PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT! Proposed Sage Grouse Closures in Wyoming

Saluqi
03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Larry Dickerson, NAFA president, has sent an email to the members and has given me permission to post on NAFEX. The directors received notice of Wyoming's proposed closure of sections of the state to sage grouse hunting last night and having been working in response to these developments. Please read Larry's letter carefully and follow the directions for submitting comments and do so today! Thank you.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Dear Paul

I realize your mail box may be getting full with news from NAFA and while I regret that, there are important issues that need your immediate attention and that is part of what I think you expect from your Association.

Late yesterday (March 27) I spoke by telephone with Wyoming Falconers Association (WFA) President Kenny Sterner about a very late breaking and fast moving event. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department has issued a notice to the public to comment on possible closure of sage grouse hunting (not just falconry) in the eastern 1/3 of that state. It has been less than 24 hours since the WFA was made aware of this.

The WFA is asking for your help to object to this proposal. Sadly time is extremely short and comments must be received by the WGFD not later than 5 PM Monday April 2, 2012. Comments must be in writing, must be signed and must be mailed (fax and email are not accepted) and received by that time.

To read the proposed regulations change, the WGFD rationale and view a map of the area that may be impacted, click here (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/temp/WY_sage-grousehuntproposal.pdf).

To read a copy of a letter sent by the Wyoming Falconers Association to the governor of Wyoming, click here (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/temp/WY_Letter_To_Governor.pdf).

To review and consider including in your comments, various points of why you should object to the proposed change in regulations, click here(http://www.n-a-f-a.com/temp/WY_TalkingPoints.pdf).

To send a comment and use the Wyoming Game and Fish Department form, click here(http://www.n-a-f-a.com/temp/WY_Comment_Form.pdf).

NAFA is developing a response to this proposal by WGFD as well and will submit comments. Sadly for this to arrive by mail in time to be considered it has to be done today. I hope you will consider making comments and how important your input is, even if you have never hunted sage grouse in Wyoming. The WFA and many other groups feel this is an inappropriate measure and may lead to long term and unintended consequences now and in the future.

My thanks to President Sterner, and the WFA for bringing this matter to our attention and a special thanks to Mr. Tom Maechtle of Wyoming for developing the points for your consideration when writing your comments and thank you.

My very best wishes.

Sincerely,

Larry Dickerson

passagejack
03-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Sounds about right??? Istead of the government correcting to the exact issues that are threating grouse numbers they just shut them down. As if shutting them down will help their numbers bounce back from natural gas drilling and cattle opperationscrazyyconfusedd I hope everyone gets on board with this one. Its a clear example of how government agencies "sell out" their biology(ist) to cater to the real threats on grouse populations.

Paul Mascuch
03-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Mailed in my comments today. Hope it helps!

Paul

sharptail
03-28-2012, 04:21 PM
In case you missed it above, the deadline for letters is to arrive by 5pm. this upcoming Monday, April 2. No emails or fax will be accepted. Thanks to all of those who respond!

UTFalconer
03-28-2012, 05:20 PM
It's always been my understanding they have to "shut down" hunting before they can "shut down" the oil, pipeline etc. Its all red tape, and I don't like the approach!

I forwarded the email from Larry to all Utah Falconers in a club email. I hope it helps, cause we're gonna need it!

Saluqi
03-28-2012, 05:57 PM
In case you missed it above, the deadline for letters is to arrive by 5pm. this upcoming Monday, April 2. No emails or fax will be accepted. Thanks to all of those who respond!

Thanks Jeff, it's is imperative that we respond as a united group in favor of keeping sage grouse open across the state of Wyoming. Please follow the links in my original post and submit your comments ASAP. Thanks!

Tom Smith
03-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Wrote mine tonight, will be in the mail in the morning. Hope that is fast enough.

Saluqi
03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Wrote mine tonight, will be in the mail in the morning. Hope that is fast enough.

Thanks Tom. What people don't realize is that by not responding to situations such as this they are allowing the anti-hunting groups to gain a foothold in fertile ground. When a state such as Wyoming, which is worldwide destination for all types of hunting, eliminates hunting for any reason other than sound biological data the anti-hunting groups can step in and put a spin on the facts and proclaim that the grouse season was eliminated because of hunting pressure. For this reason it is very important for all hunters to come together and fight against this and all future assaults.

sharptail
03-29-2012, 02:50 PM
I recently got this suggestion from John Dahlke;
Hello All:

One aspect to consider in crafting your response to the grouse closure is the vast amount of time, energy and expense that has been dedicated by all stakeholders through the Local Working Groups across the state. The falconry community is very well represented within these groups, and many of us have served since their initiation in 2004. Not one of the LWG's recommend closure, nor does the state-wide plan.

The governor is turning his back on the public involvement and commitment of all these Wyoming citizens, representing every stakeholder group, and responding to critics that have not participated in the process even though they had the chance.

There are a number of other working groups in the state - what does this tell them about the value of their efforts?

Best regards,
John

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER
03-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Interesting Read:

"The sage grouse population here in northeast Wyoming has been slashed more than 82 percent since 2001 due to intense coal-bed methane gas development (more than 30,000 wells drilled over a short period of time, along with thousands of newly constructed produced-water impoundments, thousands of miles of new roads and power lines), as well as a handful of West Nile Virus outbreaks." From http://wyofile.com/2012/03/study-west-nile-and-drilling-could-push-sage-grouse-to-the-brink-in-northeast-wyoming/

Need to read the whole article to get a flavor of what is going on in Wyoming where the "Masters of the Universe are Coal, Oil and Gas".