PDA

View Full Version : Original Khan Hoods

sakerjack
02-24-2012, 04:26 PM
I have had a few nice e-mails informing me that one of those Cheap US wholesalers is now selling Khan Hoods. The hoods he is offering were not made by me. I have made and sold over 1200 of them and have not had one complaint in the 8 years I have made the Khan hood, we will see how many complaints he gets in 8 months.
Oh, I forgot to add, the guy that is selling them talks like he's the guy making them.... Well he isn't,, they are made overseas, guess where?

Dirthawking
02-24-2012, 04:37 PM
I have one of yours I got in a trade. Fits my MHH beautifully! One of my favorite hoods in my collection!

joturley
02-24-2012, 04:58 PM
I lost my Khan in the bush a couple of days ago - I'd been out 2 hours when I noticed it was gone, had to get my gos back to the truck through knee deep snow ~ 2/3rds mile xcountry, then go back to look for the hood. Took me over an hour, but I found it! /jo

Lowachi
02-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Have one for Easy. my RT. Best hood I have for him.

sakerjack
02-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I lost my Khan in the bush a couple of days ago - I'd been out 2 hours when I noticed it was gone, had to get my gos back to the truck through knee deep snow ~ 2/3rds mile xcountry, then go back to look for the hood. Took me over an hour, but I found it! /jo

Dang it Jo I thought you were going to say that you lost it and needed another.. Shucks! Hope all is well.

sakerjack
02-25-2012, 09:45 AM
He is a photo of a tooled Khan that I make, please compare my quality to his when you see his advertised.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/Tooled_Khan_Hood_4a3fdc5ecea87.jpg

joturley
02-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Ken - interesting hood there - I've never seen decorated braces before.
However, I have been slapped in the face with braces with knotted ends, when the hawk shakes her head, & that STINGS!

Things are going reasonably well; in a season without really good game populations, we brought home our 29th ss hare on Thursday (w/2nd year passage female gos). Those who have hunted these little ghosts know just how much work that takes <G>.

And you, Ken - how did your season go? Still hunting jacks? /jo

sakerjack
02-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Ken - interesting hood there - I've never seen decorated braces before.
However, I have been slapped in the face with braces with knotted ends, when the hawk shakes her head, & that STINGS!

Things are going reasonably well; in a season without really good game populations, we brought home our 29th ss hare on Thursday (w/2nd year passage female gos). Those who have hunted these little ghosts know just how much work that takes <G>.

And you, Ken - how did your season go? Still hunting jacks? /jo

The hood was for a collection so added the fancy leather braces. My season sucked. Sounds like you had a decent year, good to hear from you.

Keith Denman
02-25-2012, 12:51 PM
He is a photo of a tooled Khan that I make, please compare my quality to his when you see his advertised.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/Tooled_Khan_Hood_4a3fdc5ecea87.jpg
I love this hood Ken, is it sold?

deaddogs
02-25-2012, 03:38 PM
I have had a few nice e-mails informing me that one of those Cheap US wholesalers is now selling Khan Hoods. The hoods he is offering were not made by me. I have made and sold over 1200 of them and have not had one complaint in the 8 years I have made the Khan hood, we will see how many complaints he gets in 8 months.
Oh, I forgot to add, the guy that is selling them talks like he's the guy making them.... Well he isn't,, they are made overseas, guess where?
Pakistan ???

Lowachi
02-25-2012, 04:08 PM

does, doesn't he.(didn't have ta look far for the ad.) Don't look like yours much.

sakerjack
02-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Pakistan ???

DD you are likely correct . Before this goes further this is not a racial thing WHATSOEVER. This is about my Khan hood VS his knock off crap.
Many posts have already been made regarding the poor quality and poor fit of hoods that are sold by many of these types of dealers, there is no need to repeat what has already been said.
In the case of my Khan hood , I personally make the hood, I use quality leather, quality braces and my craftsmanship and tooling are far superior to anything he will import. I also stand behind my work, if you have a problem I MAKE IT RIGHT!!

sakerjack
02-25-2012, 07:41 PM
I love this hood Ken, is it sold?

Hey KD,, thank you,, I made and sold that hood a few years ago,, I could make you another ALMOST like it,,,, I don't make my art or tooled hoods twice.

Keith Denman
02-25-2012, 07:48 PM
I may have you do that. I have an idea for one and I might see if you will do it for me. I just need to have the idea to be able to put it down so it is understandable.

sakerjack
02-26-2012, 11:01 AM
I may have you do that. I have an idea for one and I might see if you will do it for me. I just need to have the idea to be able to put it down so it is understandable.

Sounds good KD I am quite sure you could do the same,,

sakerjack
02-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I have one of yours I got in a trade. Fits my MHH beautifully! One of my favorite hoods in my collection!

Glad to hear Mario, thank you.

Lowachi
02-26-2012, 12:11 PM

that the one frm my apprentice???

Dirthawking
02-27-2012, 12:28 AM
that the one frm my apprentice???

Yep. I love that hood.

Keith Denman
02-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Hey KD,, thank you,, I made and sold that hood a few years ago,, I could make you another ALMOST like it,,,, I don't make my art or tooled hoods twice.
Thanks Ken for the vote of confindence.

Chris Proctor
02-27-2012, 04:52 AM
Ken, terms like dutch, arab, etc are too universal to do anything about BUT Khan is a solid Hooke named hood and has gained some real recognition, have you thought about registering the name as a trademark? That way nobody can say Khan hood this or Khan hood that for sale unless you made it and supplied it to them.

Might be the best money you spend all year and will protect your business.

passagejack
02-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Ken, terms like dutch, arab, etc are too universal to do anything about BUT Khan is a solid Hooke named hood and has gained some real recognition, have you thought about registering the name as a trademark? That way nobody can say Khan hood this or Khan hood that for sale unless you made it and supplied it to them.

Might be the best money you spend all year and will protect your business.
I'll second that !!!

GONEHAWKN
02-27-2012, 01:56 PM
That does seem like a pretty good idea Ken.....i dont what it would take to do, but might be worth looking into....

RT Alison
02-27-2012, 02:22 PM
I ordered one of Ken's gorgeous Tri-color Khan hoods and it fit my FRT like a dream. I ordered a plain brown wrapper field version with a horsehair plume, and it, too fits as if Ken snuck into my mews one night and used my bird's head as the shaping block! I'll never use another brand hood. No scratching, no wet spots, no additional trimming, perfect fit. Thanks Ken.

And Ken... my season sucked, too. Weird weather patterns, permissions getting "improved" by developers and a smaller rabbit population all made it less than a success.

Keith Denman
02-27-2012, 11:23 PM
I do not know the cost for copy rights and registered trade marks in Canada but in the US it is a pretty simple thing to do. Just fill out the forms and send it in online or paper slug sceinic route mail. Copy rights here run about 35 dollars I do not remember how much for sure but I think the trade marks were 75. Just google copy right and trade marks and go to the government site and do it yourself. I would not use one of the many companies that want to charge you for it.

oldguy
02-28-2012, 12:11 AM
My thoughts... I wouldn't try to copyright the word Khan without hood. Maybe both together would be a seperate phrase and/or description implying an item you have developed and deserving protection.

Good luck Ken.

Keith Denman
02-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Yes and Ken will want to do it pretty quick because they show they have similar and have used it for a period of time it might be impossible to get it copy righted.

Keith Denman
02-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Actually he might want to check on pattening that design so no one can copy it at all.

sakerjack
02-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Thank you all for your input. There are reasons whay I have not done this. I appreciate all the advice, I just wanted to make all aware that I was not making them and I feel that my quality of my hood is far superior.

passagejack
02-28-2012, 11:55 AM
What a croc of """"" Ken! I just saw who the "outfitter" is. This guy is SO rediculous in his pricing and quality! Its one thing to be creative and work hard to make a living however, for the consumers sake, the quality should not be comprimised. His pricing is a blatant spit in the face to any quality craftsmen in our sport. Not even in the same universe as most others pricing??? I suppose I should thank him because I have had a TON of customers come to me and plead for a better fitting hood then what was sold to them by this outfitter. Wasn't hard to fill those orders LOL! I wish Porshe had this same business plan on pricing LOL!

sakerjack
02-28-2012, 05:42 PM
What a croc of """"" Ken! I just saw who the "outfitter" is. This guy is SO rediculous in his pricing and quality! Its one thing to be creative and work hard to make a living however, for the consumers sake, the quality should not be comprimised. His pricing is a blatant spit in the face to any quality craftsmen in our sport. Not even in the same universe as most others pricing??? I suppose I should thank him because I have had a TON of customers come to me and plead for a better fitting hood then what was sold to them by this outfitter. Wasn't hard to fill those orders LOL! I wish Porshe had this same business plan on pricing LOL!

Thanks JR,, I do have something up my sleeve! Stay tuned.

oldguy
02-29-2012, 12:45 AM
I just saw the pictures of these knock-offs. They look rough to say the least. Wish I could say that would insure poor sales, but but can't assume that.
Going over to the apprentice site to spread the word about these POS's

Lowachi
02-29-2012, 04:20 AM
I just saw the pictures of these knock-offs. They look rough to say the least. Wish I could say that would insure poor sales, but but can't assume that.
Going over to the apprentice site to spread the word about these POS's

the best we can do is point our apprentices in the proper direction w/ these pos's. thumbsupp

sakerjack
07-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Just finished this one for a male gos.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/ColoredKhan007.jpg

Keith Denman
07-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Oh man Ken I love that hood. That is just beautiful, it takes your breath away.

RT Alison
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Maybe the guy builds them crappy and cheap to get repeat business. Ken's hoods last because he builds them that way. Too bad my third hand gos is such a hood shy critter or I'd be ordering my third and fourth Khans. Somebody botched him good and now you can't get anywhere near his head without him turning maniac. What's weird is you can touch him anywhere else without so much as a flutter. He grooves on neck and belly rubs. It's flight or fight when it comes to his head, though.

FredFogg
07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Maybe the guy builds them crappy and cheap to get repeat business. Ken's hoods last because he builds them that way. Too bad my third hand gos is such a hood shy critter or I'd be ordering my third and fourth Khans. Somebody botched him good and now you can't get anywhere near his head without him turning maniac. What's weird is you can touch him anywhere else without so much as a flutter. He grooves on neck and belly rubs. It's flight or fight when it comes to his head, though.

You might try Jim Nelsons High Level Tidbitting to get your gos to hood. If done slowly, it works. Here is a link to how he does it, check it out and see what you think.

http://www.americanbirdabatementservice.com/highleveltidbitting1.htm

RT Alison
07-18-2012, 08:10 PM
You might try Jim Nelsons High Level Tidbitting to get your gos to hood. If done slowly, it works. Here is a link to how he does it, check it out and see what you think.

http://www.americanbirdabatementservice.com/highleveltidbitting1.htm

Fantastic video sequences. I'll be giving him the Nelson treatment for sure. Guess I need to contact Ken again and order a khan field hood for my gos.

sakerjack
07-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Fantastic video sequences. I'll be giving him the Nelson treatment for sure. Guess I need to contact Ken again and order a khan field hood for my gos.

Take baby steps RT,, I had a wing nut gyr saker that would not take the hood,, took a month of daily work with her but after that she would just put her head right into the hood and never had a problem again.