PDA

View Full Version : New Arab Hood

sakerjack
12-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Years ago Dennis Maynes made a hood for Sheik Zayeid, he then made me this exact copy for me about 2 years ago. Of all my 49 Moran hoods and my 65 others, this is my favourite hood I own. The Sheik used the original on his passage Saker for a dozen years before he died.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCN0088.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCN0087.jpg

I have been playing with this pattern for years and finally am pleased with the outcome. I will be offering it in a Bonded Fuzzy outside one color with off setting neck and top knot, as well as a much fancier Sewn tooled version. I love this hood, plenty of eye clearance and love the "Original" Arab Styling.
Thank you Dennis!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCN0086.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCN0085.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCN0084.jpg

canvibe
12-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Nice Hood Ken.
There's something about having the bounded fuzzy side out that I like, it just looks good. I wonder if heat branding a pattern to the fuzzy side would look neat.

California Native
12-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Hello Ken,

Are either of these hoods the original made by Dennis ? And were they originally blocked by him ?
Very nice..do you have a photo of either on a falcon.

Dan

sakerjack
12-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Hello Ken,

Are either of these hoods the original made by Dennis ? And were they originally blocked by him ?
Very nice..do you have a photo of either on a falcon.

Dan

Hello Dan, Dennis made the exact replica for me about 2 years ago. He sent about 100 hoods to the Middle east YEARS AGO and the Sheik used the one Dennis made for him for many years. Dennis blocked it on his Chinook blocks.
The Lite tan fuzzy one is made by me the other day for my female saker. It was blocked on a Chinook number 20. I will post photos of her with it on later today when I take her out to go hunting.

California Native
12-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Hello Dan, Dennis made the exact replica for me about 2 years ago. He sent about 100 hoods to the Middle east YEARS AGO and the Sheik used the one Dennis made for him for many years. Dennis blocked it on his Chinook blocks.
The Lite tan fuzzy one is made by me the other day for my female saker. It was blocked on a Chinook number 20. I will post photos of her with it on later today when I take her out to go hunting..

I will check back to see this hood on your falcon. I have some goat leather and would like to make an Arab style with the outside stitch and large seams used in some of the old traditional Arab hoods. Smooth side of the leather inside of course. Have you tried goat leather and know if it blocks well ?

Dan

sakerjack
12-20-2011, 11:31 AM

I will check back to see this hood on your falcon. I have some goat leather and would like to make an Arab style with the outside stitch and large seams used in some of the old traditional Arab hoods. Smooth side of the leather inside of course. Have you tried goat leather and know if it blocks well ?

Dan

Goat, I know for a fact many of the Arab hoods were made with it years ago still might use it. They don't usually block their hoods or didn't years ago. I block all my hoods and I am not sure how goat would mold when dry, HMM give it a whirl.

Lowachi
12-20-2011, 12:23 PM
it would depend on how the goat was tanned, of course. Might need a lil Super Sheen to stiffen it up. (from Tandy's)

sakerjack
12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
it would depend on how the goat was tanned, of course. Might need a lil Super Sheen to stiffen it up. (from Tandy's)

Thank you for this, you are far more a leather expert than me.. Good tip.

sakerjack
12-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Nice Hood Ken.
There's something about having the bounded fuzzy side out that I like, it just looks good. I wonder if heat branding a pattern to the fuzzy side would look neat.

Hello Greg I agree I love that look, that might look really cool with a hot pen..

Lowachi
12-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Hello Greg I agree I love that look, that might look really cool with a hot pen..

if yer wanna try that, can give ya a couple pointers, if you'd like of course.;)

sakerjack
12-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Nice Hood Ken.

Greg ,Lowachi is the guy you want to talk to about branding, his leather work is first class!!

canvibe
12-21-2011, 12:29 AM
if yer wanna try that, can give ya a couple pointers, if you'd like of course.;)

Rich, could you post some pictures of your leather work?
Not on this thread though, perhaps start a new one.

Lowachi
12-21-2011, 01:00 AM
got one... Rich B. Leatherwork/art work in the off topic section...5 pages

California Native
12-21-2011, 01:18 AM

Rich,

What is a hot pen ? Where would you buy one and what brand ?

Dan

Lowachi
12-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Rich,

What is a hot pen ? Where would you buy one and what brand ?

Dan

A soldering pen, my original came from Sears. Actually a woodburner also works. Mine were modified by a woodcarver that did life sized birds as well as miniatures- he chose to make his own equipment as opposed to buying the burners and tips that most other carvers use. Ya have to watch the heat or you'll burn thru the leather like butter.