PDA

View Full Version : NAFA on KSL Outdoors

DLemieux
12-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Footage from the Vernal meet. A good piece with good footage. I only cringed a couple times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYkWi8FfwKo&feature=share

UTFalconer
12-07-2011, 06:59 PM
"Cringed"? Over a dead rabbit?

mainefalconer
12-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Nope..... Darren doesn't have a problem with dead rabbits (or hares). I suspect that he wasn't particularly thrilled to see a fellow falconer tossing a hindered pigeon under a falcon in front of a camera. That's the sort of shit that is eventually going to get all of us into a world of trouble with litigation from crybabies and bleeding hearts. Mark my words.

Dirthawking
12-07-2011, 08:13 PM
And here I thought it was because of the silly looking idiotic in the beginning.

falcon56
12-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Nope..... Darren doesn't have a problem with dead rabbits (or hares). I suspect that he wasn't particularly thrilled to see a fellow falconer tossing a hindered pigeon under a falcon in front of a camera. That's the sort of shit that is eventually going to get all of us into a world of trouble with litigation from crybabies and bleeding hearts. Mark my words.

9 out of 10 people watching this from their living room couch wouldn't recognize something a bit off with the pigeon. The screaming rabbit could definitely create some negativity.

canvibe
12-07-2011, 10:01 PM
9 out of 10 people watching this from their living room couch wouldn't recognize something a bit off with the pigeon. The screaming rabbit could definitely create some negativity.

I agree regarding the pigeon, the screaming rabbit is just reality, it is what it is.

UTFalconer
12-07-2011, 10:10 PM
The way these shots were taken, only a fellow falconer would know the pigeon was hindered... If the camera focused more on the pigeon for a longer duration, I would certainly agree with you. In this short video, my concern would be more for the screaming rabbit than anything.

sharptail
12-07-2011, 10:23 PM
The way these shots were taken, only a fellow falconer would know the pigeon was hindered... Perhaps, until some animal rights activist gets a hold of it and explains what really happened.

Not too great a falcon that didn't put the pigeon away on the first pass.

DLemieux
12-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't think most folks would have noticed that the pigeon was hindered but seeing it thrown for a falcon to catch is a part of falconry that the public does not need to be aware of. Especially if it's use is only going to be shown and not explained. I would imagine that most of the folks watching this show are hunters so a screaming hare wouldn't/shouldn't upset them but after seeing a pigeon thrown for a falcon some may wonder if the jack was released as well. They may even think that falconry is all about hiking around in nature and releasing game to try and replicate what would happen in the wild. I know this is a bit of a stretch but there are quite a few of what I call "Doop-dee-doos" out there (you know the type: missing quite a few brain cells or even a chromosome or two) who I wouldn't put it past them to make that kind of assumption.

Other than the pigeon the only other thing that I noticed that I kind of laughed at was the brit woman who stated that "falconry is all about taking a bird of prey and training it to take wild quarry".

UTFalconer
12-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Now for the record of the truth behind the video. The camera crew was supposed to show up at 7 am., they never showed up on time, and they called in late. I had to fly my tiercel peregrine before it got to late in the day, so I had to fly without them (which I was committed to). I had a really nice flight on a duck slip not to far from the hotel. Actually, it was a really nice duck flight, my bird skyed out.. He didn't catch a duck, but it was an impressive flight none the less. Come 10:00 the camera crew finally showed up. The guys who were going take the crew out for grouse later in the day ended up bailing on me. When asking around at the weathering yard for other long-wingers to tag a long with, not one of them would do it, nor would the dirt hawkers when they heard they were going to be on film. Luckily, an apprentice and another guy who are balloon training their brid volunteered for the job. They were both trying to take their birds off the ballon the same day, and said if no one else would do it I will step up to the plate. But, please find someone else first. They ened up having to do it. In both cases, it was the first time the birds ever stooped from a decent pitch off of the balloon and certainly the first time they killed something other than bait on the balloon. Your right, it wasn't great to see represting falconry, or a bird did a lousy stoop on a pigeon, or in a split second you saw a pigeon hindered. if you look real close, you would probably see a red balloon 1800' too. Next time, I would suggest you step up to the plate and volunteer your bird if you want to see something better. As for the two guys putting them self out there to fly their longwings on film, even though you didn't want to do it consering the circumstances, thank you for stepping up to the plate when no one else would.

UTFalconer
12-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Perhaps, until some animal rights activist gets a hold of it and explains what really happened.

Any falconry book would explain what sealing a pigeon is... all the activist would have to do is pull up any falconry book and read about it. Heck, they might even read about sewing falcons eyes shut, brail, and taking a bird down to weight what they may read as starving. Not to mention taking a baby hawk away from its mommy.

Not to great of a falcon for coming out of a 1200' stoop for the first time off the balloon. Man, get rid of that bird!!!!

James Idi
12-08-2011, 01:28 AM
/shrug

I thought it was a pretty good vid.

Certainly nothing to start hand-wringing over.

sharptail
12-08-2011, 02:04 AM
Any falconry book would explain what sealing a pigeon is... all the activist would have to do is pull up any falconry book and read about it. Heck, they might even read about sewing falcons eyes shut, brail, and taking a bird down to weight what they may read as starving. Not to mention taking a baby hawk away from its mommy.

Not to great of a falcon for coming out of a 1200' stoop for the first time off the balloon. Man, get rid of that bird!!!!Youtube is and has been crowded with sub par video on falconry, we surely don't need more.

Having to dig up falconry books and acutally read them just doesn't cut it in this internet age, video is where it is at. If anyone puts more out there in public view, it needs to be top quality, to not be a detriment to our sport and this in not top shelf. I am not concerned about performing for a film crew, no matter who set it up, or who was late and perhaps you shouldn't be either.

Dirthawking
12-08-2011, 10:18 AM
I can tell you that this film crew was shooting stuff almost all day in and out of the weathering yard. I was mic'ed up for almost an hour. I had to ask around to find other falconers for them to talk to. Most said a polite no thank you and went on their way.

UTFalconer
12-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Jeff, And you shouldn’t be too concerned about a pigeon either… but you are. You are concerned about a pigeon coming out of guys hand, heaven forbid they better change that practice at the Sky Trials. We better stop everyone at the gate with a camera, cause if that leeks were screwed!

Mario… Thank you sooo much for taking the time with the media! It was nice to know they were occupied while we were trying to find willing falconers to fly their birds. You also did a great job explaining falconry and what it is. Thanks again for your hard work and patience at the weathering yard. It was rather very difficult finding help of the film crew wasn’t it! Thank you to those folks to helped out!

idbirdman
12-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I thought it looked great Ryan. Thanks Stephen

Lowachi
12-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I can tell you that this film crew was shooting stuff almost all day in and out of the weathering yard. I was mic'ed up for almost an hour. I had to ask around to find other falconers for them to talk to. Most said a polite no thank you and went on their way.

it's part of yer noviciate..... after a couple times of being 'twisted',edited,& taken out of context, I choose to avoid the recording part of it if I can, and leave it to people with better "public speaking experience." Most of them would rather talk to someone with a bird on the fist, the more exotic the better. Unless you can edit for content, which is rare, you get what they want. I know hours of tape was editted and discarded,

All in all, for the general public, it was ok. the anti's will find something if they have to play it backwards. Paul, were you really the walrus???

sharptail
12-08-2011, 12:53 PM
They don't throw sealed pigeons at the sky trials.

UTFalconer
12-08-2011, 01:30 PM
They don't throw sealed pigeons at the sky trials.

Sure they do, However, it is usually the Wyoming guys trying to get their birds back cause they didn’t train them to the lure.toungeout

sharptail
12-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Sure they do, However, it is usually the Wyoming guys trying to get their birds back cause they didn’t train them to the lure.toungeoutOh, have they changed the rules away from no live lures? Unfortunately, the sky trials has become more of a circus spectical than than a legitimate trials. I remember bird fanciers(can't really call them falconers) causing eagles to bate for exibition, while a contenders falcon almost left the county. Costume characters parading redtails. Men dressed in bear hides. Women in indian head dress and buckskin, who didn't seem to realize that this a longwing event. Contestant's falcons catching pigeons within a few feet of the reach of a pet owl on the lawn. Pigeon released from a vehical as a contestant falcon was mounting. The Utah Sky Trials should not be used as a standard for what should happen.

aerorichy
12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Could anyone tell me what make the bag was the lad was wearing with orange on it please?

Great video thankyou for posting

Dirthawking
12-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Darren, what else made you cringe?

goshawkr
12-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Perhaps, until some animal rights activist gets a hold of it and explains what really happened.

Jeff,

With all due respect your a more than little delusional. I hope you dont take such offense to that statement that you stopped reading.

There is one, perhaps two, states that have a more active Animal Rights population than Washington (CA, possibly NY), especially if counted on a per capita basis. I used to watch these guys very close, but had to back off some because my pespective was getting shot to hell.

Anyway, having watched these guys operate, including watching their communications from the inside, I can absolutely assure you that the facts dont matter on whit. At least, that is, if your version of how to interpert the facts is different from theirs. They will peel apart footage like that, make up their own facts to describe it, and sell it as gospel truth to the public with a lot of sad music.

I think the video was fine. If your worried about ammo for an animal rights campaign, there is really no protection from that at all (not even completely avoiding videos alltogether). They will get the footage, even if they need to play the role of potential apprentice tagging along for a day in the field with hidden camera's and mic's and rolling tape.

Even with mediocre or bad videos out there, it helps to counter the AR message before it even comes by sparking the interest amoung people who think its cool that may do a little research and come away thinking falconry is neato.

calebstroh
12-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Could anyone tell me what make the bag was the lad was wearing with orange on it please?

Great video thank you for posting

That is a game bag made by Wing Works Vest Co.

You can find more information about them by visiting their website at:

http://wingworks.biz/ (http://wingworks.biz/)

I've found them to be a very high quality hunting bag, but they are made more for upland bird gun hunters than falconry. However, rather than have two game bags I just use the Wing Works for all my hunting/falconry. This way I don’t leave my license in one or the other, etc.

It fits well and has many compartments and features that many “falconry” vests do not.

It has its pluses/minuses for falconry only though. First and foremost, I wish more of the larger pocket areas had zippers.

They also come in tan ONLY, but I opted for the orange for safety purposes. They can be customized on their website to each individual’s needs.

Caleb

DLemieux
12-08-2011, 03:50 PM
It was mainly that. The other thing wasn't so much a cringe as just a funny statement that I mentioned at the end of my second post. Post #9.

Just to be clear. The use of a pigeon isn't so bad as long as it is in the right context. This is a show about hunting with birds of prey so the use of a pigeon in this manner isn't going to be explained on camera the way it should. If a film crew shows up at a sky trials an explanation of the use of pigeons would need to be used to convey the story properly.

Ryan, I'm not sure if you were the official press liaison or not but either way good job for stepping up to the plate. I imagine it is a responsibility that not many would like to take on. Anyone that steps in front of a camera to speak about falconry (whether they like it or not) is speaking for falconers everywhere and if it's at a NAFA meet then they are speaking for all NAFA members. The best interests of the organization must be kept in mind.

In the grand scheme of things it really isn't that big of a deal. It's just one of many things that we should all keep in mind if ever in the public eye.

BTW Mario, you were great in front of the camera. Very well spoken.

sharptail
12-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Jeff,

With all due respect your a more than little delusional. I hope you dont take such offense to that statement that you stopped reading.

There is one, perhaps two, states that have a more active Animal Rights population than Washington (CA, possibly NY), especially if counted on a per capita basis. I used to watch these guys very close, but had to back off some because my pespective was getting shot to hell.

Anyway, having watched these guys operate, including watching their communications from the inside, I can absolutely assure you that the facts dont matter on whit. At least, that is, if your version of how to interpert the facts is different from theirs. They will peel apart footage like that, make up their own facts to describe it, and sell it as gospel truth to the public with a lot of sad music.
I think the video was fine. If your worried about ammo for an animal rights campaign, there is really no protection from that at all (not even completely avoiding videos alltogether). They will get the footage, even if they need to play the role of potential apprentice tagging along for a day in the field with hidden camera's and mic's and rolling tape.

Even with mediocre or bad videos out there, it helps to counter the AR message before it even comes by sparking the interest amoung people who think its cool that may do a little research and come away thinking falconry is neato.Hi Geoff,
I am sure that you are right... but then again I am delusional. I am quite sure they don't need our help in making there own video from our footage, but why help them out? Isn't Youtube available world wide and the viewing of bad video available to everyone that wants to take a shot, from anywhere?

I agree that proactive is great, as long as the video is up to snuff.

Shock
12-08-2011, 07:09 PM
If something is going to be taken out of context, then it will be no matter how much effort is made and if people are interested in the sport, they are eventually going to know when nature takes it's course and the word "predator-prey" relationship hits home.

mostly, i don't see a problem with the video. most of the demographics that are going to see it are either falconers or hunters themselves and denying them a video because some idiot might hit "dislike" on youtube doesn't really make sense to me.

aerorichy
12-08-2011, 08:09 PM
That is a game bag made by Wing Works Vest Co.

You can find more information about them by visiting their website at:

http://wingworks.biz/ (http://wingworks.biz/)

I've found them to be a very high quality hunting bag, but they are made more for upland bird gun hunters than falconry. However, rather than have two game bags I just use the Wing Works for all my hunting/falconry. This way I don’t leave my license in one or the other, etc.

It fits well and has many compartments and features that many “falconry” vests do not.

It has its pluses/minuses for falconry only though. First and foremost, I wish more of the larger pocket areas had zippers.

They also come in tan ONLY, but I opted for the orange for safety purposes. They can be customized on their website to each individual’s needs.

Caleb

Thankyou for your Caleb it looked a nice bit of kit and shall visit the site!

Regards
Richy

goshawkr
12-08-2011, 10:11 PM
I am quite sure they don't need our help in making there own video from our footage, but why help them out?

You have a point there. However, I prefer to not cave to them. Just a personal judgement call there.

sharptail
12-09-2011, 12:13 AM
You have a point there. However, I prefer to not cave to them. Just a personal judgement call there.Cave? I can be 'thick' but what do you mean? Cave how?

goshawkr
12-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Cave? I can be 'thick' but what do you mean? Cave how?

Sorry, I rushed that post off before reviewing it and didnt get the wording clear. You'd never know I am a professional writer by my posts, would you? :D

I meant give in to the preassure of the AR goons by letting them shape our decisions. Your prefered method of withhold as much information as possible from them is a valid approach. My personal preference is to just bloody their nose when the time comes.

sharptail
12-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Sorry, I rushed that post off before reviewing it and didnt get the wording clear. You'd never know I am a professional writer by my posts, would you? :D

I meant give in to the preassure of the AR goons by letting them shape our decisions. Your prefered method of withhold as much information as possible from them is a valid approach. My personal preference is to just bloody their nose when the time comes.That is not quite my perfered method...Clean video limits there options. They have to dig deep and work hard for shots of sealed bird flights if we don't post it. There is no way to defend against seeing sealed bird flights, to the sympathetic human heart...the bagged bird doesn't have a chance, hence the 'underdog syndrome'. Half of our society lives by 'feelings' and not by reason. No falconer should try to explain the use of sealed bags to those that mainly 'feel' as a way of life, we will loose.

Show falconry in it's best and trueist form and take all comers 'HEAD ON'! Don't make me EVEN TRY to defend the use of sealed bags if you want to see falconry survive into the future!

UTFalconer
12-09-2011, 12:01 PM
First of all, the video was a good video. You are making it out to be worse than it really is, and only you as a falconer would catch on it’s a sealed pigeon. It’s time to get over it. What is killing falconry; all this fighting, bickering and arrogance. So you bring up a good point, maybe we all should be careful next time with what is aired on TV or YouTube. But to belittle and attack a fellow falconer over it? A young falconer and an apprentice none the less? All you are doing is causing these young kid to hate falconers, hate NAFA, and all of the association within. What happened to tolerance and showing the way with leadership? Is this a lost art (rhetorical). Are we that arrogant to think unless someone does it the way we do it, they shouldn’t even try or try to make difference? I’m here to tell you, its attitudes like this that is killing falconry, fighting within. We fight over speculation or the possibilities that never come to pass, and we never reflect back on the damage our words have done. And trust me, they have done some damage! The falconry community can only be group strong and we are not that big to begin with. What this arrogance and belittling does is ostracize individuals with hate and anger, and we need these young guys coming into the sport. So you have an opinion, is it really worth belittling and pushing one more person out or to the edge? Falconry is a small group in comparison, and we need every person to stand up for you and its rights. We don’t need this BS, and I am ashamed right now to be associated with the 2% who insist on being dinks on this forum by pushing their reprimands. Just because my falconry is one style, my mews have certain birds in them, I run this type of dog doesn’t make me better than you, or that you should fly birds the same way I do. So what if a guy may have a “legal” make shift mews, flies a bird downtown with a creance made of fishing line. I may not do it that way, but if that is what he wishes to do, Hey it’s his right. So what, he has a different idea. And if your so worried about a sealed pigeon on film, then don’t ever fly a sealed pigeon, period! You never know who is watching, filming, or pretending to be a falconer for the anti’s. You’re not going to BS me by saying you have never hindered a pigeon when flying a longwing here in the States, cause I know better. You are just as guilty. You’re not going to BS and me and say your birds have always had the perfect flight, the perfect stoop and the perfect strike. We have all done things that can hinder falconry at one point or another, but so what, we learn from them. We learn from them as long as we have a teacher. I ask myself often, why can’t we be more tolerant of other falconers. Since when did we start airing others laundry for the public to criticize… do we really need to start airing laundry over a good video that only a few falconers would even notice. Is this really what falconry has come to?

DLemieux
12-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Ryan, I just skimmed over the entire thread again and maybe I missed it but I couldn't find any statement where someone was "belittling and attacking" a fellow falconer. The only possible instance (that was done in jest I believe) was from you making a dig at Wyoming falconers for not training their falcons to the lure and needing baggies to retrieve them. I think what some here are trying to say is to be careful when you know you are being filmed.

I am also pretty sure nobody here claimed to never have used a sealed pigeon. Yes, it's true that you never know who is watching or possibly filming but the difference is when you definitely do know you are being filmed that maybe the use of a baggie might not be the best idea.

UTFalconer
12-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Ryan, I just skimmed over the entire thread again and maybe I missed it but I couldn't find any statement where someone was "belittling and attacking" a fellow falconer. The only possible instance (that was done in jest I believe) was from you making a dig at Wyoming falconers for not training their falcons to the lure and needing baggies to retrieve them. I think what some here are trying to say is to be careful when you know you are being filmed.

I am also pretty sure nobody here claimed to never have used a sealed pigeon. Yes, it's true that you never know who is watching or possibly filming but the difference is when you definitely do know you are being filmed that maybe the use of a baggie might not be the best idea.
That's because some of the post were deleted... However, read about the sky Trials again, that's still there. Your right, I shouldn't have brought up the lure, but it was in good humor. My apologies.

Squirrelhawkin
12-09-2011, 01:25 PM
and only you as a falconer would catch on it’s a sealed pigeon.

Not so sure about that.

mainefalconer
12-09-2011, 03:04 PM
I've been biting my tongue so hard here, that I'm surprised it's still attached....

I'm with Nick on this one... there are plenty of pigeon racers and bird-watchers, and educated biologists/science students/etc., who would recognize that a "normal" pigeon doesn't behave that way.

Ryan, by belittling those of us who stand strongly for protecting the image of our sport, you're contributing to the fighting among us that you say is our biggest problem. Just as a bone-headed apprentice has the "right" to use fishing line as a creance, we (you and I) have a right to point out to that person what the problems are with doing so.

You say that we're airing the dirty laundry of others.... well, we don't even need to when they're so willing to air it themselves with the help of a news crew.

There's nothing wrong with demanding a certain level of practice from our fellow falconers. It may not be the BEST way to lift up our sport, but in some cases (like when the sponsor hasn't done the best job of insisting good practice and thoughtful approaches) many of us find it necessary.

That's one of the things that NAFEX is great for. Helping to educate those who need it, and also identifying and edifying those who are worthy of being lifted up as good examples.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not always the most diplomatic of voices when it comes to where I draw the line on certain things in this sport. I'm sure you could dig up all sorts of snide comments that I've made, but that's just me. Sometimes I'm a snarky little Irish prick with an attitude. And in the future, I should heed your words, and not be so hard on an apprentice, who genuinely may not know better..... maybe I should track down their sponsor and sling mud at him/her instead.

Maybe this whole thing is a good lesson to all of us, and we should exercise more caution in the future when deciding which folks to send out with the journalists.

UTFalconer
12-09-2011, 03:30 PM
I've been biting my tongue so hard here, that I'm surprised it's still attached....

I'm with Nick on this one... there are plenty of pigeon racers and bird-watchers, and educated biologists/science students/etc., who would recognize that a "normal" pigeon doesn't behave that way.

Ryan, by belittling those of us who stand strongly for protecting the image of our sport, you're contributing to the fighting among us that you say is our biggest problem. Just as a bone-headed apprentice has the "right" to use fishing line as a creance, we (you and I) have a right to point out to that person what the problems are with doing so.

You say that we're airing the dirty laundry of others.... well, we don't even need to when they're so willing to air it themselves with the help of a news crew.

There's nothing wrong with demanding a certain level of practice from our fellow falconers. It may not be the BEST way to lift up our sport, but in some cases (like when the sponsor hasn't done the best job of insisting good practice and thoughtful approaches) many of us find it necessary.

That's one of the things that NAFEX is great for. Helping to educate those who need it, and also identifying and edifying those who are worthy of being lifted up as good examples.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not always the most diplomatic of voices when it comes to where I draw the line on certain things in this sport. I'm sure you could dig up all sorts of snide comments that I've made, but that's just me. Sometimes I'm a snarky little Irish prick with an attitude. And in the future, I should heed your words, and not be so hard on an apprentice, who genuinely may not know better..... maybe I should track down their sponsor and sling mud at him/her instead.

Maybe this whole thing is a good lesson to all of us, and we should exercise more caution in the future when deciding which folks to send out with the journalists.
Then go the person and help them, perhaps in a private setting... No need to belittle them on public forum. We need to educate these guys, but not like this... Your right, I have my faults, and I apologize for that. But I gotta start somewhere.

scrumbrakk
12-12-2011, 02:11 AM
You know, it's funny. I was there with the crew being filmed (that's me with the other harris, and me swinging my legs on the tailgate) I feel like Mike Wizowsky from Monsters Inc. The very reason I didn't want to be interviewed or really be shown trying to fly my bird is because I've NEVER seen a SINGLE falconry bit where the poor guy being interviewed or flying his bird hasn't been COMPLETELY CRUCIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rarely have I seen such a bunch of overly critical buch of chumps in my life. I'd expect these kinds of negative comments on YouTube where jackasses go just to tear someone down that had the juevos big enough to put a video of themselves up; but to see the kind of negativity and nit-picking that goes on in here is really unnessecary. Caleb has been working with his new bird and I think has done an AMAZING job, I could only dream my first year of falconry was as good as his has been, his bird is still training and the reason it didn't bring the pigeon down on the first stoop is because it likes to go for the head for some reason. He's an awesome bird and and congrats and thanks are due to Caleb for volunteering to go on TV, I'm sure he had to know there were going to be some jackasses on here that were going to scorch him.

sharptail
12-12-2011, 01:33 PM
You know, it's funny. I was there with the crew being filmed (that's me with the other harris, and me swinging my legs on the tailgate) I feel like Mike Wizowsky from Monsters Inc. The very reason I didn't want to be interviewed or really be shown trying to fly my bird is because I've NEVER seen a SINGLE falconry bit where the poor guy being interviewed or flying his bird hasn't been COMPLETELY CRUCIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rarely have I seen such a bunch of overly critical buch of chumps in my life. I'd expect these kinds of negative comments on YouTube where jackasses go just to tear someone down that had the juevos big enough to put a video of themselves up; but to see the kind of negativity and nit-picking that goes on in here is really unnessecary. Caleb has been working with his new bird and I think has done an AMAZING job, I could only dream my first year of falconry was as good as his has been, his bird is still training and the reason it didn't bring the pigeon down on the first stoop is because it likes to go for the head for some reason. He's an awesome bird and and congrats and thanks are due to Caleb for volunteering to go on TV, I'm sure he had to know there were going to be some jackasses on here that were going to scorch him.Brian,
Your post has gone a long ways to change the issue. You act as if Caleb is the dammaged party here, he is not. All of falconry was dammaged at his hands and lack of good judgement. No one should post footage of sealed bags for public consumption, as any one piece could play a major part in an attack that results in the loss of legal falconry anywhere in the world.

I like Caleb from what I know of him on nafex. It is great that he is doing a good job with his new peregrine.

However, this is not the point. It is not important to me who made this mistake, only that it is not repeated. None of my posts were intended to be punitive to any individual. Any one else posting such garbage or being party to it, should be challanged. Unfortunately, there was no way to point it out before it was posted.

As far as sky trials go, I think that they can be great and I have attended and flown in a number of them. Unfortunately the last GRM trials I attended, needed some serious controls implimented. As an example, people should not be parading eagle owls around while falcons are being flown.

scrumbrakk
12-14-2011, 01:02 AM
I appreciate your response but I'm afraid I'd have to respectfully disagree. I understand your feelings on sealed or hindered pigeons being shown to the public. I just disagree that we need to worry about animal rights activists or their ilk. Pidgeons are not even considered a game animal or controled in any state that I'm aware of, and in most states considered a nuisance animal and not afforded any protection (quite the opposite actually). So sealing does no damage to the animal, I could see some issues coming down the pipe if we were breaking wings or cracking skulls before we served them up, someone somewhere would find that cruel and inhumane. But to simply put tape around their heads being called cruel won't hold water anywhere (except California and that's a whole other issue) The federal authorities in charge of regulating falconry are VERY, VERY aware of what goes on in training an falconry bird and if using a sealed pidgeon were a problem, it would have already been challenged. The animal right loonies aren't going to be happy until ALL hunting is ended regardless of the tool or method so to Hades with them or trying to appease them in any way. We shouldn't have to hide in any way, shape, or form what we do. If a guy showes up on TV hunting bagged rabbits and shows bloody hands on TV after helping dispatch said rabbit so what??? It's "the circle of life" (insert gospel choir from Lion King here) and it's real. Isn't that what TV's all about these days :D
So like I say there's my stance and I doubt anyone will change either of our opinions, I respect yours and I believe I understand where you're comming from, I just tend not to worry about the loonies out there that want to end all the things I find fun- like eating meat, and prefer to throw it in there face (like they do) but 16 years of military service would make Barney the purple dinosaur a grouchy a$$ and has done worse to me crazyy

scrumbrakk
12-14-2011, 01:05 AM
I just realized that's two Disney references in as many posts, I really need to watch more grown up movies or something!!!

Lowachi
12-14-2011, 02:05 AM
I just realized that's two Disney references in as many posts, I really need to watch more grown up movies or something!!!
thumbsupp I see your point(s). it;s a done deal. they'll get over it. learn & go on guys. This young man stepped up, when none else did, and gave it his best shot. Like I said before, the antis will find fault if they have to(and have) fabricate it! Support him for his efforts, or step up yourself. JMHO!

thegreendevil76
12-14-2011, 02:24 AM
As a non-falconer you can take this or leave it, but I haven't seen anything on here (or other Youtube videos) that is nearly as graphic as what you can see every day on any of the multitude of hunting programs on TV (including mainstream channels that have started hog hunting reality shows featuring hunting with dogs and slitting the throats of live pigs while the catch dogs are holding them down). I'm not sure why falconers have adopted such a clannish and secretive stance (bordering on paranoia), but it makes it seem like there is something to hide. To the average viewer falconry is pretty inoffensive by comparison.

The simple fact is that you will never appease the animal rights activists because you are engaged in hunting and are keeping an animal "captive" (don't jump on me, I'm just using their logic here). There are many positive arguments falconers can make to the general public about their role in raptor breeding and conservation that will offset any damage PETA can inflict.

Other hunting methods have seen something of a resurgence with the increased media exposure and are really no worse for wear when it comes to the animal rights crowd (they seem to have peaked and waned a bit). I can see the wisdom in keeping out of the limelight, but footage on aired on a program targeted (no pun intended) at hunters is pretty low risk and it reaches a group of people who are already sportsmen and might become dedicated practitioners of falconry.

Once you get people who are interested (and have made sure they are aware of the commitment required to become a falconer), that interest should be nurtured. I've seen a lot of people come onto this board with questions and they are sometimes met with derision for their lack of knowledge or experience.

I spent several years as a police field training officer and an academy instructor. I know how easily an experienced person can become frustrated with the "newbies", but you have to remind youself that you were at that stage once yourself and you will not help them grow if you make them shy about asking questions.

It was always my worst nightmare that I would have to bury one of my trainees because I failed to teach them something important about being a street cop. I would rather they asked a question, no matter how stupid, than for them to keep silent and try to come up with their own wrong answers.

Can you really blame the guy who uses monofiliment as a creance if no one takes the time to tell him the right way to do it? When you see someone doing that I will bet you good money that they have been discouraged in some way from asking questions or they have a sponsor that is too busy/inattentive to give them the right information.

Most of you guys have an encyclopedic knowledge of falconry, but if you don't come forward to help train the next generation of falconers then you abdicate your right to bitch about how they turn out.

Lowachi
12-14-2011, 02:27 AM
...Most of you guys have an encyclopedic knowledge of falconry, but if you don't come forward to help train the next generation of falconers then you abdicate your right to bitch about how they turn out.

clappamennn

goshawkr
12-14-2011, 01:13 PM
thumbsupp I see your point(s). it;s a done deal. they'll get over it. learn & go on guys. This young man stepped up, when none else did, and gave it his best shot. Like I said before, the antis will find fault if they have to(and have) fabricate it! Support him for his efforts, or step up yourself. JMHO!

This just needed to be resposted - entirely - word for word.

Ron Clarke
12-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Overall, that's a good video piece. Thanks to all who stepped up and participated.

The reality is the news media will never get everything right. There will always be errors or things that aren't exactly correct or complete. In this case, we're the only ones who will notice. And fear not, in this, as in most television reports on falconry, the "gee whiz" factor far overpowers any minor inaccuracies, and leaves a positive impression with viewers. Our birds are the best audiovisual aids on Earth. That ace in the hole will always play to our advantage. Viewers will remember the stunning images of healthy, gorgeous raptors, not a few seconds of a strange sound most non-hunters wouldn't even recognize as a squealing rabbit.

The antis and PETA types will always be out there and will always say whatever they want without regard to reality or truth from our perspective. We can't afford to focus too much energy on them, but we should keep our guard up and monitor what they're up to.

For most of my adult life, I've worked with reporters, editors, and public figures on how best to communicate with the public, through print and electronic media. If falconers would find it useful, I could look into organizing a media training workshop at a NAFA Meet or elsewhere to help people feel more comfortable standing in front of a camera and increase their chances of doing a superior job of delivering the messages they want to deliver. It's nothing secret or magic, but just a few hints followed can increase any speaker's effectiveness. We've got lots of good representatives of our sport wandering about thinking the last thing they want to do is talk to a reporter. I'd be happy to try to help increase the number of willing and effective communicators on behalf of falconry.

Anyone interested?

Sue Evans
07-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Other than the pigeon the only other thing that I noticed that I kind of laughed at was the brit woman who stated that "falconry is all about taking a bird of prey and training it to take wild quarry".

Darren

That was me, and unfortunately all our BOP are captive bred , we cannot take from the wild like you do - unfortunately. So it is a case of training!
Lures, dummy bunnies etc. I think cringe is rather a strong word to use, given this info. Maybe you should have asked me what I meant first, before adopting the 'cringe'.

I accept they do hunt naturally, perhaps I should have said they train us! :D

Sue

Sue Evans
07-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Overall, that's a good video piece. Thanks to all who stepped up and participated.

Anyone interested?

Good post Ron. Pity more people didn't step up and volunteer.

atb
Sue

Joan Marie
01-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Youtube is and has been crowded with sub par video on falconry, we surely don't need more.

Having to dig up falconry books and acutally read them just doesn't cut it in this internet age, video is where it is at. If anyone puts more out there in public view, it needs to be top quality, to not be a detriment to our sport and this in not top shelf. I am not concerned about performing for a film crew, no matter who set it up, or who was late and perhaps you shouldn't be either.

I stumbled on this old thread and your post caught my attention. During the time that I was a pre-apprentice as well as throughout my first year, typically I watched untold videos on anything having to do with the sport. Somewhere along the line I picked up some discretion on a whole lot of public media. My questions are these:

1. As a potential Sponsor, how can I better communicate these things to apprentices? Are there some incidents that have turned bad that I can use to illustrate?

2. Alabama regs just released falconers to do conservation programs as long as they speak on Falconry. Can you list some guidelines for those situations?

Thanks!

sharptail
01-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Hi Joan Marie,
A brief search did not turn up anything from the past but there are 2 major incidents that were very negitive. The first was video on U tube that showed a falconer's RT with a captured Jackrabbit. While the rabbit was still quite alive the falconer ripped a hind leg off and fed the hawk on it, in full view of the world. The second is a professional film made by Brian Gumble, depecting Golden Eagles hawking deer in eastern Europe. Gumble had duped a noted and distinguished falconer into filming a kill and using it for anti falconry propaganda. Both were in threads here on NAFEX. I am not alone in my view here and NAFA VP, Scott McNeff has also been outspoken on this issue. Someone that is better at doing searchs her on NAFEX should be able to turn up several threads on both of your questions. I hope others feel free to jump into these as well.

All the best

footbound
01-22-2014, 12:06 AM
Beyond the local 5th graders I feel to obligation to explain myself or falconry to anybody. Filming what we do does none of us any good. No one outside the sport deserves the sight of it. I even think twice about taking other falconers out. As a matter of fact I don't think we need to try to encourage new falconers. If a person wants to do it they will find it. I still can't bring myself to post a picture on here, among friends and fellow falconers! I don't mind airing my shortcomings as a falconer though.

Joan Marie
01-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks guys!