PDA

View Full Version : Howdy, From AA county MD

Clthomps
08-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Hello, I just joined the forums and thought I would post a little info about me in my introduction.

I am 28 and have been interested in falconry since my parents brought me to a Raptor Sanctuary at the age of 8. Since then I have read everything I can about the subject but have never been in a position were preforming the apprenticeship and more importantly caring for a bird properly was responsible, Until now :D

With my recent move from a city lot in Frigid Upstate NY to a 2 acre plot in Odenton, MD and recent financial boon I am now in a position to start my journey 20 years in the making.

The Game Plan:
To begin I am re-reading my personal Library of books, then I plan on raiding the Library of congress and the national Archives (MAN I LOVE THIS AREA!!!). After that I am hoping to tag along with some local Falconers this season and make a couple contacts that could lead to an apprenticeship.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading

Tom Scheib
08-30-2011, 11:47 AM
I think spending some time in the apprentice forum will cover most of the bases. There are plenty of really decent falconers in MD.

Welcome and best wishes.

Clthomps
08-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks, I have been lurking there for a bit now ;)

Ken S.
08-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Welcome to Nafex...

Clthomps
08-30-2011, 04:06 PM
A fellow MD resident :)

If you don't mind me asking what city do you live in? I am always on the look out for local knowledge, and the first round is always on me ;)

hajinu
08-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the site and to Maryland.

hawkguy1
08-30-2011, 08:57 PM
(welc) have fun!

Red-tail71
08-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Welcome to Maryland Chris! I am on the Eastern Shore. PM me and we can maybe make some arrangements to meet. Take care and let the Journey begin!

Chesapeakehawk
08-31-2011, 04:39 AM
Welcome to Nafex and Maryland! I am from Anne Arundel County and it has a lot to offer. Crabbing and fishing on the water in the summer, hunting in the farmlands in the winter.
I don't have a bird this year since I am out of the country, but contact Mary Goldie at the DNR as soon as you can. She is very helpful!
Mary offers you the choice of taking the NY exam or the old federal exam, just so you know for studying purposes.

Good luck!

bellerophon
08-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Welcome to Maryland Chris! I am on the Eastern Shore. PM me and we can maybe make some arrangements to meet. Take care and let the Journey begin!

Ditto, I'm just south east of DC but will be looking for some mid-day hunting spots up near BWI this season.

Clthomps
08-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Nice to meet you all, I didn't know there were that many active Falconers in MD. Do you ever get together for cook outs and what not?

Ken S.
08-31-2011, 08:27 PM
I am in Cecil County MD, up by the PA line along the Susquehanna river. There are a bunch of active falconers in the state, but most tend to keep to themselves. There are some small gatherings and meets in the winter, and many of us also go to PA and VA for their meets. I go to the NAFA meet when I can.

Clthomps
12-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I have noticed most seem to keep to themselves, Could you elaborate on the small gatherings?

Would anyone mind if I tagged along on a hunt, or even just flying practice?

Thanks again,

Thomas913
12-02-2011, 04:59 PM
If you are interested and can make it, the PA meet is in January.

http://pfht.org/

Clthomps
12-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Great I will see if i can get off of work :)