PDA

View Full Version : New to Falconry

Joan Marie
11-14-2011, 04:51 PM
...old to a lot of other things. I raised 4 sons and a daughter, worked a few ranches back home in Colorado, was in law enforcement for awhile there. I started as dispatch/detention but was later made victim advocate coordinator of the first response unit. Later I was appointed to go to the academy where I graduated valedictorian *golf clap*. Truth is there was only 4 of us, 3 of us were over 65 and the guy that taught me to shoot was pistol partner to the current national champ and taught this ol housewife from the bottom up. It was a reserve academy. (:

How did I become interested in falconry? Parrots I guess. Daughter tossed me a nanday conure that got noisy because she worked. I remember he intimidated me what-with his black head and that vise grip on his face. But there was magic in those intelligent eyes. The first night as I undressed in front of him I got the hebejebees at his intense stare and decided to flap my floor length turquoise gown vigorously at him and announce that I was the biggest prettiest bird in the jungle. He made me a nest next spring.

I made him work. His intelligence amazed me. He learned so quickly. I tricked him out. Something about the way he responded.... I started reading. I picked up an Amazon. Someone gave me a lorikeet...I kept reading. I kept understanding and the birds and I did the dance, you know, that thing I'm convinced we share.

I'd been watching a pair of hawks for 3 years. I live in the city by tracks. Someone gave away an amazing piece of artwork on craigslist: a two foot high carved bating hawk on a log. I watched it for 2 years. It sits in the center of the house.

Someone threw me a rock dove fledgling this spring. I raised it. A hawk, a female red tail juvie I'm convinced now, banged the cage in August. I was 4 ft away. I read Falcon Fever. I did my homework on dogs and my area. One poster on a British site made the comment that he had hawked for decades only recently with dogs and he has since questioned his sanity for not dogging before. Ya. I'm 55. I get it. Picked up a Feist pup. Put a falcon bell around the pet duck's neck (watching that!) hoping to create that good bridge in good time...

So here I am making contact with you amazing people. I'm studying. I'll be networking this winter. I'm excited and intimidated all at once. I want to do my part to ensure that these birds are cared for yes, but more and more I see the immediacy of having discretion when speaking about falconry to anyone. This is a noble thing.

To all sponsors, answer me this:
What has been your pet peeve with apprentices?

Meanwhile I lurk, I lurk!

Stay safe!

thunderheartiii
11-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Hello and welcome to NAFEX...hope your falconry experience will be an enjoyable life style.

Joan Marie
11-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks Georgia!

Keith Denman
11-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Welcome and I would recommend that you find local falconers to go out with this winter if you are not already doing it. This way you can get some first hand experience at how and what is really envolved. Good luck and welcome to a new lifestyle.

Joan Marie
11-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks Keith. Haven't felt like this since that time I went to the alter. (:

Am so grateful for the availability the members show here.

NMHighPlains
11-14-2011, 09:11 PM
My pet peeve? Probably enthusiastic apprentices that have a hard time seeing the long picture. They want to get everything done NOW, instead of taking the time to savor the process.

Of course, it only took me 15-20 years to learn patience myself. :)

Keith Denman
11-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Your quite welcome Joan.

thunderheartiii
11-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Joan...what part of Alabama do you live in? I might be able to help you find some local falconers if you live close to the GA border....

Joan Marie
11-15-2011, 04:53 AM
My pet peeve? Probably enthusiastic apprentices that have a hard time seeing the long picture. They want to get everything done NOW, instead of taking the time to savor the process.

Of course, it only took me 15-20 years to learn patience myself. :)

Savor the process, check! Art is like that eh?

Tom Scheib
11-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Just want you to know that, while I had some experiences as a kid, I didn't really start the "process" until I was in my late 60's. Patience and commitment for a long haul. Best wishes on your journey.

hawking
11-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Just wanted to say.......Welcome and yes do learn to enjoy the process, failing to do so was one of my biggest oversights when I started. Maybe still is

goshawkr
11-15-2011, 03:42 PM
To all sponsors, answer me this:
What has been your pet peeve with apprentices?

Meanwhile I lurk, I lurk!

Stay safe!

There is an amazing amount of wisdome in this question.

That alone should take you far with potential sponsors.

Over enthusiasm as Bryan Kimsey described can be a real pain to deal with. I enjoy the energy, but it gets to a point where you just want to smack someone.

My biggest peeve with apprentices is having to repeat myself. I understand that its hard to catch all the info flying, but if I tell you something I expect you to honor the fact that I am taking the time to share my knowledge and insight and try your best to absorb it.

The second time I have to explain something I get mildly irked. By the fourth time I wonder why your bothering to ask the question.

I disagree with the commonly thrown out statement that there are no dumb questions. Dumb questions are those that you either already know the answer to (not counting situations where you want to confirm your logic) or ones that you have already asked.

There are, however, plenty of sponors out there that relish the opportunity to prove to you how great they are and that enjoy repeating answers. :D

Keith Denman
11-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Amen Geoff you hit that right on. haillhaillhaill

christopher.vly
11-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Joan,

People thought i was silly when i put jesses on a thief pouter pigeon. Ok, maybe i was silly for doing it, but training that bird and flying around town not only got me attention from passerby's but taught me the nuances of handling a bird and learning how to use the equipment (jesses, swivel, falconry knot, ect.). Im not suggesting you jess up a parrot, but knowing how to condition a bird to do what you want is part of the equation. Good luck in your endeavors.

Joan Marie
11-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Joan...what part of Alabama do you live in? I might be able to help you find some local falconers if you live close to the GA border....

Huntsville here,,,not sure why I can't change my location in the profile thinger...

Thanks a bunch!

Joan Marie
11-15-2011, 09:55 PM
There is an amazing amount of wisdome in this question.

That alone should take you far with potential sponsors.

Over enthusiasm as Bryan Kimsey described can be a real pain to deal with. I enjoy the energy, but it gets to a point where you just want to smack someone.

My biggest peeve with apprentices is having to repeat myself. I understand that its hard to catch all the info flying, but if I tell you something I expect you to honor the fact that I am taking the time to share my knowledge and insight and try your best to absorb it.

The second time I have to explain something I get mildly irked. By the fourth time I wonder why your bothering to ask the question.

I disagree with the commonly thrown out statement that there are no dumb questions. Dumb questions are those that you either already know the answer to (not counting situations where you want to confirm your logic) or ones that you have already asked.

There are, however, plenty of sponors out there that relish the opportunity to prove to you how great they are and that enjoy repeating answers. :D

ha. relish and wieners just seem to go together no matter where you land...
i promise to do my best ("

Joan Marie
11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Joan,

People thought i was silly when i put jesses on a thief pouter pigeon. Ok, maybe i was silly for doing it, but training that bird and flying around town not only got me attention from passerby's but taught me the nuances of handling a bird and learning how to use the equipment (jesses, swivel, falconry knot, ect.). Im not suggesting you jess up a parrot, but knowing how to condition a bird to do what you want is part of the equation. Good luck in your endeavors.

OMG youre awesome. I've been slinking around the local ferrel pigeon flock at Walmart doctoring gangous toes and untangling fibers...but I can blend with the oldsters. Its all about the hat. (:

As I am reading about manning I have wondered if we jessed up daughters african grey and kept her up for two days if the bird wouldn't switch it up,,,,good thing Piper the duck is so tame....

Tx for the blessing!

Joan Marie
11-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Just want you to know that, while I had some experiences as a kid, I didn't really start the "process" until I was in my late 60's. Patience and commitment for a long haul. Best wishes on your journey.

I think I would like to hear your story (:
You have single handedly encouraged me more than you'll know.

Joan Marie
11-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Just wanted to say.......Welcome and yes do learn to enjoy the process, failing to do so was one of my biggest oversights when I started. Maybe still is

Thanks, sense deep insight in this