PDA

View Full Version : How to get a Falcon extremely fit for Pursuit Flights

RLBagley
04-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Some of you may be interested in this little video (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3263557381017), just added to the Marshall Radio FaceBook Page (http://www.facebook.com/MarshallRadio).

We had a chance to go out for an early morning training session with a customer just outside of Dubai last December, and were able to get some video of the process now used over there by many.

Since their style of flight for large falcons is immediate pursuit off the fist followed by a sustained climbing chase, using these large RC planes to pull a lure up and into the air matches exactly what they are after.

Enjoy,
RB

RLBagley
05-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Seems like every person who sees this video, and "Likes" it, then "Shares" it as well.

I'll bet we start seeing this method of conditioning crop up around the US soon.
RB

falcondoc
05-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Robert, We talked about doing this kind of thing when I was over there but this is the first time I've seen anyone that actually figured out how to do it! Very neat. Look out, houbara!

corona
05-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Troy Morris has been doing this for years with his falcons, he modified the plane to look just like a crow and he attaches the food directly to the plane and he just turns off the motor in locked position and brings it in for a landing.

RLBagley
05-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Robert, We talked about doing this kind of thing when I was over there but this is the first time I've seen anyone that actually figured out how to do it! Very neat. Look out, houbara!

Yes, the speed and fitness levels achieved are pretty amazing, and in line with what you'd want to achieve preparing for pursuit flights on another level altogether.

However, they seem to wreck quite a few planes in the process when first learning. I noticed only one or two actual pilots did all the flying, yet 30 to 40 birds flown as people all came out to participate.

What is in the video is a gas-powered plane, but we brought home an electric engine version of the same plane to "get some experience" for ourselves this season. No exhaust fumes, quieter.

Hope all's well back there in the mid-west.
RB

RLBagley
05-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Troy Morris has been doing this for years with his falcons, he modified the plane to look just like a crow and he attaches the food directly to the plane and he just turns off the motor in locked position and brings it in for a landing.

It'd be great to see some pics of this.
RB

Tony James
05-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Hi Robert,

I haven't watched the video yet, but seeing it done in the desert in Abu Dhabi came as quite a shock to me.
A shock, in that despite knowing in advance that I'd find it distasteful, I really enjoyed it!
The guys flying those planes were very skilled, and the falcons were very impressive.
I'm not sure it would be quite the same in my little corner of England, but where you are, hey? All you need are a few houbara;)

Hope you're well,

Tony.

California Native
05-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Robert,

That looks like a great way to condition a bird and it look like fun. I think adding in the traditional music, goes well with the action.

Dan

California Native
05-24-2012, 09:05 PM

Hi John,

Not familiar with Troy Morris. Where is he doing this ?

Dan

oldguy
05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Just saw this, Wild ! That one bird really keyed in one the plane's motor noise.
Any idea how fast that plane was going ?

Thanks for posting.