PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Eyass BBQ and Overnighter

idbirdman
04-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Hey every one. It is that time of the year again. We are planning our 4th annual Eyass BBQ at Lake Walcott, just north of Rupert Idaho. Again we will be meeting on Friday May 25 at Lake Walcott State Park. The camping is very reasonable and is in the grass surrounding the lake. There are great areas for a fire, covered eating area along with soft ground for your tents. Every one will be responsible for there own meet for cooking and a dish to share. I will have a stove area and BBQ set up for whoever needs it. Saturday morning we will again put breakfast items together for a buffet of breakfast items. Later that morning we will be traveling into the desert where a few of us will be pulling young eyass prairie falcons from a known eyerie. This is a lot of fun guys. Even if you have never been around a bird, this is a great opportunity to see it first hand along with meeting some great people. If you're interested in camping over night, google the park and you can look up reservation information. This is a family get together, so if you have kids then bring them. I look forward to seeing you all there. If you need more info call me at 208-573-8570

GONEHAWKN
04-27-2012, 01:52 AM
I hear through the grapevine that there may be a couple of East coast'rs crashing the party ;-)

Lowachi
04-27-2012, 03:16 AM
I hear through the grapevine that there may be a couple of East coast'rs crashing the party ;-)
ah, to be sucked up in the slip stream.....Calgon, take me away....:Dpeacee

oldguy
04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
I highly recommend this "event". Will be there this year if possible. Would like to get in the convoy to the desert. Depends if I can get new tires on the pickup.

Just because it is late May, weather is iffy this time of year. Expect rain and wind. Lovely weather last year. :) Lake Walcott park is nice. Mowed grass camping areas and fire pits.

Should be called the ID / UT Eyas BBQ. All and more are welcome, I'm sure.

We need some Wood River people to come ! Calder, Jimmy, come and meet crazy people !

czarkos
04-27-2012, 10:40 AM
I highly recommend this "event". Will be there this year if possible. Would like to get in the convoy to the desert. Depends if I can get new tires on the pickup.

Just because it is late May, weather is iffy this time of year. Expect rain and wind. Lovely weather last year. :) Lake Walcott park is nice. Mowed grass camping areas and fire pits.

We need some Wood River people to come ! Calder, Jimmy, come and meet crazy people !

I think I am going to try and go!

calebstroh
05-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I think I'll try and make this if you boys don't mind another southern'er!

I'll be the one bringing the beer (even if I have to drink it alone!) :D

caleb

GONEHAWKN
05-03-2012, 08:56 PM
i will definitely be there. I just had to make sure i could arrange other activities(The Archives) while i am there. I will be heading up from Boise sometime on Friday afternoon......i am looking forward to the trip to say the least.

idbirdman
05-03-2012, 09:40 PM
I think I'll try and make this if you boys don't mind another southern'er!

I'll be the one bringing the beer (even if I have to drink it alone!) :D

caleb

Caleb, you are one of the wierder ones, so you'll fit right in. Your absolutly welcome. It will be a good time.
Stephen

Tom Smith
05-03-2012, 11:06 PM

Gee, that one pair of prarie falcons must feel pretty famous with all the fanfare and attention they are getting or have you found another eyrie out there?

oldguy
05-04-2012, 09:11 AM
i will definitely be there. I just had to make sure i could arrange other activities(The Archives) while i am there. I will be heading up from Boise sometime on Friday afternoon......i am looking forward to the trip to say the least.

This might be the best one yet ! Its become bi-coastal ! Bill, Lake Walcott is about 180 mi. east from Boise on I-84. We navigate by line of sight out here. Figure out which direction your want to go and find a road (usually straight) that goes there.

Looks like we may be hosting from all over. I might have to get out my Dutch ovens for this one.

Paul Mascuch
05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Stephen -

Made my camping reservation for the 25th. I'm in camping spot #33. See you there.

Paul

calebstroh
05-04-2012, 06:23 PM
So do we need to reserve a camping spot?

oldguy
05-06-2012, 10:03 AM
There are a few nice enough/new enough motels at Burley exit on I-84. We're checking on room rates and will post later today.

These are the closest motels in area and only a few miles from the road to Walcott Park. The park is safe and patrolled by county sherriffs.
Like Stephen said, bring meat you want to grill and whatever else. If you don't or can't there will be plenty. I am bringing two 12" Dutch ovens with spuds 'n onions and BBQ pork or chicken. Might get to a peach or apple cobbler. Nobody has gone hungry in the past.

This is close enough to town that I will be at the BBQ, drive home 14mi that night. and be in line for the drive out to the desert. That's my plan anyway. If you plan to stay at one of the motels, it will be about the same distance. There are a couple of restruants for breakfast Sat. morning close by.
Wouldn't be a problem to drive back to motel, get a good night's sleep, grab an early breakfast and be back out at the park in time.
Camping at the park sounds like a blast, but just so everyone knows there are options.

Will post later today with motel info. Come if you can !

idbirdman
05-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Got some rates and such for BBQ.

I-84 exit 208

Super 8 With AAA or AARP $74.99 + tax $80.99 Without AAA... $79.99+ tax $86.39 $10 pet fee. North side of exit 208 next to Hub Plaza and Conner's Cafe ( highly recommended).

Budget Motel With AAA or AARP $51.99 + tax Without $57.99 + tax $10. pet fee South side of exit 208

Burley Inn $89.99+ Rates apparently change from week to week. Next to Budget Motel and Perkin's Restruant

Best route to Walcott Park is back on I-84 to Exit 211. North to Rupert. Follow signs to Walcott Park /Minidoka Nat. Wildlife Refuge.

If coming from Boise, recommend a quick stop at Perrine Bridge Visitors Center. First Twin Falls exit. No canyon view quite like this one.

Hope this helps, bud. I'll let you post this on NAFEX unless you want me to.

Dan, P.S. Bought a big pkg of boneless pork ribs at Costco today. In freezer, waiting BBQ.

Paul Mascuch
05-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Stephen -

What time are you showing up at the park on Friday?

Paul

idbirdman
05-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Stephen -

What time are you showing up at the park on Friday?

Paul

Hey Paul,
Im going to try and be there by about 3:00 or so. Also would you let Jim know about the hotel info? Thanks
Stephen

idbirdman
05-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Just adding this to the mix of things. Those coming to the bbq, I'm asking that you bring an item to donate for a raffle. It'll be a good opportunity to get some good prizes. Thanks Stephen

idbirdman
05-10-2012, 09:59 AM
We will be providing paper plates, utensils, cups, soda, along with breakfast on Saturday morning. So come hungry. I'm planning on being there around 3:00pm on Friday. We will also have a couple of extra camp sites that we can split up and share. Also if you have a camp chair or two, make sure to bring it as well. See you there. Stephen

Yeomanfalconer
05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Can the pair stand the attention?

idbirdman
05-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Eric, we do most from a distance (so bring optics) then when we do go, it's in and out quickly.

Tom Smith
05-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Can the pair stand the attention?

Ethics seem to have taken a tumble.

idbirdman
05-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Ethics seem to have taken a tumble.

If any birds are taken at all, it'll be two at the most. More than likely only one if even that. I am wanting to fly another imprint. Looking forward to tame hacking.

Tom Smith
05-15-2012, 11:41 PM
If any birds are taken at all, it'll be two at the most. More than likely only one if even that. I am wanting to fly another imprint. Looking forward to tame hacking.

I'm sure you will stay within the law, I'm just weirded out by all the people you are taking to the sanctity of that eyrie, we are falconers not Audubon field trippers.

oldguy
05-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Here's an FYI for everyone planning on attending the BBQ.

Gary Hompland, L.E. officer at regional office ID Fish & Game called me today. He had a question about a local falconer. Anyway, he had heard there was some kind of falconer's meeting on the 25th. I told him what he wanted to know about it and when he asked if he could come, I told him it was a public park and he would be welcome. I joked that "we don't want any cops there". We both laughed.

I have never seen any illegal activity happen at these BBQs so I don't see a problem. Gary is a great guy and VERY falconer friendly. I count him as a friend.
He is still a cop, and I'm sure everyone would agree we always need to be on our best in front of the public.

One local individual that I managed to discourage from attending is a woman who is a facebook "friend", and a card carrying peta member. She thought it was going to be some kind of "falcon show". I don't want her there. Some of us would have way too much fun messing with her mis-directed little mind.

I wish to address one concern that has come up.
I don't think there will be twenty outfits parked at the base of a prarrie nest. We are smarter than that. Those that choose to go out will keep their distance and use binoculars to watch if any young are taken.

This is not an Idaho Falconers Association sanctioned event. It is a group of Idaho falconers getting together with friends old and new from here and out of state to eat and BS. Kids are very welcome if imprinted and well behaved.
Please come and lets have fun.

California Native
05-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Hello Stephen,

Reading what is said among the posts here I see there is some who have posted have a concern about your inviting those at your camp out to join you at a prairie falcon eyrie while you or another falconer takes an eyass or two. I guess I am wondering about just why a group would need to go there and do this ? Summer temperatures hot and stressing out the young and the adults would seem to be a risk. Is the welfare of this pair being considered here ? Never heard of such a thing before. Most eyries I have been to I have tried to minimize my impact.

Wondering.

Dan

idbirdman
05-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Hello Stephen,

Reading what is said among the posts here I see there is some who have posted have a concern about your inviting those at your camp out to join you at a prairie falcon eyrie while you or another falconer takes an eyass or two. I guess I am wondering about just why a group would need to go there and do this ? Summer temperatures hot and stressing out the young and the adults would seem to be a risk. Is the welfare of this pair being considered here ? Never heard of such a thing before. Most eyries I have been to I have tried to minimize my impact.

Wondering.

Dan

Hello Dan,
i can appreciate your concern. First of all, there isn't actually that many people that will be going out to the eyerie. There will only be 1-2 actual vehicles that are really even relatively close at all. Not to mention that it is an opportunity for a select few (that have never seen a prairie eyerie) to actually experience it first hand. I am all about low impact and low stress for the birds. It will not be like a huge caravan of vehicle parked under the eyerie or even driving around. This bowl offers a great viewing area from an apposing ridge/hill with the use of optics. This is just a nice time to be with frieds at the camp more than anything. Stephen

California Native
05-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Hello Dan,
i can appreciate your concern. First of all, there isn't actually that many people that will be going out to the eyerie. There will only be 1-2 actual vehicles that are really even relatively close at all. Not to mention that it is an opportunity for a select few (that have never seen a prairie eyerie) to actually experience it first hand. I am all about low impact and low stress for the birds. It will not be like a huge caravan of vehicle parked under the eyerie or even driving around. This bowl offers a great viewing area from an apposing ridge/hill with the use of optics. This is just a nice time to be with frieds at the camp more than anything. Stephen

Stephen,

Sounds like you are showing concerns for the birds. When you say " Bowl " are you saying it is below ground level ? There is one site in Northern California described to me as in a Lava Flow and down inside a crater formed by the lava. I have not seen it personally, but cliffs might not be too plentiful for them to use such a place.

Dan

Dirthawking
05-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Kids are very welcome if imprinted and well behaved.

clappclappclapp

Soooooo stealing this!

frootdog
05-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Do they taste like chicken? The BBQ'd Eyasses that is.:eek:toungeout

oldguy
05-19-2012, 12:07 AM

It took you this long to come up with that ? Chris, I expected more. Sigh.

frootdog
05-19-2012, 04:59 PM
It took you this long to come up with that ? Chris, I expected more. Sigh.

Not long. Just took a while before I decided to post it. The name of the event does make my brain go crazy though cause that's ALL I can think of when I read it. :D

oldguy
05-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Trying to think of any information that might be helpful for those planning to attend.

Gas prices have been right around $3.79 a gal. Plenty of stations near I-84 exits.
Count on the weather to change hourly this time of year. For some reason this weekend has squirrely weather. Idahoans know they can use their car heater and air conditioner on the same day. A slight breeze could come up, we call those "4-40s" 4 drops of rain and 40 mph winds.
One thing you don't need to worry about are tornados. Another reason I chooose to live here.

Anyone coming from outside the mountain west should bring lip balm and saline nasal spray. It is dry here. If you've never experienced dry air, your sinuses can take a hit.

Those looking for something else to do Sat. morning might head south to City of Rocks. About 20mi. off I-84 and worth driving to. It will be busy this weekend. It is basically annexed by northern Utah that weekend. No camping spots, but just hiking around and looking at the amazing views is worth the drive.
Can't think of anything else right now. Hope everyone has a great time.

FredFogg
05-23-2012, 04:53 AM

Only if cooked all night, it is an overnighter, after all. :eek: :D

Tom Smith
05-28-2012, 11:15 PM
How did the BBQ go? Any tales of braving the storm? Tents blowing away, wolves howling in the night among the thunder claps? Any pictures of death defying rappels into a prairie eyrie? Inquiring mind wants to know.

oldguy
05-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Not a huge turnout. Got to meet some good people. Bill Barbour is as fine a Southern gentleman as there is.
Caleb Stroh was easy to recognise with that red hair :) Makes a great elk chile !
Gary Moon and his wife opened their hospitality to all when Stephen was delayed. Food was good as was the company. Memorial Day weekend was typical. Dry for two months and then poured rain most of the weekend.

I didn't brave the trip out Sat morning. Two-tracks on that desert can be greasy with a bit of rain. I've walked in from 10 mi. out before. The picture Stephen posted on Facebook looked like Mongolia ! Reminded me why I love it here so much.

I'll let Bill and others post more when they get back home. I see a 5th Annual Eyass BBQ next year.

Tom Smith
05-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Not a huge turnout. Got to meet some good people. Bill Barbour is as fine a Southern gentleman as there is.
Caleb Stroh was easy to recognise with that red hair :) Makes a great elk chile !
Gary Moon and his wife opened their hospitality to all when Stephen was delayed. Food was good as was the company. Memorial Day weekend was typical. Dry for two months and then poured rain most of the weekend.

I didn't brave the trip out Sat morning. Two-tracks on that desert can be greasy with a bit of rain. I've walked in from 10 mi. out before. The picture Stephen posted on Facebook looked like Mongolia ! Reminded me why I love it here so much.

I'll let Bill and others post more when they get back home. I see a 5th Annual Eyass BBQ next year.

Thanks,

idbirdman
06-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Here are a couple of pics of the young prairie that I'm going to tame hack and fly this year. She is a sweetheart.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z51/idbirdman/2012-06-01_21-19-09_525.jpg

Even she's impressed with those feet.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z51/idbirdman/2012-05-31_18-22-07_136.jpg

Thanks.

Stephen

California Native
06-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Well Stephen,

I wish you and your new " prize " the best. I love the eyas prairie falcon and tame hacked one from our home in 1979. She taught me a lot and was a jewel in the sky. Tell me more of you plans to tame hack her. I would like to know what you have in mind for that. Please post photos of her and include one of her hood. I am looking forward to what you " two " become.

Dan

idbirdman
06-05-2012, 12:24 AM
This is the new hood that good friend Bill Barbour made for my new female prairie falcon Paradise.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z51/idbirdman/2012-06-03_20-42-17_176.jpg

California Native
06-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Stephen,

When I tried to download your photos, I could not. Any chance you could reduce the size and post again ? Would like to see the hood Bill made for you.

Dan

FredFogg
06-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Stephen,

When I tried to download your photos, I could not. Any chance you could reduce the size and post again ? Would like to see the hood Bill made for you.

Dan

Dan, I resized it for Stephen. Can you view it now?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/BillBarbourHood.jpg

idbirdman
06-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks Fred. I gotta stop uploading things from my phone. Stephen

California Native
06-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Dan, I resized it for Stephen. Can you view it now?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/BillBarbourHood.jpg

Thank You Fred, I got it now. Nice hood and how does it fit ?
Dan

idbirdman
06-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Lol Dan. Like it was made for her. Ill try and post a few with it on her. Thanks Stephen

Tom Smith
06-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Lol Dan. Like it was made for her. Ill try and post a few with it on her. Thanks Stephen

She might grow out of it if it fits now, I'm thinking, or the pictures are a little behind.

GONEHAWKN
06-05-2012, 08:20 PM
She just might Tom. Of course i knew nothing of the bird when i made the hood other than a female Prairie might be taken. I made a hood for a average male Prairie and a average female Prairie. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it fits her in a few weeks.

Lowachi
06-05-2012, 09:07 PM
fine looking hood Bill.

Tom Smith
06-05-2012, 09:16 PM
She just might Tom. Of course i knew nothing of the bird when i made the hood other than a female Prairie might be taken. I made a hood for a average male Prairie and a average female Prairie. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it fits her in a few weeks.

It is a fine looking hood at any rate. I Just got one from Bob Helsom in the same colors that looks very similar but with out the tooling.

GONEHAWKN
06-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Thank you guys. Yeah, it was really a crap shoot on my end. We will see how she fills out and into the hood. If nothing else Stephan will have something for the shelf