PDA

View Full Version : New Powermax double-beeping

keitht
09-22-2011, 07:08 AM
I've got a relatively new Powermax that double-beeps with fresh batteries. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

RyanVZ
09-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Put the battery in upside down first, then pop it out and put it back in the right way.

frootdog
09-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Take the battery out and turn the transmitter back on (yes really). It will beep a time or three before dying. Put battery back in and try it.

canadamanada
09-22-2011, 09:32 AM
As said above, the Powermax has a timer that acts as a backup to the voltage sensor.
You reset this timer by shorting out the contacts, flipping the battery over and setting it in place for 5 or 10 seconds.
Try that and let us know how you do.

Chris L.
09-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Great thread! I learned something new, I have never had it happen but if it does..

FredFogg
09-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Great thread! I learned something new.

Me too! clapp clapp

kitana
09-22-2011, 11:10 AM
My Micro is built the same way, but I was wondering if you had to screw the lid on when putting the battery upside down, or just put it there, wait 5-10 seconds and reverse it?

The battery is very hard to remove from the Micro, in fact I've had to cast the bird, remove the Micro from the Trackpack (which is very hard to do as well, for whatever reason), have someone else remove the battery (it's a hassle!!) while I held the bird, and put everything back into place... Not fun, compared to the Scout I have on my Harris Hawk.

RLBagley
09-22-2011, 02:23 PM
I've got a relatively new Powermax that double-beeps with fresh batteries. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Hello Keith-

The answers you've received so far from experienced users (above) are correct.

Here's how it's explained in the Owner's Manual that is sent out with each Transmitter, and is also found on the website, here. (http://marshallradio.com/images/stories/support/manuals/PowerMax.pdf)

There's a tiny bank of capacitors that retain a charge. It's one of the design elements that allows the transmitter to continue producing a strong signal even as the batteries discharge and get weaker.

Hopefully, that makes sense, as it's an important feature not found in designs from other manufacturers.

RB

frootdog
09-22-2011, 02:31 PM
My Micro is built the same way, but I was wondering if you had to screw the lid on when putting the battery upside down, or just put it there, wait 5-10 seconds and reverse it?

The battery is very hard to remove from the Micro, in fact I've had to cast the bird, remove the Micro from the Trackpack (which is very hard to do as well, for whatever reason), have someone else remove the battery (it's a hassle!!) while I held the bird, and put everything back into place... Not fun, compared to the Scout I have on my Harris Hawk.

Use your magnet to get the battery out of the micro.

kitana
09-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Use your magnet to get the battery out of the micro.

stupd frus) dohh

frootdog
09-22-2011, 02:40 PM
stupd frus) dohh:D

keitht
09-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Take the battery out and turn the transmitter back on (yes really). It will beep a time or three before dying. Put battery back in and try it.

I'll be danged. It worked.

I did not put the battery in backwards - just took it out - turned it on and put the battery back in.

Now my question is: Why did it do this when I put in my lasts fresh batteries? Do you have to go thru the same motion every time you change batteries? And if so, why is that in the manual? I don't remember it.

frootdog
09-22-2011, 09:58 PM

I did not put the battery in backwards - just took it out - turned it on and put the battery back in.

Now my question is: Why did it do this when I put in my lasts fresh batteries? Do you have to go thru the same motion every time you change batteries? And if so, why is that in the manual? I don't remember it.

If I recall correctly Marshall does rec you do that every time you change batteries.

bobpayne
09-22-2011, 09:58 PM

I had same thing happen with micros used in Washington. the transmiter starts double beep due to amount of charge left in battery, or apollo mode due to the length of time left on and the battery is changed out but there is enough of charge left in a resister in transmiter (SP} that the tansmiter will not reset itself until the transmier is drained of this small charge by grounding out by reversing the battery or grounding with knife or other metal object or draining charge by turning unit off. I went through a lot of batteries thinking they were bad b4 calling marshall

canadamanada
09-23-2011, 08:55 PM

Dude, it isssssss in the manual! Big honking pinkinsh square - highlighted - can't miss me - I'm oh so important so READ ME text.
Yes, do it everytime you change batteries and you'll have the safety that these features are meant to provide - letting you know when it REALLY is time to change your batteries. Just think of it as the reset button.

And to the other commenter, yes, the magnet is the best way to get the batteries out. I spent my 1st year with my Micro banging it against the corner of something to remove the battery until I discovered that the magnet will do the job. My 1st transmitter was that Micro, and I still have and use it daily, 5 seasons on.

keitht
09-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Dude, it isssssss in the manual! Big honking pinkinsh square - highlighted - can't miss me - I'm oh so important so READ ME tex

I probably read it - then forgot it. It's an age thing. A week from now I'll be back here asking how to get it to stop double-beeping again. Be nice to an old guy and answer it again like it was the first time I asked.

kitana
09-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks Justin for the confirmations.

I did not quite understand the thing about resetting: I know I can reset it by putting the battery backward, but this is what I don't understand:

Originally Posted by frootdog

How can I turn the transmitter on without the battery in it? By screwing on the lid, then using the magnet as usual?? I'm baffled.

frootdog
09-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks Justin for the confirmations.

I did not quite understand the thing about resetting: I know I can reset it by putting the battery backward, but this is what I don't understand:

Originally Posted by frootdog

How can I turn the transmitter on without the battery in it? By screwing on the lid, then using the magnet as usual?? I'm baffled.

Yes just turn it back on with the magnet

keitht
09-23-2011, 09:58 PM
You don't even have to screw the top back on. It will beep about 1 and 1/2 times and die. It then reset.

MourneMan
09-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Ooops better hold my hand up as well and admit that I to learned something new.

Malcolm

FredFogg
11-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Bump, for a friend!

the_falco
11-11-2011, 03:36 PM

Just touch the magnet to the batt, it will come right out.

rmayes100
11-11-2011, 09:19 PM
You can also just let your transmitter sit empty for 10 minutes or so. I generally just do this instead of dealing with putting the battery in backwards, unless you are in a big hurry. From Marshall's site:

"Also, the timer will automatically reset (remaining charge in the transmitter will dissipate to zero) if you remove the battery and let the transmitter just sit empty for 10 minutes."

Check out the Q & A section on the website for the PowerMax under "I put in a brand new battery, but it's still double-beeping.":

http://marshallradio.com/en/north-american-falconry-products/north-american-falconry-transmitters/item/124-powermax-transmitter