PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Animals into Utah

Saluqi
11-01-2011, 11:17 AM
In getting ready to travel to Utah I wanted the official scoop on what is required to bring animals into the state legally. I found the information on the Utah Department of Agriculture page:

http://ag.utah.gov/divisions/animal/health/entry.html#entry

Go to the "Wildlife" link for the requirements for bringing in raptors, also note there are requirements for bringing dogs into Utah.

calebstroh
11-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Easy squeazy! A trip to the vet (one visit for dogs and birds) and a 1 minute phone call to the department of AG! And you're good to go!

Thanks for posting the link!

caleb

goshawkr
11-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Easy squeazy! A trip to the vet (one visit for dogs and birds) and a 1 minute phone call to the department of AG! And you're good to go!

Thanks for posting the link!

caleb

Sure, looks easy on paper.

Most vets in my area charge you $50 to walk in the door. Thats on top of everthing else. The health cert is $$ on top of that.

My dog is healty, my bird is healthy. Its agrivating to satisfy some punk beaurocrate in Utah of this at no real value added. Especially since my healthy dog and my healthy hawk are coming back to Washington with me.

This is a VISIT we are talking about, not an import.

I think I'll contact someone at a decision makeing level in the Utah Department of Ag and ask them who is granting import permits for the migrating raptors.

Lowachi
11-01-2011, 02:03 PM
In getting ready to travel to Utah I wanted the official scoop on what is required to bring animals into the state legally. I found the information on the Utah Department of Agriculture page:

Go to the "Wildlife" link for the requirements for bringing in raptors, also note there are requirements for bringing dogs into Utah.

Thanks , seeing I have to do this tomorrow:eek:

calebstroh
11-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Oh fer crying out loud!

Would you like some cheese with that whine!

I mean fer heck sakes, it aint all that bad! It’s just the cost of doin' stuff...gas, hotels, whisky, girls...it all costs money...and they print more everyday!

caleb

goshawkr
11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Oh fer crying out loud!

I mean fer heck sakes, it aint all that bad! It’s just the cost of doin' stuff...gas, hotels, whisky, girls...it all costs money...and they print more everyday!

caleb

cheese? love some.

HATE beurocracy - but LOVE cheese....

Yeomanfalconer
11-01-2011, 03:44 PM
cheese? love some.

HATE beurocracy - but LOVE cheese....
I'm with you Geoff. I can't afford this meet, nor see the reason for it's rules.

Saluqi
11-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Sure, looks easy on paper.

Most vets in my area charge you $50 to walk in the door. Thats on top of everthing else. The health cert is $$ on top of that.

My dog is healty, my bird is healthy. Its agrivating to satisfy some punk beaurocrate in Utah of this at no real value added. Especially since my healthy dog and my healthy hawk are coming back to Washington with me.

This is a VISIT we are talking about, not an import.

I think I'll contact someone at a decision makeing level in the Utah Department of Ag and ask them who is granting import permits for the migrating raptors.

Hey Geoff,

For what it's worth I just called the UT dept of ag and they confirmed that we need to have the health cert and entry permit, though I didn't speak to anyone in a position of power I don't believe. Can you imagine all of the citations they would write if they policed the border for people entering Utah with a dog and no permit? Ridiculous!

goshawkr
11-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Hey Geoff,

For what it's worth I just called the UT dept of ag and they confirmed that we need to have the health cert and entry permit, though I didn't speak to anyone in a position of power I don't believe. Can you imagine all of the citations they would write if they policed the border for people entering Utah with a dog and no permit? Ridiculous!

Ya, well there was a reason why I left Utah. It wasnt the scenery, or the sunshine or the great warm friendly people.

It was the idiots in charge. I left in a huff and vowed to never move back until they were put in front of a firing squad (I was refering to the Game Commission at the time, but I think others might be worthy. :D)

Not taht Washington is devoid of idiots running governement agencies, or anywhere else mind you.

Well, I guess thats just one more thing on my list to sort out when I become dictator of the world for life. Right after I excute all the morons that insist on talking loudly in the movie theater.

(actually the reason I left was for a job, but thats not quite as dramatic...)

Hawkingcolorado
11-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Oh fer crying out loud!

caleb
I see you live IN Utah...:D

goshawkr
11-01-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm with you Geoff. I can't afford this meet, nor see the reason for it's rules.

Well, the only reason I can afford the NAFA meet this year is because my dad lives in Vernal.

Actually, that kinda makes it a requirement that I attend. No excuses to NOT spend T-day with my dad.

calebstroh
11-01-2011, 05:17 PM
I see you live IN Utah...:D

It was the "heck" that gave it away wasn't it...:D

Truth is, I'm not your average Utahn'. Buy me a drink at the meet and find out. (I also like whine and cheese...)

Plus, I just play the red-neck bit on this interweb thingy!

All that bein' said, I still just don't git it? I mean it should cost less than $75 bucks (and if its more, you need a new vet! 'round these parts a health cert is $35!) and less than 1 hour of your time (including vet visit and phone call!)

You'all have had several months to plan this, and it really is as simple as a vet visit and a phone call. Period! We can't change it, so we deal with it.

I aint exactly rollin' in the dough myself, but come on folks!

Hawkingcolorado
11-01-2011, 05:24 PM
It was the "heck" that gave it away wasn't it...:D

Truth is, I'm not your average Utahn'. Buy me a drink at the meet and find out. (I also like whine and cheese...)

Plus, I just play the red-neck bit on this interweb thingy!

All that bein' said, I still just don't git it? I mean it should cost less than $75 bucks (and if its more, you need a new vet! 'round these parts a health cert is $35!) and less than 1 hour of your time (including vet visit and phone call!)

You'all have had several months to plan this, and it really is as simple as a vet visit and a phone call. Period! We can't change it, so we deal with it.

I aint exactly rollin' in the dough myself, but come on folks!

I'm just ging you a hard time:D...I don't think it'll stop that many people from going...

Dirthawking
11-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Yep.....per bird.....and dog......Just sayin. It is not that cheap for some people in todays economy.

calebstroh
11-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Yep.....per bird.....and dog......Just sayin. It is not that cheap for some people in todays economy.

Many vets will do mulitple critters on one Health Cert!

goshawkr
11-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Many vets will do mulitple critters on one Health Cert!

Thats true - but the common practice in my area is for the vet to charge $50 a piece to say hello to each of them.

I dont begrudge the vets their living. I likewise dont begrudget the government from protecting the public.

But this import permit thing is just causing hassle and costing money, and not protecting a thing.

Just sayin....

Jimmy
11-02-2011, 09:32 AM
After the meet, let everyone know how many people actually get checked on wether they have HC's or not.......

Saluqi
11-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Sorry, there was an error in what I posted yesterday, a NAFA member caught it and sent me the correction. Sorry for the confusion.

"I see one Heading labeled “Psiticenes, Paserines, and Raptors” which calls for only the Veterinary Certificate and the Entry Permit (appears one permit can cover all your raptors).

The “Wildlife” heading which addresses “wildlife and raptors imported or exported” is more restrictive in needing a Certificate of Registration from the Division of Wildlife Resources.
Under this heading you would have to get a Certificate of Registration every time you left Utah with a falconry bird.
Hopefully the less difficult class is the correct one."

goshawkr
11-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Sorry, there was an error in what I posted yesterday, a NAFA member caught it and sent me the correction. Sorry for the confusion.

"I see one Heading labeled “Psiticenes, Paserines, and Raptors” which calls for only the Veterinary Certificate and the Entry Permit (appears one permit can cover all your raptors).

The “Wildlife” heading which addresses “wildlife and raptors imported or exported” is more restrictive in needing a Certificate of Registration from the Division of Wildlife Resources.
Under this heading you would have to get a Certificate of Registration every time you left Utah with a falconry bird.
Hopefully the less difficult class is the correct one."

Didnt the meet chair send out an email clarifying this?

The dicussion of the COR does not apply to anyone but Utah residents. The COR is a Utah State document that is effecitively a way to register owning something they consider wildlife or otherwise unusual.

Its a basic catch all permit type.

Chris L.
11-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I just spoke with the lady that issues the permits, She said both of my birds and one dog can go on one permit.

Also, they issue the permit number the day your vet calls and the permit is good for one month

I will be getting mine Friday and can post on how it all went

Im not sure if any of this helps anyone

jfseaman
11-05-2011, 01:39 AM
I got my HC and entry permits today.

Utah Department of Ag was very helpful. It's my regular vet so it went fast.

3 Birds, 1 dog, cheap at $310.

Got to get 2 more HC/Entry permit while in Kansas as I am getting a couple birds to add to my breeding project.

Goshawk635
11-05-2011, 05:24 AM
I got my HC and entry permits today.

Utah Department of Ag was very helpful. It's my regular vet so it went fast.

3 Birds, 1 dog, cheap at $310.

Got to get 2 more HC/Entry permit while in Kansas as I am getting a couple birds to add to my breeding project.

Here locally a local vet was kind enough to volunteer her time to check and write the HC. Everyone pitched in $10 a piece but she was glad to do it. I will not be traveling to Vernal as work is in my way but it was a nice gesture by a quality vet.

Chris L.
11-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I just spoke with the lady that issues the permits, She said both of my birds and one dog can go on one permit.

Also, they issue the permit number the day your vet calls and the permit is good for one month

I will be getting mine Friday and can post on how it all went

Im not sure if any of this helps anyone

Sorry I forgot to update,

The vet HC was very easy to get. Vet called and told them all animals were clear. I got 1 dog and 2 hawks done. The best part the vet didnt charge me for the visit or HC, he just enjoyed me bringing the birds in and seeing them amennn

I cant count how many times my birds have gotten me freebies and get out of jail cards.

Anyway, its very easy and painless...

Goshawk635
11-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I cant count how many times my birds have gotten me freebies and get out of jail cards.

thumbsupp

I have always relyed on the kindness of the masses and the "lookie lous".