PDA

View Full Version : Painting

RjohnD
05-29-2012, 09:35 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/brom78/hybridfalcon_by_robertjohn-d47874d.jpg

Painting i did recently .
for some reason whenever i start thinking about birds of prey i get really inspired

Barticus
05-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow! At first glance I thought it was a photo.

east coast gos
05-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Awsome!!!

Keith Denman
05-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Magnifcent haill

RjohnD
05-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Thank you for saying so ! ill be posting more work from time to time .

Keith Denman
05-30-2012, 08:55 AM
That would be great I will keep checking back

MrBill
05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
VERY NICE, John!

Bill Boni

High Desert Hawker
05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Beautiful !!

Shehawker
05-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Awsome, is that Acrylic?

RjohnD
05-30-2012, 10:55 AM
=) A magician never gives up his secrets
Actually i work digitally .
Software called Corel Painter 12, these days more and more of the art world is leaning towards digital medium . but i will take it as a massive compliment that you did think it was acrylic

Keith Denman
05-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Software called Corel Painter 12, these days more and more of the art world is leaning towards digital medium . but i will take it as a massive compliment that you did think it was acrylic
I use photoshop and adobe I started off many years ago with Corel like 20 yrs ago but now use adobe photo shop. That is some beautiful work you do.

RjohnD
05-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Photoshop is great and i do use it , normally in conjunction with Illustrator , and sometimes i mix photoshop and Painter .

every program has its pros and cons . i use painter for all sketches and when i want to treat the medium more like paint, the brush generator is amazing in painter and it has a work flow that i find more intuitive . i also really love being able to realtime rotate the canvas . add in my Cintiq and its all over but for the singing .

Painter and illustrator i use when im designing a logo , or when im making a Tshirt,

Greg
05-30-2012, 12:48 PM

So can you call it a painting as there is no paint involved?

Keith Denman
05-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Photoshop is great and i do use it , normally in conjunction with Illustrator , and sometimes i mix photoshop and Painter .

every program has its pros and cons . i use painter for all sketches and when i want to treat the medium more like paint, the brush generator is amazing in painter and it has a work flow that i find more intuitive . i also really love being able to realtime rotate the canvas . add in my Cintiq and its all over but for the singing .

Painter and illustrator i use when im designing a logo , or when im making a Tshirt,
I did a little work in Illustrator but never got into it a lot. Wish i would have I am learning indesign now.

RjohnD
05-30-2012, 01:10 PM
So can you call it a painting as there is no paint involved?

Hi Greg ,

Yes , you can actually still call it a painting . =P painting actually describes the action. you can paint in several different "mediums" . LOL not that im getting defensive about it or anything -=)

Illustrator is a massive pain , but once you get used ti it it is super easy and you can make some really great images with it . if you ever start messing with it i suggest getting some pluggins from http://www.astutegraphics.com, they made life with illustrator so much easier

Greg
05-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Hi Greg ,

Yes , you can actually still call it a painting . =P painting actually describes the action. you can paint in several different "mediums" . LOL not that im getting defensive about it or anything -=)

Illustrator is a massive pain , but once you get used ti it it is super easy and you can make some really great images with it . if you ever start messing with it i suggest getting some pluggins from http://www.astutegraphics.com, they made life with illustrator so much easier

Please don't get defensive as the question was out of interest! It does look very good but I'm not all that sure how you would go about printing it out in a manner that would A, do justice to the work and B, be robust enough to display. Just about all the computer prints that I have seen fair very poorly in sunlight. I paint using Acrylics which are very robust!
Greg

Keith Denman
05-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks I added that plugin link to my favorites so if I ever get on Illustrator I will get the addons

RjohnD
05-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Printing out digital work is best if you print with a giclee printer ( its a french word which i believe actually means , to spit ) i've actually work in a gallery which sold primarily prints on canvas in giclee and you not tell a difference between that and the actual painting. all this to say it is possible.

i used to work strictly in acrylics but as time went on and some of my deadlines got shorter switching to digital medium was necessary . its a lot more forgiving and when it comes to working with clients "forgiving"is necessary . =). you are right though, acrylics are alot of fun and very versatile .

And dont worry Greg , if i was ever really defensive it primarily with my self . i used to be such a hard line traditional media guy , but times change =)

falcon56
05-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Am I the only one that sees the beak is way off? Technically, the piece is pretty good, but the beak doesn't belong. Sorry for the criticism, but if someone doesn't say something about it, you may not see it.

Chris Proctor
05-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Am I the only one that sees the beak is way off? Technically, the piece is pretty good, but the beak doesn't belong. Sorry for the criticism, but if someone doesn't say something about it, you may not see it.

I was going to suggest a cope to the person who's bird this is. The art is great, but the beak needs some coping :)

falcon56
05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
I was going to suggest a cope to the person who's bird this is. The art is great, but the beak needs some coping :)

If this is a rendering of some ones bird, that would be a serious understatement! Is it supposed to be a kestrel?

STait
05-31-2012, 09:20 AM
It is a nice piece of work with brilliant colors. However, a bit too soft for me and yeah, the tooth on the beak shouldn't go below the bottom of the lower mandible.

I was wondering about the media too, before you posted it was digital. I've painted with oils, watercolor, gouache, egg tempra, etc., and have never seen anything quite like this. I have seen some very cool stuff done digitally though. I'd imagine once you get good at it it gets easier and faster than real paint, and even though I'd like to try it, I doubt I could ever spend the time to learn it.

Nice work,

RjohnD
05-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the kind words !
it is somebodies bird but im not sure whos bird or even seen the bird in person . it was just some picture i was using as reference. it was the first weekend that i had my Cintiq ( which is a drawing tablet for the PC with a monitor built into it, its super sexy if you are an artist ) . i tried to look through my Morgue to see if i can find the picture i used for reference, but that file has sooooo many other files , and none of them are labeled and i didn't even separate animals from people and scenery and buildings .. its all a mishmash in there . i see a weekend project in my near future .

as to the type of bird . i labeled it Hybrid, probably because the image had it labeled as a Saker hybrid .but i am not aware of the rest .

Shehawker
05-31-2012, 10:52 AM
So what the medium setting you were painting in? Cintiq thats pretty cool, had one of the less fancy wacom tablets for a few months but ended up selling it as I didn't have a decent enough computer or a painting program to really play with it. Love the idea though and the total lack of mess digital painting provides.

RjohnD
06-05-2012, 01:18 PM
So what the medium setting you were painting in? Cintiq thats pretty cool, had one of the less fancy wacom tablets for a few months but ended up selling it as I didn't have a decent enough computer or a painting program to really play with it. Love the idea though and the total lack of mess digital painting provides.

When i work digitally i dont focus on any one medium . it more like , whatever creates the right look . ive been none to mix the airbrush with the acrylics with the inks with whatever else i can bride the computer into doing for me

Venomlust
06-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Great work!

I've had a bamboo wacom tablet that I'm only now starting to practice with seriously. I don't know much about the cintiq but it sounds fancy.

Thanks for the link to the plugins for illustrator, I'll give them a shot. AI isn't exactly super intuitive (to me, anyway) but I'm learning. I hope to produce something close to this some day! I'd be happy.

RjohnD
06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Great work!

I've had a bamboo wacom tablet that I'm only now starting to practice with seriously. I don't know much about the cintiq but it sounds fancy.

Thanks for the link to the plugins for illustrator, I'll give them a shot. AI isn't exactly super intuitive (to me, anyway) but I'm learning. I hope to produce something close to this some day! I'd be happy.
No you are right Illustrator is not intuitive at all .
there is alot of planing ahead you have to do . i was resistant to illustrator for a ling time but i found watching tutorials and those plugins were a big help in getting that light bulb to go off .

Venomlust
06-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I've checked out a few tutorials myself to great effect.

Simple things, like using keyboard shortcuts to rapidly change between grabber, brushes, zoom, etc.... SO useful! Just didn't dawn on me right away, and I'm familiar with this type of program. No excuse :D.

A lot of what I want to do is sketch. I'm just so used to a pencil on paper, isn't quite the same in illustrator. With some tweaking, custom brushes/pressure sensitivity and whatnot it's getting better, but not great. I'm half tempted to just keep drawing on paper and then scanning it, but I feel this would keep me from really getting good with the tablet.

RjohnD
06-05-2012, 09:46 PM
For the more paper and marking utensil feel then you really want to stick to painter or Photoshop . out of the 2 i prefer painter mainly because for the money there isn't alot that i would use Photoshop for that painter can do ... and may a little better . and if money is still an issue then i would say gimp or sketch book pro .

Illustrator is not in any way a drawing tool . illustrator seems to be better if you are using it it for graphic design reasons . which is nothing like painting .

Venomlust
06-05-2012, 09:51 PM
That makes sense, given all the vector stuff. I'll give photoshop a try, and get back to you with my progress (hopefully I make some frus)).