. The bunny then realized it was busted and just barely got away.

Another was a chase of over 100 yards but the bunny made it to the rocks before she could catch it.

She's still got to learn the moves of her opponents. She's learning.
She did well yesterday. She came to the call and stayed close.

The picture below shows where we were hunting. That's my big girl wooking for dat waskel wabbit.

http://www.rhinehart.net/pictures/Sugarhunting.jpg

cbdfox
12-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Bill
sounds like your giving her opurtunity wich is half the game of falconry. she will figure it out in time.

i know how tuff it can be with lots of escape routes. where we hunt there is a lot of cover. the hawks have to learn to be fast or the bunnies make it to safety. fortunatly most of the time we can get a reflush. and thats when the hawks usually find success. up here with a RT hight is pivotal. without it the RTs just dont stand much of a chance of even spotting game.

some of the places we hunt have a lot of rocks and that can be a big disadvantage.

do you have a beagle? Richard and i both do. i wouldnt wish a beagle on someone who doesnt hunt. but the hawks learn that the bay means quarry. and that is a powerful tool. plus the beagle can tell you yes or no if there is a bunny present. that is helpful in checking out new locations.

threetoe
12-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Chris:

I have trained Waterdogs. Chocolate Labs.

According to Eric Dugan (My friend and also an Apprentice 1) the area I hunt is crawling (litterally) with Southern Red Diamondback Rattlesnakes in the spring. (He is a biologist and studys buzztails)

Nope...not hunting my dogs there. :eek:

Sugar's taken game, it's just that it's real tough and she's still learning the ropes.
I have time. She'll catch on.