PDA

View Full Version : LOST - Female Red-Tailed Hawk, Krider's color morph

tajohnson
10-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Wearing leg band number RO107178. She is wearing a transmitter which should have about a 14 mile radius, beeping on frequency 216.066. Batteries are brand new, and should last about 10 days. Leather Jessis & Bells. Last seen approximately 1 pm on Saturday, October 15, 2011 in Spring Grove MN.

We had a fairly stiff wind out of the North West, which would have taken her South and East, towards Iowa, then Wisconsin, across the Mississippi River.

She is my husbands first hawk, he is in his first year apprenticeship. She is lure trained, but this was her first free flight. She may respond to a gym whistle.

Please email me with any information. Thanks.

http://www.nafex.net/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=4813

Dave Gibson
10-16-2011, 01:12 PM
that sucks I hope you get her back !!

LadyHawker
10-16-2011, 01:15 PM
This was Annabelle's first hunt, and she caught a squirrel . . . but she didn't bring it to ground, but instead surfed out of the valley. Lots of searching going on today. Anyone know how to contact the Iowa Club? I've informed NAFA, and Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Here is my blog with details, though most have been posted here already.

http://phoenixfirefalconry.blogspot.com

Thanks everyone!

Carolyn Standlee
(Justin's sponsor)

tajohnson
10-16-2011, 01:15 PM
that sucks I hope you get her back !!

Thank you, we have some really good people out looking...

Keith Denman
10-16-2011, 04:25 PM
I am sorry to hear about losing your bird. It is never an easy thing, I hope you have a quick recovery.

NCFalconer
10-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Just a thought: you might call the folks at Houston County Airport in Caledonia. Ask them if there is a local pilot who'd be willing to take you up to do an aerial search. You can cover a LOT of territory in a short period of time. All you need to do is take your receiver, yagi, and a good headset. Show the pilot where you lost the RT then make bigger and bigger concentric circles around that area until you pick up a signal.

Joby
10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Wearing leg band number RO107178. She is wearing a transmitter which should have about a 14 mile radius, beeping on frequency 216.066. Batteries are brand new, and should last about 10 days. Leather Jessis & Bells. Last seen approximately 1 pm on Saturday, October 15, 2011 in Spring Grove MN.

We had a fairly stiff wind out of the North West, which would have taken her South and East, towards Iowa, then Wisconsin, across the Mississippi River.

She is my husbands first hawk, he is in his first year apprenticeship. She is lure trained, but this was her first free flight. She may respond to a gym whistle.

Good luck with your search!! Just a quick fyi, we have a simple rule around here that everyone signs their posts with at least their first name to keep things nice and amicable.

Hawkmom
10-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Get in touch with your local HAM radio operators with the frequency of the bird's transmitter. HAM operators do something called a 'Fox Hunt'; a search and rescue training operation. They may be your best asset.

kbartness
10-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Best of luck finding your partner. I know it's hard to do that first free flight.

bapres
10-17-2011, 12:04 AM

I placed your lost hawk post on Iowa Falconers Assoc. site.
Good luck finding her.