PDA

View Full Version : New!

Mattspragoo
05-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Hello all,

New guy here from Frederick, Maryland. 21 year old male student studying Biology and Chinese at Towson University. Have been interested in the sport and fascinated by raptors since about 12...After reading "My Side of the Mountain". Thought it would be a phase, just from reading a cool story....but the interest in becoming a facloner keeps biting me. The last year, a lot. This past 6 months its been strong and now it is keeping me up at night and all I think about doing. Something needs to be done..

I have modified my life from living in a city (Baltimore), now back to the parents house in the suburbs by the appalachain mountains, large backyard for a mews and tons of open space to hunt all over the county....and I have permission to build the mews and go forward in this sport from the parents. I've made the decision that I am ready to dedicate whatever I need to particitpate in the sport.

Starting to delve deeper into into falconry... reading a lot and got the Apprentice Handbook from the California Hawking Club and plan to take the test this summer....I am looking for a sponsor...so if anyone knows one from MD, VA or PA. let me know. I am willing to travel!

I am very excited about this and hope to get to know all of you.

-Matt

oldguy
05-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful insanity that is falconry !

Are you studying Mandarin ? Good language to know. Good way to make friends with some Chinese falconers. :D

Dachmelehad
05-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the forum!

While you're studying, another good thing to learn is some leatherworking, to make jesses, anklets, bewits, hoods, and other furniture. Good luck!

Joby
05-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Welcome to our madness!

Keith Denman
05-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Welcome aboard and good luck when you take the exam. Hopefully you will find a sponsor quickly and be able to get a bird soon. What type of game are you wanting to hunt up there?

Mattspragoo
05-13-2012, 11:33 PM
I'd like to hunt with a red-tail. Just squirrels, rabbits and the occasional bird.

Mattspragoo
05-13-2012, 11:35 PM
And yes, Mandarin. I don't know what I am going to do with it, but I love studying it.

Manganese
05-14-2012, 01:16 AM
welcome matt, i was also memorized by that book when i was 12, but at the time "falconry" couldn't have been more of a foreign thought for me. lol

Falcon Boy
05-14-2012, 01:32 AM
Hi Matt. I grew up just outside of frederick. You have some great RT trapping and even better squirrel hawking opportunities!

Mattspragoo
05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
I know they are everywhere! And there is tons of open space. I am very excited to get started....And a quick question if anyone is reading, can you take the test before you get a sponsor or is it the other way around?

Dachmelehad
05-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Matt, it depends on the state. Look up your state regs to see if they require a sponsor before the examination - some states do, some states don't. In some cases, such as VA, where you're required to have your mews built when you take the exam, it's better to have a sponsor before you take the exam even though the state does not require it.

sharptail
05-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Welcome aboard Matt, enjoy the ride.