PDA

View Full Version : micro Long wing sub forum

Chris L.
12-30-2011, 02:06 PM
What do the members think about a micro long wing section? It seems that there are a lot of micros being flown. I had this request from a member and wanted to know what others thought.

I think it is a good idea as the micro info can be better organized in there

Thoughts and/or input greatly appreciated.

Takasho
12-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Personally I see no need. And that's coming from a straight up kestrel hawker for the last 3 years. There aren't THAT many threads on merlins and kestrels and anything that is updated with any regularity is on either the front page or front page of the longwing section.

On the other hand, how hard would it be to do a test run? Leave it up for a month and see how much gets posted in there.

Pedioecetes
12-30-2011, 02:50 PM
I'd say, go for it.

PeteJ
12-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I guess it would be fine provided you could determine where the micro ends and big boys begin? For someone flying Gyrs, Peregrine, Gyr/Peregrines, Sakers, etc., a Barbary or Red-naped Shaheen tiercel would seem like a micro, particularly if it is hunting the same quarry as the Merlin might be. Tough call on where to make the split. Not to mention that a Barbary tiercel has bigger nads than some larger birds, and his owner might take it personally....are you acquainted with 'short guy syndrome'?
In all seriousness though....organization can be good sometimes.

BestBeagler
12-30-2011, 03:21 PM
If you want feedback than I would say “no”. I remember when the IFF started having a million sub-groups. I did not care for that really.

Tony James
12-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Chris,

if it suits you, go for it.

Me, I'm not that organised in my viewing, and simply click on 'New Posts'. If a topic looks interesting, I take a peep, never worrying what category it might be under.
I love gamehawking, as I love flying merlins, but I like to peep at a lot of other stuff too.
Can I really be the only disorganised falconer out here?:eek:

Keep up the good work,

and Happy New Year.

Tony.

goshawks00
12-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Me, I'm not that organised in my viewing, and simply click on 'New Posts'. If a topic looks interesting, I take a peep, never worrying what category it might be under.
I love gamehawking, as I love flying merlins, but I like to peep at a lot of other stuff too.
Can I really be the only disorganised falconer out here?:eek:

No Tony I am also of that flavor.beeer Not all threads are of interest to me , but I do look at more than shortwing stuff.

joekoz
12-30-2011, 05:50 PM
What do the members think about a micro long wing section? It seems that there are a lot of micros being flown. I had this request from a member and wanted to know what others thought.

Chris:

I for one think that this is an excellent idea. I share your perception regarding the increase in the number of micros being flown.

Pete's comment regarding where micros end and the big boys begin is a valid concern, but I think that forum members will initiate new threads based upon their definition of what constitues a micro.

One of the things that might help with where to draw the line between micros and big boys is how and where these long wings are flown.

When I, and I believe most think big boy long wings it conjures up BIG SKY/WIDE OPENED area flights on Ducks, Huns, Grouse and Pheasants.

Many of us who don't have access to this type of environment and game, but want to fly a long wing have come to understand that we can realize the dream by flying Kestrels and Merlins on Sparrows and Starlings in more confined areas.

I think that with a separate section, you will see more threads like the one that Sandy has established where she is sharing her experiences car hawking Starlings with her Kestrel.

I'm flying a Merlin this year. She is my 1st "Long Wing" and I simply love this bird. However, although I have started several threads on steps/activities leading up to getting her, I haven't posted anything since getting her. Why, simply because having only flown Red Tails prior to getting her, my experience so far handling this little gem for me has been humbling. That said, so far it has been an incredible learning experience, and I find myself constantly searching for solutions that will work for both me and my little gem.

On a micro centric forum section I probably would have already started a thread on a solution I have come up with to get her on game, in an environment that I can manage without having someone else out with me when I fly her. I live in an area of New Jersey where there are many very upscale horse properties, and a close friend and neighbor whose property on which I have been flying my Merlin outside, has been kind enough to let me have after hour access to his very large indoor riding rink. Since first experiencing how well this has worked for me, I have place flyers at a number of Tack Shops in the area alerting other horse property owners to "The Deal". Let me fly my Merlin in your In-Door Riding Facility, and she will teach those pesty Sparrows & Starlings that have taken up residence to stay out of your facility.

Tony James
12-30-2011, 06:32 PM
No Tony I am also of that flavor.beeer Not all threads are of interest to me , but I do look at more than shortwing stuff.

Aha! I'm not alone after all.amennn

Happy New Year,

Tony.

gos'n
12-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Probably no reason to do this, except that the idea of kestrels being proper longwings irratates me for some reason. There are probably more important things for me to worry about. :)

Sandie_Morehead
12-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Probably no reason to do this, except that the idea of kestrels being proper longwings irratates me for some reason. There are probably more important things for me to worry about. :)

confusedd

Then, maybe there SHOULD be a sub forum for the micro longwings...

You know...for the "proper" long wings, and one for the "fake" long wings...

noidea

joekoz
12-30-2011, 09:53 PM
confusedd

Then, maybe there SHOULD be a sub forum for the micro longwings...

You know...for the "proper" long wings, and one for the "fake" long wings...

noidea

Sandie you just made my day!

Just prior to reading your post, I wrote a response to a PM that I received from someone here on the forum who was asking about my experience with my Merlin. In it, I shared with him that a friend and very experienced falconer that I have a lot of respect for shared with me that he strongly felt that SPARROWS where probably the most difficult quarry out there. I suspect the thought of Sparrows as "PROPER" and respectable quarry would probably irritate some as well.

Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder! http://www.nafex.net//images/icons/icon7.gif

gos'n
12-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Let's not get to excited,or upset, my post was in jest. (Please note the happy face!)

Sandie you just made my day!

Just prior to reading your post, I wrote a response to a PM that I received from someone here on the forum who was asking about my experience with my Merlin. In it, I shared with him that a friend and very experienced falconer that I have a lot of respect for shared with me that he strongly felt that SPARROWS where probably the most difficult quarry out there. I suspect the thought of Sparrows as "PROPER" and respectable quarry would probably irritate some as well.

Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder! http://www.nafex.net//images/icons/icon7.gif

Rage
12-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Personally I like the Idea. This summer when I had my Kestral and now that I have my Merlin I have gone through the site looking for info to help me with my training and mind set. A subforum would have saved alot of time. The longwing section is full of the Full size birds and getting specific would help.

Chigger
12-31-2011, 12:17 AM
On a micro centric forum section I probably would have already started a thread on a solution I have come up with to get her on game, in an environment that I can manage without having someone else out with me when I fly her. I live in an area of New Jersey where there are many very upscale horse properties, and a close friend and neighbor whose property on which I have been flying my Merlin outside, has been kind enough to let me have after hour access to his very large indoor riding rink. Since first experiencing how well this has worked for me, I have place flyers at a number of Tack Shops in the area alerting other horse property owners to "The Deal". Let me fly my Merlin in your In-Door Riding Facility, and she will teach those pesty Sparrows & Starlings that have taken up residence to stay out of your facility.

You're absolutely right! I have my own indoor arena and I use it to train new birds. I have them flying so well in the arena that one flight outside on creance just to be sure, then the next flight outside is free!

Soo much easier and faster getting the bird started. It's comparable to starting a horse in a round pen with solid walls as opposed to a pipe round pen. Eliminating all of the distraction forces the bird to focus its attention on you and eleminates many opportunities for the bird to make mistakes. Also I can fly inside after dark if I didn't have time to hunt that day. Also can fly inside during the molt so as to not lose muscle without fear of losing bird because its so heavy.

Additionally, you're absolutely right about falconry practice running all those pesky messy starlings out of the barn! I suspect most stable owners would welcome you with open arms!!!

passagejack
12-31-2011, 12:18 AM
Great idea Chris! I'll be in!

sharptail
12-31-2011, 03:30 AM
Let's not get to excited,or upset, my post was in jest. (Please note the happy face!)I am not 'excited or upset, sparrows are a great quarry but don't fool yourself, they don't even come close to the difficulty of hawking any form of grouse.

Grouse have been the main quarry for many a good falconer, with out a kill for years. Give it a try if your live is lacking in challanges and you are not afraid to fail.

Chris L.
12-31-2011, 11:15 AM
John was just messing around guys, It made me laugh when I read it as I knew it would poke at some guys. Tone is so hard to read on these dang forums.

so lets bring it back on topic

If you want feedback than I would say “no”. I remember when the IFF started having a million sub-groups. I did not care for that really.

Isaac this is great point. I do not want NAFEX getting cluttered with too many forums. I like simple and clean! I think if I make it a sub forum, and not get to crazy with the subs, it will still have some order.

Another good point is the cutoff for micros. I think we can do what others have suggested, we will leave it up to the author about who decides if micro or not.

My main goal is to have a one stop shop for falconry information on the internet. Or should I say a better organized one. Think of it as a table of contents. I want the members to be able to come here and find the info easier. If its better organized, it will help put a stop to all the duplicate postings. It will also help keep the flow of the information more consistent and make NAFEX a better resource.

I really appreciate all of the feed back from you guys. The forum is for the members and your input is valued.

Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone.

bluejack
12-31-2011, 01:33 PM
I like it.

Lowachi
12-31-2011, 01:45 PM
thumbsupp go for it.

frootdog
12-31-2011, 02:31 PM
I say no. Just my non longwing of any kind opinion. I like what Chris has done by not having so many sub forums. Less IFF.

kimmerar
12-31-2011, 04:41 PM
I could go either way.

If you're going to do it then get rid of long wing micro part. Sure we all know about merlins, kestrels and I put the tiercel aplos with the micro section too. Don't forget about the shortwings - Sharp shins & tiercel coops.

The search engine works well here.

JRedig
01-01-2012, 02:02 PM
I say no. Just my non longwing of any kind opinion. I like what Chris has done by not having so many sub forums. Less IFF.

This.

The search engine works well here.

and this.

tumble
01-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Chris, you've always been careful about breaking things up too much. Personally I would exercise that restraint in this case as well.

Happy New Year to you too!

passagejack
01-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I personally think sub forums can be of use. Yep just like on IFF. If guys are mainly focussed on rabbit hawking, squirrel hawking, micro hawking ect, they can go right to that section instead of having to shuffle (suffer lol!)through a broader brush stroke of topics to get to were they want to go. Guys and gals could then focus there (valuable) time on the (exact) topics they like. What I don't understand is having it the way it is now? Some say just "search" it using key words. What if I find what I'm looking for one day then the next week can not remember the key word I used? Happens a lot in my little world lol!

goshawks00
01-01-2012, 04:10 PM
You think that's asn issue for you , try getting old...er...older! One of my brianiac greandkids taught me a thing called 'book mark'. Workjs great , esp when I can find where I put ittoungeout

Squirrelhawkin
01-01-2012, 04:13 PM
You think that's asn issue for you , try getting old...er...older! One of my brianiac greandkids taught me a thing called 'book mark'. Workjs great , esp when I can find where I put ittoungeout
Barry,Have him show you where the spellcheck is too! toungeout:D

passagejack
01-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Yes Barry..... getting old..... is getting old LOL! If I bookmark one more thing my computer will crash:eek:;)

canvibe
01-01-2012, 05:11 PM

Great Idea for sure!
I'm one for sub-forums, without having this forum organized in away in which it is easy to navigate, I believe all the usefull information contributed within the threads usually just get lost in the mix. There is a wealth of information in this forum, but what good is it if a user looking for information on a certain topic has to read through hundreds of unrelated topics.

Pete Kent
01-01-2012, 05:26 PM

I don't think lots of sub forums are necessary. When I used to post on the IFF I spent have my time working out which forum was the correct one to post on and then it was sometimes moved into another one by a moderator. As long as the basic subjects are there that's all is needed, that's why I like this site.

Dirthawking
01-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't think lots of sub forums are necessary. When I used to post on the IFF I spent have my time working out which forum was the correct one to post on and then it was sometimes moved into another one by a moderator. As long as the basic subjects are there that's all is needed, that's why I like this site.

Even the mods on this site move stuff from time to time. At least I know I do.

goshawks00
01-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Barry,Have him show you where the spellcheck is too! toungeout:D

Not that it matters but spellcheck is two words spell check. squirrel hawkin has a 'g' at the end of ittoungeout Anyway, I learned a long time ago not to sweat the small stuff, that plus I know where it is I just forget to use it. ( Did I say I was getting old(er)).
You should try typing with only one finger... it really is more than ten times worse than ten fingers, or as my granddaughter said eight fingers and two thumbs.:eek:

Dirthawking
01-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Not that it matters but spellcheck is two words spell check. Anyway, I learned a long time ago not to sweat the small stuff, that plus i know where it is , I just forget to use it. ( Did I say I was getting old(er)). You should try typing with only one finger... it really is more than ten times worse than ten fingers, or as my granddaughter said eight fingers and two thumbs.

clapp

goshawks00
01-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Yes Barry..... getting old..... is getting old LOL! ;)

Yes but better than the alternativehelpp

Squirrelhawkin
01-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Not that it matters but spellcheck is two words spell check. squirrel hawkin has a 'g' at the end of ittoungeout Anyway, I learned a long time ago not to sweat the small stuff, that plus I know where it is I just forget to use it. ( Did I say I was getting old(er)).
You should try typing with only one finger... it really is more than ten times worse than ten fingers, or as my granddaughter said eight fingers and two thumbs.:eek:
Should have known not to mess with a wise master such as yourself,haill

I also use the one finger typing technique,when it try to type fast it sounds like a chicken pecking at corn!:D

goshawks00
01-01-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm sorry what does typing fast mean?toungeout

Joan Marie
01-01-2012, 09:28 PM
I can be navigationally challenged esp at night and pre apprentice status to boot. NAFEX is my #1 for the power of the personal story, sense of community, and expertise not necessarily in that order. I find at this time I am beginning to pursue knowledge on Kestrels (thanks for the inspiration Sandie Morehead!). It has begun to dawn on me that I am new to hunting, know no one in my circles who hunts despite having a father who hunted, and will be land challenged until I can network. I desire a red tail. But those Kestrels and Merlins....ya. I dig em.

Bottom line, I read new posts, I lurk a few personalities I find inspiring, I navigate the front page categories according to whatever tangent I have time to follow or refresh on and rarely use search. I'm finding info from and get my bearings from these. I vote for simple.

Happy New Year!