PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Anklet Material

davidfrank
09-26-2011, 07:29 AM
BioThane Coated Webbing – Synthetic Anklet Material http://www.westernsporting.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/HRFE5003.jpg

Q Material Size / Color: 2 feet of matte brown colored BioThane. See Size Chart Below

BioThane Coated Webbing:
-Coated surface, easy to clean, & hygienic
-Weather and abrasion resistant
-Professional, high-quality, finished appearance
-Low maintenance, saving time and money
-Has the high-quality “look” of leather with the long-lasting benefits of BioThane.

BioThane is a high-quality strapping material used for a variety of applications, including the medical industry. Falconry tests during the last 3 – 4 years show that the material holds up extremely well when worn by hawks and those wearing the test material have yet to need changing.

Follow the link below for more information

http://www.westernsporting.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1111&Product_Code=FE5003&Category_Code=A1

robruger1
09-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Looks too rigid to me. I prefer something with a bit more give to it.

FredFogg
09-26-2011, 08:31 AM

Rob, there is an article in the latest Hawk Chalk about this material and how someone has had it on several birds for 3 years with no problems so far. It isn't as rigid as you would think. I bought some but haven't tried it yet.

rkumetz
09-27-2011, 02:34 PM
I was told that Western is now shipping the Biothane

rkumetz
09-27-2011, 02:36 PM

It is not rigid however it doesn't get all warped and curly like leather. The soft outside coating also prevents the edges from damaging anything.

Keith Denman
09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
I got a phone call from the makers of the synthetic material yesterday and he was telling me that Western Sporting is their distributor and have several widths and lengths.

FredFogg
09-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Guys, I ordered some from Western on the 19th and got it on the 21st, so they have it and man, is that fast shipping or what.

davidfrank
09-27-2011, 06:05 PM
We have it in stock and plenty of it!

Thanks
David

Chris L.
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
We have it in stock and plenty of it!

Thanks
David

Thanks David! Your company always has great customer service!

I'm looking forward to getting mine

(I will clean the thread up with the posts about it being back ordered so there is no confusion)

ParabuteoJOC
09-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Tom and I are looking forward to giving biothane cuffs a try.

Sym
03-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Anybody have any updates in using biothane?? I am concerned about using biothane on RT as some tend to bate a lot.

rkumetz
03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Anybody have any updates in using biothane?? I am concerned about using biothane on RT as some tend to bate a lot.

Define "a lot". I was the first to try biothane and I find that it works just great on birds that are free lofted or leashed birds that only bate occasionally. I would not put it on a bird that continuously bates in a violent sort of manner while tied to a perch.

That being said, if "a lot" is relatively frequently I would be trying to figure out how to minimize the bating regardless of the anklet material.

rehabber
03-08-2013, 02:33 PM

Used it on a male imprint gos this year with no problem at all. Found it acted like leather anklets but without the stretch. Have heard the largest sizes for eagle anklets have had a problem but not had any that wide to test. Because it does not stretch you need to make the anklets the size you want and not slightly tighter expecting the stretch.
I have three widths available if anyone wants to try it.
12mm, 15mm and 18mm.
I am happy to send you enough for a couple of pairs of anklets as long as you pay the postage.
Remember I am in the UK.
pm me

rehabber
03-08-2013, 04:14 PM
If I can get a few want it in the USA, I could send it to one address to save costs and then the person could forward it on.
I am not selling this just trying to help out.

rkumetz
03-08-2013, 04:21 PM
If I can get a few want it in the USA, I could send it to one address to save costs and then the person could forward it on.
I am not selling this just trying to help out.

George, They can buy 2' of Biothane here in the US for $4.95 US so you may end up spending as much to ship it as it would cost to purchase some here.
Very nice of you to offer........

Sym
03-08-2013, 04:44 PM
thanks for the offer rehabber. I was thinking of moving wider anklet.. so I was considering ordering the 1.5". any thoughts on the wider; as it relates to biothane?

Ross.Spafford
03-08-2013, 05:00 PM
I've tried using the biothane beta, which is thicker and softer. Been using it on my male harris since the beginning of the season with no problems and no signs of wear.

Sym
03-08-2013, 05:03 PM
I've tried using the biothane beta, which is thicker and softer. Been using it on my male harris since the beginning of the season with no problems and no signs of wear.

I assume that "beta" is a different specification. where did you get it and what width do you use?

rehabber
03-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Just an offer to help. A lot more expensive to get in the UK.

Perhaps you could send me some 25mm and 37mm?

rehabber
03-08-2013, 05:05 PM

Any details as I would love to try it?

JRedig
03-08-2013, 05:08 PM
thanks for the offer rehabber. I was thinking of moving wider anklet.. so I was considering ordering the 1.5". any thoughts on the wider; as it relates to biothane?

Wider biothane is MUCH stiffer, I would not recommend anything wider than the 3/4inch on a redtail.

Isn't your bird a small male anyway? We used the 3/4 in my apprentices bird this year, she was trapped at 1515 grams with no gear...

Sym
03-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Isn't your bird a small male anyway?

yes he is a small spunky male.. I was thinking wider is better but that's why I asked.

rkumetz
03-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I assume that "beta" is a different specification. where did you get it and what width do you use?

Biothane has many different levels of "sponginess" and texture. When I picked the ones that are commonly available (Western Sporting, etc) I kept in mind that the softer material is also less "slippery" so it doesn't slide over scales as easily. If you use a softer wider anklet I heartily suggest making it a bit looser than you would with the "normal" biothane. Also keep in mind that a biothane anklet will never stretch so size it like a reasonably broken in leather anklet to
allow it to freely swivel and travel up and down the leg.

Be careful about besieging Bio Plastics with requests for a few feet of material. They were very unhappy when my HC article first came out and they were getting dozens of calls. They are not a retail establishment and are not set up to sell a few feet at a time. A 1000' foot spool is a bit pricey.

Paul Mascuch
03-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Question to the people who are currently using the Biothane. Do you still place small cuts along the upper and lower edges of the cuff so that it flares out at the top and bottom like you do with leather? If not, why not?

Thanks,

Paul

JRedig
03-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Question to the people who are currently using the Biothane. Do you still place small cuts along the upper and lower edges of the cuff so that it flares out at the top and bottom like you do with leather? If not, why not?

Thanks,

Paul

I haven't, the material is tapered/rounded at the edges already. Given the nature of the material, cuts/slits in it would result in many points/sharper edges/rougher and could cause more damage, IMO.

I don't know that slits in leather is really necessary either, i've skipped that and never had any dire results, but maybe i was just lucky? I keep my gear well oiled.

rehabber
03-08-2013, 06:02 PM

Thanks,

Paul

I did Paul and they did splay out as they went on like leather does.

rkumetz
03-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks,
Paul

Don't cut it. It won't really roll (at least not for a long time) and the material is rounded on the edge so there is no real benefit to doing so. To be honest I don't do it with leather either and have never had any scale problems that way either.

bellerophon
09-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Here's my first set of biothane anklets for this season. I used the forming kit supplied by western sporting and I am very pleased with what I received. I primarily squirrel hawk so I added studs and lined the interior with leather as I typically do

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/9808818594_4bda73a43a_c.jpg

goshawkr
09-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Here's my first set of biothane anklets for this season. I used the forming kit supplied by western sporting and I am very pleased with what I received. I primarily squirrel hawk so I added studs and lined the interior with leather as I typically do

Very nice!

REYNALDO
09-19-2013, 07:27 AM
will this work for smaller birds...AK ?

bellerophon
09-19-2013, 07:53 AM
will this work for smaller birds...AK ?

western sportings site says

Each kit includes a set of 8 aluminum rods that are comparable to the sizes of anklets worn by many species of raptors. These aluminum rods range in diameter from 1/4" up to 11/16."

I've never flown a micro so I'm not sure if 1/4" diameter is small enough for them

REYNALDO
09-19-2013, 08:55 AM
I would think so. what I use for my anklets for my ak is a bic pen. this will give me an inside diameter of 0.319" this gives the anklet a lot of play on my birds legs. I'm not sure what that is in fraction. I would like to try this material for an ak.
anyone here used them before for micro birds?

REYNALDO
09-19-2013, 08:58 AM
great job with your anklets Lee!

Steve Skinner
09-19-2013, 02:20 PM

Hi, how did you attach the leather linings.

bellerophon
09-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks Geoff / Rey!

After doing some research I found that flexible outdoor contact adhesive (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/6/31/cntct_usns/overview/Loctite-Stikn-Seal-Extreme-Conditions.htm) would do the trick.

FredFogg
09-19-2013, 02:51 PM

Lee, just thinking out loud here but did you consider using a wider piece of biothane for the inside piece instead of leather? I haven't made a pair yet but I have 3/4, 5/8, and 1/2 inch size biothane. I was thinking the whole reason to use biothane was it wouldn't wear out where the leather on the inside would wear out way before the biothane and you would have to replace it probably after a season. I know you fringed it at the top and bottom but my understanding is you don't have to fringe the biothane. Again, just thinking out loud because I have no experience with biothane yet.

REYNALDO
09-19-2013, 03:01 PM
thanks Lee for the tip :)

bellerophon
09-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Lee, just thinking out loud here but did you consider using a wider piece of biothane for the inside piece instead of leather? I haven't made a pair yet but I have 3/4, 5/8, and 1/2 inch size biothane. I was thinking the whole reason to use biothane was it wouldn't wear out where the leather on the inside would wear out way before the biothane and you would have to replace it probably after a season. I know you fringed it at the top and bottom but my understanding is you don't have to fringe the biothane. Again, just thinking out loud because I have no experience with biothane yet.

I used the 1" biothane since it was closest to what I was taught to use and i would think spreads any forces over a larger area. I actually prefer to keep the leather inner for now. Since they're removable anklets and don't need to be destroyed to remove them, I can still pop them off during any downtime to recondition or peel/replace the leather pad and make sure there's no leg problems being hidden from view. I would also argue the leather molds better to any abnormalities and helps relieve pressure spots. I didn't worry about that as much with all leather anklets sine I knew they would stretch a bit.

As a side note I am toying with the idea of biothane jesses. Those I'm sick of stretching out over time.

Steve Skinner
09-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks Geoff / Rey!

After doing some research I found that flexible outdoor contact adhesive (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/6/31/cntct_usns/overview/Loctite-Stikn-Seal-Extreme-Conditions.htm) would do the trick.

Cheers Lee.

wesleyc6
09-20-2013, 06:01 AM
I have it on a male hh now for two years. Last year I tethered him as I dropped weight and instant scale problems. This year same thing. Otherwise I love it.

goshawkr
09-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks Geoff / Rey!

Several years before Biothane came on the market, Steve Layman experimented with making braided ankelts. I tried it a bit myself. Before we discovered a round braided spectra that worked, we both glued leather to the inside of the braided anklets. I used these leather lined braided anklets for 7 years or so.

What I found is that it does not take much adhesive strength to hold the leather in place. Actually, I found hot glue worked well enough even with the very weak adhesive bond that it provides.

In Lee's anklets, the Biothane will provide all the structural strength to the anklet, the leather is just padding and to keep the metal bits from the sparklies that are on the inside edge of the anklet from causing trouble with the leg. So there is very little stress on the leather to begin with.

goshawkr
09-20-2013, 11:39 AM
I used the 1" biothane since it was closest to what I was taught to use and i would think spreads any forces over a larger area. I actually prefer to keep the leather inner for now. Since they're removable anklets and don't need to be destroyed to remove them, I can still pop them off during any downtime to recondition or peel/replace the leather pad and make sure there's no leg problems being hidden from view. I would also argue the leather molds better to any abnormalities and helps relieve pressure spots. I didn't worry about that as much with all leather anklets sine I knew they would stretch a bit.

As a side note I am toying with the idea of biothane jesses. Those I'm sick of stretching out over time.

I would expect you will find the leather lasts a VERY long time. It is really doing nothing more than padding your anklet, and that puts very minimal strain on the leather.

I live 3 miles away from a bonifide rainforest. As famous as Seattle is for constant rain, I get a lot more at my house.

I used leather lined braided anklets and the leather lasted as long as I used the anklets. I didn't actually replace the leather, or replace worn out anklets - I switched to another design that I liked better after 4 years of use. Those anklets are still fully functional, and sitting in a box in case they are needed.

talonslair
09-21-2013, 03:39 PM

althou it's supple in flat form once you fold it on its self to make anklets unlike leather it Does not compress ,bend or fold easily(try standing on the end of a cardboard tube) it leaves although radiused a hard edge and the risk of contact sores forming

I wont be using it regardless of the temperature , well greased / oiled leather is the safest method

Tyme2fly
09-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Got it and love em!! Thanks western sporting. My wife's RT and mine both are sporting em. We picked up the forming kit too it makes so easy to fit them to the bird !!!!

rkumetz
09-30-2013, 08:04 PM
althou it's supple in flat form once you fold it on its self to make anklets unlike leather it Does not compress ,bend or fold easily(try standing on the end of a cardboard tube) it leaves although radiused a hard edge and the risk of contact sores forming

I wont be using it regardless of the temperature , well greased / oiled leather is the safest method

What other methods have you tried that didn't work out?

ParabuteoJOC
10-06-2013, 09:11 AM
In our book we had recommended using biothane for the Y-swivel hook-up. We had only used it on a few Harris's Hawks at that time. When I jessed out my female, Ramona, this season, she tore threw it in a matter of seconds. It was O.K. because our weathering yard is enclosed, but I was pretty surprised. She's not normally the type to pick either. So perhaps only the thick, heavy-duty biothane should be used for this application, at least for females.

rkumetz
10-06-2013, 10:53 AM
A bird able to take apart a Biothane anklet is a first but clearly all birds are individuals and nothing works in every situation. That being said, I recommend trying ANY new tethering equipment in a controlled situation (indoors, etc) before you park your prized bird out on the lawn and go inside for a beer.

For those who are looking for super heavy duty thickness Biothane for "problem birds" you can just grab a dog collar from a pet store made of the same material as the Marshall tracking collars. Unfortunately the thicker material is much less flexible so you really would need to "heat form" it around something to avoid having it be very large to make the bend around the leg.
I am not sure if Marshall or their dealers sell replacement collars which might be a convenient source.

ParabuteoJOC
10-12-2013, 07:59 PM
My male Harris's Hawk, Hannibal, ate the entire biothane strap off of his Y-swivel hook-up yesterday morning. I hope he is going to cast it up tonight...waiting anxiously. I gave him some tiring (a lot of rat skin) and a lot of water. He is digesting normally...

We have tethered 8 Harris's Hawks out this season with biothane for the "short leash" portion of the Y-swivel hook-up and two of them have eaten right through it (1 male, 1 female). While biothane probably does have its uses in falconry, we are not recommending it for tethering Harris's Hawks.

ParabuteoJOC
10-12-2013, 08:00 PM
And I also meant to say that I do realize the title of this thread is "Synthetic Anklet Material." We were trying to use the biothane for applications it was not recommended for.