PDA

View Full Version : Imature Goshawk , banded Found in Albuquerque NM Today

echotadog
09-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Anybody loose their Immature GosHawk in or Near Albuquerque NM ?

A friend of mine ( Non Falconer ) just contacted me and said his grandson and he found a Banded Gos this morning near their home , trying to find its owner... PM Me if think you may know who it belongs to and have the band # ready to get the contact info.....

Scott Carter
echotadog@hotmail.com

echotadog
09-18-2011, 01:32 PM
it has a silver band and a red band with white letters .....

frootdog
09-18-2011, 01:41 PM
it has a silver band and a red band with white letters .....

Sounds like a scientific band not a falconry band.

schwartze
09-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi Scott,

Is it a northern goshawk for certain?

Regards,

Steve

Saluqi
09-18-2011, 02:19 PM
There's an ongoing research study of Coops in Albuquerque, I'm guessing that's what he has. I'll make a call and find out.

echotadog
09-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Yes KL, he is indeed a research bird... Anyone aware of any current studies in that range? He has been reported to the banding and research dept of the USFWS out of Maryland .
He was found extremely aspirated on the side of a road in albequerque , unfortunately he did not make it . We are waiting for confirmation from the research dept to put a period at the end of this sad event ...

Thanks for the replies

echotadog
09-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks Paul , you were actually my target audience on this one , thanks for the help. I questioned their ID as well , without seeing pics I went on their guess of it being a Gos based on it's size ....

I was actually impressed they called me in the first place . Let ke know what you find out .
Thanks to all who replied

Scott

Saluqi
09-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Yes, it's one of the research birds, Scott can you PM your friends phone number? Brian Millsap banded and put telemetry on several Coops this summer and this is one of "his" birds, I'll pass your friends number to Brian. Thanks.