PDA

View Full Version : Hi to all fellow falconers :]

Marli
01-15-2012, 09:43 AM
My name is Marli Oosthuizen. I live in South Africa in Bloemfontein. I am an apprentice and my sponsors are Cobus Bezuidenhout and Francois Breedt. I have flown an African goshawk for the past 4 months and my next bird will be a tiercel Lanner. Thank you for your great forum. I look forward to being part of it.

Kind Regards

cobus
01-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Welcome Marli.

Ross
01-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Welcome Marli,
I enjoyed Cobus' thread on duck hawking last year. I enjoy reading about different types of falconry , with pictures of course. I look forward to learning more about South African falconry from you. What quarry will you pursue with a tiercel Lanner?
Ross

Keith Denman
01-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Marli welcome aboard and I hope to enjoy some stories and hopefully pictures of your hawking their in Africia.

cobus
01-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Welcome Marli,
I enjoyed Cobus' thread on duck hawking last year. I enjoy reading about different types of falconry , with pictures of course. I look forward to learning more about South African falconry from you. What quarry will you pursue with a tiercel Lanner?
Ross

How r u Ross. Soon my season will start hopefully I'll post more.

thunderheartiii
01-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Hello and (welc) to NAFEX.

RT-Angel Fire
01-15-2012, 02:46 PM
My name is Marli Oosthuizen. I live in South Africa in Bloemfontein. I am an apprentice and my sponsors are Cobus Bezuidenhout and Francois Breedt. I have flown an African goshawk for the past 4 months and my next bird will be a tiercel Lanner. Thank you for your great forum. I look forward to being part of it.

Kind Regards

Welcome Marli!

I was in SA in May of last year. I went out hawking with Tim Wagner (think was his name), Francois VanAs, Leon Haveman, and Alec Glyphis to name a few. I also had the liberty of meeting Steven Vanreinsberg at Penryn college where falconry is offered as an elective course. I had a fantastic time while I was there and can't wait to return.

You must be in Nelspruit huh?

Trebor
01-15-2012, 03:33 PM

Kind Regards

Hi and welcome from Bristol UK.(welc)

Rob Rowe

Marli
01-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome !

What quarry will you pursue with a tiercel Lanner?
Ross

I will probably be hunting mostly doves and pigeons but also quail,partridge and pheasants. Maybe some other small bird species as well.

Marli
01-15-2012, 04:23 PM
QUOTE=RT-Angel Fire;227243]Welcome Marli!

I was in SA in May of last year. I went out hawking with Tim Wagner (think was his name), Francois VanAs, Leon Haveman, and Alec Glyphis to name a few. I also had the liberty of meeting Steven Vanreinsberg at Penryn college where falconry is offered as an elective course. I had a fantastic time while I was there and can't wait to return.

You must be in Nelspruit huh?[/QUOTE]

I live in Bloemfontein in the Free state. Wow what an oppurtunity to have met Steven. When will you be visiting again ?

sharptail
01-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Welcome Marli, it reads like you have a lot of very capable help!

Marli
01-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Welcome Marli, it reads like you have a lot of very capable help!

Thank you Sharptail and I definitely agree.

Grahame
01-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Welcome from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. It truly is a great resource of information.

Grahame Booth

RT-Angel Fire
01-15-2012, 08:10 PM
QUOTE=RT-Angel Fire;227243]Welcome Marli!

I was in SA in May of last year. I went out hawking with Tim Wagner (think was his name), Francois VanAs, Leon Haveman, and Alec Glyphis to name a few. I also had the liberty of meeting Steven Vanreinsberg at Penryn college where falconry is offered as an elective course. I had a fantastic times e while I was there and can't wait to return.

You must be in Nelspruit huh?

I live in Bloemfontein in the Free state. Wow what an oppurtunity to have met Steven. When will you be visiting again ?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry Marli, I was just headed out the door and missed that you said where you were located. I was just really excited to see that someone new from SA was on this site.

Yes, Steven was quite pleasant. In fact everone was extremely hospitable. I got to see a Jackal Buzzard fly in the rugby field and I donated Ed Pritchers book (The Flying of Falcons) to the Penryn college library before I left.
The experience would have been better but I'd tried to keep up with the Afrikaans in the game of drink the night before and failedbrickkI loved watching that little Af-gos fly on Blacksmith plovers.

I may be going back again next May or June 2013 not sure yet. I should be guiding an Elk hunt here in NM this October for an Afrikaan gentleman. If it's not successful I may not be invited back LOL.

I'll be looking forward to your posts, and again welcome.

All the best!

cobus
01-15-2012, 09:17 PM
I may be going back again next May or June 2013 not sure yet. I should be guiding an Elk hunt here in NM this October for an Afrikaan gentleman. If it's not successful I may not be invited back LOL.

Be sure to include the Freestate in your visit. Better yet start here. We have the finest falconry fields in the country.

RT-Angel Fire
01-15-2012, 09:39 PM

Be sure to include the Freestate in your visit. Better yet start here. We have the finest falconry fields in the country.

Will do sir,
I was dissapointed not to have made your aquaintance on my last visit. Two weeks just wasn't enough to do all that I wanted.

I'd like to see some good flights on sand grouse.

By day two in SA I was ready to call home and tell 'em to send the rest of my belongings.:D