PDA

View Full Version : Had a great time at the meet!!

STait
11-26-2011, 11:14 AM
I had a wonderful time at the NAFA meet this year and got to meet and hang out with Jeff R, Paul D, Scott M. We had some great fun hawking sage grouse. Also got to finally meet in person Steve Laymen who I spent many hours on the phone with but had never met in person. Didn't get to meet Chris L. in person but had a short phone conversation, sorry Chris for my slopeheadedness. Mario and Richard did a great job at the weathering yard. Had some great fun with some folks from the U.K. as well. I met many other good people from this forum and that was a pleasure.

I was with Steve Jensen and after a great day finding lots of grouse, his truck came up with a serious problem and we decided to limp home Friday.

I heard that finding game was tough for some, but we got lucky each day. Didn't kill anything but saw some good dog work.

I hope all you guys that went had a good time,

jfseaman
11-26-2011, 02:52 PM
So glad your truck is ambulatory.

Still in Vernal. Took Rob Palmer out so we could add another Gadwall to the food pile.

Best wishes for everyones safe journeys.

Ally
11-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Had an amazing time at my first NAFA meet. Huge thanks to Mario and Rich for their work at the weathering yard and forgiving my ignorance at such events, and to Krys, Michael B, Geoff H, Paul and Simone & Sarah for the hawking. I had so much fun!
It was fantastic to meet you all, and Chris Lynn put on an amazing dinner, thank you. (The bar the night before was lots of fun, too!) Heather, Missy, you are two badass lady hawkers, I'm so glad I met you. Greg Thomas, it was such a pleasure, and hearing Steve Layman speak was fantastic. And Jeff, for all the information you gave me and all the questions I'm sure I'll pester you with in the coming months.
Met some great friends, put names to faces and learned a lot. It was well worth the trip! Got my hawk her first hunts and came close many times. Taking a lot of new information home with me!
(And anyone I left out, forgive me! So many wonderful people)

Heatherg
11-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Gotta echo everyones comments so far.....EASILY one of the best meets I have ever been to. Yes the hunting was....well....HUNTING...but the people made it the VERY BEST!....So glad to have met some great new people...the "steve's" ....thanks for the great dog talks!!! Cant wait to see some of them in action...Ally....it was a pleasure.....thanks for everything and for sharing your enthusiasm!!! Cant wait to see the hunting stories...I know you will do well :) Thanks Roper for the opportunity to get out there.....Krys...thanks again for another great trip....the birds worked well and it paid off....the jack flights were definitely a high point! as well as that whole day!!!!a day I wont soon forget!....Ken(aka..JAKE) thanks for all the laughs....anytime you want to hunt in KS...just let me know :)....To the Bristol boys...thanks for EVERYTHING!!!! and giving me the chance to meet Randy and Janie....truely special people!
and to Chris L.......without the forum....I wouldnt have met the people that made this meet so special! I had many people come up and compliment the dinner and say what a great time they had.....Cant say THANK YOU enough!!!!!
Got lots of pics to post as well as a few stories......gotta get some sleep first though...back home in MN....re-living all the great times!!!!

DirtHawker
11-27-2011, 06:32 PM
I was sorry to miss the meet, my very first NAFA meet was Vernal, and was and still is some of the most beautiful hawking I have participated in. Does anyone know just what the game totals were for the meet?
Sue

STait
11-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Gotta echo everyones comments so far.....EASILY one of the best meets I have ever been to. Yes the hunting was....well....HUNTING...but the people made it the VERY BEST!....So glad to have met some great new people...the "steve's" ....thanks for the great dog talks!!! Cant wait to see some of them in action...Ally....it was a pleasure.....thanks for everything and for sharing your enthusiasm!!! Cant wait to see the hunting stories...I know you will do well :) Thanks Roper for the opportunity to get out there.....Krys...thanks again for another great trip....the birds worked well and it paid off....the jack flights were definitely a high point! as well as that whole day!!!!a day I wont soon forget!....Ken(aka..JAKE) thanks for all the laughs....anytime you want to hunt in KS...just let me know :)....To the Bristol boys...thanks for EVERYTHING!!!! and giving me the chance to meet Randy and Janie....truely special people!
and to Chris L.......without the forum....I wouldnt have met the people that made this meet so special! I had many people come up and compliment the dinner and say what a great time they had.....Cant say THANK YOU enough!!!!!
Got lots of pics to post as well as a few stories......gotta get some sleep first though...back home in MN....re-living all the great times!!!!

Heather, it was great talking with you. Hope to hear more about your field trial prospects and adventures. Thanks for your service.

Paul Mascuch
11-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Sue -

I'm sure the meet game totals will be published in Hawk Chalk, but as I remember from the banquet approximately 200 people caught 40 rabbits, 4 jacks, 2 sage grouse (in Wyoming), 23 ducks, and a few misc. I didn't write it down so this is from memory which at my age is fading.

If anybody has better numbers please let us know.

It was tough hunting, but I for one had a great time. I especially want to thank Chris for organizing the NAFEX dinner. It was a good time. I enjoyed meeting Chris for the first time. He is truly a fine gentleman.

Paul

Ken S.
11-27-2011, 08:27 PM
a day I wont soon forget!....Ken(aka..JAKE) thanks for all the laughs....anytime you want to hunt in KS...just let me know :).

HA HA HA! You crack me up H-Bomb, my side still hurts from laughing most of the day. It was fun hawking with you guys.

My original plan for this meet was to spend most of the time hawking alone in the vast BLM land, hopefully in a game rich environment, to put in some real quality time with my Hawk and hopefully catch a jackrabbit on my own... and maybe try to meet some of the Nafex members and see a few vendors in the evenings if there was time. And I generally like hawking alone, blocking out all of the stresses that surround work and the rest of my life while engaged in quiet pursuit of game with my hawk. That plan went out the window when I started hanging out with some of the fun folks from Nafex, and it was then that I realized it was foolish to go to a meet with the intention of not really hanging out with anyone. These are some fun people to hang out with, and good falconers too. So we combined our efforts searching for game, hung out in the evenings to share stories and unwind, and became fast friends. This wasn't my first NAFA meet (maybe my fourth?) but it was this new element of friendship and comraderie that made the trip so special this year. Finding game was very tough, and the slips were difficult when you got them... but the many hours of walking and driving, scouting and hawking, were rewarded with new friendships and laughs we shared (usually at each other's expense). And I was able to eventually catch a rabbit, get several flights at jackrabbits, witness a jackrabbit caught by a cast of HH's, see a wild prairie put in a jaw dropping effort while stooping and climbing repeatedly at ducks we had flushed, and hunted some very beautiful and remote places. I made some memories that I will never forget, and a few I will never remember.

Hope to see everyone next year in Nebraska!

Heatherg
11-27-2011, 08:57 PM
HA HA HA! You crack me up H-Bomb, my side still hurts from laughing most of the day. It was fun hawking with you guys.

My original plan for this meet was to spend most of the time hawking alone in the vast BLM land, hopefully in a game rich environment, to put in some real quality time with my Hawk and hopefully catch a jackrabbit on my own... and maybe try to meet some of the Nafex members and see a few vendors in the evenings if there was time. And I generally like hawking alone, blocking out all of the stresses that surround work and the rest of my life while engaged in quiet pursuit of game with my hawk. That plan went out the window when I started hanging out with some of the fun folks from Nafex, and it was then that I realized it was foolish to go to a meet with the intention of not really hanging out with anyone. These are some fun people to hang out with, and good falconers too. So we combined our efforts searching for game, hung out in the evenings to share stories and unwind, and became fast friends. This wasn't my first NAFA meet (maybe my fourth?) but it was this new element of friendship and comraderie that made the trip so special this year. Finding game was very tough, and the slips were difficult when you got them... but the many hours of walking and driving, scouting and hawking, were rewarded with new friendships and laughs we shared (usually at each other's expense). And I was able to eventually catch a rabbit, get several flights at jackrabbits, witness a jackrabbit caught by a cast of HH's, see a wild prairie put in a jaw dropping effort while stooping and climbing repeatedly at ducks we had flushed, and hunted some very beautiful and remote places. I made some memories that I will never forget, and a few I will never remember.

Hope to see everyone next year in Nebraska!

clappclappclappclappclappclappclappclappclappclapp clappclappclappclapp
:) all I can say to that is THANK YOU!!!!! :)

JRedig
11-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Now i'm repeating myself, but it was just fantastic.

Great to see everyone and meet new people. Thank you to the Steve's for the grouse hawking and Chris L. for putting the dinner together, along with the NAFEX members who attended. This site really is something wonderful when everyone can get together and have a lot of fun, thanks to all of you for that.

Ken S.
11-27-2011, 09:25 PM
I didnt take many pics, and most are crappy cell phone pics but... here are a couple I figured I would share.

Me (Krys is in the background)
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/img_000-0000-0000-0000-0001547.upload.jpg

Heather and Krys
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/img_000-0000-0000-0000-0001548.jpg

Miles and miles of BLM in every direction
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/img_000-0000-0000-0000-0001545.jpg

Heather's HH's?
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/img_000-0000-0000-0000-0001546.jpg

Chris L's Miggs
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/img_000-0000-0000-0000-000153b.jpg

Dirthawking
11-27-2011, 09:27 PM
It was a fun time as usual. I don't really go to the meets for the hunting, but more for the social aspect. Meeting up with old friends and the such.

But....

.....this last weekend SUCKED A**!!!!

We left Saturday morning after having breakfast with Rich and Kim B. plus family. We got on the road and after only 1 1/2 hours of travel the engine in the truck went out. Brandi slipped in the snow and hurt her elbow. Got a tow, rented a van so we were not stuck on the side of the road (in the middle of no where Colorado), rented another car, drove straight through to Texas (left truck in Texas at repair shop), with a side trip to OK to drop of junior B., cleaned out SUV in time to return it, to in turn rent another car, to drive to hospital to get Brandi looked at (broken tip of radius at elbow). Plus other family problem thrown in just for good measure! (this is the very short condensed version of the story)

Heatherg
11-27-2011, 09:41 PM
I didnt take many pics, and most are crappy cell phone pics but... here are a couple I figured I would share.

Me (Krys is in the background)
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/img_000-0000-0000-0000-0001547.upload.jpg

Heather and Krys
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/img_000-0000-0000-0000-0001548.jpg

Miles and miles of BLM in every direction
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/img_000-0000-0000-0000-0001545.jpg

Heather's HH's?
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/img_000-0000-0000-0000-0001546.jpg

Chris L's Miggs
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/img_000-0000-0000-0000-000153b.jpg

Thanks!!!! for sharing these!......im still just overwhelmed by that day :)

michaelberan
11-27-2011, 10:38 PM
One of the best NAFA meets I've been too, I love Vernal, Ut but it was the North American Falconers that made this meet rock!

AK Rev
11-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Geez Mario. What a mess.

Lowachi
11-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Sue -

If anybody has better numbers please let us know.

Paul

45 birds took 77 head of Quarry. These are turned in scores. Some people were not reporting take. Officially, 3 gos, 23 Harris', 7 GxP's, 6 peregrines,a gyr, 4 redtails, and a coops took 40 CT, 23 ducks of 7species, 7 misc., 4 jacks, 2 sage grouse, and a crow.

AK Rev
11-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Wow...low numbers. Densities must be low there too like they are in New Mexico.

Heatherg
11-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Rabbit/ jack rabbit population crash 4 years ago and then tularemia 2 years ago......??????what could anyone expect!!!!

AK Rev
11-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Don't forget the drought of this year. That really hurts the CTs in particular.

frootdog
11-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Don't forget the drought of this year. That really hurts the CTs in particular.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that area was affected much by the drought.

frootdog
11-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Ken(aka..JAKE)

I wish I knew how to quit you!toungeout Loved meeting Brokeback Ken! Funny guy. Great times. 2 words. Little B's!

NMHighPlains
11-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Wow...low numbers. Densities must be low there too like they are in New Mexico.

Low numbers of hawks, too. Just 45 birds total?

frootdog
11-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Low numbers of hawks, too. Just 45 birds total?

There were way more birds than that at the meet. As Rich said those are just the birds that were reported that actually took game. I can attest to how hard it was to find game. I got in on Thursday the 17th and hawked for 9 days. I walked an average of 7-8 hrs/day and caught a whopping 7 CTs, 1 BTJ, and 1 Mouse in that time. There were times we would go a whole day and see tons of sign but not one flush. Tough to find and tougher to catch once they were found. The highlight was after 6 days of walking we caught the first jack we flushed!:D

COMEAUX
11-28-2011, 09:22 AM
I joined NAFA in 1982,went to 3 meets back then,started going back in 2000 and been every year. This meet OUR 50TH YEAR was the WORST I have been to. Not the people not the game but the structure of the meet itself. This was something special 50 years that is why I came. I could not believe the shirt that I got how bland nothing there.Why didn't it have had the NAFA logo on the back with celebrating 50 years 1961-2011. Then the raffle :eek: got to write my name on my tickets frus) I missed the first night because they started at 6PM people are still getting back from hunting.No body did there home work! And the grand finally our banquet in a lounge WTF table for 2!! How pathetic is thatconfusedd. I drove 1500 miles for this and I'm so disappointed there was nothing special to show we made it 50 years...how sad. Sorry for therantt I'm done.

Chris

AK Rev
11-28-2011, 09:24 AM
There were times we would go a whole day and see tons of sign but not one flush.

Wow.

Saluqi
11-28-2011, 09:32 AM
The cottontail slips were much more conducive to goshawks than any other species. The slips were often close to holes/rocks and up hill. I hawked four days and got maybe a dozen slips and put three in the bag, a number for which I'm eternally grateful. The game numbers may have been low, but the country made up for it, it was a spiritual experience for me. Hawking remote juniper and sage covered ridges with friends, old and new, who have traveled across the country and the world with the common goal made this meet very special. I think the fact that rabbits were not just popping up all over the place, and that you really had to work for a slip, and your bird really had to work for a catch made everyone appreciate the game that was taken much more. There was none of the blood lust that can sometimes over shadow what is truly important in this lifestyle. As you can tell, I had a freaking great time!

jfseaman
11-28-2011, 09:34 AM
It was a meet clapp

I had a great time despite a wanna be competitor being snarky all over the place. I think that really big person never had anyone stand up to him. He is smaller than my brothers http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/boxing.gif and I really don't mind being a 'punk'.

I asked Scott what he was doing. Got a flip answer so took Kevin from Bristol England with us to catch ducks.toungeout That day was some good flights and one of the shovelers. Scott was being silly and so am I;)

Families do what families do. Falconers do what falconers do. Competitors do what competitors do, I still love them. I just say a good word to a higher power, blow off a little steam and move on.

STait
11-28-2011, 10:25 AM
The cottontail slips were much more conducive to goshawks than any other species. The slips were often close to holes/rocks and up hill. I hawked four days and got maybe a dozen slips and put three in the bag, a number for which I'm eternally grateful. The game numbers may have been low, but the country made up for it, it was a spiritual experience for me. Hawking remote juniper and sage covered ridges with friends, old and new, who have traveled across the country and the world with the common goal made this meet very special. I think the fact that rabbits were not just popping up all over the place, and that you really had to work for a slip, and your bird really had to work for a catch made everyone appreciate the game that was taken much more. There was none of the blood lust that can sometimes over shadow what is truly important in this lifestyle. As you can tell, I had a freaking great time!

I'm with you Paul.

It may not have been the best organized meet, but the people and country made it special.

Heatherg
11-28-2011, 10:32 AM

EXACTLY!!!! clappclappclapp Well said and I TOTALLY agree :)

goshawkr
11-28-2011, 03:13 PM

One thing I kept doing when I was out hawking with people was to look around some and say "If we dont see any game, who cares! The scenery is worth the walk!"

I dont think its exactly fair to say that there was none of the blood lust, but those who had it and wanted to exercise it paid the price in a lot of worn out shoe leather.

goshawkr
11-28-2011, 04:00 PM
I must agree with the overall sentiment of having a fantastic time. I have attended many state meets, and one other NAFA meet, and this was by far the most fun I have ever had at a falconry social funciton, bar none!

I had a list of folks I wanted to finally meet in person, and got to most of them. I do still owe UKRoper a pint of beer in gratitude for the DVD you had made for me. I tried to track you down several times but was unable to.

Chris, I really enjoyed the NAFEX banquet. Having hosted such events myself several times, I know they are not easy to put together. Somehow I even ended up at a fantastic table with great conversation (I suspect they were all great tables.....) Ken, when you gave Cameron that Maryland pin you made his night.

I had a huge setback when I went to fly and discovered that my reciever was not functional. Ally, thanks very much for the allowing the use of yours, and helping me find a kill for Angel.

Paul also saved my bacon Wednesday afternoon when he allowed my son and I to tag along and watch him fly his Barbary after the merlin flight we had planned to go out on was canceled because the merlin's falconer was tied up in trying to complete the foxhunt.

Late Thursday I got some very bad news from Simone that the Sky Trial was canceled due to a lack of participants. I had several family members who were planning to attend, some of whom were driving a few hours just to see it. After stewing over the delima I realized Friday morning it shouldnt be hard to find a few longwingers that would be willing to put on some training flights for an audience, so I ran over to the meet hotel and pulled something together.

Thanks very much Fred, for putting on the show along with (Rick??). You made Cameron's day by letting you help him with the jack you flew. I was pretty busy explaining what was going on to the family that came to see, but they were all very impressed with the show. I wasnt able to stay for the whole thing, but it was pretty cool to see two sage grouse get up under a jerkin that was on a training flight at bagged game.

And I am not sure if I should be thanking everyone who was encouraging my son to play around with a merlin or not. :eek: From the day we arrived Cameron was chattering about getting his own license and his own hawk.

Ally
11-28-2011, 04:29 PM
The available game wasn't great...and when we did find it, there was no easy slip. The one we had that SHOULD have been a piece of cake (Thanks Krys and crew for finding that bunny under the pallet) my young redtail got the bejeezus scared out of her by 8 or 9 people standing in a semi circle around her all yelling "HO HO HO!" when the rabbit was flushed. :eek: Silly bird.

Regardless, I had more fun than I could have hoped for. And Geoff, it was an exchange. It was a pleasure watching Angel fly...although I think she found her own kill and we had nothing to do with it!

Thanks everyone again for a fantastic time.

Oh, and Rich(Lowachi), congratulations again on the award! Well-deserved!

goshawkr
11-28-2011, 04:42 PM
And Geoff, it was an exchange. It was a pleasure watching Angel fly...although I think she found her own kill and we had nothing to do with it!

Possibly, but thanks anyway. :D

austringer84078
11-28-2011, 08:06 PM
I can't tell you what a relief it is to log in here and see that everyone had a good time at the Meet. We've never had game populations this low at a Meet here. We've never had such crappy weather the week of Thanksgiving any year. Sheesh! I spent most of my time tracking down registration swag or scrounging backup speaker systems or dozens of other little things. Maybe I can get out and hawk a little more next time.

Thanks,
Mark

goshawkr
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
I can't tell you what a relief it is to log in here and see that everyone had a good time at the Meet. We've never had game populations this low at a Meet here. We've never had such crappy weather the week of Thanksgiving any year. Sheesh! I spent most of my time tracking down registration swag or scrounging backup speaker systems or dozens of other little things. Maybe I can get out and hawk a little more next time.

Thanks,
Mark

Hey Mark.

The weather was fine, although I was anxious for the fog to clear so my pals old and new could see why Vernal is so scenic. And I do recall some Thanksgivings I have spent in Vernal with much worse weather, although they were a while ago. One in the Early 90s it was so cold every time I drew a breath outdoors my lungs screamed "DONT do that again."

I think there was certainly some room for improvement (as there always is), but I think you did a fantasic job putting on the meet. Thank you for all your efforts. I do have some feedback to send you privately.

Geoff

Lowachi
11-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey Mark

I think there was certainly some room for improvement (as there always is), but I think you did a fantasic job putting on the meet. Thank you for all your efforts. I do have some feedback to send you privately.

Geoff

I have to agree. thumbsupp Thanks! It's a huge amount of work just doing a portion of a meet, let alone the whole thing. Thanks for all your efforts.

goshawkr
11-29-2011, 01:20 PM
I joined NAFA in 1982,went to 3 meets back then,started going back in 2000 and been every year. This meet OUR 50TH YEAR was the WORST I have been to. Not the people not the game but the structure of the meet itself. This was something special 50 years that is why I came. I could not believe the shirt that I got how bland nothing there.Why didn't it have had the NAFA logo on the back with celebrating 50 years 1961-2011. Then the raffle :eek: got to write my name on my tickets frus) I missed the first night because they started at 6PM people are still getting back from hunting.No body did there home work! And the grand finally our banquet in a lounge WTF table for 2!! How pathetic is thatconfusedd. I drove 1500 miles for this and I'm so disappointed there was nothing special to show we made it 50 years...how sad. Sorry for therantt I'm done.

Chris

Chris,

I think this post of yours is shameful.

Sure, there were problems with the way the volonteer set up the meet. There is always room for improvement. But griping in public in this manner is not constructive, and does not help make the situation better. Tell you what - since you can do such a great job, why dont YOU take the hot seat and plan the next NAFA meet. Or for that matter, maybe you should be the meet chairman from now on. We will just let you run them all and see how much fun it is.

Did you notice, BTW, that after the first night the raffles were later in the evening? THAT is what happens when your consrtuctive. I pulled the meet chairman and the raffle chair asside and pointed out that the start time for the raffle didnt allow people to get back in from hunting if they were flying until dark, and they changed it. No bitchin, no griping, just casually and constructively pointing out how things could be improved.

I liked the way the shirts, hats, and mugs all tied together in a nice simple design.

Funny, you say this was the worst meet you ever attended when many have said it was the best. Isnt there a saying about that somewhere....

BestBeagler
11-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Chris,

Sure, there were problems with the way the volonteer set up the meet. There is always room for improvement. But griping in public in this manner is not constructive, and does not help make the situation better. Tell you what - since you can do such a great job, why dont YOU take the hot seat and plan the next NAFA meet. Or for that matter, maybe you should be the meet chairman from now on. We will just let you run them all and see how much fun it is.

Did you notice, BTW, that after the first night the raffles were later in the evening? THAT is what happens when your consrtuctive. I pulled the meet chairman and the raffle chair asside and pointed out that the start time for the raffle didnt allow people to get back in from hunting if they were flying until dark, and they changed it. No bitchin, no griping, just casually and constructively pointing out how things could be improved.

I liked the way the shirts, hats, and mugs all tied together in a nice simple design.

Funny, you say this was the worst meet you ever attended when many have said it was the best. Isnt there a saying about that somewhere....

I think he should be entitled to his oppinion without being told he's "shameful" don't you? He thought it sucked so what? I thought the last NAFA meet in KS sucked and that was my first one I ever went to. I had fun and met some cool people but I was NOT impressed with the meet in the least... Now you can give the reasons why it sucked and I can understand them but it still won't change my mind of how I felt on the matter.

COMEAUX
11-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Chris,

Geoff,

I really don't CARE what you think...PERIOD!

Chris

austringer84078
11-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Sure, there were problems...pointing out how things could be improved.

Not a problem Geoff. I'm extremely glad the majority of people had a good time and I don't post this as a comlaint myself but to simply explain a little.

I'm glad to hear the problems people had. We can't fix it if we don't know what's broke. All criticism is valid and I knew there were people that weren't happy. At one point, people were leaving the hotel and thanked me. I said, see ya next time. One guy in the group said, I hope not. That's fine. Only an idiot would think he could please everyone at an event like this especially when that person had never done this before. Before it started, Larry Dickerson told me to relax, that people were coming to hawk and see old friends not necessarily for me to entertain them. He was right.

There were a lot of things I would do differently as well. I did have a few mandates I had to meet which caused a number of things to be less than what I had hoped. I was told the Meets lose money for NAFA and that had to stop. Our Meet was in the black.

For example, T-Shirts, as mentioned above. Personally, I didn't even want to have them because sizing is a hassle and the budget I had to work with, $10 same as last year, meant a thinner material and single color printing. If we could sell them for $35 and get a thick material with multi color printing it would have been better but, who pays that for a t-shirt?

We were writing names on tickets so people didn't have to be present to win. Next time a better method might be to have a number associated with the person's name tag and have them write that number which is only a lesser hassle. The alternative is twin tickets, call a number and if you aren't there, can't hear or don't pay attention, we draw someone else's ticket.

We only had one classroom available so it limited the number of lectures we could have which wasn't a problem initially because I had trouble getting people to speak at all. Then, there was the lounge / Banquet. Some people pulled tables together. Frankly, because of our lack of facilities, I don't know why NAFA keeps coming back to Vernal. We don't have a hotel with convention facilities so it means, Meet hotel here, classes there, (and in the past vendors somewhere else). There isn't a good solution to that other than choosing a bigger city, then everyone gets to spend all their time getting permission to hunt private land.

Lastly, my biggest dissappointment was the Sky Trials/Demonstration flights. If people wanted to make a difference that would have been a good spot. The only person that volunteered to fly was Fred Seaman. Thanks Fred, whereever you are. There were a lot of dissappointed people who came from England, Belgium and other places that didn't get the chance to see any flights and were really looking forward to the event.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear any suggestions for improvement. I'll pass them on to the next Utah Meet Chair. :)

goshawkr
11-29-2011, 02:48 PM
I think he should be entitled to his oppinion without being told he's "shameful" don't you? He thought it sucked so what? I thought the last NAFA meet in KS sucked and that was my first one I ever went to. I had fun and met some cool people but I was NOT impressed with the meet in the least... Now you can give the reasons why it sucked and I can understand them but it still won't change my mind of how I felt on the matter.

Its one thing to be constructively critical - but I dont think he was doing that. Sure, he is welcome to think the meet sucked.

goshawkr
11-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Geoff,

I really don't CARE what you think...PERIOD!

Chris

Didnt think you would - but it was worth a try anyway.....

Heatherg
11-29-2011, 04:29 PM
I think I said it on my thread...but plain and simple....This meet was probably the best that I have been too....not for the hunting....not for the presentations or banquet or any of the other stuff...but simply for the people and commraderie!!!! I cant imagine trying to please NAFA with budget restraints, and please a bunch of falconers too.....that is truely a no win situation. EVERYONE finds something to b*#ch about....There are always thing that could be done better, but I think what people forget is that laughs and good times that they did have.....if it was truely that bad...they could have left, and some people did....big deal!.....I am soooo thankful for an opportunity to see people that I had not seen in a while (some a very long time) and meet great new friends!!!
For the people that have ideas or suggestions....im sure that the people involved with next years meet would love to hear from you, and more than that would love the extra hands.....so here is you opportunity to step up and makes things better for the next time around....its very easy to sit back and watch everyone do the work and b*#ch about how its done wrong.....its much harder to step up and make the situation better....

Thank you MARK!!!!! and all those that helped at the meet....it gave me the opportunity to hunt, catch game and be with great people in a beautiful place!!....not much else I can ask for!!!

JRedig
11-29-2011, 04:31 PM
They say life is what you make of it.;)

Thank you Mark and the rest of the meet people who put everything together. You'll just be that much better at it in 4 years!:D

gohawking
11-29-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks,
Mark
When you are the meet chair you don't get much time to go hawking.

Ally
11-29-2011, 08:16 PM
They say life is what you make of it.;)

Thank you Mark and the rest of the meet people who put everything together. You'll just be that much better at it in 4 years!:D

Amen to that.

Heather, you said it too.

I couldn't imagine trying to organize all the work that goes into a Meet. I had the best time I could imagine having, and like Heather, it wasn't for the hunting or the banquet/raffles, it was for the awesome people. Thanks everyone :) clappclappclappclapp

ukroper
11-29-2011, 08:26 PM
EXACTLY!!!! clappclappclapp Well said and I TOTALLY agree :)

I think I said it on my thread...but plain and simple....This meet was probably the best that I have been too....not for the hunting....not for the presentations or banquet or any of the other stuff...but simply for the people and commraderie!!!! I cant imagine trying to please NAFA with budget restraints, and please a bunch of falconers too.....that is truely a no win situation. EVERYONE finds something to b*#ch about....There are always thing that could be done better, but I think what people forget is that laughs and good times that they did have.....if it was truely that bad...they could have left, and some people did....big deal!.....I am soooo thankful for an opportunity to see people that I had not seen in a while (some a very long time) and meet great new friends!!!
For the people that have ideas or suggestions....im sure that the people involved with next years meet would love to hear from you, and more than that would love the extra hands.....so here is you opportunity to step up and makes things better for the next time around....its very easy to sit back and watch everyone do the work and b*#ch about how its done wrong.....its much harder to step up and make the situation better....

Thank you MARK!!!!! and all those that helped at the meet....it gave me the opportunity to hunt, catch game and be with great people in a beautiful place!!....not much else I can ask for!!!

Amen to that.

Heather, you said it too.

I couldn't imagine trying to organize all the work that goes into a Meet. I had the best time I could imagine having, and like Heather, it wasn't for the hunting or the banquet/raffles, it was for the awesome people. Thanks everyone :) clappclappclappclapp

Ditto...
And Ally we almost met ,3 times!!!..but nobody thought to introduce us!!!!!....

Dirthawking
11-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Ditto...
And Ally we almost met ,3 times!!!..but nobody thought to introduce us!!!!!....

No! We all knew better! toungeout

ukroper
11-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Hey,...that did actually did cross my mind..even Guy noticed!!...usually get introed to everyone....oh well,the gals loss....:Dconfuseddconfusedd:D

FredFogg
11-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Folks, if you have a complaint about the NAFA meet, I would suggest you contact Ralph Rogers and give him suggestions as he is next years Meet Chairman and I am sure Ralph wants to put on the best meet possible in Kearney, Nebraska.

Personally, I go to the NAFA meets every other year as that is the only way I can afford it. Each meet has been different and none of them were without problems. But what do you expect? The entire meet is done by volunteers, no one is getting paid. If you think a meet needs this or that, then volunteer and make it happen. Period!

ukroper
11-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Jeeze Foggy,..i only wanted an intro to her..not marriage..but i will be sure to contact Mr.Rodgers about it if she intends to attend next year...jeeze..chill out Foggy baby....xxx

Lowachi
11-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Jeeze Foggy,..i only wanted an intro to her..not marriage..but i will be sure to contact Mr.Rodgers about it if she intends to attend next year...jeeze..chill out Foggy baby....xxx

Maybe your friendly Gate Warden could be of assistance? For a small fee...;)

Ally
11-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, next year! If I can make it, anyway...I have an apprentice friend who's banging her head against the wall for not going this year...its a 16.5 hour drive. We can do that in a day! (So hopefully we'll see you there)

Oh and Geoff...nice avatar...looks kinda familiar :P

Heatherg
11-29-2011, 09:54 PM
yes you can do it in one day....I expect to see you there!!!! No excuses!

Lowachi
11-29-2011, 11:24 PM
yes you can do it in one day....I expect to see you there!!!! No excuses!

depends on your driving partner, doesn't it Heather.....;)

goshawkr
11-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Oh and Geoff...nice avatar...looks kinda familiar :P

Thanks! If you like it, I might be able to talk the photographer who took that into getting some photos to you.

:D

ukroper
11-30-2011, 02:53 AM
:D..Hey,i do 4000 miles!!!..be there..or be square..:D
Rich,the usual feebeeer

americansharpy
11-30-2011, 07:50 PM
The Presentations were top-notch! Does anyone have Manny Carrasco's email address... I met him again at the meet and owe him some videos... Thanks

frootdog
11-30-2011, 08:08 PM
The Presentations were top-notch! Does anyone have Manny Carrasco's email address... I met him again at the meet and owe him some videos... Thanks

PM sent

calebstroh
12-01-2011, 10:14 PM
It was truly my pleasure to meet such a varied and jovial bunch of falconers. Thanks everyone!
I saw some fantastic flights with some outstanding birds, and had a great time rubbing elbows, listening to instructional talks, and just being in the presence of so many beautiful raptors.
Again, thanks to NAFA and the Utah folks for helping put on this top-notch event.

Caleb

michaelberan
12-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Again, thanks to NAFA and the Utah folks for helping put on this top-notch event.
Caleb

Thank you Caleb, for stepping up and volunteering your time, energy and effort, in Kent's famous words, "You are NAFA" and that statement rings true for every person that reads them!

Even though you bought into the "evil" empire, are my strongest competition and mess up a few of my accounts every year, I still really appreciate you taking an active role in NAFA and serving on the meet committee.

Shehawker
12-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Anyone else still feel like they are recovering from NAFA week? Loved putting faces to names, names to faces, and meeting so many new people. Had a great time but next meet all I want to have to worry about is flying birds.

Did anyone record Steve Layman and Lyn Oliphant talks? I had to miss those

-missy

Lowachi
12-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Anyone else still feel like they are recovering from NAFA week? Loved putting faces to names, names to faces, and meeting so many new people. Had a great time but next meet all I want to have to worry about is flying birds.

Did anyone record Steve Layman and Lyn Oliphant talks? I had to miss those

-missy

Ya did good. Recovering from Bronchitis myself. If you've never been to Kearney, you'll like it!

mainefalconer
12-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Missy,

The night that Steve and Lynn spoke, there was a dude in the front row who diligently filmed the entire thing. President Dickerson made mention in an email this morning of possibly getting that footage linked to the NAFA website at some point, which would suggest that someone is "on the job" of sorting that out. I hope it happens. Both talks were very good, and well worth hearing again. Although the MOST interesting talk that was given last week was the one that Steve Layman presented earlier in the week, on the incredible research that he has been doing on aspergillosis. REALLY amazing stuff. I hope that the results get published soon, so that folks can start actually saving their birds from asper.

Shehawker
12-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Hope they can get those up I was able to get to steve first talk, awsome stuff! Here is a news cast done by one of the local stations, featuring Rouge's jackrabbit catch. http://youtu.be/QYkWi8FfwKo

Heatherg
12-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Wow!!! way to go Barbara and Sue!!! :) and the rest of the folks on there good job!
I was wondering who caught the other jack??? Now I know :)

Lowachi
12-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Glad I got ta see this. Thanks Missy, and Nice flight!!!

mainefalconer
12-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Way to go Missy.... Looks like you had the only "real" flight on there. ;)

STait
12-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Nice video and Great flight Missy.

Ally
12-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Excellent video, thanks for posting that. Good to see lots of familiar faces presenting a positive spin on falconry for the public.
Oh and, congrats Missy and Rogue! That's so awesome that it was caught on film!

Shehawker
12-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Another NAFA video filmed at the same time as the last but from a different news crew, too much me time on the camera but I like how it all turned out.
http://www.ayltv.com/hdepisode.html Falconry stuff starts at 18:47. Good job guys!

Lowachi
12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
works. Yq have a nice camera presence.

Shehawker
12-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks! Was stoked that she caught something with a camera present