PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Freezing Utah...

falcotait
12-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Steve Tait here from Utah, U.S.A.. I've been a falconer since...well...over 30 years now. I have mostly flown longwings (passage, chamber raised, and a few imprints) but have had my share of hawks and two golden eagles. Right now I'm working with a chamber raised jerkin that I pulled out of the chamber Thanksgiving morning. He has finally turned the corner lately. I've been a hoodmaker for many years and made my first hood in the 7th grade. Sold it to a friend for $2. Looking forward to swapping stories and such. Best wishes, Steve

Jimmy
12-23-2007, 03:11 AM
(welc)

Bodarc
12-23-2007, 03:21 AM
Steve

Glad to see you here. I bought one of your red-tail hoods a couple of years ago and love it. It's a beaut and is sitting in my showcase right now because I'm not flying a red-tail.

(welc)

KidK
12-23-2007, 04:08 AM
Hello Steve!

Welcome to NAFEX! Great to have you here.:D

We hope you enjoy the forums. If there is anything you need help with just let us know!

I am looking forward to hearing more about your Jerkin. You can post photos (we all really like pictures) here as well.

And.. just how cold IS it in UT now?confusedd

Best Regards,

Chris L.
12-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Steve,
Welcome to NAFEX. it is great to have you here. As Kory said please dont hesitate to post pictures.

Look forward to hearing about the jerkin... Do you propagate as well?

Let us know if you need anything.

again (welc)

idbirdman
12-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Hey Steve, welcome to NAFEX. I have a new batch of pups for your daughter. LOL Stephen Buffat

Falcon Boy
12-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Welcome to the boards, it's nice to have another hood maker on here. Love to see pics of the jerkin if you get a chance....

Bryant Tarr
12-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi Steve! Great to have you here. I look forward to hearing about your adventures with the gyrkin (welc)

goshawks00
12-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi Steve glad you've joined in.... Listen forget about them long pointy things tell us about the eagles!!
Barry

hcf
12-23-2007, 01:54 PM
hi steve,
a warm welcome from this side of the pond.
andy s.

falcotait
12-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes guys. Stephan, I'd love another pointer pup but my daughter's in school in Cedar City, and my hands are too full for now, maybe next year. My jerkin came from a freinds breeding project out of a Berry white female and a gray male. He's a handsome silver but came out of the chamber wilder than any bird I've ever had, except for a few passage prairies. I usually try to get new birds flying free in about three weeks but this guy is only now starting to jump to the fist outside and it's been four weeks. He'll be flying free in a week or two. I'll get a photo posted when I get a chance. The two eagles I had were fun but very high maintenece. The male got asper just prior to starting hunting and he passed away shortly after but he was a sweet bird. He bonded with me within a couple of weeks and started talking to me. I miss him. The female was quite different and never did bond but she caught the first jack rabbit I showed her and a few others after that. She was a maintenece headache and never settled down under my care. I gave her to a permited falconer back east where she ended up getting electrocuted. Anyway, they're fun to handle but shouldn't be treated any different than a passage gos. Just my opinion. Looking forward to meeting more of you, Steve

sakerjack
12-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Steve you mention asper in your eagles,, I was not aware that goldens were so prone to it.. I have spoken to others who have gotten them and same thing,, When you guys trap goldies do you put on meds right away?? Just curious..
I have not had golden exp but my bald eagles were the same way the male bonded to me and would talk all day to me, female NO..
Welcome,

threetoe
12-23-2007, 09:05 PM
(welc)

Get ready to spend WAY to much time here.
:D

falcotait
12-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Ken, from what I've seen goldens are at least as suseptible to asper as goshawks or gyrfalcons and probably more so. I treated the female with Intraconizole (sp?) after the mishap with the tiercel. I would always pre-medicate them now. Steve

kimmerar
12-27-2007, 01:25 AM
(welc) Steve. Can't wait to hear stories and see your pics. Bet you have some good ones. And, yes, how cold is it there???

falcotait
12-28-2007, 01:09 AM
It's perfect duck hawking weather here from 15-30 degrees daily. I wish I had a duck hawk going and time to get out...Steve

Chris L.
12-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Steve,

Looking forward to some pictures of the silver guy for sure. I bet he looks stunning... He sounds like he has some fire to him hottt. Good luck and keep us posted.

chamokane
01-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Welcome, Steve.

Mitchellbrad
01-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Steve Tait here from Utah, U.S.A.. I've been a falconer since...well...over 30 years now. I have mostly flown longwings (passage, chamber raised, and a few imprints) but have had my share of hawks and two golden eagles. Right now I'm working with a chamber raised jerkin that I pulled out of the chamber Thanksgiving morning. He has finally turned the corner lately. I've been a hoodmaker for many years and made my first hood in the 7th grade. Sold it to a friend for $2. Looking forward to swapping stories and such. Best wishes, Steve

Hey Steve,

Can I get some $2 hoods?

I tried real hard to get you a chicken just before they closed the season. Lots of birds but no good shots. Gon's hybrid demolished a nice cock but by the time I went into beg mode it was too late. Also Mike has a very nice one in the freezer but it was a no go on talking him out of it.

Got me a gyrkin with a few pictures of the trapping. Scott Larson got himself a toad of a falcon this morning.

Brad

TexasFalconer
01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Welcome aboard, Steve(welc)

sharptail
01-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Hey Steve,

Can I get some $2 hoods?

I tried real hard to get you a chicken just before they closed the season. Lots of birds but no good shots. Gon's hybrid demolished a nice cock but by the time I went into beg mode it was too late. Also Mike has a very nice one in the freezer but it was a no go on talking him out of it.

Got me a gyrkin with a few pictures of the trapping. Scott Larson got himself a toad of a falcon this morning.

Brad
My oh my, aren't things heating up in SD!

everetkhorton
01-18-2008, 06:56 PM
(welc) Steve.