PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

HawkMan16
05-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi I'm Gerry Laplante and I would like to get started falconry. I first learned about falconry in spring last year and I've been hooked on it ever since. I've done a lot of research online and a read books and I think it will be really fun. Right now I'm trying to find a falconer around Crystal River FL who would be willing to sponsoring me. Please respond if you are interested is sponsoring or have a few tips you think I should know.

Thanks,
Gerry Laplante

Joby
05-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Welcome Gerry!! The fever that's got you now will not be letting up anytime soon!! My suggestion regarding finding a sponsor would be to join your state's club. They should be able to provide you with the name of falconers in your area. Unfortunately, posting a request on forum's such as this are seldom if ever effective. In fact, they might work against you. Most potential sponsors will want to meet you first before agreeing to take you on. I personally require my apprentices to have spent at least a half a season in the field with me before I decide whether or not I'm going to take them on or not. Keep in mind that any potential sponsor will be agreeing to giving you two years of their life. So, getting to know you a bit better is actually a good thing for both sides! lol Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you like.

sharptail
05-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Welcome aboard Gerry!

RT Alison
05-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Joby has it right on the mark. Don't get discouraged, contact a club in the state or find a falconer nearby. Be sure to get any packets of info from your state's Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. ATB

HawkMan16
05-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Ok thanks guys I hadn't thought of that. I'll get signed up to my state's falconry club as soon as I can.

Joby
05-15-2012, 05:56 PM
If I'm correct, there are actually two different clubs in Florida. Don't know if both of them are still active or not, but they'll be your best bet.

HawkMan16
05-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Yeah there are two clubs one of them has annual meets and the other I think is there to help you if you have questions. But I'm not 100% sure on the second one.

Gerry Laplante

ericedw
05-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Gerry,
I believe you emailed me through the Floirda Falconers' Association. I'm sure I probably sent you to NAFEX to connect with falconers.

Most I've sent here have had good luck contacting falconers in their state, it's a good place to start.

If you don't find someone here it's still a great place to look around and learn more about the sport. There are a few falconers on here that are in the Crystal River area but if you don't hear from anyone shoot me another email (or PM through NAFEX) and I'll get you a few names and numbers.

Also keep in mind that finding a "sponsor" is really not the first step in the process in my opinion. Meet a few falconers, go hunting with them and start learning the sport. Make sure it's right for you, pass your test, start getting your equipment and building facilities. Getting someone to agree to sign a piece of paper to "sponsor" you is really the last step in a long process.