PDA

View Full Version : The book: High flying Gyrfalcons

Ricko
10-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Just released on Western Sporting and just ordered!

Dakota
10-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Been waiting for this book! Got mine..thanks!

canvibe
10-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Should be a good book, one I'll be adding to my collection.

sharptail
10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Who is the author?

Tom Smith
10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Vic Hardaswick & (The late) Kent Christopher. It says "two cleaver falconers" in the discription.

frootdog
10-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Vic Hardaswick & (The late) Kent Christopher. It says "two cleaver falconers" in the discription.

Meat cleavers?
toungeout

Tom Smith
10-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Meat cleavers?
toungeout

That is what I was thinking, exactly.

oscarpack@yahoo.com
10-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Maybe Theodore and Wally?

AK Rev
10-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Cool. I've been waiting for a copy. I thought this book also covered hybrids but I guess not directly?

"High Flying Gyrfalcons: The Guided Development Program may seem like it is about flying Gyrfalcons in a grand style, and it is, but it contains a great deal about flying longwings of any description. It teaches us about our relationship with our hawks and how to guide them to their full potential. This book was 20 years in the making and a great deal was learned and compiled during that time by very cleaver falconers.

If, as commonly opined in the 19th and first half of the 20th Centuries, the art of successfully flying the Gyrfalcon is lost, Vic Hardaswick and the late Kent Christopher have gone a long way in finding it for us once more. Aided by the products of modern captive breeding, radio telemetry, and contemporary pharmacology, these two have produced an invaluable work. The results of taking their theories into the field make for high-flying falcons and spectacular falconry. Yet one need not aspire to towering flights at sage grouse over windswept western plains to find great usefulness in this volume because the detailed description of imprinting alone makes the book a must. More than simply needing a place on every falconer’s bookshelf, this work deserves time and study. Its attributes will raise the standards of the practice of our sport.

S. Kent Carnie"

Ricko
10-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Cool. I've been waiting for a copy. I thought this book also covered hybrids but I guess not directly?

"High Flying Gyrfalcons: The Guided Development Program may seem like it is about flying Gyrfalcons in a grand style, and it is, but it contains a great deal about flying longwings of any description. It teaches us about our relationship with our hawks and how to guide them to their full potential. This book was 20 years in the making and a great deal was learned and compiled during that time by very cleaver falconers.

If, as commonly opined in the 19th and first half of the 20th Centuries, the art of successfully flying the Gyrfalcon is lost, Vic Hardaswick and the late Kent Christopher have gone a long way in finding it for us once more. Aided by the products of modern captive breeding, radio telemetry, and contemporary pharmacology, these two have produced an invaluable work. The results of taking their theories into the field make for high-flying falcons and spectacular falconry. Yet one need not aspire to towering flights at sage grouse over windswept western plains to find great usefulness in this volume because the detailed description of imprinting alone makes the book a must. More than simply needing a place on every falconer’s bookshelf, this work deserves time and study. Its attributes will raise the standards of the practice of our sport.

S. Kent Carnie"

Thanks so much for posting this. Ive been told that this book does address some of the hybrid issues (with Gyrs). Undoubtedly an invaluable source!

nebli
10-07-2011, 04:15 AM
where and how can I order it from it ?
thanks
juan

Dakota
10-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Got mine on Western Sporting.

Ricko
10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Just recieved my copy of this book, the quality is just incredible. Very well put together. Now...its time to start reading

Tom Smith
10-11-2011, 04:50 PM
where and how can I order it from it ?
thanks
juan

http://www.westernsporting.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FB

STait
10-12-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm going to get a copy soon, How does the table of contents look? I've been looking forward to this book.

Ricko
10-12-2011, 07:50 AM
I will just say this: the book is a must for those looking to imprint a gyrfalcon.

coopershawk
10-12-2011, 09:04 AM
I may never get to fly a gyr, but Im going to get a copy because I am fascinated with those birds. Are there a bunch of good pics in there as well? Its about time a book devoted to the training and flying of gyrs gets published..

Ricko
10-12-2011, 10:34 AM
I may never get to fly a gyr, but Im going to get a copy because I am fascinated with those birds. Are there a bunch of good pics in there as well? Its about time a book devoted to the training and flying of gyrs gets published..

There are some fantastic pictures in this book which I was very happy to see. This is a must have for people who have misconceptions about Gyrfalcons only being a "bump-chase" type of bird.

Tanner
10-12-2011, 10:27 PM
I am three chapters into this book and find little within the discussion of imprint gyr development which does not apply equally well to imprints of any species. The concepts in raw form are very similar those outlined in other venues such as Bruce Haak's "Hunting Falcon" and many of the Journal articles of the 80's - 90s era (Charles Schwartz' "raising imprint merlins" is a good example), but the discussion is extremely well presented and very well developed. They include all the nuances that make that approach worth doing. It's a refreshing contemplation of the benefits of fully developed imprints - an approach that seems to have taken a back seat to chamber birds and balloons. Excellent book so far!

AK Rev
10-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the review Tanner. I want to get it.