PDA

View Full Version : Disguising your face

Hawkingcolorado
10-07-2011, 09:35 AM
I wonder if when getting any new bird, whether trapped passage, or picking up a chamber raised bird, you would lessen the "bad impression" it had of you by disguising yourself, when you first cast the bird, and jesse it up......confusedd

Saluqi
10-07-2011, 09:41 AM
In Ken Riddle's recent book he advocates doing this, both covering the hands and face. Steve Layman also has been doing this for a while, both when taking a bird off the trap and when pulling them from a nest. Seems like a small precaution to take to avoid the initial trauma of human contact.

kitana
10-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Funny that you ask, I've just finished reading Layman's article passager to imprint and I like the way he deals with passage birds, hiding himself at all time either by using cloths or the hood... Makes me think seriously about using this method for my future accipiter instead of taking the risk of creating a bad imprint...

Hawkingcolorado
10-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Funny that you ask, I've just finished reading Layman's article passager to imprint and I like the way he deals with passage birds, hiding himself at all time either by using cloths or the hood... Makes me think seriously about using this method for my future accipiter instead of taking the risk of creating a bad imprint...
I too just read that article...I'm picking up a new MHH tomorrow at the airport. I will give it a shot..I'll have to remember to NOT have a ski mask on when I drive into the airport:eek:

outhawkn
10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Personally, I dont believe it would make any difference at all.....:D

JRedig
10-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I absolutely believe in hiding yourself, it does make a difference and makes all the initial processes much easier. Such a simple thing to do, why wouldn't you avoid any potential negatives of you/your face or your hand?

outhawkn
10-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I absolutely believe in hiding yourself, it does make a difference and makes all the initial processes much easier. Such a simple thing to do, why wouldn't you avoid any potential negatives of you/your face or your hand?

Hi Jeff

In what way does it make a difference?

JRedig
10-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi Jeff

Hey Bill, it works on quite a few levels, IMO.

If the bird does not have a big negative experience with you and handling it initially (think the classic freshly trapped redtail pose), you have that much less to overcome in manning. The bird will not have to be reduced as much in weight, if at all and will trust you much sooner.

That keeps the bird in better health and can help fend off things like asper taking hold. Why take them through the process of losing conditioning etc if you don't have too?

If the first time the bird see's you and your hand, there is food and a quiet dimly lit room, what association does that establish from the beginning? A positive one. Why create more work for yourself? Sure they can have short term memories and forget all that stuff, i'd just rather avoid it and make progress sooner.

Lowachi
10-07-2011, 11:39 AM

If the bird does not have a big negative experience with you and handling it initially (think the classic freshly trapped redtail pose), you have that much less to overcome in manning. The bird will not have to be reduced as much in weight, if at all and will trust you much sooner.

That keeps the bird in better health and can help fend off things like asper taking hold. Why take them through the process of losing conditioning etc if you don't have too?

If the first time the bird see's you and your hand, there is food and a quiet dimly lit room, what association does that establish from the beginning? A positive one. Why create more work for yourself? Sure they can have short term memories and forget all that stuff, i'd just rather avoid it and make progress sooner.

Pretty much what I was told in Colorado when I picked up my first peregrine from Sam Dollar. I believe in it.

bobpayne
10-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I wonder if when getting any new bird, whether trapped passage, or picking up a chamber raised bird, you would lessen the "bad impression" it had of you by disguising yourself, when you first cast the bird, and jesse it up......confusedd
I try to hide my face whenever possible, when negitive stuff is going down. Don't talk either if I can get away with it.

I equate it to knowing who slapped me down and had his way with me and wondering what that blob thing is that took me down........not that I have not overcome the trapping experinces for yrs, b4 I decided to do so.

covering yourself is better, my two cents.

Saluqi
10-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi Jeff

I can tell you the theory behind it, or at least my hackneyed version. It's based on "trauma learning", which is basically anything that is learned while in a trauma state is very difficult to unlearn. So if you trap a bird on a BC let's say, and you go running up to the bird and it flips on its back, feet out front, hackles up, hissing the bird is in a trauma state. If the first thing it sees are my big old hands grasping for for it, and my big old ugly head leaning over it, and staring at it with my big eyes (often thought of as an act of aggression in the animal world), then there is a good chance that the bird will learn automatically to fear hands, people in general, and me specifically. Now imagine approaching the bird while holding a big beach towel in front of you and placing it over the bird so it never gets to see you, you've more or less eliminated the people from the equation in the trauma learning sequence. In my experience the less trauma inflicted on a bird, the more steady and less fear that bird will show in the future. I'm still amazed that more people don't keep freshly trapped birds hooded until well after they are eating on the fist, I know the total immersion approach works with redtails and most other birds, but using the slow "bringing into the light" approach makes for a steadier bird in the long term.

goshawkr
10-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I too just read that article...I'm picking up a new MHH tomorrow at the airport. I will give it a shot..I'll have to remember to NOT have a ski mask on when I drive into the airport:eek:

Layman goes to extremes at avoiding fear with all hawks now.

I think this is a bit nuts, because there is definately a point of diminishing returns. I think a CB Harris' is a good example of diminishing returns. They come around so quickly, and tame so thoroughly with more traditional methods that I think taking the extreme fear avoidance route is overkill.

But it does make a difference, even with them.

And its not my time that will be spent on the endevour. :D

Avoiding as much negative association as possible is a great goal. But I temper that, at times, by doing a little mental calculation:
(how much fear/trauma will be involved) + (how difficult to overcome because of the nature of the hawk) / (how much of a PIA it will be to avoid/reduce the trauma) = my course of action.

Steve's current practice is to avoid all fear always with all hawks if possible. That is not a bad thing, just more effort than I want to saddle myself with.

outhawkn
10-07-2011, 12:07 PM

I can tell you the theory behind it, or at least my hackneyed version. It's based on "trauma learning", which is basically anything that is learned while in a trauma state is very difficult to unlearn. So if you trap a bird on a BC let's say, and you go running up to the bird and it flips on its back, feet out front, hackles up, hissing the bird is in a trauma state. If the first thing it sees are my big old hands grasping for for it, and my big old ugly head leaning over it, and staring at it with my big eyes (often thought of as an act of aggression in the animal world), then there is a good chance that the bird will learn automatically to fear hands, people in general, and me specifically. Now imagine approaching the bird while holding a big beach towel in front of you and placing it over the bird so it never gets to see you, you've more or less eliminated the people from the equation in the trauma learning sequence. In my experience the less trauma inflicted on a bird, the more steady and less fear that bird will show in the future. I'm still amazed that more people don't keep freshly trapped birds hooded until well after they are eating on the fist, I know the total immersion approach works with redtails and most other birds, but using the slow "bringing into the light" approach makes for a steadier bird in the long term.

Ok, that makes sense, thank you.

I'll have to give that some thought.....:D

goshawkr
10-07-2011, 12:08 PM
I can tell you the theory behind it, or at least my hackneyed version. It's based on "trauma learning", which is basically anything that is learned while in a trauma state is very difficult to unlearn. So if you trap a bird on a BC let's say, and you go running up to the bird and it flips on its back, feet out front, hackles up, hissing the bird is in a trauma state. If the first thing it sees are my big old hands grasping for for it, and my big old ugly head leaning over it, and staring at it with my big eyes (often thought of as an act of aggression in the animal world), then there is a good chance that the bird will learn automatically to fear hands, people in general, and me specifically. Now imagine approaching the bird while holding a big beach towel in front of you and placing it over the bird so it never gets to see you, you've more or less eliminated the people from the equation in the trauma learning sequence.

But how then will you ever be able to take your hawk for a day on the beach? It will have a horrible fear of beach towels after that experience.

Saluqi
10-07-2011, 12:12 PM
But how then will you ever be able to take your hawk for a day on the beach? It will have a horrible fear of beach towels after that experience.

C'mon Geoff, I live in the desert/plains the beach is only a memory from my youth....:D

Bird_Dog
10-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Here are links to research by Dr. Marzluff of University if Washington. He studies long-term face recognition in Crows. (the so-called friend or foe study done in downtown Seattle) It seems to have relevance to the current discussion. http://www.cfr.washington.edu/spotlight.shtml http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/science/26crow.html?_r=2

something to think about

-- Scott

goshawkr
10-07-2011, 12:30 PM
C'mon Geoff, I live in the desert/plains the beach is only a memory from my youth....:D

I actually have a friend who had a very good recipie(ish) goshawk that he wasnt able to hood. When he needed to cast her, he would just grab her in a towel and do what needed to be done. I was quite surprised that he was able to get away with that, but he said she never associated the fear with him. She absolutely hated towels though, and would frequently attack them. It was amusing to watch how closely she watched towels as they moved through the room.

The main reason for being so cautious with "trauma learning" is that its very difficult to control the assocition.

In conversations, layman likes to draw the analogy of food associatied sickness. Its not completely acurate but its close. Ever notice how when you get very sick and vomit that you'll frequently develop an aversion afterwards? Notice how its not always related? I had very bad stomache flue as a kid and was eating pecans (lots of em) because it was the only thing that I could get myself to eat. After violontly vomiting them back up, it was almost over 10 years before I could eat any nuts, and 20 before I could eat pecans. But yet the nuts were not what make me sick.

Its very unpredictable when trauma learning will occur. Two people (or birds) can go through the exact same terrifiying experience, and one may may have no fears develop and the other may develop some deep seated fears associated with the event.

The Rock
10-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Fear/Associating is what you should try to avoided and any method that works is a good one. Long term reaction from fear is the grim reaper for Gyrfalcons and Goshawks. There are so many ways to train birds with out going down the road of just causing mental and physical trauma. You do not have to starve them into submission either. Slow weight reduction combined with cycling the weight and exposure to positive progression in the basics of training will pay dividends later in the field.

Each bird is an individual and can progress at different positive levels. Usually you can quickly get a read on the birds willingness to move forward and at what speed.

jal4470
10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
I just finished reading the article and it sounds very similar to what al the old books recomend when getting a new passage.

step 1, get it to eat well through the hood

2, when it is eating well, slip teh hood off and then back on and let the bird finish eating. each time you do this your goal is for the bird to see you then go back to eating.

soon you pick up the hooded bird, unhood her with some food on the glove and go about your buisness. I think that as he says in the article there is a long history of behaving this way towards our birds, just the words we use and some of the goals are new.

andy hall
10-07-2011, 01:27 PM
While I haven't purposefully disguised myself while trapping and casting to initially put on equipment, I have usually been wearing stocking or baseball caps, sunglasses and coats when doing so, and usually am not when I start manning/training.

But I do try to reduce stress as much as possible with a look at the return on time put in. I use a systematic desensitization strategy for my initial manning, which is basically on the opposite end of an intrusiveness continuum from wake manning. I only enter the mew for a few second each time, several times a day the first day or two until the bird is eating. Then I toss small food each time I come into view and the bird remains calm (there is really a lot more to it than this). Usually by day 7 or so the bird is coming to me, and they have always weighed more than the trapping weight, and I have really only spent a couple of hours at most with the bird and almost every time they were highly reinforced.

This greatly reduces the stress of the bird. I know of some training golden eagles that have greatly reduced the rate of Asper with this method vs. more hands on manning.

I think you were asking about just the initial casting and bad stuff when you first get a bird, but as far as casting the bird once trained and working, I firmly believe in being the one to do the bad thing. I want to keep the overall stress as low as possible and I have seen that my birds are much calmer and recover much faster when I hold them or at least initially restrain them. Their overall stress is lower and I don't rob too much trust from them, AS LONG AS I have built up lots of trust to begin with. If it is something that has to be done regularly, then I will really work on training aspects of the process to give them reinforcers for doing it. My first redtail would let me trickle meds in her mouth from a syringe while sitting on her perch.

I may have to look at disguising myself more in the trapping part of getting a bird now and see if that can make a difference.

Andy

outhawkn
10-07-2011, 01:58 PM
I just finished reading the article and it sounds very similar to what al the old books recomend when getting a new passage.

step 1, get it to eat well through the hood

2, when it is eating well, slip teh hood off and then back on and let the bird finish eating. each time you do this your goal is for the bird to see you then go back to eating.

soon you pick up the hooded bird, unhood her with some food on the glove and go about your buisness. I think that as he says in the article there is a long history of behaving this way towards our birds, just the words we use and some of the goals are new.

Ya, I'm of the opinion that modern falconry hasnt done a lot to improve upon what Michell and Stevens wrote about. The language has changed perhaps and maybe the "why" it works is better. Excluding imprints....:D

kitana
10-07-2011, 02:02 PM
If you are interested in the theory and applications of trauma learning, both in humans and animals, the best book I ever read about the subject was Animals in translation, by Dre Temple Grandin. She is a renowned behaviorist, autistic, and what she writes is breathtaking and eye-opening.

The way I explain the associations made with trauma learning is like this: a woman who was raped at dusk in a backalley, developed a phobia of green metallic trash containers. She could go nowhee near one of these, and it was very hard for her because she would start to shake and sweat and feel ill if forced to do so. Unconsciously, the brain while experimenting an extreme fear takes mental pictures of everything it perceives, and weirdly associates them together. So there was probably a green metallic trash container somewhere in the backalley when the woman was raped, and the association was made, bringing back every feeling she had when she was raped at the simple sight of a trash container. It is a real case, and we see it all the time with our animals, whatever species they are.

This knowledge is also impossible to erase from the brain; you can train an animal to have less fear, by desensitizing it, and it can work perfectly well as long as the animal is in a state of mind where he can think rationally. Bring back some level of fear/stress and all teh training done will go out the window.

I never knew how to train a hawk to avoid such associations. Layman's article is an eye-opener, and even if I share Geoff's opinion about what is worth putting energy into, or not, I'm interested in trying it out. It goes much further than covering your face though...

goshawkr
10-07-2011, 02:18 PM
If you are interested in the theory and applications of trauma learning, both in humans and animals, the best book I ever read about the subject was Animals in translation, by Dre Temple Grandin. She is a renowned behaviorist, autistic, and what she writes is breathtaking and eye-opening.

I have never read her books, but I have heard her interviewed several times and I greatly admire her. She also has a very rare gift. Her autism has left her in a state where she thinks very much like animals do. While that isnt common among people to think that way, its not exaclty unheard of. What is very unique about her is that she can still communicate very effectively with people, and can translate her thinking in ways that we understand it.

The way I explain the associations made with trauma learning is like this: a woman who was raped at dusk in a backalley, developed a phobia of green metallic trash containers. She could go nowhee near one of these, and it was very hard for her because she would start to shake and sweat and feel ill if forced to do so. Unconsciously, the brain while experimenting an extreme fear takes mental pictures of everything it perceives, and weirdly associates them together. So there was probably a green metallic trash container somewhere in the backalley when the woman was raped, and the association was made, bringing back every feeling she had when she was raped at the simple sight of a trash container. It is a real case, and we see it all the time with our animals, whatever species they are.

While that is a much more acurate example, its not one that everyone can directly relate to. I would imagine that food-illness aversions are much more common. Thankfully, at least in the Western world, trauma learning has become an extremely rare event.

The food-illness aversions are similar, but its not the same mechanism and the results are very different. Its a biological mechanism to help you learn to not eat stuff that will kill you - at least, not twice.

I never knew how to train a hawk to avoid such associations. Layman's article is an eye-opener, and even if I share Geoff's opinion about what is worth putting energy into, or not, I'm interested in trying it out. It goes much further than covering your face though...

Its definately a good thing to learn before it really matters. I like the idea of having apprentice learn it on their first redtail.

Hawkingcolorado
10-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I also tried the "pinch light LED" in my mouth trick..You can strobe it as slow or fast as you like, and have your hands free...Also in Steve's article.

MrBill
10-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I have trapped and trained a lot of passage hawks (RT's, Cooper's and Harris's). I have never covered any aspect on my body while approaching them on the trap, or later and the vast majorithy of these birds were on the wing in two weeks time. So, I really don't think it makes any difference at all.

In terms of trauma, here is a definition of the word that I feel is fairly accurate:

"an extremely distressing experience that causes severe emotional shock and may have long-lasting psychological effects"

If this were the case, there is no way (IMO) that we would be able to get passage hawks flying free (and returning) in a couple of weeks; it would take months, perhaps years.

Bill Boni

bobpayne
10-08-2011, 09:29 AM
I also tried the "pinch light LED" in my mouth trick..You can strobe it as slow or fast as you like, and have your hands free...Also in Steve's article.

Being from the midwest I have only met Steve Layman once at a NAFA meet yrs ago. I want to know more about the articles written by him, where are they available?

Tom Smith
10-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I have trapped and trained a lot of passage hawks (RT's, Cooper's and Harris's). I have never covered any aspect on my body while approaching them on the trap, or later and the vast majorithy of these birds were on the wing in two weeks time. So, I really don't think it makes any difference at all.

In terms of trauma, here is a definition of the word that I feel is fairly accurate:

"an extremely distressing experience that causes severe emotional shock and may have long-lasting psychological effects"

If this were the case, there is no way (IMO) that we would be able to get passage hawks flying free (and returning) in a couple of weeks; it would take months, perhaps years.

Bill Boni

I tend to agree with this as I have had good luck "taming" freshly caught birds. But I have seen some real severe exceptions and in my opinion it has a lot to do with my initial encounter with the bird. For instance when I'm approaching a bird on a trap or in a trap I try to never chase the bird but try to keep it facing me with wings spread and gradually gather it up into my hands avoiding getting bit or footed, making the whole operation as calm as possible.

Sometimes I have caught prairie falcons in a D-net that had their wings free and were able travel pretty well resulting in some long chases on the ground. These birds are severely entrenched with the idea that if they keep trying they can get away and it carries over into the manning process and I have turned a few birds so indoctrinated loose after a few days struggling to gain any kind progress with them.

But there have been exceptions to this also where in spite of an ugly chase and subduing, the bird calmed right down anyway.

I have noticed that birds caught in a bownet and carefully removed are not as traumatized as some birds caught by other methods resulting extra traumatic activity to bring them to sock or restraint. Trapping prairie falcons, peregrines and goshawks in bownets and banding them on the spot for release has produced some interesting episodes where the bird was still watching the pigeon as I was fastening band, and when I released the bird it went right back after the pigeon for some moments until it realized the danger and flew away. One such bird was not interested in the bait bird but was after me and put in some stoops at me on the way back to the blind and then went on her way.
One of the easiest prairie falcons for me to man was caught in D-net and I cautiously approach her on the ground. She was very well caught and couldn't move but was full of fight. I intended to keep her from the beginning so I was careful and respectful as I tried to free her from her bonds. I didn't notice she was freer than I thought and she suddenly popped out of the net and onto the ground a few feet from where I was kneeling and was facing me. I was upset with my self for letting this happen because I had been watching this particular bird and really wanted her. So for some split seconds we just stared at each other, she was glancing over her shoulder and I knew she knew that if she turned I might be able to snatch her back, then she really surprised me by attacking me and painfully footing and biting my legs and I gathered her up and went home she tamed right down and was very agreeable and a joy to work with. I think I had instilled a fight rather than flee mindset in her from the beginning inadvertently by being careful with her. Of course it may have just been this bird, one never knows.

Goshawk635
10-11-2011, 09:39 PM
In the for what it is worth department, I have spent several years working with traumitized teens and trauma learning is often deep and most therapy is simply application of coping skills to adapt to a functional life inspite of the trauma. The most effective therapies were those that allowed for re-learning at periods of heightened emotion/adrenaline and the periods immediately following these events. He used high ropes courses, climbing walls, etc... My reason for weighing in is that anything we can do to minimize trauma in these periods of elevated mood/emotion would only be a potential benefit. Connecting the dots from a teenager in a driveby shooting with a redtail ripped off his meal by the side of the road is a stretch but I for one think the idea is a valid one. Learning is always happening whenever we interact with our birds ... the question is what are we teaching?

goshawkr
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
... My reason for weighing in is that anything we can do to minimize trauma in these periods of elevated mood/emotion would only be a potential benefit. Connecting the dots from a teenager in a driveby shooting with a redtail ripped off his meal by the side of the road is a stretch but I for one think the idea is a valid one. Learning is always happening whenever we interact with our birds ... the question is what are we teaching?

This knowledge is also impossible to erase from the brain; you can train an animal to have less fear, by desensitizing it, and it can work perfectly well as long as the animal is in a state of mind where he can think rationally. Bring back some level of fear/stress and all the training done will go out the window...

Something occured to me as I was reading this thread yesterday that bears mentioning. Its something I have been giving a lot of thought to lately.

The is no way to "erase" from a mind. There is an inbuilt mechanism in the mind where memories fade in intensity with time, although that process also amplifies some critical memories. Fear is a trigger that the mind uses to "flag" a memory as being important to retain, and the stronger the fear the more likely it will be amplified. This is why really traumatic memories can get extremely intentense, because these traumatic memories can help avoid the source of the trauma from occuring again and save your neck.

The trauma, if it occurs, cant ever be erased. All you can do is try to desensitise it and/or overlay it with positive memories.

As a computer programer, it is natural for me to draw the link between programming and training - training IS programming of the brain. The important difference to remember is that there is no way to erase data from the brain. The brain does have mechanisms that do that on its own, but it cant be controlled by a trainer (at least not yet...)

Mandragen
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Something occured to me as I was reading this thread yesterday that bears mentioning. Its something I have been giving a lot of thought to lately.

The is no way to "erase" from a mind. There is an inbuilt mechanism in the mind where memories fade in intensity with time, although that process also amplifies some critical memories. Fear is a trigger that the mind uses to "flag" a memory as being important to retain, and the stronger the fear the more likely it will be amplified. This is why really traumatic memories can get extremely intentense, because these traumatic memories can help avoid the source of the trauma from occuring again and save your neck.

The trauma, if it occurs, cant ever be erased. All you can do is try to desensitise it and/or overlay it with positive memories.

As a computer programer, it is natural for me to draw the link between programming and training - training IS programming of the brain. The important difference to remember is that there is no way to erase data from the brain. The brain does have mechanisms that do that on its own, but it cant be controlled by a trainer (at least not yet...)

great point!

canvibe
10-12-2011, 02:08 PM
great point!

Now you got me thinking.

goshawkr
10-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Being from the midwest I have only met Steve Layman once at a NAFA meet yrs ago. I want to know more about the articles written by him, where are they available?

I am trying to get an online library of them established.

In the mean time, they are available in the hawk chalks. You can get copies of the articles from the Archives of Falconry if you are a NAFA member.

If you PM me, I can email you one that I have in PDF form.

stavros_
10-18-2011, 06:11 PM
great point!
As always.. :)

Red-tail71
10-21-2011, 11:30 AM

I disguised my face this year while trapping....lol!!!
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y307/Redtail71/Hopeontheridge.jpg
TRAPPING

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y307/Redtail71/hope009.jpg
AFTER TRAPPING

jkruer01
10-24-2011, 07:16 AM
I think it is important to note that Steve Layman works with accipiters and specifically goshawks mainly. There are a lot of things you can get away with when dealing with a RT or a HH that won't fly so to speak when dealing with an accipiter.

With that being said, a buddy of mine is friends with Steve Layman and he taught me most of Steve Layman's techniques and I use them with my RTs. Sure it may be a little extra work but in the end I think it is worth it. Besides, it will be a good experience for me once I move into the accipiters.

Jeremy

JRedig
10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
I think it is important to note that Steve Layman works with accipiters and specifically goshawks mainly.

That's not even close, sorry. He has quite the menagerie at the moment with a wide spread variety of birds and animals at his house. I don't know of a species he hasn't worked with that's common in falconry.

goshawkr
10-24-2011, 12:49 PM
I think it is important to note that Steve Layman works with accipiters and specifically goshawks mainly. There are a lot of things you can get away with when dealing with a RT or a HH that won't fly so to speak when dealing with an accipiter.

With that being said, a buddy of mine is friends with Steve Layman and he taught me most of Steve Layman's techniques and I use them with my RTs. Sure it may be a little extra work but in the end I think it is worth it. Besides, it will be a good experience for me once I move into the accipiters.

Jeremy

The Imprint into Accipiter article was developed while he was working with Prairie falcons. He also usually has a flock of apprentices that he is teaching, and during the time he wrote that article he was guiding them to try his ideas on redtails.

He has specialized in goshawks for the last 13 years, and that is exclusively what he has flown for falconry with the exception of one coopers hawk.

But he has flown almost everything available for falconry, and trained many that are not used for falconry for others.

goshawkr
10-24-2011, 01:29 PM
The Imprint into Accipiter article was developed while he was working with Prairie falcons. He also usually has a flock of apprentices that he is teaching, and during the time he wrote that article he was guiding them to try his ideas on redtails.

He has specialized in goshawks for the last 13 years, and that is exclusively what he has flown for falconry with the exception of one coopers hawk.

But he has flown almost everything available for falconry, and trained many that are not used for falconry for others.

I also ment to mention that when Layman was coming up with these ideas, he was unsure if an accipiter could even be "switched" to imprint like behavior. Since that time, they have proven to work on accipiters although no one has yet taken a passage tiercel and gotten it be a volontary semen donor yet.

jkruer01
10-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Yes, I understand he has experience with most species. I did not mean to imply in anyway that he only has experience with goshawks or accipiters. The point I was trying to make was that RTs allow you to get away with a lot more than many other species of birds. Just because Layman's techniques may seem like overkill with a RT (to some) doesn't mean you won't see benefits of using them with a RT (which I do).

Thanks!
Jeremy

Steveo
08-30-2013, 03:48 PM
I know this is quite the old thread, but I had a thought while reading: when taking steps to avoid undesirable trauma learning (hiding face, etc.), would it also be a good idea to trap a bird using an atypical prey item or a prey item you don't intend to hunt? For example, if trapping a kessie to hunt sparrows and starlings, using rodents or insects to do the trapping. I would think a bird trapped on sparrows would develop an aversion to them.

Taking the idea another step forward ,would it be a good idea to trap with something you don't want the bird to hunt? Again, using a kessie as an example, would trapping on a pile of grasshoppers create an aversion to them, and therefore increase the odds that the bird would focus on other prey items?

Has anyone experimented with this?

Minkenry
08-30-2013, 04:14 PM
I know this topic is about birds of prey and associating a bad experience with the falconer, but let me chime in here with an off topic example to confirm the belief that it helps to avoid associating a bad experience with the animal's new handler.

When taming mink I have often had the internal battle of how to put a harness on a mink with out holding them down. With a falcon you can avoid the negative association by not letting them see you when you cast them to put on their equipment. With a mink, however, they see more with their nose than they do their eyes,and there is nothing you can do to block their sense of sell. So throughout the years I've struggled to find a way to put a harness on a mink in the least stressful way possible to avoid that negative first impression. Years later when I finally found a way to do it (I created a little device they run through and it basically puts the harness on for me) I found that the mink did tame down MUCH sooner than the ones that had to be stressed out to put the harness on.

Avoiding that negative association could save me a week or two in the training/taming process with a new mink, and save me a few unexpected bites when I decided to take the glove off.

BestBeagler
08-30-2013, 09:40 PM
I know this topic is about birds of prey and associating a bad experience with the falconer, but let me chime in here with an off topic example to confirm the belief that it helps to avoid associating a bad experience with the animal's new handler.

When taming mink I have often had the internal battle of how to put a harness on a mink with out holding them down. With a falcon you can avoid the negative association by not letting them see you when you cast them to put on their equipment. With a mink, however, they see more with their nose than they do their eyes,and there is nothing you can do to block their sense of sell. So throughout the years I've struggled to find a way to put a harness on a mink in the least stressful way possible to avoid that negative first impression. Years later when I finally found a way to do it (I created a little device they run through and it basically puts the harness on for me) I found that the mink did tame down MUCH sooner than the ones that had to be stressed out to put the harness on.

Avoiding that negative association could save me a week or two in the training/taming process with a new mink, and save me a few unexpected bites when I decided to take the glove off.

That's cool. I am sure it can make a difference with some individuals maybe to all but to a different extent with each.

goshawkr
08-31-2013, 02:27 PM

With a mink, however, they see more with their nose than they do their eyes,and there is nothing you can do to block their sense of sell. .

I don't want to belabor a non topic tangent, so will be very brief, but if you think there is nothing you can do to block the sense of smell your just not being creative. :D

As an example, horses being prey animals themselves, are very sensitive to the smell of blood and raw meat and dead things. An old cowboy trick that is extremely effective to get a deer or elk carcass loaded onto a pack horse is to quickly and gently smear a lot of fresh blood just outside their nostril. Then all the horse can smell is blood, they calm down quickly, and you can load them up. By the time the smell in their nose disappates they are fine with whats on their back.

I have pulled similar tricks with wild (as in barely tame) ferrets when starting to work with them. Not using blood of course. It is pretty difficult to shut downt he sense of smell through something like a hood, but its a cinch to overload it and make it irrelevant.

wingnut
08-31-2013, 05:58 PM

Bill Boni

I totaly agree. They turn out fine either way. It's like having a whisle on your car bumper to scare off elephants on the road. The people who have them have never hit an elephant. They really work well. The people who mask up and hide their face have birds that work out most of the time and so do the ones who don't. To each his own.

BestBeagler
08-31-2013, 07:25 PM
The way I see it is that it's worth my effort to cover my face or hands (if I remember to do it). The rewards could be great. Maybe it doesn't do anything but it doesn't take much effort to take the precaution. It's like using pine needles to help ward of asper or help cure it. Has it been proven to work? Maybe not but it is an anti fungal and you bet it's worth the effort to find some pine and use it on my birds. Smells good to!

thebooster99
08-31-2013, 11:28 PM
Isaac, the pine needles have been scientifically proven to kill asper spores.

longwinger2010
12-11-2013, 07:55 PM
I actually have a trapping disguise...it's a orange yellow blue dreadlock winter cap and a black stocking head mask....an orange/yellow tye dye shirt and bright yellow gloves !

I keep it in a bag in the closet and never take it out unless I am out trapping.