PDA

View Full Version : Scout double-beeping (IQ related problem)

redbird1
09-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Just got three new Scouts (thanks to all who gave advice - pros & cons) and a new Tracker Maxima Complete. I was playing with a couple of them, turning them off & on with my new transmitter tester from Marshall, programming the receiver. Ran into a problem with one of the Scouts, though. Darn thing would NOT turn off with the mag switch. Worse than that the circuitry seemed all screwed up - every time I touched the mag switch the darn thing would go back & forth from double-beeping to single-beeping on the transmitter tester without turning off.

Finally figured out my problem (it was a "circuitry" issue after all). So here's the challenge: any of you geniuses able tofigure out what my problem was? First to answer correctly gets an "Attaboy!":D

kitana
09-30-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't know but I would very much like to know, cause my Scout who worked faithfully for 4 seasons has started acting funny this year, basically doing what yours is doing... Double beeping with a new battery even when I resetted it, being very very hard to turn off with the magnet and medium hard to turn on, etc... If it's something I could fix without returning it to Marshall I'd be glad...

redbird1
09-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Sorry, Kitana - can't help you. But stay tuned, I bet someone will figure out what my problem was in short order (the answer) might save you from troubles in the future!

robhawkyyz
09-30-2011, 10:41 PM
battery in backwards?

redbird1
10-01-2011, 08:16 AM
It was user error - so dumb, it made me laugh at myself. I had turned on the two transmitters, one at a time, checked them with the receiver, programmed them in, then began to turn them off (or so i thought) with my Marshall signal tester/mag switch. When i got to the second transmitter, it APPEARED to be malfunctioning (switching between single-beep/double-beep) because i had not held the magnet on the first transmitter long enough to turn it off. So, the first transmitter (4 ft. Away) was still beeping. Since the signal tester functions as a mini-receiver and picks up/reads all bands, it was continuously reading the single-beep from the first transmitter. So, when I tapped the seconnd transmitter "on" i got a false double-beep from the combined signals of the two transmitters. When I tapped it "off", I still got a false single beep from the other transmitter (which I did not realize was still turned on, LOL).

Morals of the story?
1. Slow down; think dummy!
2. When using multiple transmitters in the same proximity, use the receiver (not just the signal tester) to verify each transmitter.

Thought I'd share my "Duh!" moment so y'all could cuckle at the telemetry rookie.