PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Gypsy Hawkers

Chad L.
08-30-2011, 09:25 AM
There has been some discussion on the NAFA meet thread about camping for the 2011 meet in Vernal so i thought i would start a thread where people could post if they were planning on camping out again along with ideas for areas that might work if we wanted to all try and be in the same place.

I for one would be a fan for trying to camp out on some BLM if the only actual campgrounds don't have facilities (showers/restrooms) but thats just me.

If anyone else is planning on camping or has any good ideas on areas that would work post them up.

Lowachi
08-30-2011, 10:22 AM
banner still good, or do we need another??

Chad L.
08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
banner still good, or do we need another??

The banner is still good. If you would be open to it i thought i could send it back to you before the meet to have you change a zero into a one for 2011. Maybe it could be changed each year so that the big date on the front reflects the current year and a small date for previous years could be added some place. Just a thought.

Depending on how elk season goes i could pay you in steaks again.

Eragon
08-30-2011, 03:37 PM
I'll be camping again! Got a new tent I want to break in! haha

BLM would be a lot of fun, but there are some campgrounds in Vernal also. There's a KOA in town (http://www.dinokoa.com/). I can start looking at campgrounds and such.

idbirdman
08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Ryan, The KOA would be a great option. The only problem is that they close at the end of October. I called today. They even have some cabins for cheep. It suck that they will be closed. Stephen

outhawkn
08-30-2011, 04:19 PM
I have family and friends in Vernal, I'll email them tonight and see if they can come up with anything......

NMHighPlains
08-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Ryan, The KOA would be a great option. The only problem is that they close at the end of October. I called today. They even have some cabins for cheep. It suck that they will be closed. Stephen

The KOA would be great, esp if it's just us. I gotta have a shower, though. I don't like to sleep stinky. :D

Any chance they'd open it up for us?

DirtHawker
08-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Be prepared for the cold. I took my trailer last time it was in Vernal, and it got in to the high 20s a couple of nights. By the by, I ended up leaving the trailer to winter there, having crossed the Rockies to get there (Rabbit Ear Pass), could not do the white knucle back over. It gave me an excuse to pick it up next spring, and do a month long trip back home through canyon land. Some of the most spectacular hunting I have done... ah the long bunny flights you can see, unlike MI.

Sue

Chad L.
08-31-2011, 09:41 AM
The KOA would be great, esp if it's just us. I gotta have a shower, though. I don't like to sleep stinky. :D

Any chance they'd open it up for us?

I think it would be worth a shot to at least ask. Maybe if we were extra nice and explained that we would not need to have anyone (staff wise) there but just a place to put our tents and or campers? Like i said it's worth a shot.

I'll be camping again! Got a new tent I want to break in! haha
BLM would be a lot of fun, but there are some campgrounds in Vernal also. There's a KOA in town (http://www.dinokoa.com/). I can start looking at campgrounds and such.

That would be great if you could start looking around as well for a spot that would work, Ryan. Maybe you can find something with a taco stand around. ;)

Wherever we land it's already sounding like a lot of fun.

Eragon
09-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm gunna start scouting for campgrounds. I was wondering if anybody had a rough estimate of the number of people?

Or, if you're planning on camping, could you post on here or PM me and let me know.

I'd like to have a rough number of what to expect when I start calling around.

Eragon
09-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Ok, so I've been checking out campgrounds around Vernal. The choices are really limited, but there seems to be 4 decent options.

For everybody that's planing on camping, I'd like to know which option you'd prefer, so I can get a total number of people and start working out reserving a space for us.

Two choices are RV parks, that are probably pretty similar to last year.

This one is right in Vernal, and some reviews say its nice, and some say it's a little trashy. It has showers which is a good plus, but they're pay showers.

http://www.fossilvalleyrvpark.com/index.html

This one is on the highway at the South edge of vernal. I'm not sure how far it is from the meet hotel.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/210065-rv-campgrounds-in-vernal-utah/

The other two options don't have any amenities.

One is a state park about 13 miles North of town. This one is about half the price of the RV Parks.

http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/red-fleet

And the other option would be just meeting at the Meet Hotel, and going into the BLM to find a good place to set up camp. The big plus for this one would be that it's free.

rhall
09-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Hello folks, maybe I can help with this? I've lived here most of my life.

As mentioned the KOA will be closed. Fossil Park is a decent campground right in town. It is about a mile east of the meet hotel. Phone Number (435) 789-6450

The campground that was mentioned south of town is about a 1/2 mile from the meet hotel along Highway 40. Phone Number (435) 789-9676

There are two (2) State Parks north of town on Highway 191. They are Steinaker State Park and Red Fleet State Park. Steinaker is about 5 miles north of town and as mentioned Red Fleet is 13 miles or so.

There is also a campground in Jensen, Utah, about 12 miles East of town. This campround is called Outlaw Trail RV Park. It is along the Green River and access to BLM ground is less than 5 minutes away. Phone number is (435) 781-6000

Uintah County also developed a RV Park East of town out towards the Diamond Mountain Speedway. This area is about 6 or 7 miles East of town on the "Diamond Mountain Road" The phone number for Uintah County is (435) 781-0770 Step out the door, walk a couple hundred yards and you are on BLM ground.

BLM ground is close to town and there are many places you could camp within 15 to 20 minutes of town.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search!(welc)