PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Idaho

Drako
10-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Hello to all. My names Jeff. I've been living in beautiful southern Idaho for 25 years. Been in the Boise area for 6 years of that. It's been rumored there's a strong falconers presence here. I'm hoping to find out. I've been an armchair enthusiast of falconry ever since setting foot here. Life changes have prevented me from diving in with both feet and now that the wife and I are "empty nesters" she would much rather I be out doing something I've always wanted to do than sitting home and getting under her skin. In the meantime I've got my nose in the books, testing the waters, and hoping to get to know some of the local falconers from around here.

Yeomanfalconer
10-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Hello to all. My names Jeff. I've been living in beautiful southern Idaho for 25 years. Been in the Boise area for 6 years of that. It's been rumored there's a strong falconers presence here. I'm hoping to find out. I've been an armchair enthusiast of falconry ever since setting foot here. Life changes have prevented me from diving in with both feet and now that the wife and I are "empty nesters" she would much rather I be out doing something I've always wanted to do than sitting home and getting under her skin. In the meantime I've got my nose in the books, testing the waters, and hoping to get to know some of the local falconers from around here.
Jeff, This is a tough nut to crack, here in Boise, don't be discourouged, keep coming to meets (such as they are)Good folks in Boise but we are a bit shell shocked and quiet.

Drako
10-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Jeff, This is a tough nut to crack, here in Boise, don't be discourouged, keep coming to meets (such as they are)Good folks in Boise but we are a bit shell shocked and quiet.

I never thought for a second it would be easy. I went through a similar thing while training and trialing dogs in Schutzhund. A very close knit group of individuals who who opted to fly under the radar due to the perception people have of what they do and frowned upon non-traditional breeds within their ranks. Persistence and a fair chance has gained me friends for life. I'm not looking for a sponsor, I have far too much work ahead of me before that time comes. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

oldguy
10-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Hi Jeff and welcome.

I'm about 160 mi. up the Snake from you in Burley. I was a 15 yr old with an illegal kestrel in '71. Had her that summer and turned her loose. Did some unlicenced re-hab work for local F&G officers, but let life get in the way.

Thirty some years later. I am one of Idaho's oldest apprentices.

Falconry is challenging to attain, but certainly not impossible. You're in a falconry friendly state relatively, and Boise has its share of falconers.

Look into joining IFA. Contact ID F&G office and ask for falconry packet. Facebook and this site is full of Idaho falconers.

Good luck, and again, welcome. Dan

Drako
10-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Hello Dan, I lived and worked in Burley for the better part of 15 years. I know the area well. Thanks for the warm welcome!!

BigJerHoods
10-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Welcome Jeff! Idaho has some great falconers to get to know. Good luck!