PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Internship: Week 1

Venomlust
05-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Hey everyone, just started a summerlong internship in Yellowstone. Here are some selected pictures from my first week. Hope you like them.

http://photobucket.com/yellowstoneweek1

California Native
05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Hey everyone, just started a summerlong internship in Yellowstone, here are some selected pictures from my first week. Hope you like them.

http://photobucket.com/yellowstoneweek1

What is your job there ? Beautiful place.

Dan

Venomlust
05-24-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm interning with the bird department for the Yellowstone Raptor Initiative. Relatively new program studying the breeding raptors in the park. Pretty much a dream come true amennn. Weather has restricted our ability to observe nests/scrapes this past week but hopefully after next week it will get better.

California Native
05-25-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm interning with the bird department for the Yellowstone Raptor Initiative. Relatively new program studying the breeding raptors in the park. Pretty much a dream come true amennn. Weather has restricted our ability to observe nests/scrapes this past week but hopefully after next week it will get better.

Alex,

Is Joel Pagel connected to this program? I worked with him when he was in Oregon.

Dan

Venomlust
05-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Not that I know of. My team is quite small in terms of the people directly working with birds, and so far I haven't met or heard of a Joel.

However, people shuffle about between projects and departments, so it's possible. I'm still meeting folks, and many have come and gone.

California Native
05-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Not that I know of. My team is quite small in terms of the people directly working with birds, and so far I haven't met or heard of a Joel.

However, people shuffle about between projects and departments, so it's possible. I'm still meeting folks, and many have come and gone.

Joel is primarily a peregrine biologist and that's what he worked on in this state. I know he has been working on them in Yellowstone. Maybe you will run across him. If you have the chance, and he is there, he has been involved with the peregrine for a long time.
Dan

Venomlust
05-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Awesome, I hope I have the luck to run into him, then!

California Native
05-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Awesome, I hope I have the luck to run into him, then!
Alex,

Just ask those you work for and they may be able to direct you to Joel.

Dan

Venomlust
05-26-2012, 10:03 AM
I'll do that. He also may have been referenced in the summary of 2011's work that I read through last week. A few biologists outside NPS were helping with the YRI work, so you could be right about him being involved directly. I'll find out.

Meagan
05-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I fell in love with Yellowstone after my first visit last year. We are going again this year during the week of July 4th and I am already in the stages of planning a visit for winter. The best thing I ever witnessed was hiking a back country trail last year and a storm was moving in, and on the front of this storm were three young peregrine falcons playing on the wind. Have fun and enjoy!

Venomlust
05-27-2012, 04:16 PM
That's awesome, Meagan. I hope I see some stuff like that!

Have a great visit this summer and coming winter, as well.