PDA

View Full Version : Im new I'm new ... well sorta

milbrose
04-22-2012, 01:18 PM
I am Stephanie... a couple of months ago I came here looking for someone to come to an Animals in Society class at the University where I teach. My students were disappointed that I couldn't find someone. I did get a response and ten days ago a wonderful woman came to my class with her red tail and kestral.

In the course of our conversation after class I had mentioned that I was always interested in learning falconry and had gotten the packet from our fish and game department but hadn't pursued it simply because I didn't know anyone and had no idea where to begin. We talked and I went home and talked to my husband who was very jealous of my close encounter with the hawks and after some thought and discussion I emailed the woman and she has agreed to sponsor me and take me on as her new apprentice.

I AM BEYOND THRILLED.... I am nervous... I think anyone starting out such a big endeavor should be nervous to an extent. I have ordered some books to start reading.... We are building a chicken coop in the next few weeks and after that we will start working on our mews so that it is in place by the fall. I will head down to her place soon to take some pictures of her building etc. I will call fish and game tomm. and get my packet and I have signed up for hunter education.

I will be looking here for information on working the dogs into the process. We have 9... 5 goldens, 3 Flat Coats and an Irish Wolfhound... the goldens and flat coats are shown in breed and obedience but also work in the field and it would be great to incorporate them... not so sure about hte hound lol...

I have alot to learn...A LOT!! but I am looking forward to this adventure...

aside from this ... I am a University Professor of Sociology, A stained and fused glass artist and we have the dogs and chickens coming soon.

looking forward to learning lots
thanks
S

Keith Denman
04-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Welcome aboard Stephanie and congrads on finding a sponsor and starting your pursuit to a new lifestyle.

Barticus
04-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Good luck Stephanie! And welcome to the boards.

thunderheartiii
04-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Hello and (welc) to NAFEX. Hope you enjoy your new endevour into falconry.

JeffNH
04-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Welcome...Be great to see another falconer in the fields.

ptotten
04-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Welcome! It's always great to see another GIRL get into the game! Falconry will change your life. Enjoy the pursuit!

Chris L.
04-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Welcome to NAFEX and falconry. Its a lot of red tape to become
A falconer. Stick with it, you will be so happy you did

Keep us posted on your progress

All the best

Chris

milbrose
04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Welcome to NAFEX and falconry. Its a lot of red tape to become
A falconer. Stick with it, you will be so happy you did

Keep us posted on your progress

All the best

Chris

Thats the story of my life.. bureaucracy... but thats ok ... I have a PhD (piled higher and deeper and an exercise in how many hoops are you willing to jump through) so it will be ok... I have a plan

bluejack
04-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi Stephanie,

Welcome and congrats on making the decision to start now. Being scared is a good thing, it'll keep you on your toes as you begin your journey into the world of raptors and their prey. Enjoy!

Dirthawking
04-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Thats the story of my life.. bureaucracy... but thats ok ... I have a PhD (piled higher and deeper and an exercise in how many hoops are you willing to jump through) so it will be ok... I have a plan

So do I! Public Highschool Diploma.....

Bet I paid less for mine! toungeout

Good luck with your journey.

milbrose
04-26-2012, 01:25 PM
So do I! Public Highschool Diploma.....

Bet I paid less for mine! toungeout

Good luck with your journey.

I bet you did lolol and won't be paying for yours for the next .... ohhhh I don't want to think about it lolol

denial is not always a bad thing