PDA

View Full Version : Maynes Anglo

sakerjack
01-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Last week I spent a few hours looking at some old patterns that I have filed away and found this Maynes version of Frank Beebes' Canon Anglo hood. I had an order for a gos hood and decided to go with the pattern, it turned out great, fit the gos and then made this one for my saker. Just tried it on and like the fit, more photos later. I am now making one for a Ferrug. This is a blocked Anglo hood and available in sizes from Tirercel peregrine to Female Golden Eagle, The price is 50.00 US plus shipping, eagle hoods are 10.00 more.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/017.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/016.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/015.jpg

Lowachi
01-14-2012, 02:43 PM
neat, can't wait to see it on the saker

sakerjack
01-14-2012, 06:11 PM
neat, can't wait to see it on the saker

Rich here is the Anglo on FU my saker.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/019.jpg

Keith Denman
01-14-2012, 07:28 PM
I like how you block out the Anglo hood. You make such phenominal hoods.

FredFogg
01-14-2012, 07:52 PM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/017.jpg

Very cool Ken! Can't figure out how it doesn't look wet? frus) :D

I really like the beak opening! clapp

sakerjack
01-14-2012, 07:56 PM
I like how you block out the Anglo hood. You make such phenominal hoods.

Thank you KD,, say your hoods arrived yesterday,, THANK YOU,, I will try them on tomorrow.

sakerjack
01-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Very cool Ken! Can't figure out how it doesn't look wet? frus) :D

I really like the beak opening! clapp

Trick Photography,, LOL.. Hell I though the background looked neat. This style of hood is very different for me..Thank you FF, I do like the fit..

Keith Denman
01-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Thank you KD,, say your hoods arrived yesterday,, THANK YOU,, I will try them on tomorrow.
The white saddle back is being used on the FHH and is fitting good and my friend Oscar put one on his bird and said it fit well as well so I hope that one fits good. What is nice is that you know exactly how a superior fitting should will be. Thanks for taking the time to checking them out for me.

AK Rev
01-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Groovy. Looking forward to trying it on the ferrug.

sakerjack
01-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Groovy. Looking forward to trying it on the ferrug.

Hood is finished I wil mail it on Tuesday.

oldguy
02-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Hey Ken, Wish you'd quit messin' about with them fuzzy hoods and work up a Maynes Anglo with tooled seams. :)

Really like the look of the hood and the way it fits your saker. I think it would fit my weird headed redtail.

Maybe a nice mellow golden brown color with dark braces. Have you given any thought to how Celtic tooling could be done along seams ?

Would a 1 in. bone hairpipe with dark dye in incised cuts work with a Turkshead top knot ?

It's your fault for making hoods that fit and have a "different" look.

sakerjack
02-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey Ken, Wish you'd quit messin' about with them fuzzy hoods and work up a Maynes Anglo with tooled seams. :)

Really like the look of the hood and the way it fits your saker. I think it would fit my weird headed redtail.

Maybe a nice mellow golden brown color with dark braces. Have you given any thought to how Celtic tooling could be done along seams ?

Would a 1 in. bone hairpipe with dark dye in incised cuts work with a Turkshead top knot ?

It's your fault for making hoods that fit and have a "different" look.

OK OK,,, I sold some of the Anglos to a gent in the UK and wanted feedback, as well, I sent a few hoods for a male gos up here in Canada and the feedback was very good,,I have been super busy with two huge orders and of course playing with the Fuzzy hoods which I really like and enjoy making.. BUT I will start on one for you tomorrow,,Not sure what you mean celtic tooling though how about a hint.

sakerjack
02-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Dan here are a few photos of the Maynes Anglo on a tiercel peregrine.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSC_0032.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSC_0020.jpg

I am also working on some Jim Nelson darted hoods from the patterns given in his book that is coming out soon,, COOL HOOD!!! Maybe one of those would be neat for the redtail?

oldguy
02-05-2012, 11:39 PM
I searched "celtic cross" and tattoo sites. The style I'm thinking is/was used around edges of celtic crosses. Borders. Interwoven chain looking design.
Check with your LA contact, Kat Von D. :) But no nekid ladies !

I thank you sir.

Lowachi
02-06-2012, 12:51 AM
google celtic scroll patterns, for some nice border designs

oldguy
02-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Ken, I had pm'd you about the Maynes Anglo you made for me, but I wanted to tell you this in open forum.
I love this hood ! I really love the opening at the gape.

Great work even when not "fancy". We'll talk sometime if you work out a Celtic design to tool along seams.

Really appreciate your patience with me and most importantly your craftsmanship.

As soon as I figure out my new computer, I'll try try to post some pictures.

oldguy
03-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Damnest thing happened today. The bloody wind quit blowing 40 bloody mph. Blue sky, almost 60F. Of course the bird was just a hair high.
Wife and I had to go to Petsmart 45 mi. away to shop for a sweater for the dachschund. That in itself put me in a peachy mood. The fact that we didn't get back until I could see thermals rising myself intensified the peachiness.

No way I was going to fly him high in "jubilant air" ( I do like the way that sounds). So it was a launcher leash day.

Hawk was fussy as all hell in mews. He settled a bit when I got his new MAYNES ANGLO hood on him. He settled completely after he got a bit of a crop, 1/2 rat cut up for jump ups. Leashed him back up and hooded him.

Decided to weather him on the fist, as I needed to sit in the warm sunshine and be calm too.

I love the fit of this hood ! More important, the redtail loves the fit of this hood ! When it was off, he was calmly looking around. When the hood was on he went to sleep. I could tell by his grip and the fact that his beak was resting on my chest.

A true testimonial of a great fitting hood in my opinion. Someone posted that it seemed like Ken had snuck into their mews and measured their bird.
I second that !
Funny how a little thing like a properly fitting hood can turn a crap day into a tolerable one.

Thanks Ken.

sakerjack
03-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Damnest thing happened today. The bloody wind quit blowing 40 bloody mph. Blue sky, almost 60F. Of course the bird was just a hair high.
Wife and I had to go to Petsmart 45 mi. away to shop for a sweater for the dachschund. That in itself put me in a peachy mood. The fact that we didn't get back until I could see thermals rising myself intensified the peachiness.

No way I was going to fly him high in "jubilant air" ( I do like the way that sounds). So it was a launcher leash day.

Hawk was fussy as all hell in mews. He settled a bit when I got his new MAYNES ANGLO hood on him. He settled completely after he got a bit of a crop, 1/2 rat cut up for jump ups. Leashed him back up and hooded him.

Decided to weather him on the fist, as I needed to sit in the warm sunshine and be calm too.

I love the fit of this hood ! More important, the redtail loves the fit of this hood ! When it was off, he was calmly looking around. When the hood was on he went to sleep. I could tell by his grip and the fact that his beak was resting on my chest.

A true testimonial of a great fitting hood in my opinion. Someone posted that it seemed like Ken had snuck into their mews and measured their bird.
I second that !
Funny how a little thing like a properly fitting hood can turn a crap day into a tolerable one.

Thanks Ken.

Well thank you Dan, very kind words indeed. I guess you have prompted me to start to sell these hoods as the feedback has been very good.
Much appreciated.

sakerjack
03-05-2012, 09:55 AM

I second that !

Thanks Ken.
Dan you mention that I snuck in and measured the bird.. Not so much for redtails but Jim Nelson's book has every measurement of raptor you could think of, the measurment information in it has already proved itself many times over. It certainly takes the guess work out of where to start.