PDA

View Full Version : State Requirements for Health Certificates

goshawkr
05-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Currently, Washington is one of the states that require a health certificate before raptors can be brought into the state. We are going to be approaching our state authorities to try and have that changed. As part of that process, one question that will definately come up is "what do the other states do."

To that end, I am going to be collecting simple information about the regulations in each of the 49 states that allow falconry in terms of wether they require a health certificate or not.

Unlike the more specific falconry regulations, health cert requirements can be troublesome to track down because they may be encoded in a very different part of the state legal code such as the state agriculture regulations which is in fact that case in Washington.

Soon I will be using the NAFA directory to track down someone from each of the states that allow falconry and ask the question, but I thought I might save some typing and perhaps helps some others with a similar project by asking for responses first.

So - what states require it? Which dont???

Saluqi
05-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Not required in NM for non-residents who want hunt or pass through, or for residents who bring in a raptor.

19.35.8.13 IMPORTATION, TRANSPORT AND TEMPORARY HOLDING:
A. Importation: A copy of a valid falconer permit shall suffice as an importation permit for raptors brought into the state.
(1) A permitted falconer may import any raptor from another state, provided that the permittee does not exceed the number and species of raptors that can be held under his or her permit.
(2) The holder of a New Mexico temporary foreign visitor falconer permit may only import captive-bred raptor(s) from another state, provided the falconer does not exceed the number and species of raptors that he or she may possess.
B. Temporary importation: an importation permit is not required by nonresident falconers temporarily importing and possessing a raptor while in transit or for the purpose of falconry.
C. Relocation importation: a permitted falconer shall notify the department prior to relocating to New Mexico with a legally possessed raptor. Within 10 days of the arrival, notification shall be filed through USFWS 3-186A electronic reporting system unless otherwise required or approved by the department. The permittee shall document that the raptor was legally obtained, with such certificates, permits to take, federal form 3-186A submitted by the raptor propagator, etc.
D. Transportation of raptors:
(1) A New Mexico falconer may transport within New Mexico a raptor held under his or her permit and raptor(s) held for another falconer while in temporary care.
(2) A permittee may remove the raptor from New Mexico for meets, trials, and hunting in other states and return the raptor to New Mexico without obtaining New Mexico importation permit, provided the falconer permittee obtains any permit or license required for this activity by the state into which the raptor is taken.
(3) A nonresident falconer does not need an importation permit to bring a falconry raptor(s) into New Mexico for hunting or attending a falconry meet as provided in Chapter 17-3-32.1 NMSA 1978 Compilation.
E. Temporary holding of raptors: Raptors possessed under authority of a New Mexico falconry permit may be temporarily held or flown by another person (caretaker) at a location different than the falconer's.
(1) The permittee shall provide such caretaker with a signed statement authorizing the temporary transfer of the raptor to the caretaker and the temporary holding facility, as well as a copy of the federal 3186A form showing the permittee legally acquired the raptor.
(2) If the period of care will exceed 120 days, the permittee shall send written notification of such extended temporary care to the department no later than five days prior to the temporary care.
(3) The care of a permittee’s raptor may be extended indefinitely by the department in extenuating circumstances such as illness, military service, or family emergency. Notification shall include the name and location of the caretaker, the reason for the extended temporary care, whether the raptor(s) may be exercised and flown, and approximately how many days the caretaker will be responsible for the raptor(s).
[19.35.8.13 NMAC - Rp, 19 NMAC 35.1.9, 01/01/2012]

sharptail
05-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Hi Geoff,
Here in Wyoming, under the Falconry Regs. no Health Certificate is required for Falconry Birds under the authority of USFWS. Non native raptors not banded with the USFWS band, do require a Health Cert..

Ross
05-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Not required in Iowa or Minnesota

Lee Slikkers
05-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Nor in MI...

goshawkr
05-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys! Keep it coming...

BTW - I already know the story in Utah quite well.

rkumetz
05-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Vermont requires a health certificate and $100 import permit for each bird.

citabria
05-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Ross - according to the MN board of animal health all non poultry birds coming into the state require a certificate of veterinary inspection

http://www.bah.state.mn.us/bah/rules/import-regulations.html

citabria
05-04-2012, 09:35 PM
The concerning thing I have noticed is that an exemption that may exist in the falconry regulations may not be known by the folks enforcing the animal import regulation (typically department of ag). The folks enforcing health certificates will typically refer to the department of ag/board of animal health regulations that cover animal movements. Need to make sure the exemptions get written into the Department of Ag or similar regulations.

This website is the most often used to assess requirement for interstate movement of animals

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml

sharptail
05-04-2012, 10:34 PM
The concerning thing I have noticed is that an exemption that may exist in the falconry regulations may not be known by the folks enforcing the animal import regulation (typically department of ag). The folks enforcing health certificates will typically refer to the department of ag/board of animal health regulations that cover animal movements. Need to make sure the exemptions get written into the Department of Ag or similar regulations.

This website is the most often used to assess requirement for interstate movement of animals

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtmlInteresting concept.

Personally I have never considered my privately owned falconry raptors as a part of aggraculture, but more as privately held, personal pets. I am sure that you are right, that the various depts. of agg., just like USFWS over step their intended purpose and want control were ever they can steal it.

Please don't take my view as a personal attack, it is not meant that way, I am just a little fed up with my, 'not so limited gov't'.

corny13
05-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Geoff

North Dakota does require a health certificate. Not the Game and Fish Dept but the Board of Animal health.

Lowachi
05-05-2012, 04:04 AM
L've never been required in IL. not certain what the new state regs might bring tho. have brought in birds from CO, SD, MN,. ONLY NEEDED FOR AIRLINES, if used, not by state.

Tom Scheib
05-05-2012, 07:45 AM
For state ag departments the reason most state animal import permit requirements are listed there, is to prevent the spread of diseases into commercial herds and flocks.

Today, communicable animal diseases can spread quickly, about 70mph, north, south, east and west along interstate highways. And even faster when traveling by air from country to country.

citabria
05-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Private pets are considered part of agriculture. The regulations for most state specifically cover pets. And yes it is for disease traceback issues. I have been involved in a couple high path Avian Influenza mock outbreak roundtables for our state and health certificates are considered a vital part in the prevention.

keitht
05-05-2012, 08:20 AM
No health certificate requirements for Missouri.

bobpayne
05-05-2012, 09:08 AM
no health certificate required in Kansas

rmayes100
05-05-2012, 10:12 AM
We have been fighting this in Colorado this year and it is the state Department of Agriculture that requires the health certificate. We've met with head ag veterinarian several times to talk about the issue and it becomes a tricky subject pretty quickly. Technically they require a health certificate for everything even if you are bringing a parakeet or a dog into the state, but the reality is no one knows this and no one does it except for us falconers because we are so closely regulated.

We talked to the state vet about getting an exception for falconry birds and he considered it but didn't like the idea of have to "reign us back in" in the event of an emergency if he needed to. About the best we could do this year was try to make the process easier for people, but in the end you are still going to have to find a USDA certified veterinarian in whatever state you are in and get that health cert before you can bring a bird into Colorado.

Tom Scheib
05-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Randy,

I don't understand why you need a USDA certified veterinarian? I've moved many reindeer in and out of CO, all required a certificate of veterinarian inspection, and that certificate was issued by any licensed veterinarian. There may be a requirement to get a permit number from the state office, but I never had a USDA vet do the inspection.

rkumetz
05-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Private pets are considered part of agriculture. The regulations for most state specifically cover pets. And yes it is for disease traceback issues. I have been involved in a couple high path Avian Influenza mock outbreak roundtables for our state and health certificates are considered a vital part in the prevention.

Unless a state is going to "lock things down" tight enough that people traveling have health certificates for their dogs, cats and other pets the value of import permits is zip, zilch and (yes) NONE. They are not however going to do that because it will impact their tourism dollars which are a touchy subject in many places. Tell people that they need a health certificate to take Fido leaf peeping or skiing in Vermont and they will go to somewhere else on vacation. Falconers are unfortunately a small group who represent negligible income for the state so nobody really cares if we are upset about senseless regulations.

citabria
05-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Tom - almost all veterinarians are USDA accredited no need to go to a USDA office.

frootdog
05-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Tom - almost all veterinarians are USDA accredited no need to go to a USDA office.

I beg to differ. I believe most if not all are coming out of school, but in my experience not many (here in TX anyway) keep it up. I work in the field and had a hell of a time finding a USDA certified vet to do my UT HCs. When you called for the import permit # the person there asked for the vet's USDA #. UT was the only time I had ran into that problem though.

rmayes100
05-05-2012, 03:45 PM
As it was explained to me by the state vet is that the USDA accredited vets already have the official books of health certificates, that's why you need to find a certified vet. He seemed legitimately surprised when we said there aren't as many certified vets around as you think (at least that's what we've heard from other falconers having trouble bringing birds back into Colorado) and he assured us that most would be certified soon.

We had a falconer who trapped a Peregrine in Texas recently who couldn't get the health certificate worked out in time to make his flight and ended up not being able to bring the bird back to Colorado. Part of what made the issue complicated is you had to call the Colorado Department of Agriculture office to get an official number for the vet to put on the form, and of course like most government offices they are only open 9-5 M-F or something nearly as inconvenient. Hopefully we've simplified that some now, but the certificates are still required, and the best thing you can do is plan ahead and make sure your covered in such an event.

The worst part is when you scrutinize the health certificate requirement too closely it completely falls down against logic and reason. There are hundreds of pet birds, dogs, cats etc entering the state every week that don't have health certificates because most people are ignorant of the requirement, and it's not like we have road blocks around the Colorado border checking every car, not to mention the millions of wild birds that cross back and forth across state borders on a daily basis. It's strictly an attempt to protect state agriculture interests, and a poor one at that. I'm guessing there is still a large quantity of livestock and poultry crossing the boarder on a regular basis without certificates, just because there is really no one out there enforcing it. If there ever was a serious outbreak of a livestock disease I'm guessing they would have those roadblocks up at the border and all the health certificates in the world wouldn't help you get an animal into the state anyway.

FredFogg
05-05-2012, 04:25 PM
This thread brings up a question, if one hasn't ever had to get a health certificate in their state and doesn't see any thing in the regulations, should one ask and give the Wildlife folks a reason to research it and then all of the sudden start requiring them? This happened here in NC with import permits. When I started falconry 10 years ago, nobody got import permits when they bought birds or trapped birds out of state. One guy screwed up and pissed off the person running our falconry permitting process so they went to his home to find violations (I believe ended up getting him for no bath pans and no import permits) and now, we have a 6 to 8 week wait for one. Grrrrrrrrrrr! Sometimes it is better to don't ask, don't tell! frus) :D

rkumetz
05-05-2012, 05:23 PM
This thread brings up a question, if one hasn't ever had to get a health certificate in their state and doesn't see any thing in the regulations, should one ask and give the Wildlife folks a reason to research it and then all of the sudden start requiring them? This happened here in NC with import permits. When I started falconry 10 years ago, nobody got import permits when they bought birds or trapped birds out of state. One guy screwed up and pissed off the person running our falconry permitting process so they went to his home to find violations (I believe ended up getting him for no bath pans and no import permits) and now, we have a 6 to 8 week wait for one. Grrrrrrrrrrr! Sometimes it is better to don't ask, don't tell! frus) :D

That is a double edged sword. If you don't ask you may get away with it forever. On the other hand if you are all in violation and they decide to pursue it then falconers end up looking bad because they are not complying with the law. Technically it is your responsibility to be in compliance with the law not theirs to tell you that you need a health certificate. Now if they were to tell you in writing that you do NOT need a health certificate that might be a different story.

Tom Scheib
05-06-2012, 07:43 AM
I think you all have made some very good points, and having been in the animal transport business from '83 -'10 one can frequently become very frustrated because how each state does business is different. Frankly I don't know what the solution is. The regs have good intentions but frequently are very difficult to work within. There were times I didn't have the proper paperwork in hand until I arrived at the destination.........it is getting easier, only because of the internet, sending attachments,etc. But it all cost me $s.

faroth10
05-06-2012, 05:52 PM
I think you will find that most states that require a health certificate have large poultry industries.As was pointed out in our meeting with the Colorado Div.of Wildlife, If an imported bird either raptor or game bird, should have Newcastle or Pullorum disease it could go through a poultry industry in a matter of days with a cost of millions to a local economy. This then could be set squarely on us which could result in very bad things for the falconry community. This also affects other animals such as cattle with Brusolosis and horses with Equine Encephalites. I think it would be best to leave sleeping dogs lay than to take on an industrythat by simply having millions of dollars at thier disposal could if they wished crush the falconry community like a bug.

rkumetz
05-06-2012, 07:46 PM
I think the requirement for a health certificate makes a lot more sense then our requirement for a $100 import permit to go along with it. A Vermont pet dealer can bring in a whole truck load of reptiles or caged bird for free. Why falconers pay while a pet dealer does not is a mystery. It is possible that we could bring in more than one bird per permit but that is pretty useless to most of us.

faroth10
05-06-2012, 07:59 PM
The birds from a pet dealer have already been through a quarantine by the Feds for the most part and reptiles are not a factor,However 100.00$ for a permit is rather much. My question would be, does the state charge for game birds brought in as day old chicks.That is if your state allows for put and take hunting clubs,popular for the gun hunters. Or if the flocks have to be certified clear of disease.

Tom Scheib
05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
As I recall, most of my paperwork on a load of reindeer was about $75.00 per load. It didn't matter if there was 1 or 50 in the trailer. I paid the examining veterinarian, the one who put his name and license number on the health certificate and movement form as examining veterinarian. He usually got the import # for any forms by calling the destination state ag office. Seldom did we need to deal with state fish and game/DNR persons.........if we did, that was an entirely new ballgame and it usually wasn't a pleasant experience.

The best place I found to discuss and get changes made to various regulations, fed and state, was to attend the annual meeting of the United States Animal Health Association because the players from all state and federal agencies were at that meeting and were willing to sit with industry and group representatives also attending to improve the various animal health programs.

rkumetz
05-07-2012, 11:58 AM
The birds from a pet dealer have already been through a quarantine by the Feds for the most part and reptiles are not a factor,However 100.00$ for a permit is rather much. My question would be, does the state charge for game birds brought in as day old chicks.That is if your state allows for put and take hunting clubs,popular for the gun hunters. Or if the flocks have to be certified clear of disease.

If you were to compare apples to apples you would need to look at what they do regarding captive bred reptiles or those captured in another state. The beef I have is not really with the health certificate though it is with
the $100 import permit. Why should I have to pay $100 to bring in a single
falconry bird when a pet dealer who will profit from the animal(s) he or she is importing doesn't pay a dime? I haven't found an answer but it may have something to do with the state not being able to charge permit fees for interstate commerce due to some federal regulation.

faroth10
05-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I agree with you, paying a vet for services rendered is one thing but paying for a permit is quite another. In my opinion I think your state is, for want of a better term, sticking it to you. I could understand a few dollars for the permit but 100.is punative. Your state must be in need of funds in a bad way.

goshawkr
05-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I think you will find that most states that require a health certificate have large poultry industries.As was pointed out in our meeting with the Colorado Div.of Wildlife, If an imported bird either raptor or game bird, should have Newcastle or Pullorum disease it could go through a poultry industry in a matter of days with a cost of millions to a local economy. This then could be set squarely on us which could result in very bad things for the falconry community. This also affects other animals such as cattle with Brusolosis and horses with Equine Encephalites. I think it would be best to leave sleeping dogs lay than to take on an industrythat by simply having millions of dollars at thier disposal could if they wished crush the falconry community like a bug.

Don,

If Newcastle or Pullorum or some other avian epidemic takes hold, you would be extremely lucky if the cost is merely in the millions. Hundred of millions to a few billion are much more likely outcomes. And it could well expand well beyond that.

It really is a big deal, which is exactly why the State's agricultural offices take this so serious. When those outbreaks occur, its usually from some quiet backyard aviculturist of some fashion. Falconers exactly mirror that aspect of the model. What does set us apart, and may give us room to ask for excemptions from this is 1) our birds are typically wild, and typcially crossing the borders already and 2) Our birds are not social, and not kept in groups.

Falconry birds may fall victim to Newcastle, but they arent likely to contribute to its spread.

faroth10
05-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Your assesment of the cost is quite accurate I simply did not want to appear to be alarmist. On the other hand using your example it only takes one bird infected to start a pandemic, so why take the chance when it only costs us alittle extra phone contacts and we can be exonerated from any fault and not incuring the wrath of the other interested parties

Tom Scheib
05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Ron,

Who does your paperwork that you pay the $100.00? I'm looking at an old WI Cert of Veterinary Inspection that I used to move 9 reindeer to the Zoo America Park in Hershey PA in Nov of '08.

In the upper right hand corner of the Cert of Vet Insp is the PA import #, the PA ag person contacted and her phone # and date permit issued.

The remainder of the form had to do with health status and accreditations of my herd, who I was, where I lived, etc, and where they were going.

As I said in an earlier post I paid the money for the form, import # from PA, and inspection to the veterinarian that filled out the certificate.

I've never hauled into Vermont so I'm not familiar with their regs. Do you need an additional permit to enter Vermont?

goshawkr
05-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Interesting concept.

Personally I have never considered my privately owned falconry raptors as a part of aggraculture, but more as privately held, personal pets. I am sure that you are right, that the various depts. of agg., just like USFWS over step their intended purpose and want control were ever they can steal it.

Please don't take my view as a personal attack, it is not meant that way, I am just a little fed up with my, 'not so limited gov't'.

Jeff,

I am as much of a small government "dont tread on me" advocate as anyone.

However, the agriculture departments are not overstepping their authority here. They are regulating a potional, if highly unlikely, threat to the poultry agriculture industry.

And if it makes you feel any better about it, they are regulating them AS IF they are personal pets. Most of the big epidemic outbreaks that have impacted the US poultry industry came from personal pets that were smuggled into the country without going through quarantine. None were raptors however, at least not that I know about. Most recently it was fighting cocks (which are of course arguably poultry), but it has been caused by smuggled parrots as well.

rkumetz
05-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Jeff,

I am as much of a small government "dont tread on me" advocate as anyone.

However, the agriculture departments are not overstepping their authority here. They are regulating a potional, if highly unlikely, threat to the poultry agriculture industry.

And if it makes you feel any better about it, they are regulating them AS IF they are personal pets. Most of the big epidemic outbreaks that have impacted the US poultry industry came from personal pets that were smuggled into the country without going through quarantine. None were raptors however, at least not that I know about. Most recently it was fighting cocks (which are of course arguably poultry), but it has been caused by smuggled parrots as well.

In the case of Vermont there are a few facts which discount that argument. First, a out of state falconer (or anyone else) bringing a bird into the state TEMPORARILY doesn't need an import permit. Whether you stay for a day or 6 months it is temporary if you are not a resident. Second, we have no poultry industry to speak of. We have a few egg farms but their birds are kept indoors with the typical safeguards such as foot wash pans, etc.

Another fact which I believe was raised by someone else is that a health certificate for a passage bird is sort of silly. If I trap a bird on Cape May in NJ today that bird may have been flying over my house in Vermont a few days ago.

In the broad picture you can bet that the vast majority of vets signing those certificates looked at the bird and decided using Monty Python logic
(it's not dead) decided that the bird is healthy. My experience is that most vets while well intentioned do not have the knowledge to make that judgment on birds of prey. It is likely that most falconers would sense something wrong with their bird and find help long before most vets could recognize the existence of a problem because the majority of them
only deal with dogs & cats on a daily basis.

faroth10
05-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Again! Culpability for an outbreak is transfered from the falconer to the state if it were to be seen by a vet before being transported. Remember that a large percentage of falconry birds are the product of capitive breeding, so the debate concerning wild trapped birds is negated. Having your bird seen by a vet just like horses,cattle swine and poultry is a small price to pay to 1)Maintain a strong economy in states which depend on agriculture and 2) Defer the blame if or when a falconry bird is found to be diseased. Take your pick get your bird checked or take the chance that your state could shut down importation of birds period.

rkumetz
05-08-2012, 04:34 PM
If a state has a big poultry industry and would like to check the health of imported birds I get that BUT it only makes sense if they can check EVERY bird that is imported including people who stick Polly in their RV and trek off to a campground in that state. That of course also assumes that the
vet who signs the certificate knows what he or she is doing around birds
and does actual tests for communicable avian diseases.

I am not arguing about he blame pointing and all of that political stuff just the sensibility of the certificates. I realize how the political blame pointing game goes.

In our case if the state of VT decides to shut down falconry bird imports for any reason however whimsical they will just do it. There are 10 falconers and the official line is that our fees don't even pay for us so we have zero
political clout regardless of whether there is an avian epidemic scare or not.

rkumetz
05-08-2012, 04:37 PM
The topic seems to have diverged a bit from what I believe the original poster intended it to be: Collecting a list of the state requirements for health certificates to presumably form a list.....

BTW is anyone actually keeping the list?

Dirthawking
05-16-2012, 09:47 PM
BTW is anyone actually keeping the list?

If a list of all the states is actually generated, verified correct, and gotten to me I will post it as a sticky just like I have been the vet information for every state/country.